Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Compatibilism vs. Incompatibilism.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Dave... said:
Your philosophies make God's word a stumbling block for both of you. You guy's won't understand until you are willing to accept that God's word is infallible and....trust in that. Only from that will you ever be able to build from a solid foundation and know the truth.

Dave, you have to this point admirably resisted using the kind of thinking that seems to underlie your remarks above. I trust you will agree that being a committed Christian is no way a license to abdicate careful, rigourous, and precise thinking. If I were to adopt a position that I believed was in clear contradiction with the scriptures, I would say so. While these interactions may at times be a little frustrating (since we all communicate in different ways), we have to stick with the discipline of using logical consistent thinking to supplement what the scriptures say.

We know from the experiences of life that careful, precise, logical, internally consistent thinking works - it serves us well in so many ways. The temptation to abdicate this responsibility and adopt a dogmatic position is great, but it should be resisted. I am willing to stretch my mind and change my position - I have been recently convinced to switch camps on the matter of the compatibility of free will and foreknowledge. On the topic at hand, it seems (repeat seems, perhaps I do not understand you, hence my recent set of 3 questions) that you are trying to force certain ideas to work together which logically conflict with one another.

One of the problems with conservative / evangelical Christianity in North America is that it implicity if not explicitly discourages systematic, careful, and aggressive intellectual inquiry. As a result, you get a lot of plain nonsense on boards like this (and I am not referring to you). Take a moment and scan some other threads (which I assume you do anyway). There are some people who, for whatever reason, are desperately, desperately confused. Some (perhaps most, if not all) did not come to be that way by their own choice. We Christians need to firmly insist on clear, rational, self-consistent thinking, profoundly informed by the scriptures. Surely God is not the author of confusion - mystery and challenge perhaps, but not confusion.

Many times the Scriptures indicate people rejecting God . . .

Showing people rejecting God not only does not contradict what I have been saying, but clearly does not prove that all men have free will in coming to faith.

Matthew 11:27 Jesus chooses who to reveal the Father to.

Matthew 22:14 Many are called (general call) few are chosen (will receive and respond to the inward call)

Romans 9:16 Depends not on human will, but on God's mercy. Romans 10:20, 2 Timothy 1:9

Romans 11:4-6 If it's by works, then it is no longer grace

Romans 11:33-36 "For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever: Amen."

You guys have Jesus working His own will against the Fathers will. But Jesus came to do the Fathers will. All that the Father gives to Him will be saved, He will not lose one of them. Those that the Father gave to the Son, the Son saved and prayed for, the Holy Spirit sealed until the day of redemption. All three Persons of the God head working in perfect harmony. You guys have the Father giving the Son the elect, the Son trying, but failing to save everyone, and the Holy Spirit holding on for dear life.

Matthew 23:37 - O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the one who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chickens under her wings, but you were not willing!

And all through out scripture God has called for His people to repent, and every step of the way they refused. I'm talking about Israel. What you are trying to read into this verse is just not there. Jesus is not hoping God's will is accomplished. Why were they not willing? "All that the Father Gives to me will come to Me" You are trying to say that because Jesus showed compassion that somehow that means that those who the Father had not given Him had free will greater than what scripture allows.

If you like, I can list a lot of scripture. Scripture that, like the ones used above, say exactly what i'm telling you. You would have to disregard a lot of scripture to come up with your definition of Matt. 23:37

Again, look at this scripture carefully. John 6:35-40, John 10:11, John 10:14-18, John 10:24-29, John 17:1-11, John 17:20, John 17:24-26.

I'm getting kicked off.

1. Do you believe that man has free will in the specific sense that a man Fred (and Fred alone) has some (limited though it may well be) determining, causal role in the decisions he takes?

"The compatibilist holds that every human action has a sufficient cause outside of the human will. Freedom in the compatibilist sense is the contention that even if every choice we make and every act we perform is determined by forces outside ourselves, and ultimately by God's ordaining guidance, we are still free, for we still act according to our desires."

2. Do you believe that God has a fully sufficient and exclusive causal role in all events of any kind whatsoever - that anything that does happen is caused to happen by God and by God alone? It seems that you are saying "no" to this in your most recent post.

