Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Christ's righteousness

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

andy

At my discipleship study course yesterday, it was revealed to me that Christians shouldn't think more of themselves if they do a godly deed (ie. witness, bring someone to church service),less of themselves if they sin,or call themselves a "poor Christian" if they feel they are not doing sufficient work for God. This is because, as believers, we are clothed in Christ's imputed righteousness,and therefore stand upright before God. If we go to the wardrobe and put a further set of clothes on,this makes Christ's righteousness appear insufficient of itself (it needs something from ourselves added to it to make us complete). Thinking this way can cause us to become self-righteous,feeling superior to others, or believing that God owes us a favour for our good works. If we believe in Christ, whether we died today, next week,or in 50 years time,we would still appear bolt upright before God (not slanted or horizontal). Make sure that in all works of God,even in prayer and reading scripture,we are doing them for the right reasons - to draw nearer and to glorify Him. :pray

At my discipleship study course yesterday, it was revealed to me that Christians shouldn't think more of themselves if they do a godly deed (ie. witness, bring someone to church service),less of themselves if they sin,or call themselves a "poor Christian" if they feel they are not doing sufficient work for God. This is because, as believers, we are clothed in Christ's imputed righteousness,and therefore stand upright before God. If we go to the wardrobe and put a further set of clothes on,this makes Christ's righteousness appear insufficient of itself (it needs something from ourselves added to it to make us complete). Thinking this way can cause us to become self-righteous,feeling superior to others, or believing that God owes us a favour for our good works. If we believe in Christ, whether we died today, next week,or in 50 years time,we would still appear bolt upright before God (not slanted or horizontal). Make sure that in all works of God,even in prayer and reading scripture,we are doing them for the right reasons - to draw nearer and to glorify Him. :pray
I would agree in general terms with this, the idea and purpose of the gospel is that we would be conformed to the Image of Christ. If we are trying to established our own righteousness, then we are not focused upon His.
I believe it is clear that we should not sin and always seek to keep our conscience pure before the Lord, but thankfully our relationship with God is not based upon our ability.

Ro 6:19 I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness.
Ro 7:5 For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death. {motions: Gr. passions}
Ro 7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
Ro 7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.
Ro 8:1 ¶ There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
Ro 8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: {for sin: or, by a sacrifice for sin}
Ro 8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

At my discipleship study course yesterday, it was revealed to me that Christians shouldn't think more of themselves if they do a godly deed (ie. witness, bring someone to church service),less of themselves if they sin,or call themselves a "poor Christian" if they feel they are not doing sufficient work for God.
As Paul said, "I am what I am by the GRACE OF GOD." And also, "but it was not I, but the grace of God that was with me."

We should not boast in our good works, nor should be grow weary in doing good and encourage one another to continue the good fight of faith and let our works flow through faith working through love to transform our communities. A Christian without any works, who doesn't show any kind of transformation or fruit should indeed be evaluating himself though, faith without works is dead.

This is because, as believers, we are clothed in Christ's imputed righteousness,and therefore stand upright before God. If we go to the wardrobe and put a further set of clothes on,this makes Christ's righteousness appear insufficient of itself (it needs something from ourselves added to it to make us complete).
Well, personally I disagree with the view that Justification is by merit of Christ's righteousness being imputed to us. That he had a perfect active obedience in obeying the law on our behalf and did what we could not do, and that moral goodness (righteousness) is then imputed or counted to us.

There are a lot of reasons why I disagree:

1. The Law righteous requirement is not fulfilled in Jesus, but by those who walk according to the Spirit (see Romans 8).
2. I don't think Paul's use of the word Righteous and Justified were purely moral and legal in nature but I think are often related to Covenant Membership and faithfulness (this would take a LONG time to discuss).
3. John said in his first epistle, that we should not be deceived, for whoever practices righteousness that one is righteous, even as He is righteous. Those who claim to be righteous but don't actually practice righteousness are not actually righteous according to the Bible.
4. I don't think Paul was meaning to give the complete answer to "how can I be saved?" by discussing the doctrine of Justification. I think it is more related to Covenant Membership, and the inclusion of the Gentiles into the people of God, if you'll just investigate the primary passages, Romans 3-4 and Galatians 2-3, you'll find that they are dealing with specifically the issue of Gentiles being part of the people of God.

If we do not address the issues that Paul was responding to, and simply read him as if he is refuting the Roman Catholic Church of the 16th Century, we will create all kinds of anachronisms and do damage to our interpretation.

Thinking this way can cause us to become self-righteous,feeling superior to others, or believing that God owes us a favour for our good works. If we believe in Christ, whether we died today, next week,or in 50 years time,we would still appear bolt upright before God (not slanted or horizontal). Make sure that in all works of God,even in prayer and reading scripture,we are doing them for the right reasons - to draw nearer and to glorify Him.
And one doesn't have to believe that I am somehow clothed in someone else's righteousness to do this, for "I am who I am by the grace of God." The grace of God that saved me, empowers the believer to walk in newness of life to live in holiness and righteousness.. and not just in some legal sense.

