Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

--Clearing The AIR!--

E

Elijah674

Bases on 1 Cor. 14:32 ‘And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.’ (Paul’s pen!)
And Peter stated that 2 Peter 1:20-21
[20] Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
[21] For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

And some more from Peters inspired pen went on to say...
2 Peter 3
[16] As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.
[17] Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness.
Steadfastness? Lead away with error? To make this clear we need all of the Holy Prophets which all agree with each others Given Inspiration! [ALL!] But the one that lived the longest was John that penned the Revelation. (Do we know what revelation means?) And this is just one of his many Books that he was INSPIRED to pen. So lets check Johns work out to find how he would help us to understand what the Holy Spirit said by Pauls hand.

What word could be used in this explanation? No way for John to change the WORDING OF INSPIRATION! So what he does is just say...
In 1 John 2:3-8
[3] And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
[4] He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
[5] But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

[6] He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.
[7] Brethren, [[I write no new commandment unto you, but an old commandment which ye had from the beginning.]] The [[old commandment is the word which ye have heard from the beginning]].
[8] Again, a new commandment I write unto you, which thing is true in him and in you: because the darkness is past, and the true light now shineth.

All that John does here is to straighten out what would darken the eyes of the Rev. 17:1-5 ones. The New Covenant is just the same as the Old Covenant!
Deut. 4
[12] And the LORD spake unto you out of the midst of the fire: ye heard the voice of the words, but saw no similitude; only ye heard a voice.
[13] And he declared unto you his covenant, which he commanded you to perform, even ten commandments; and he wrote them upon two tables of stone.

And Gen. 26:5 DOCUMENTS this is why God used Abe in the first place!
[4] And I will make thy seed to multiply as the stars of heaven, and will give unto thy seed all these countries; and in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed;
[5] Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.
[[ALL TEN OF THEM!]]

--Elijah

Last edited by a moderator:
:naughty
[[ALL TEN OF THEM!]]

Since the Ten Commandments hadn't been written yet, what ten are you talking about?

Why did God call Abe in the first place by a voice! Gen. 26:5
And the 7th Day Sabbath came when???

--Elijah

Did you read it??
[5] Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.

Even see Gen. 12 for when Abe was alive for what he was doing. Surely he loved the Lord while adding believers 'of Gentiles??'
[4] So Abram departed, as the LORD had spoken unto him; and Lot went with him: and Abram was seventy and five years old when he departed out of Haran.
[5] And Abram took Sarai his wife, and Lot his brother's son, and all their substance that they had gathered, and the souls that they had gotten in Haran; and they went forth to go into the land of Canaan; and into the land of Canaan they came.

And it takes quit some time to convert a person to what Abe was teaching... 'Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.'

Surely he had heard of the forth commandment given by the Lord mouth huh? But after reading most posts from here, 'i' doubt that the Rev. 17:1-5 ones could benefit from that??

--Elijah

There is a huge difference between a covenant and a commandment. The New Covenant is not like the Old Covenant. When Jeremiah penned is words in Jeremiah 31:31-34 he made this abundantly clear.
31 Behold, the days come, saith Jehovah, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
32 not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was a husband unto them, saith Jehovah.

Yes, we keep the commandments, but we are not under the Old Covenant. To miss this point is not a small thing. Paul speaks of those who think they are under the Old Covenant as under a veil with hardened minds. The Old Covenant is done away with in Christ.
14 but their minds were hardened: for until this very day at the reading of the old covenant the same veil remaineth, it not being revealed to them that it is done away in Christ.
Your confusion over the covenant is the first mistake.

While I said we keep the law, and we do, do not mistake what I am saying. We are law keepers not by going back to the Old Covenant and its laws and works, but because God is doing a work in our hearts. We are then in one way, dead to the law...
Rom 7:4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also were made dead to the law through the body of Christ; that ye should be joined to another, even to him who was raised from the dead, that we might bring forth fruit unto God.
6 But now we have been discharged from the law, having died to that wherein we were held; so that we serve in newness of the spirit, and not in oldness of the letter.

But on the other hand we become law keepers by the work of Christ in our hearts.
1 John 2:29 If ye know that he is righteous, ye know that every one also that doeth righteousness is begotten of him.
One must be careful of the tense of the term "begotten." It is perfect tense. That tense speaks of a past tense action with present tense results. The past action is being "begotten" and the present tense result is righteousness.

John later says...
1 John 3:9 Whosoever is begotten of God doeth no sin, because his seed abideth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is begotten of God.
The term "Sin" is present tense and speaks of a continuity of sin. The Christian does not live in sin. This does not mean that the Christian does not commit sins (individual sins-- See 1 john 1:8-10). But when the Spirit of God abides in the Christian, the Christian does not abide in sin.

Only after being begotten of God do we keep the commandments.
3 And hereby we know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
We do not keep the commandments to be of God, but we keep the commandments because God is doing a work in us.

The frightening part of any discussion on the commandments is when someone tries to make the commandments a path to righteousness. They are not. The Law is a means to spiritual failure.
Romans 8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God, sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
Christ is the only means to spiritual success when he condemns our slavery to sin in the flesh.

The one who pursues righteousness by means of the flesh will have only spiritual death.
5 For they that are after the flesh mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. 6 For the mind of the flesh is death; but the mind of the Spirit is life and peace:

It is not we ourselves who by our own efforts and strength gain our own victory over sin by our own efforts at keeping the law. Keeping the law is something given to us when we pursue Christ, our most lovely Lord, our most dear savior who saved us to the uttermost. Keeping the Law is not an effort we make, but a result from the work of Christ in us.

PS... one last comment... Allenwynne, when you say.... "Since the Ten Commandments hadn't been written yet, what ten are you talking about?" I think I strongly agree.
If I understand you, you are talking about Abraham and his justification by faith alone and not works. Certainly, since Moses came later, I would agree that Abraham did not have the 10 commandments before him. Also, what you say points to many other passages of scripture which are clear that Abraham was never justified by any works, but by faith alone.
Romans 4:3 For what saith the scripture? And Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned unto him for righteousness. 4 Now to him that worketh, the reward is not reckoned as of grace, but as of debt. 5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is reckoned for righteousness.

No one but Christ, and he did it all.

Wow! Your post is sure enlightening. 'There is a huge difference between a covenant and a commandment.' And who ever said that.. 'Christ did not do it ALL' ??? The END will only be for these WHO TRUELY LOVE HIM! (and tested for certain by 666)

--Elijah

The Lord Blessed & Sanctified [[HIS]] 7 Day Sabbath! And then we all are hearing what?????
God changes! Mal. 3:6 & Heb. 13:8-9!

EDITED
--Elijah

Last edited by a moderator:
Back