Ephesians 1:11, Romans 11:33-36. see the answer to #1

3. Do you agree that it would be unintelligible (self-contradictory) to assert that God has a fully sufficient and exclusive causal role in respect to all human acts/decisions while at the same time asserting that man has the kind of free will described in item 1 above?

No, and I gave you Biblical examples.

Here is my question for you.

1) Why do you accept the Trinity as Biblical without being able to rationalize it in your mind, but with God's sovereignty and mans will, even with Biblical text to to support it, you claim that unless it can be comprehended by your standards of justice which are not perfect, that it cannot be accepted as truth?

2) Who wrote Romans, Paul or God?

Hello Dave:

I sense we are at an impasse that cannot be breached.

I could explain to you why I think your answer to question 1 does not make sense, but we have been down that road before. The answer to question 2 (scripture quotations) is incomplete, precisely because both of these texts are also consistent with the view that I hold. And if you do not see the unintelligibility associated with the assertion in question 3, then we differ so significantly in respect to what constitutes a rational argument, that there probably is little hope for progress.

I will answer your questions:

About the Trinity: There is an important conceptual difference between a direct logical contradiction (such as the one I assert exists in respect to what I perceive your position to be on the compatibilism question) and a fundamental mystery. I may not understand the notion of the Trinity, but it is not inherently illogical - there is no internal contradiction in the concept (at least as I see it).

God inspired Paul to write the book of Romans. But this does not necessarily mean that your interpretation of the part about God as the potter is the only legitimate interpretation.

Dave, you have consistently demonstrated maturity in all these posts. It has been refreshing to engage in a discussion with no descent into name-calling.

I really suspect, however, that we are probably at loggerheads. For example, I am simply not willing to accept what I see as a set of beliefs that are internally inconsistent. I see my position as being true to God's mandate as expressed as follows: "When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me." You (and others) might see my position as prideful, and reflective of a lack of willingness to accept what you see as the clear teaching of the Scriptures.

I am open to further discourse, but I frankly would need us to get out of the "rut" that we seem to be in.

Dave, I have posted this to help you realize the inconsistency in some of your post, so that you might be able to see what is causing my confusion in understanding your stance. I have accumulated a list of your quotes on the issue at hand, I have even provided the page number the quotes can be found on, so anyone can verify them easily. (SQ = Source Quote. These are quotes from sources that you gave and said you agreed with.)

Monergistic posts
  1. "The compatibilist holds that every human and action has a sufficient cause outside of the human will." (p. 1), SQ[/*:m:04c2d]
  2. "If God has ordained that I perform some act, I could not choose otherwise and thus I am not truly free." (p. 1), SQ[/*:m:04c2d]
  3. "So this is how I would reconcile God's sovereignty with man's free will. Technically, this allows God to be 100 % sovereign in respect to each and every minute event that takes place in the World." (p. 1)[/*:m:04c2d]
  4. ". . . every choice we make and every act we perform is determined by forces outside ourselves, and ultimately by God's ordaining guidance . . ." (p. 1), SQ[/*:m:04c2d]
  5. "The Spirit gives faith and repentance" (p. 2)[/*:m:04c2d]
  6. "Faith and repentance are divine gifts and are the result of the regenerating work of the Holy Spirit." (p. 2)[/*:m:04c2d]
  7. "In addition to the general outward call, the Holy Spirit extends a special inward call to the elect. . . . the special [inward] call always results in the conversion of those of whom it was made." (p. 2)[/*:m:04c2d]
  8. "God does not elect the [unregenerate] to damnation. He passes them by, leaving them in their unregenerate state . . ." (p. 2)[/*:m:04c2d]
  9. ". . . in no way does mans will determine the outcome." (p. 2)[/*:m:04c2d]
  10. "The Bible tells us that we should work out our salvation . . . but does this make it any less through, by and from God?" (p. 2)[/*:m:04c2d]
  11. "[Man's] choice falls under grace also." (p. 2)[/*:m:04c2d]
  12. "Your faith is a gift from God." (p. 2)[/*:m:04c2d]
  13. "Again, speaking of the general call. If God had moved in their lives they would be saved." (p. 3)[/*:m:04c2d]
  14. ". . . those (elect) called inwardly (special call) will always come to faith eventually." (p. 3)[/*:m:04c2d]
Synergistic Posts
  1. ". . . mans will is the vehicle used . . ." (p. 2)[/*:m:04c2d]
  2. "We do play a role [in salvation] . . ." (p. 3)[/*:m:04c2d]
  3. "We do not need to be robots, or better yet, God does not need to control our every thought, or movement, to have a secure end." (p. 3)[/*:m:04c2d]
  4. "And all through out scripture God has called for His people to repent, and every step of the way they refused." (p. 3)[/*:m:04c2d]
On top of the inconsistency between the two types of statements you make here, quotes (1) and (4) from the monergistic list (ML) directly contradict quote (3) from the synergistic list (SL). Also, quotes (1) and (2) from (SL) directly contradict the monergistic viewpoint, which seems to be what you hold to (most of the time). Let's look at some more direct contradictions you seem to make. Of (SL), quote (1) directly contradicts quotes (1), (2), (4), (9), and (11) of (ML). Also, of (SL), quote (2) directly contradicts quotes (1), (2), (4), (5), (6), (7), (9), (10), (11), and (12) of (ML).

