Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Christ's Commandments?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Angel

I need help understanding these words of Christ:

John 14:15 “If you love me, obey my commandments.

John 14:21 Those who accept my commandments and obey them are the ones who love me.

What are the commandments we are supposed to obey? I'm confused.

That's about half of it. Jesus said what His commandments are to us. There are two:
"You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets." (Jesus, Matt 22:37-40, ESV) Anything more is either Jewish law or is man made rules. If you are doing something out of love for God or love for your neighbor it seems it will please Jesus.

I did find this verse:

John 15:17 This is my command: Love each other.

Are there others?
2 Jn 1:5 And now I beseech thee, lady, not as though I wrote a new commandment unto thee, but that which we had from the beginning, that we love one another.

2 Jn 1:6 And this is love, that we walk after his commandments.

1 Jn 3:23 And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

Gal 5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

I need help understanding these words of Christ:

John 14:15 “If you love me, obey my commandments.

John 14:21 Those who accept my commandments and obey them are the ones who love me.

What are the commandments we are supposed to obey? I'm confused.
(John 15:10) (1 John 2:3-11) (1 Cor. 13: 1-13) But this Godly love does not come by human nature (John 3:3-8) The greatest commandments are the commandments of Christ (Matt. 22:34-40) Comparing the love of God to the love of man can be confusing. They are two different things.

John 14:21 AMP maybe the biggest scripture in the bible. This commandment can only be accomplish when a Believers faith remains exclusively and firmly in Christ and the Cross.

That's what Jesus was talking about when He said, "For whosoever will save his life shall lose it (try to live one's life outside of Christ and the Cross): but whosoever will lose his life for My sake, the same shall save it (when we place our faith entirely in Christ and the Cross, looking exclusively to Him, we have just found 'more abundant life' [John 10:10]" (Luke 9:24)

I did find this verse:

John 15:17 This is my command: Love each other.

Are there others?

Angel - This command is what makes all commands possible.
Galatians 5:14 The entire law is summed up in a single command: "Love your neighbor as yourself".

Romans 13:9-10 The commandments, "Do not commit adultery," Do not murder," Do not steal," "Do not covet," and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: "Love your neighbor as yourself." Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

So you are correct in your understanding!

Also, as Eugene stated. John 6:29 Jesus answered, "The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent."

Last edited:
Hello Angel. Whenever I've thought of Jesus' Commands, first I look at the 10 Commandments in Exodus 20. Then I go to Matthew Chapter 5 and study the sermon on the mount. Here Jesus give us a practical explanation of the 10 Commandments. When I say "study" the beatitudes, I mean go slow and digest what Jesus is saying.

I hope this helps.

p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; direction: ltr; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); line-height: 120%; }p.western { font-family: "Calibri",sans-serif; font-size: 11pt; }p.cjk { font-family: "Calibri",sans-serif; font-size: 11pt; }p.ctl { font-family: "Times New Roman",serif; font-size: 11pt; }

Matthew 22

36“Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?”

37Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’

38This is the first and great commandment.

39And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’

40On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”

Eph 6:2

Honor thy father and mother

Matt 19: 18

He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,

Matt 19: 19

Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Mark 10: 19

Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother.

Luke 10: 27

And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.

Luke 10: 28

he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.

John 13: 34

A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

John 14: 15

If ye love me, keep my commandments.

John 15: 10

If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

John 15: 12

This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

John 15: 13

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

John 15: 14

Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.

There are laws (commandments) that were especially written just for the Hebrews pertaining to the rituals of the Temple, sacrifices, festivals, Torah, Kohanim and Levites, the King and the Nazarite and then there are the existing moral laws (commandments) for all of us to still follow and the greatest is love, Matthew 22:35-38, and when we follow just the greatest of the commandments then we know how to handle all things in love such as in prayers and blessings, love and brotherhood, the poor and unfortunate, treatment of the Gentiles, Marriage, divorce and family, forbidden sexual relations, business practices, employees and servants, vows, oaths, swearing, Court and Judicial procedures, injuries and damages, property and property rights, Criminal laws, prophecy, idolatry and all its practices as the moral laws (commandments) keep us in line with the will of God that we present ourselves a vessel of honor that God delights in as we allow the light of Christ shine in us and through us as a testimony of Gods grace and mercy as it is not ourselves that do any good thing, but Gods Spirit working in us and through us as we surrender our will to that of Gods will to be done.

Hello Angel,
I went to sleep early yesterday but I notice you have some very good answers here. Every command Jesus gave to us is summed up in His explanation of the greatest commandment. His first is a summation of the first four of the Ten Commandments and the second is the summation of the remaining six.

Anyone that can keep these two will keep every command Jesus/God has ever given us.

O my ... time for a
iam.gif
group hug .... everyone in agreement
images

Hello Angel,
I went to sleep early yesterday but I notice you have some very good answers here. Every command Jesus gave to us is summed up in His explanation of the greatest commandment. His first is a summation of the first four of the Ten Commandments and the second is the summation of the remaining six.

Anyone that can keep these two will keep every command Jesus/God has ever given us.
Keep what two?

Matthew 22:37 Jesus replied, “‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’38 This is the first and greatest commandment.39 A second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’40 The entire law and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments.”

So if I love others, I will keep all of Christ's Commandments?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back