Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Commandments

You missed the point entirely and resounded that pride I spoke of. Does it really matter how they are numbered? God didn't number them so why do we? Read them in their context and forget the numbering and forget the pride.

God spoke all these words, saying: “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. “You shall have no other gods before Me. “You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor [b]serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments. “You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain. “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it. “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you. “You shall not murder. “You shall not commit adultery. “You shall not steal. “You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor. “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor’s.”
Exodus 20:11-17 NKJV

One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, “Of all the commandments, which is the most important?” “The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.”
Mark 12:28-31 NKJV
The true list is according to the sacred apostolic tradition!

www.jewfaq.org

Noahic (Noah) Commandments are seven commandments first given to Adam by God before the flood and brought to remembrance by God to Noah after the flood, which are binding on both Jew and Gentile as there were no Jew or Gentile in the days of Noah. Abraham was the first one to be called a Hebrew, Genesis 14:13. The seven make up the first parts of the ten that God gave to Moses on Mt Sinai in Exodus 20. Below is a comparison list of the seven and the full ten which are all a part of the 613 laws given to Moses as some were for the Hebrews pertaining to the rituals of the Temple, sacrifices, festivals, Torah, Kohanim and Levites, the King and the Nazarite and then there are the existing moral laws (commandments) for all, Jew and Gentile to follow. Christ did not come to destroy all the laws, but to fulfill the parts of the Temple and sacrifices, Matthew 5:17-22.

Noahic Laws:
Not to worship idols.
Not to curse God.
To establish courts of justice.
Not to commit murder.
Not to commit adultery or sexual immorality.
Not to steal.
Not to eat flesh torn from a living animal.

Mt. Sinai Laws:
You shall have no other gods before Me.
You shall not make idols.
You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.
Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Honor your father and your mother.
You shall not murder.
You shall not commit adultery.
You shall not steal.
You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
You shall not covet.

Part of the ten laws broken down to various commands within one law:
Other gods and idols are as one not to worship, but broke down into two commands
Remember the Sabbath was added to the ten commandments by God as a remembrance of all God did in six days (Gods timing) and rested on the seventh, Genesis 2:1-3; Matthew 12:1-13
To establish courts of justice was only given to Noah for the new generations to come after the flood
Honor your father and mother was not given to Noah, but was added to the ten commandments by God as the generations grew.
Not to covet was added to the ten commandments by God, but broke down into seven commands as your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.

The Ten Commandments
Exo 20:1 And God spake all these words, saying,
Exo 20:2 I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
Exo 20:3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
Exo 20:4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:
Exo 20:5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
Exo 20:6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
Exo 20:7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
Exo 20:8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
Exo 20:9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:
Exo 20:10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:
Exo 20:11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
Exo 20:12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
Exo 20:13 Thou shalt not kill.
Exo 20:14 Thou shalt not commit adultery.
Exo 20:15 Thou shalt not steal.
Exo 20:16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
Exo 20:17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

Thanks for the effort

Do you know of any list of the Ten Commandments

1,2,3 etc

There is no list in scripture
The church possesses the authority of Christ!
Matt 16:18-19 Matt 18:17-18
Matt 28:19 Jn 20:21-23

Thks
Which church? The Catholic church or the Church that Jesus created? They are not one and the same. Not anymore anyway.

You are no longer asking questions for the sake of gaining knowledge but instead are obviously intent on debating theology. This is not the forum for that purpose.

Which church? The Catholic church or the Church that Jesus created? They are not one and the same. Not anymore anyway.

You are no longer asking questions for the sake of gaining knowledge but instead are obviously intent on debating theology. This is not the forum for that purpose.
Ok as you say

Do you know how we obtain an authentic list 1,2,3 of the Ten Commandments found in the bible?

Thks

And does the bible list the Ten Commandments anywhere?

Is there an actual list?
Etc.

Do you know how we obtain an authentic list 1,2,3 of the Ten Commandments found in the bible?
What are you seeking brother donadams ?

Would you like to rephrase the question for us , I am lost on what you are looking for :shrug .

Because you answered your own question in the next quote .

But there was s no list
It foes not say what is each of the Ten Commandments

What are you seeking brother donadams ?

Would you like to rephrase the question for us , I am lost on what you are looking for :shrug .

Because you answered your own question in the next quote .
There is content but not an actual list that says this is the first

Or the first ends here and the second begins here

Everyone has a different list

Example:
I was watching an episode of mannix and the man said: he has a problem adultry, mannix says which commandment is that, the sixth in my faith, whats your faith, he said lutheran.

See what i mean?