These contradictions and equivocations on your part is why I (and it seems Drew as well) am a bit confused about your position. Maybe you can help clarify or retract some of the contradictory statements you have made, and this will help me to better understand where you stand on the issue, namely, man's role (or lack there of) in salvation. I say this because monergist hold the position that man has no role in salvation (i.e., it is unconditional), but synergists hold that man's role is cooperative with respect to the Holy Spirit (i.e., there are conditions for which salvation is given, namely, that it is accepted), and you seem to hold both views at times.

Here's the problem. Scripture is relentless in affirming that God is sovereign over all things, He providentially governs everything. This cannot be denied if one believes that scripture is God breathed. Yet to establish mans freedom, you guys feel it necessary for God to yield in His soverneignty.

I then established by scripture that God can remain perfectly sovereign while allowing man to make responsible choices. We may not be able to understand how, but clearly scripture shows that both can work at the same time. So we know that God is sovereign and does not yield to a free will in His sovereignty. We know that responsible choice (Biblical free will) can coexist with God's sovereignty and His governing of all things.

So, the obvious thing to do is NOT to pit God's sovereignty against mans freedom, But mans freedom against his slavery as scripture teaches. It's nothing less than assuming a complete free will and subtracting, or chipping away at it with scripture until we have an accurate Biblical definition of free will. But in trying to do this, both of you guys come full circle back to the argument that God must yield for you to be free. This is frustrating for me to say the least, that for what ever reason, with clear biblical evidence, you guys still will not accept a sovereign God

God is sovereign, He providentially governs all thing.

Man will as described in the Bible, both regenerate and not, are considered to be responsible choices.

God's sovereignty and mans will (as Biblically defined) can coexist (compatiblism).

Dave, in my last post I tried to show why I was confused about your position due to some contradictory statements you have made. Aside from that, there is another reason why, more than being confused, I am not convinced of your "main" viewpoint you tend to hold, that is, monergism. This other reason is that I feel you have given no adequate reason to perceive a biblical basis of your belief nor have you given adequate logical reasons, based on biblical principles, for your belief. Also, you have either completely disregarded or not adequately addressed some significant problems that I (or Drew) have raised. And, most of the time, if a problematic issue is raised you disregard its relevance by derogatorily labeling me (or Drew) as being "philosophical." I will try to show these things in the rest of this post. This is not an attack on you Dave; this is an attempt to convey to you my perspective on the discussion.

The Anti-Intellectual/Anti-Philosophical Mantra

Seeing as how Drew was not understanding your point, supposedly because he was being "intellectual" (when that became a bad thing I don't know), you said,
  • since you like to approach this study mainly from an intellectual stand point . . . (p. 1)
I had not problem with this from the start, but it later became your mantra and primary outcry against our viewpoint. In the same post as your above comment you said,
  • I thought that maybe you would like . . . to see the intellectual and Biblical folly from the arminian position . . . (p. 1)
Now, why you insist on labeling viewpoints that don't coincide with yours as being "intellectual" or "philosophical" is beyond me, and, to be honest, seems slightly belittling.

