Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Church of God - New Cult?

T

Theofilus

As I was coming home from the store just now, I passed a couple of guys that seemed to be witnessing to someone. I heard them mention the Bible and ask if the other person was a Christian. I walked a little further, and I saw a couple of ladies who were also witnessing. I waited for them to finish, since I didn't want to interrupt, and then spoke with them. I asked if they were with some group that was here evangelizing. They said they were from "the Church of God" and were here to start a church. I thought they were Pentecostals because of the "CoG" name. There is already a Pentecostal church here, but I thought maybe this was a different denomination of Pentecostalism. As I spoke more with them, though, I found out something different. They said that they believed there was a "holy mother", just as there is a holy Father. They said that the "us" in "Let us make man in our image" refers to this holy mother. They also claimed that the title "Elohim" (usually translated "God") actually means "God who is both mother and father". I thought this would be a good chance to show of my knowledge of Hebrew (I didn't admit to them just how limited that knowlege is), and said "Elohim means 'mighty one'". I was also able to correct their definitions of "Adonai" and "El Shaddai". Fortunately for me, that's where the Hebrew lesson ended. Once they realized they were talking with someone who knew what he was talking about, they seemed to become really pressed for time and couldn't get away fast enough. The said I was welcome to come to their meetings, but they didn't tell me where or when they would be, but just left.

Does anyone here know anything about this group that calls itself "the Church of God" and believes in "the Holy Mother"? Even when I specifically asked what church they were affiliated with and pointed out that there were many denominations that called themselves "Church of God", that's all they would tell me. Oh... one other thing... They claimed to be non-denominational.

That is very interesting. I have never heard of the "holy mother". Not in that light at least.

I do know that there are feminine traits ascribed to God, but thats as far as it goes. Even Jesus stated how He would "gather them like a hen gathers her chicks", but not that He had a 'mother'.

Odd ducks. Its interesting how when you speak truth to people they back down. Makes me think of the Bereans. How they would go directly to the Scriptures each and every day to see whether Paul was telling them the truth. That also dictates that they would again come back to hear more.

Sounds like they are just one more branch on the tree...

Must be a new cult. Notice in the name there is no reference to "Christ" -
it's like "Universalism" being confused with "Christian Universalism"

The Bible says there is only one God. He's not both mother & father. I choose to regard God as a "He" bc of the name "Father." Some may believe God is either to them- but God can't be both.
View attachment 1815

There is a "Church of God" which is associated with the late Herbert W. Armstrong. Once he died, it broke up into several factions some which held his teachings, other which renounced part of them. However, I never heard them teach that about a holy mother ---- as a matter of fact I would suspect that they would call that pagan. Obviously, someone else picked up on that same name.

The COG that I am referring to is heavy into prophecy, the Coming Kingdom, and Israel. Here's a link to one of the branches that teach similar to what Armstrong taught:

Tomorrow's World - Magazine and Television program

As I was coming home from the store just now, I passed a couple of guys that seemed to be witnessing to someone. I heard them mention the Bible and ask if the other person was a Christian. I walked a little further, and I saw a couple of ladies who were also witnessing. I waited for them to finish, since I didn't want to interrupt, and then spoke with them. I asked if they were with some group that was here evangelizing. They said they were from "the Church of God" and were here to start a church. I thought they were Pentecostals because of the "CoG" name. There is already a Pentecostal church here, but I thought maybe this was a different denomination of Pentecostalism. As I spoke more with them, though, I found out something different. They said that they believed there was a "holy mother", just as there is a holy Father. They said that the "us" in "Let us make man in our image" refers to this holy mother. They also claimed that the title "Elohim" (usually translated "God") actually means "God who is both mother and father". I thought this would be a good chance to show of my knowledge of Hebrew (I didn't admit to them just how limited that knowlege is), and said "Elohim means 'mighty one'". I was also able to correct their definitions of "Adonai" and "El Shaddai". Fortunately for me, that's where the Hebrew lesson ended. Once they realized they were talking with someone who knew what he was talking about, they seemed to become really pressed for time and couldn't get away fast enough. The said I was welcome to come to their meetings, but they didn't tell me where or when they would be, but just left.