Hope this helps,
Servant of Jesus

Hi Andy,

Welcome to the board. I'd have to disagree with the point about Christ's righteousness, it is not imputed to the believer. That is a teaching that is rather modern in Christian teaching. The Scriptures say that it was Abraham's faith that was counted as righteousness. One is imputed righteous by God based on his/her faith. The righteousness of Christ is not imputed to the believer, this idea cannot be found taught in Scripture. I believe it is drawn from a misunderstanding of Romans 10:3

Hi Andy, Welcome to the board. I'd have to disagree with the point about Christ's righteousness, it is not imputed to the believer. That is a teaching that is rather modern in Christian teaching. The Scriptures say that it was Abraham's faith that was counted as righteousness. One is imputed righteous by God based on his/her faith. The righteousness of Christ is not imputed to the believer, this idea cannot be found taught in Scripture. I believe it is drawn from a misunderstanding of Romans 10:3

Romans 10:3 is not the only verse that clearly points to us being saved through Christ's righteousness. In 2 Peter 1:1, it says, "Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Savior Jesus Christ." We have obtained faith through the righteousness of God and of Jesus.

Hi Andy, Welcome to the board. I'd have to disagree with the point about Christ's righteousness, it is not imputed to the believer. That is a teaching that is rather modern in Christian teaching. The Scriptures say that it was Abraham's faith that was counted as righteousness. One is imputed righteous by God based on his/her faith. The righteousness of Christ is not imputed to the believer, this idea cannot be found taught in Scripture. I believe it is drawn from a misunderstanding of Romans 10:3

Romans 10:3 is not the only verse that clearly points to us being saved through Christ's righteousness. In 2 Peter 1:1, it says, "Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Savior Jesus Christ." We have obtained faith through the righteousness of God and of Jesus.

Hi [MENTION=96527]MissDee[/MENTION]:

I think there could also be a case for say it's taught or implied that Christ's righteousness is imputed, in 1 Corinthians 1.30, as well. (What do you think?)

The phrase 'the righteousness of God' is more usually found, though. We can also be reminded of the unity and equality of the Persons of the Trinity.

Blessings.

I agree. Religion will not agree with you though.

He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him. (2 Corinthians 5:21)

We have to have Christs righteousness imputed to us because a absolute Righteous God cannot have a relationship with an unrighteous creature.

As perfect and absolute righteousness, God rejects all forms of righteousness that do not measure up to His perfect righteousness. This means that all forms of human righteousness cannot ever measure up to God’s perfect standard. Isaiah 64:6 tells us exactly where human righteousness will get us with God.

For all of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous deeds are like a filthy garment; And all of us wither like a leaf, and our iniquities, like the wind, take us away. (Isaiah 64:6)

Man’s concept of righteousness is relative to what is learned, observed or experienced in life. No human being, except Jesus Christ, has ever had the capability to measure up to God’s absolute divine standard of righteousness by self‑effort. This is shown in Psalms 14:3, Romans 3:23, and Titus 3:5.

They have all turned aside, together they have become corrupt; There is no one who does good, not even one. (Psalms 14:3)

For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. (Romans 3:23)

He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit. (Titus 3:5)

He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him. (2 Corinthians 5:21)

Even the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all those who believe; for there is no distinction. (Romans 3:22)

Romans 4:24~~but for our sake also, to whom it will be credited, as those who believe in Him who raised Jesus our Lord from the dead, 25[He] who was delivered over because of our transgressions, and was raised because of our justification.

I agree. Religion will not agree with you though.

We have to have Christs righteousness imputed to us because a absolute Righteous God cannot have a relationship with an unrighteous creature.

As perfect and absolute righteousness, God rejects all forms of righteousness that do not measure up to His perfect righteousness. This means that all forms of human righteousness cannot ever measure up to God’s perfect standard. Isaiah 64:6 tells us exactly where human righteousness will get us with God.

For all of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous deeds are like a filthy garment; And all of us wither like a leaf, and our iniquities, like the wind, take us away. (Isaiah 64:6)

Man’s concept of righteousness is relative to what is learned, observed or experienced in life. No human being, except Jesus Christ, has ever had the capability to measure up to God’s absolute divine standard of righteousness by self‑effort. This is shown in Psalms 14:3, Romans 3:23, and Titus 3:5.

They have all turned aside, together they have become corrupt; There is no one who does good, not even one. (Psalms 14:3)

For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. (Romans 3:23)

He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit. (Titus 3:5)

Even the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all those who believe; for there is no distinction. (Romans 3:22)

Romans 4:24~~but for our sake also, to whom it will be credited, as those who believe in Him who raised Jesus our Lord from the dead, 25[He] who was delivered over because of our transgressions, and was raised because of our justification.
Good post:thumbsup

Make sure that in all works of God,even in prayer and reading scripture,we are doing them for the right reasons - to draw nearer and to glorify Him.

I agree with you Andy. That's a wonderful teaching. We can never be righteous enough, only because He is righteous are we made righteous.
Your's was the first post I read this morning. Thank you for your encouragement and instruction.