Later on, in talking negative about Theodore Beza (Calvin's son in law) you say,
  • . . . it was Beza who wanted to take Calvins work [and] systematically fit it into a philosophy. Sound familiar? (p. 3)
Once again, we have the suggestion that a viewpoint is wrong because it is "philosophical." There is no reason given for why Beza might have been wrong, just that he doesn't agree with you (or a viewpoint congruent with yours), so his (Beza's) view must be philosophical. And, further in the same post, while commenting on Arminius, you describe his stance (which is Arminianism) as being,
  • [a] philosophy of libertarian free will. (p. 3)
Finally, you go on to say the following to Drew and me:
  • Your philosophies make God's word a stumbling block for both of you. (p. 3)
And you end by saying this, in regards to God's sovereignty and man's free will:
  • you claim that unless it can be comprehended by your standards of justice which are not perfect, that it cannot be accepted as truth[.] (p. 3)
These final two comments seem to be an attempt to suggest that we (Drew and I) are not basing our viewpoints on the bible. This is just incorrect. It is because I am basing my viewpoint on the bible that I do not agree with yours. For example, if someone claimed that God was not fair, it would be because I base my belief on the bible that I would say that can't be true (because the bible says otherwise). This brings me to the next issue.

Avoidance by Irrelevant Scripture

This is related to the above section, because here I will show how you often avoided giving satisfactory answers and sometimes any answer at all by simply citing or referencing some irrelevant scripture that implied that I (or Drew) was being too "philosophical."

I raised a point when I asked, "Why would God toy with some and send them a 'general' call and arbitrarily send an 'inward' call to a randomly selected elect?" Clearly this is a relevant question to your position. Notice, I am not questioning the bible or God, because the bible never says anything about or makes any distinction that would imply that God makes "general" and "inward" calls. (I will talk about your purported biblical basis for this later). In answering this, you give very little clarification, and your response is extremely inadequate. But, to make up for this, you follow it with,
  • . . . 'who are you to question Him?' Remember that's what got Job into trouble. (p. 2)
First, I am not questioning God. I am questioning your position. The bible or God never says anything about general or inward calls. There is one verse in the whole bible that maybe could support your view (Matthew 22:14). Maybe, and only taken out of context. But, if your just going to list verses and not analyze them and put them into context then we can say God supports slavery, God supports stoning your children, God supports killing unbelieving sinners, God supports the "an eye for an eye" mentality, and so on and so forth. In fact, most commentaries interpret the passage, given its context, in a way opposed to the notion of "general" and "inward" calls. Biblegateway.com's commentary does this (see here). Also, all of the relevant commentaries here, except for Gill's (GIL), oppose an interpretation that includes the concepts of "general" and "inward" calls. Also, I viewed all the biblical commentaries I have at home and none of them supported your out-of-context interpretation, which suggests general and inward calls. When entirely put into context, because the verse is the end to a parable in Matthew chapter 22 (from verses 1-14), the interpretation doesn't suggest general and inward calls, as the vast majority of biblical scholars agree. Now of course, upon viewing this you will label all these commentaries as being "philosophical." So, now you abandon the overwhelming majority of biblical scholars for your view. Which sounds more philosophical?

As the discussion continues, Matthew 23:37 comes into the picture. The verse states the following: "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the one who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chickens under her wings, but you were not willing!" Clearly there is absolutely nothing in this verse to suggest this call was a general one, as opposed to an inward one. So again, after giving an inadequate response you list some irrelevant scripture, which has nothing to do with general or inward calls. I looked at all the passages you listed: John 6:35-40, John 10:11, John 10:14-18, John 10:24-29, John 17:1-11, John 17:20, John 17:24-26. Not one dealt with the issue of Matthew 23:37. So, again, when a powerful point is raised you have dodged it by cited some scripture(s) not pertinent to the issue raised.

You commit this fallacy again in responding to another point I raise. I say the following: "Even if we disregard double predestination, does your other proposal (that 'God does not elect the [unregenerate] to damnation' but '[h]e passes them by, leaving them in their unregenerate state') sound like that of a ALL-loving God?" Of course, again you offer some inadequate response and then ended by citing Isaiah 55:8, which says, "'For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways,' says the LORD." Again, this verse is not relevant to the question I have raised concerning your view, and not what the bible says. So, you continue to avoid difficult questions concerning your view by saying just trust God. I have no problem trusting God. My issue isn't with God, its with your unfounded assertions about Him.