Does anyone here know anything about this group that calls itself "the Church of God" and believes in "the Holy Mother"? Even when I specifically asked what church they were affiliated with and pointed out that there were many denominations that called themselves "Church of God", that's all they would tell me. Oh... one other thing... They claimed to be non-denominational.

i am of the church of God pentacostal type, and we dont have this holy mother.

i am of the church of God pentacostal type, and we dont have this holy mother.

I had heard of both the Church of God and the Church of God in Christ as Pentecostal groups, and I was pretty sure neither said anything about us having a heavenly mother. At least, they haven't mentioned her in any of the services I've been to.

I had heard of both the Church of God and the Church of God in Christ as Pentecostal groups, and I was pretty sure neither said anything about us having a heavenly mother. At least, they haven't mentioned her in any of the services I've been to.

theres two church of god(s) here. one hq is in cleveland, tn for one and the other is andersonville, in.
one of them is charismatic and the other isnt. neither has the holy mother. but a side note wouldnt that make god a married man and have a holy wife and holy kids on the way :)

theres two church of god(s) here. one hq is in cleveland, tn for one and the other is andersonville, in.
one of them is charismatic and the other isnt. neither has the holy mother. but a side note wouldnt that make god a married man and have a holy wife and holy kids on the way :)

The history on both these churchs is very close.. they started about the same time with tn being first by mths I believe. They were both Pentecostal churches.. with the way things went and people looking down on this for a long time the one in IN. decided to claim it was charismatic. Now however think they are back Pentecostal. The only major difference in one from the other really is the setup of churches and where control of the churches is. I think IN one has more of a local control where the TN one has more of a demonination control. If you look more into the history of the one in TN you'll see the founder split and formed another demonination taking with him alot of churches. The one that split was not the IN one but another altogether. I think this is why this church has more demoninational control. None on them claim a holy mother however first time I heard that one.

Once they realized they were talking with someone who knew what he was talking about, they seemed to become really pressed for time and couldn't get away fast enough. The said I was welcome to come to their meetings, but they didn't tell me where or when they would be, but just left.

Isn't it interesting that cults seem to work like this. At the mall once, I was approached by two girls who were trying to invite me to some mysterious/hush hush Bible meeting. I kept pressing them for answers and they knew that I wasn't some nominal, gullible Christian and couldn't give me any. They said they would call me to tell me the address. Needless to say, I never got the call. :lol

Theo, they sound like some weird cult for sure. I grew up in the Church of God and it was nothing but a (traditional) Pentecostal church. I never was taught anything about a Holy Mother.

Perhaps, they think by calling themselves Church of God they will fool alot of people into believing their legitimacy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't it interesting that cults seem to work like this. At the mall once, I was approached by two girls who were trying to invite me to some mysterious/hush hush Bible meeting. I kept pressing them for answers and they knew that I wasn't some nominal, gullible Christian and couldn't give me any. They said they would call me to tell me the address. Needless to say, I never got the call. :lol

Why doesn't that surprise me?

Theo, they sound like some weird cult for sure. I grew up in the Church of God and it was nothing but a (traditional) Pentecostal church. I never was taught anything about a Holy Mother.

Perhaps, they think by calling themselves Church of God they will fool alot of people into believing their legitimacy.

I'm pretty sure you're right about the reason for the name. People who don't know a lot about the Bible will probably conclude that the "God" in that name is the Christian God.

the only time I have ever heard the term "Holy Mother" was to do with Mary the mother of Jesus and the Roman Catholic church uses this to reference her.

I think it is the work of the Holy Spirit that turns them around when you start talking sound doctrine to them, I love when Jehovah Witnesses come calling and I grab my Bible and open it up, and then I say ok lets talk, usually they respond with we will just leave this track if we can and return another time :lol

Hi. I know this thread is a little bit old, but for anyone still looking for information about the World Mission Society Church of God (WMSCOG)...
My sister has been involved in this cult for more than 3 years now. It can be quite devastating for families. For details about what they believe or just to help us encourage each other if you are in the same situation, please visit my blog:
Encountering the Cult of Ahnsahnghong
These are other very good sites for information about them:
Examining the WMSCOG | An in depth look at the World Mission Society Church of God
and
Trek To Rome » Misunderstandings of the World Mission Society Church of God

here are two good sites that detail their errors:

Examining the WMSCOG | An in depth look at the World Mission Society Church of God

Encountering the Cult of Ahnsahnghong

Back