MissDee,

God's righteousness means being declared righteous by God rather than by one's self. Paul teaches that Abraham believed God and it (Abraham's Fatih) was counted as righteousness. Christ's righteousness was not imputed to Abraham, he was simply declare righteous on the basis of his faith. There is nothing in Scripture that teaches that Christ's righteousness is imputed to the believer.

Ro 4:11 And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had yet being uncircumcised: that he might be the father of all them that believe, though they be not circumcised; that righteousness might be imputed unto them also:
Ro 4:22 And therefore it was imputed to him for righteousness.
Ro 4:23 ¶ Now it was not written for his sake alone, that it was imputed to him;
Ro 4:24 But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead;
Ro 5:13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.
Ga 3:6 ¶ Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness. {accounted: or, imputed }
Jas 2:23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

3049. logizomai logizomai, log-id'-zom-ahee
Search for 3049 in KJV

middle voice from 3056; to take an inventory, i.e. estimate (literally or figuratively):--conclude, (ac-)count (of), + despise, esteem, impute, lay, number, reason, reckon, suppose, think (on).

Ro 4:11 And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had yet being uncircumcised: that he might be the father of all them that believe, though they be not circumcised; that righteousness might be imputed unto them also:
Ro 4:22 And therefore it was imputed to him for righteousness.
Ro 4:23 ¶ Now it was not written for his sake alone, that it was imputed to him;
Ro 4:24 But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead;
Ro 5:13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.
Ga 3:6 ¶ Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness. {accounted: or, imputed }
Jas 2:23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

3049. logizomai logizomai, log-id'-zom-ahee
Search for 3049 in KJV

middle voice from 3056; to take an inventory, i.e. estimate (literally or figuratively):--conclude, (ac-)count (of), + despise, esteem, impute, lay, number, reason, reckon, suppose, think (on).

Your ahead of me! Great post.

I would like to add one thing. the Concordance says Middle voice from 3056~~logeia.

In Romans 4:3-4 logizomai is used in the Passive Voice in the 26th ed. Nestles, Allen Text, American Bible Society and the New York
Gramcord Institute, 2218 NE Brookview Dr,; Vancouver WA 98686.

Which would support the notion of imputation.

MissDee,

God's righteousness means being declared righteous by God rather than by one's self. Paul teaches that Abraham believed God and it (Abraham's Fatih) was counted as righteousness. Christ's righteousness was not imputed to Abraham, he was simply declare righteous on the basis of his faith. There is nothing in Scripture that teaches that Christ's righteousness is imputed to the believer.

Butch:

Actually [MENTION=96527]MissDee[/MENTION] seems to be right; she has cited passages which seem to suggest that it's reasonable to say that Christ's righteousness is imputed to the believer; there may be one or two more such passages, also.

But, yes, mainly in the New Testament (Romans, etc.) it's stated that God's righteousness is imputed.

it's stated that God's righteousness is imputed.

Yes, and praise God for that because without that we could never be this....

Matt 5:48
King James Version (KJV)
48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

PS: [MENTION=96527]MissDee[/MENTION], @Butch: Also it's good to remember that, when considering the Godhead and the work of redemption in Scripture, Father, Son and Holy Spirit always work in complete harmony with one another: kind of a background observation to the matter being discussed.

it's stated that God's righteousness is imputed.

Yes, and praise God for that because without that we could never be this....

Matt 5:48
King James Version (KJV)
48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

That is spot on Deb. I think I was reading in a different thread about this verse. And what is being discussed on this thread is how we are perfect.....In Christ and His Righteousness is How we are perfect. it could be no other way.

I think there could also be a case for say it's taught or implied that Christ's righteousness is imputed, in 1 Corinthians 1.30, as well. (What do you think?) The phrase 'the righteousness of God' is more usually found, though. We can also be reminded of the unity and equality of the Persons of the Trinity. Blessings.

Yeah, that is another good verse. Guess I missed that one.

Also in Philemon 1:11, it says, Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God. In other words, our righteousness is by (or from) Jesus Christ.

None of us could possibly hope to attain to righteousness on our own. Our sins were imputed to Christ, so that He could pay the price for them by His death on the cross. And in exchange, we are given His righteousness - like a robe, making us fit to approach GOD. After all, the only righteousness good enough for GOD is His own righteousness.

I think there could also be a case for say it's taught or implied that Christ's righteousness is imputed, in 1 Corinthians 1.30, as well. (What do you think?) The phrase 'the righteousness of God' is more usually found, though. We can also be reminded of the unity and equality of the Persons of the Trinity. Blessings.

Yeah, that is another good verse. Guess I missed that one.

Also in Philemon 1:11, it says, Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God. In other words, our righteousness is by (or from) Jesus Christ.

None of us could possibly hope to attain to righteousness on our own. Our sins were imputed to Christ, so that He could pay the price for them by His death on the cross. And in exchange, we are given His righteousness - like a robe, making us fit to approach GOD. After all, the only righteousness good enough for GOD is His own righteousness.

That is why I am So in Awe of our God. Our sins were imputed to Him, He is perfect and totally undeserving. We deserve it and are wretched creatures,often spitting in His face. And He is MORE than willing to forgive us and Bless us with His own righteousness!!?! Give us blessings that defy our imaginations!!??!! 1 Cor 2:9

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back