Inadequate Responses Due to Unfounded Assertions or Complete Avoidance

In one of my posts I said, "I [believe], contra Hendryx, that God's grace is not a sufficient cause of salvation, and that it must be met with choice in order to be fulfilled." You responded:
  • The choice falls under grace also.

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,

Your faith is a gift from God. And so nobody would misunderstand, Paul tells us that "and that not of yourselves" "it is a gift from God". (p. 2)
Ironically, the verse you cited supports my viewpoint, and you just followed it with unfounded assertions like "The choice falls under grace also" and "Your faith is a gift from God." I proved these to be unfounded assertions in a following post when I said, "Whoa. I know of no bible commentary that depicts Ephesians 2:8 as saying faith in this passage is the gift from God. What then is grace and salvation in this passage? It is clear from a cursory reading, and from a more detailed analysis, that grace, and therefore salvation, is that which is a 'gift from God.' Faith is that through which salvation is received. Norman L. Geisler said it best in his Systematic Theology: Volume Three: Sin, Salvation when he noted that grace, and thus salvation, is a gift provided for all; but it is only applied to those who have faith, that is, those who accept the gift." I also went on to show your incorrect interpretation with more detail in my post.

Now, in one of my posts, I listed five verses which clearly indicated, against what Hendryx claimed, that the bible indicates people rejecting God. Now, let's look at you responses.

In response to Matthew 23:37 you say the following:
  • This is a general call, and also shows the compassion of Jesus. We know that all that the Father gave Jesus (Sheep) heard the inward calland [sic] came to Him ( true faith), and that Jesus would not lose one of them. John 6:35-40, John 10:11, John 10:14-18, John 10:24-29, John 17:1-11, John 17:20, John 17:24-26.
I already talked about the irrelevancy of the John verses you cited, but you claim that the verse speaks of a general call. Where? Please show me where this unfounded assertion is derived from. There is absolutely no basis for this. (Could it be your philosophical presupposition?)

In response to Luke 7:30 you say the following:
  • Again, speaking of the general call.
Once again, where in the world is that conclusion drawn from? Luke 7:30 says, "But the Pharisees and lawyers rejected the will of God for themselves, not having been baptized by him." Nowhere here is there a mention of general or inward calls, you just assert it. And, your assertion is unfounded.

In response to John 5:40, which says, "But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life," you say:
  • Why were they not willing? Again, see the scripture above "John".
You claim the John verses have the answer, but I have already talked about the irrelevancy of these John verses. So here your avoidance of directly answering the issue raised amounts to an insufficient response.

In response to Acts 7:51 and 2 Peter 3:9, you do the same thing. You claim them to be talking about the general call only. But, again, this is just an unfounded assertion, because there is absolutely nothing in these verses that imply any distinction between a general or inward call.

Now, I raise another point to which your response doesn't suffice. I note that Hendryx (who you agree with) says, "We either desire Christ or we despise him, and if we choose Him, this is the result of sovereign grace . . ." Then I say, "But according to Irresistible Grace and monergism, we do not choose Him, He chooses us, we are merely affected by His choice." You then response by simply saying,
  • I don't see a problem here as you do.
Well, sadly there is a big problem, and it should be evident. Monergism holds that man has no choice, hence the notion of unconditional election or Irresistible Grace. So, you cannot hold to monergism (which says man doesn't choose, God does) and still agree to the statement that man chooses Christ.

I then go on to say, "You cannot support monergism and say that we choose God, because we play no part in the role of salvation according to monergism." You respond by saying,
  • We do play a role . . .
Okay, if you believe that, you do not hold to monergism and you have just contradicted many other statement you have made. (I showed this in my previous post.)

I showed that you had made contradictory statements when I said, "This is self-contradictory. You make two statements here: (1) man's will is used to reach an outcome and (2) mans will doesn't determine the outcome. Those two statements aren't reconcilable." You responded by simply saying,
  • It makes sense to me.
Well, unfortunately, it does not make sense in reality. You claim a monergistic view in (2) and a synergistic view in (1). Because I was becoming confused as to what your position was, I asked you to expound on this "role" when I said, "I'm having a hard time [understanding] what role we play if it isn't causal. Could you please expound on this 'role.'" You avoided this question completely. I am still waiting for you to explain what "role" man plays (and still maintain a monergistic viewpoint).

