Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Commandments

donadams

Only Jesus Christ: the way, the truth, the life!
Catholicism Overseer
Does anyone know what the commandments found in matt 28:20 or acts 1:2 are?

And does the bible list the Ten Commandments anywhere?

Thks

Exodus, chapter 20 for the Ten Commandments. The other two are referring to ALL of the Lord's commandments, I believe.
The 10 Commandments are also found in Deuteronomy 5:6-21.

To the question about teaching what Jesus taught, I think a good place to start is His sermon found in Matthew, chapters 5-7 and then continue through all the gospels. As John's gospel puts it, there are not enough books to hold all that Jesus taught (John 21:25). His command was to share the testimony of Christ by our thoughts, our words, and our deeds, culminating in His command to love God with all our being and to love one another as He loved us (John 13:34-35, John 15:12-17).

I was hoping for a list of the Ten Commandments in scripture? Thks
There is not place in Scripture where they are listed and numbered or identified as "The 10 Commandments." How they are numbered is a human addition. But, if you want to see them as they are found in Scripture, refer to the two locations presented earlier in this thread.

Matthew 22
Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. 35 One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: 36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[c] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[d] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Jesus summed up all the Law and the Prophets on 2 commandments.
1. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.
2. Love your neighbor as yourself

Paul said this:
Rom 13:9 For the commandments, "YOU SHALL NOT COMMIT ADULTERY," "YOU SHALL NOT MURDER," "YOU SHALL NOT STEAL," "YOU SHALL NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS," "YOU SHALL NOT COVET," and if there is any other commandment, are all summed up in this saying, namely, "YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF."
Rom 13:10 Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Paul seems to be focusing on the last 6 commandments dealing with other people.
The first 4 commandments deal with loving God.

Paul says it again in Galatians:
Gal 5:14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this: "YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF."

It seems the reason the first 4 commandments relating to God are kind of glossed over is because of what John says:
1Jn 4:20 If someone says, "I love God," and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen?

If you don't love your brother, then you don't love God. So if you don't have any other gods before Him (1), don't have or make any graven images (2), don't take God's name in vain (3), and keep the sabbath day (4), and hate your brother, you still do not love God.

There is not place in Scripture where they are listed and numbered or identified as "The 10 Commandments." How they are numbered is a human addition. But, if you want to see them as they are found in Scripture, refer to the two locations presented earlier in this thread.
Thank you! Thats what i thought too just as chapter and verse are added.

The numbering of the commandments differs in the Catholic vs Protestant tradition.

1725905572645.png

When you look at the text, in either Exodus or Deuteronomy, they could be arranged to form 11 such as I show below. But 10 is such a nice even number so we combined the text either in the Catholic or Protestant traditions to contain them to 10 Commandments. Since we don't have the original stone tablets, we do not know if God numbered them distinctly.

1. I am the Lord your God who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. You shall have no other gods before Me.
2. You shall not make for yourself a carved image
—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth;
3. You shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.
4. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.
5. Observe the Sabbath day, to keep it holy, as the Lord your God commanded you. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your ox, nor your donkey, nor any of your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates, that your male servant and your female servant may rest as well as you. And remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and the Lord your God brought you out from there by a mighty hand and by an outstretched arm; therefore the Lord your God commanded you to keep the Sabbath day.
6. Honor your father and your mother, as the Lord your God has commanded you, that your days may be long, and that it may be well with you in the land which the Lord your God is giving you.
7. You shall not murder.
8. You shall not commit adultery.
9. You shall not steal.
You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
11. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife; and you shall not desire your neighbor’s house, his field, his male servant, his female servant, his ox, his donkey, or anything that is your neighbor’s.’

Last edited:
There is not a biblical list

The first starts here
Ends here
Etc.
If you scroll back to read the context of the exchange you may notice my remarks referred to the image of the ten commandments that I posted earlier. That image is in list format.

I
II
III
IV
Etc...

Which one has been around longer?

One site i read said luther kept it the same as ours but calvin changed it
You missed the point entirely and resounded that pride I spoke of. Does it really matter how they are numbered? God didn't number them so why do we? Read them in their context and forget the numbering and forget the pride.

God spoke all these words, saying: “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. “You shall have no other gods before Me. “You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor [b]serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments. “You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain. “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it. “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you. “You shall not murder. “You shall not commit adultery. “You shall not steal. “You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor. “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor’s.”
Exodus 20:11-17 NKJV

One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, “Of all the commandments, which is the most important?” “The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.”
Mark 12:28-31 NKJV

Back