Just curious, but if I write out my grocery list:

Bananas
Apples
soap
squash

That's not a list? Or must a list say:

1. Bananas
2. Apples
3. soap
4. squash

And Jesus quoted the first of the ten commandment law, so that's where we know that the commandments written on the stone tablets was the ten commandment law.

The first and greatest command is...

Jesus actually said that, and then spoke the command to love the Lord your God with all your heart, etc. So we know that commandment was the first. And we know that command came down, along with the other nine as a group of 10 commandments from the mountain with Moses. Written on two stone tablets after Moses destroyed the first two. By the finger of God, if one is to believe the Scriptures.

I'm not clear on why that wouldn't be a list, as in the structure of the words on the stone tablets.

Yes cos i to know which is which
How do you know that? I mean written out without the numbers is pretty much exactly how God's list of the 10 commandments was written on the stone tablets. Of course, we have actually lost the two stone tablets somewhere in Israel, so we can't honestly say that it would have been seen as a list, but I think by definition of a list, it would qualify.

But anyway, you're free to disagree. However, I'm curious where you're going with this. Is there some point to be made about whether or not the 10 commandment law was a list or not?

And Jesus quoted the first of the ten commandment law, so that's where we know that the commandments written on the stone tablets was the ten commandment law.

The first and greatest command is...

Jesus actually said that, and then spoke the command to love the Lord your God with all your heart, etc. So we know that commandment was the first. And we know that command came down, along with the other nine as a group of 10 commandments from the mountain with Moses. Written on two stone tablets after Moses destroyed the first two. By the finger of God, if one is to believe the Scriptures.

I'm not clear on why that wouldn't be a list, as in the structure of the words on the stone tablets.
No thats he two great commandments duet 6:5
Love God and neighbor

We don’t have the stone tablets

Ex 20:2 I am the Lord thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lordthy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

7 Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:

10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.

13 Thou shalt not kill.

14 Thou shalt not commit adultery.

15 Thou shalt not steal.

16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

Where does the first end and the second begin?

Thks

How do you know that? I mean written out without the numbers is pretty much exactly how God's list of the 10 commandments was written on the stone tablets. Of course, we have actually lost the two stone tablets somewhere in Israel, so we can't honestly say that it would have been seen as a list, but I think by definition of a list, it would qualify.

But anyway, you're free to disagree. However, I'm curious where you're going with this. Is there some point to be made about whether or not the 10 commandment law was a list or not?
Sorry i want to know which is which

Hi donadams

How is the 10 commandment law written in the two references that you were given that disqualifies it from being a list?
Here is my list according to context or subject but I admit i’m authority. Thks

Ten Commandments

Ex 20

Scripture has no list (1, 2, 3, etc.) of the Ten Commandments

According to subject matter or context:

First commandment: ex 20:2-6
One God

Second commandment: ex 20:7
God’s name

Third commandment: ex 20:8-11
God’s original sabbath

Fourth commandment: ex 20:12
Parents

Fifth commandment: ex 20:13
Murder

Sixth commandment: ex 20:14
Adultery

Seventh commandment: ex 20:15
Theft

Eighth commandment: ex 20:16
Lying

Ninth commandment: ex 20:17
Coveting

Separating the two about coveting makes sense!

Ninth: Thou shalt not covet Thy neighbors goods.

Tenth: Thou shalt not covet Thy neighbor’s wife.

Your insights appreciated

Hi donadams

It has been known since the early days of Judaism as the decalogue, the ten words. From there, we have translated it to be defined as the ten commandments. So, which ones are the ten are probably best answered by the people who named it thus. You might try some research on 'how' the ancient Jews came to know and call that section of God's word, the 'ten words'? That might get you started.

From there, you should be able to use their breakdown for what words found in that section of God's word make up the 10 commandments that God's word seems to have always to have been understood as, on this point. But no, to answer your basic question, there is no place where God wrote a numbered list of the commandments to identify them as 10. All we do know is that the one that is read first is the one that Jesus said was the first and greatest command.

Hi donadams

It has been known since the early days of Judaism as the decalogue, the ten words. From there, we have translated it to be defined as the ten commandments. So, which ones are the ten are probably best answered by the people who named it thus. You might try some research on 'how' the ancient Jews came to know and call that section of God's word, the 'ten words'? That might get you started.

From there, you should be able to use their breakdown for what words found in that section of God's word make up the 10 commandments that God's word seems to have always to have been understood as, on this point. But no, to answer your basic question, there is no place where God wrote a numbered list of the commandments to identify them as 10. All we do know is that the one that is read first is the one that Jesus said was the first and greatest command.
Appreciated

We don’t have the stone tablets
We have no need of them . The laws are wrote somewhere else now for easier reference for a Christian .

Hebrews 10:16​

“This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;”

Back