Conclusion

I have tried to show you why I am confused at your viewpoint and why I feel your answers and position are inadequate. Of course, you could persuade me by giving adequate answers in place of all the prior inadequate responses you gave. Until then, your position doesn't hold up and is based on unfounded assertions and, dare I say, philosophical presuppositions. And, it is also based on the necessity to misinterpret biblical verses and force ad hoc connotations.

Dave... said:
I then established by scripture that God can remain perfectly sovereign while allowing man to make responsible choices.

As I have said before, I think such a position is simply self-contradictory. If we are going to use the tool of language to think (as I claim we do) and communicate, we simply cannot make such statements. The very meaning of the words do not allow this sentence to be true. For God to be "perfectly sovereign" excludes any choice on the part of man in the same way.

Please think about what's going on here. You have used scripture to make your case. Scripture expresses ideas, concepts, and facts through the vehicle of language. When we read language there are lots of complicated things going on - we are using a shared sets of symbols and logical rules - rules that sometime constrain what can be true of an entity. In order for language to have any capability to do any work in sharing ideas, its must have power to discriminate - the power to selectively "point" to something in the real world. And it must obey certain principles of logic. The word "apple" points to the object we all know - the small red, sweet tasting fruit that grows on trees. The word "apple" cannot be used to point to that curved yellow tropical fruit that we otherwise call a "banana". So when we agree that the word "apple" refers to one real world type of fruit, we necessarily agree that it does not refer to other kinds (say, bananas). Perhaps more subtle yet more relevant is the notion of "complementary" concepts. Consider the terms "fat" and "skinny". A person can be fat or skinny (or neither) but certainly not fat and skinny. A person can be fat and smart. A person can be skinny and smart. There is no conflict in such statements. While precise words fail me, I think you can see that some concepts "complement" one another - they cannot both apply (like fat and skinny). We do not have to inspect a person to know that they cannot be both fat and skinny. We know this immediately by virtue of the meaning of the terms.

I maintain you are trying to be fat and skinny at the same time. You seem to want to claim "perfect sovereignty" for God and also claim "choice" for man. But "perfect sovereignty" for God necessarily excludes any real choice on the part of man. Why? Simply because the term perfect sovereignty on the part of God means that God is the only agent that has a determining role in any outcome. Man can exercise no choice. "Only" means what it means.

Some will argue that all this is "man's logic" and that we should stick with what the Bible says. If I could make one new point in this post, it would be this. Inspired though they are, the scriptures do not get into our heads by magic. Our intake of the scriptures is mediated by language and a whole host of rules of logic that allow us to properly interpret. We have to follow these rules and conventions or language loses it capability to mediate the transmission of meaning.

Do you believe that God is sovereign in all things, that He providentially governs all things?

do you agree that regardless of how free or enslaved one might be, that god's sovereignty is unaffected?

These are the hurdles that must be overcome for our discussion to have any meaning. Once we can agree on this, then we have a foundation to build from other than philosophy.

This other reason is that I feel you have given no adequate reason to perceive a biblical basis of your belief nor have you given adequate logical reasons, based on biblical principles, for your belief.

:o :o

Shall we first establish with scripture the sovereignty of God? Let me know.

Then we can establish with scripture God's providence.

And then go from there. But what I will not do is bounce around trying to haphazardly define the Bible with philosophies. Fair enough?

A structured study starting from the very foundation. We will take scripture as it is and see where it goes.

Dave said:
. . . you guys feel it necessary for God to yield in His soverneignty.
Please list one quote from me where I said God had to yield His sovereignty.

Dave said:
you guys still will not accept a sovereign God.
Please list one quote from me where I said I don't accept a sovereign God.

You cannot list one quote in either instance, and, in fact, I'll provide some quotes of mine which indicate the opposite of what you claim.
  • "Your emphasis seems to be on the fact that God is 100% sovereign. This is true, but you have yet to show that we are not 100% free. There is no reason to think the two cannot be in accord. And there is reason to think they can be, because scripture says so."[/*:m:5c0cc]
  • "Agreed [that God's sovereignty is not affected, no matter how free or how enslaved one might be]. But, the bible never indicates that man's ability to freely choose is ever violated either. God seems to have destined them to be in accordance. This is my view."[/*:m:5c0cc]
The following is a quote of mine, which IF TAKEN OUT OF CONTEXT can be construed to mean that I don't believe God is sovereign.
  • Drew, I would agree with you, that "strong" sovereignty (of God), as you defined it, is incompatible with free will.[/*:m:5c0cc]
I am going to block this avenue for you to say that I don't believe God is sovereign before you go down it. In the above quote I am speaking of "strong" sovereignty as Drew defines it, which if we look at the definition isn't sovereignty at all, but is forceful causality. Drew defined "strong" sovereignty as the case where "God is a fully sufficient determining (causal) agent in respect to any and all events (including human decisions). In other words, no event occurs which is not directly caused by God and God alone." You have equivocated on your stance concerning this (as I showed in a previous post). I, however, have never insisted that God causally forces everything we do, and the bible never suggests this. God's sovereignty, as depicted in the bible, means God's will will be done. I am not sovereign because I am not in control of everything, but God is. However, this doesn't mean that God forces everything to occur. For instance, I just lifted my arm up, but I'm sure God didn't force me to do that. God being sovereign simply means, as I said before, His will will be done. So, from the outset, let me clarify that in the above quote I didn't deny God's sovereignty; I denied God's causal forcing of every event. So, this quote not being an option, please provide any statement from me where I denied God's sovereignty, as you claim I do.

Also, it seems your trying to bring up old issues to avoid the current issue we were focusing on, namely, monergism versus synergism. I provided many quotes from you in a previous post, which were contradictory and gave you the chance to respond to them. You have again chosen to simply avoid any problematic concerns in your position, by not responding to the issues that I raised. In issues that are problematic for you, you simply refuse to acknowledge and pass them over as if they don't exist. I would expect you to go back to my two former posts and answer the serious questions I raised, but I seriously doubt that will happen. History shows you will just glance over them and pay them no mind then proceed to label me as "philosophical" and unfoundedly assert that I have no biblical basis for my position, and so on. Now I'm not God, but I foresee that happening.

Dave said:
I then established by scripture that God can remain perfectly sovereign while allowing man to make responsible choices. We may not be able to understand how, but clearly scripture shows that both can work at the same time.
Who is disagreeing with this? I exactly stated this many times. Exactly. See my following quotes.
  • Agreed. But, the bible never indicates that man's ability to freely choose is ever violated either. God seems to have destined them to be in accordance. This is my view. I do not speculate on the how. But in regards to the if they are co-existent, I answer yes, based on a reading of the bible (which shows them to be in alignment, accordance, agreement, or however you want to state it).[/*:m:a451e]
  • I can agree with this. To say God can "work around" our free will choices is just a manner of saying God has made it so that our free choices are in accordance with His sovereign will (which is what I believe). Your emphasis seems to be on the fact that God is 100% sovereign. This is true, but you have yet to show that we are not 100% free. There is no reason to think the two cannot be in accord. And there is reason to think they can be, because scripture says so.[/*:m:a451e]
I will again ask you to comment on the post where I showed you (through posting your previous statements) to hold conflicting, or at least inconsistent, viewpoints. Here, you should either clarify your conflicting statements or retract them. Also, you still need to comment on my follow post where I showed the many ways in which your responses and position are inadequate. Here, you should adequately respond to the issues for which I showed your response to be insufficient.

Dave, I am really sorry to be so blunt here, but unless you agree to face all the problematic issues I (and Drew) have raised it will be a waste of my time continuing this discussion.

Gentlemen:

We may still have some terminology problems. When I use the term "perfectly sovereign" or "100 % sovereign", or more importantly when either of you use such terms, I tend to default to a

"God is a fully sufficient determining (causal) agent in respect to any and all events (including human decisions). In other words, no event occurs which is not directly caused by God and God alone."

construal. Let's call this "strong causal sovereignty".

I was therefore a little surprised to read that NR was Ok with God being 100% sovereign. However, in the same post, he later clarified that his construal of sovereignty is that "God's will will be done". I too am happy with this kind of sovereignty. Maybe we could call this "will fulfillment sovereignty" (I am open to other, more descriptive terms).

So when NR asks "who is disagreeing with this" in his most recent post, Dave would understandably answer "Drew!" - and he would be right given my default construal of sovereignty - namely "strong causal sovereignty".

So to be clear, I reject "strong causal sovereignty" but I do accept "will-fulfillment sovereignty".

I realize this is a longshot, but, Dave, could it be that you actually embrace "will fulfillment sovereignty" but not "strong causal sovereignty"? I suspect that you actually embrace "strong causal sovereignty" but there is no harm in checking......

If you indeed embrace "strong causal sovereignty", are you sure that your Biblical case is not also consistent with "will fulfillment sovereignty" and that you are not approaching the texts in questions with a "strong causal sovereignty" bias?

It would be most amusing if it turned out that we all effectively embraced "will fulfillment sovereignty", rejected "strong causal sovereignty", and agreed that man has some free will.

What, then, would we talk about ? :biggrin

Drew said:
"God is a fully sufficient determining (causal) agent in respect to any and all events (including human decisions). In other words, no event occurs which is not directly caused by God and God alone."

construal. Let's call this "strong causal sovereignty".

I was therefore a little surprised to read that NR was Ok with God being 100% sovereign. However, in the same post, he later clarified that his construal of sovereignty is that "God's will will be done". I too am happy with this kind of sovereignty. Maybe we could call this "will fulfillment sovereignty" (I am open to other, more descriptive terms).
I'm okay with your terminology. They don't allow for any confusion to occur. I know there are descriptive terms for the type of man's free will, as we have used them in this thread, but I wonder if there are some for the type of God's sovereignty. I'll look in a few of my books, but in the meantime causal vs. willful sovereignty is great with me. Also, given this terminology, I do think the bible supports willful sovereignty, as it says "Thy will be done," not "Thy causes be enforced."

Drew said:
What, then, would we talk about ?
Dem Cowboys? (Sorry. I'm from Dallas.)

Dave wrote: you guys still will not accept a sovereign God.

I apologize here, I did not mean for it to sound that way. "sovereign God in all things" is what I meant. I don't know if that makes it any better, but that's what I meant.

I'm taking a break from this thread for a while. When i come back we can go over all the questions and scripture that you think I missed. My hearts just not where it should be for this discussion right know. I need time to get my energy back.

God bless

Dave

Hi Dave:

Wow. I guess one can never assume that a thread has died......

I would propose that each of us not be too "loose" in what we mean by sovereignty. In particular, I would suggest that a particular Biblical text might be consistent with distinctly different fundamental "types" of sovereignty. I, for example, do not presently ascribe to what I have (in an earlier post) defined as "strong causal sovereignty":

"God is a fully sufficient determining (causal) agent in respect to any and all events (including human decisions). In other words, no event occurs which is not directly caused by God and God alone".

On the other hand, I am least open to "will fulfillment sovereignty". Perhaps a definition for will fulfillment sovereignty" might be something like the following:

"God has a set of purposes in mind, a set of goals that He wants to achieve. It is assumed that he does not have a goal re each and every low-level event in the Universe - He may not have a will that a proton in inter-stellar space undergo a particular transformation. He also may not have a will regarding which colour of socks Fred should wear. For those "higher level" things for which God does have a goal (or for which God has a particular willed outcome), God is indeed sovereign - through a combination of His active "intervention" in the world, he ensures that his goal is fulfilled, without in any way interfering with the free will agency of any human being."

I am not sure that this kind of sovereignty can actually work - my intuition tells me it is OK, but I need to think about it.

My point: A certain item of Biblical text might be consistent with both these types of sovereignty (or perhaps even other types). So I would suggest one cannot "claim" a given item of text as supporting one's view unless one makes a case that it does not also support competing views.

Hey Dave...

The will has to be determined by something. That something, we are told in the Bible, is sin. We are slaves to sin, the will is directed or determined by sin. When we are 'set free' the will then becomes directed/resurrected to the spiritual life and we then believe.

Has anyone considered the nature of the soul, di vs. trichonomy? Do you think this has an effect on the fallen state of man?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back