Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Concerning guns and weapons, and violence against mankind...

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
----------

Concerning guns and weapons, and violence against mankind...

----------

Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.

Matthew 26:52

----------

Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

Matthew 10:16

----------

Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:

Hebrews 12:14

----------

Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

Romans 12:19

----------

And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?

Luke 6:46

----------

Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.

Genesis 9:6

----------

Thou shalt not kill.

Exodus 20:13

----------

The LORD trieth the righteous: but the wicked and him that loveth violence his soul hateth.

Psalm 11:5

----------

A man that doeth violence to the blood of any person shall flee to the pit; let no man stay him.

Proverbs 28:17

----------

For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Galatians 5:14

----------

And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloke forbid not to take thy coat also.

Luke 6:29

----------

Say not thou, I will recompense evil; but wait on the LORD, and he shall save thee.

Proverbs 20:22

----------

Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.

Romans 12:17

----------

The LORD shall fight for you, and ye shall hold your peace.

Exodus 14:14

----------

For I will surely deliver thee, and thou shalt not fall by the sword, but thy life shall be for a prey unto thee: because thou hast put thy trust in me, saith the LORD.

Jeremiah 39:18

----------

There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.

Psalm 91:10

----------

But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Hebrews 11:6

----------

Whoso despiseth the word shall be destroyed: but he that feareth the commandment shall be rewarded.

Proverbs 13:13

----------

OBEY The Lord Jesus Christ and STOP SINNING, or go to the Lake of Fire...

Born again Christians DO NOT SIN!

----------

Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.

1 John 3:6

----------

We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

1 John 5:18

----------

Do not let someone deceive you into doing violence against another human being by quoting the following scripture:

----------

Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end. And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

Luke 22:36-38

----------

The above instruction (Luke 22:36) was to the apostles of the Lord Jesus Christ that were in His immediate vicinity at that exact moment - it was NOT a general commandment to the body of Christ.

----------

Here are John the Baptist's instructions to SOLDIERS - look what he says -- please keep in mind that these are instructions TO THE MILITARY.

"...Do violence to no man..."

----------

And the soldiers likewise demanded of him, saying, And what shall we do? And he said unto them, Do violence to no man, neither accuse any falsely; and be content with your wages.

Luke 3:14

----------

No one should look to do violence against another human being.

However, if we are to take care of our families to protect them from violent men who would rape and murder our families, then we have an obligation to provide security for them.

What Father would stand by and let criminals rape their wives or daughters, or murder their family, without trying to protect them?

This also goes for working to provide food, shelter, clothing and general needs for his family.

But if anyone does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever. 1 Timothy 5:8

What good would it do to work and provide food and shelter for your family, only to stand by and let criminals murder or rape them?

JLB

However, if we are to take care of our families to protect them from violent men who would rape and murder our families, then we have an obligation to provide security for them.

What Father would stand by and let criminals rape their wives or daughters, or murder their family, without trying to protect them?

This also goes for working to provide food, shelter, clothing and general needs for his family.

But if anyone does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever. 1 Timothy 5:8

What good would it do to work and provide food and shelter for your family, only to stand by and let criminals murder or rape them?

JLB

I believe If you kill someone or harm them in "self-defense", you've wilfully sinned, and you'll go to Hell no matter what - there is no scripture in the New testament this says there's such a thing as self-defense - in fact, it says to do the opposite, and it says it MULTIPLE times, and I've provided the scripture - have Satan and his angels really blinded you so much?

----------

For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

Hebrews 10:26-27

Exodus 22:2-3 God's attitude towards self-defense

Mark 3:27 a thief would have to bind the strong man first taking him by surprise so the strong man could not defend him and his family

Luke 12:36 we have the right to defend our self against a thief entering our home.

Luke 22:36 we must use wisdom regarding when to fight and when not to fight.

The Bible never forbids self-defense and believers are allowed to defend themselves and their families. But the fact that we are permitted to defend ourselves does not necessarily mean we must do so in every situation

For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

Hebrews 10:26-27

I see you don’t even understand the context of this verse.

Not surprising.

JLB

I believe If you kill someone or harm them in "self-defense", you've wilfully sinned, and you'll go to Hell no matter what - there is no scripture in the New testament this says there's such a thing as self-defense - in fact, it says to do the opposite, and it says it MULTIPLE times, and I've provided the scripture - have Satan and his angels really blinded you so much?

Obviously you have no scripture to back up your claim.

You won’t last long here if you keeping making up your own doctrine then telling us we are all going to hell because we don’t abide by your unscriptural theology.

JLB

JLB
I pray everyday that God will protect those I love.
That works better than arming myself.

That's what scripture says. But speaking of one who has been a hunter and a shooter for most my life ans have more often went armed than not...that one thing became apparent. That even if a man carries an arm with him, small arms are fairly feeble stoppers, so even if one carries a 44 mag, there's still a whole lot of room for faith and trust in the Lord at the same time. In fact, when I carry a pistol I know full well that it is not my primary defense accoutrement, the Lord is!

So I believe that pistols for defense are for exigent circumstances in which there is no time to pray. And at the same time, being armed gives you more time to think or pray.

I believe praying for protection works as well, and I also believe we need to provide security for our families, as well as food and shelter and clothing.

I believe God blesses us and protects us.

I also lock my doors at night.

JLB

----------

Concerning guns and weapons, and violence against mankind...

----------

Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.

Matthew 26:52

----------

Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

Matthew 10:16

----------

Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:

Hebrews 12:14

----------

Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

Romans 12:19

----------

And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?

Luke 6:46

----------

Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.

Genesis 9:6

----------

Thou shalt not kill.

Exodus 20:13

----------

The LORD trieth the righteous: but the wicked and him that loveth violence his soul hateth.

Psalm 11:5

----------

A man that doeth violence to the blood of any person shall flee to the pit; let no man stay him.

Proverbs 28:17

----------

For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Galatians 5:14

----------

And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloke forbid not to take thy coat also.

Luke 6:29

----------

Say not thou, I will recompense evil; but wait on the LORD, and he shall save thee.

Proverbs 20:22

----------

Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.

Romans 12:17

----------

The LORD shall fight for you, and ye shall hold your peace.

Exodus 14:14

----------

For I will surely deliver thee, and thou shalt not fall by the sword, but thy life shall be for a prey unto thee: because thou hast put thy trust in me, saith the LORD.

Jeremiah 39:18

----------

There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.

Psalm 91:10

----------

But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Hebrews 11:6

----------

Whoso despiseth the word shall be destroyed: but he that feareth the commandment shall be rewarded.

Proverbs 13:13

----------

OBEY The Lord Jesus Christ and STOP SINNING, or go to the Lake of Fire...

Born again Christians DO NOT SIN!

----------

Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.

1 John 3:6

----------

We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

1 John 5:18

----------

Do not let someone deceive you into doing violence against another human being by quoting the following scripture:

----------

Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end. And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

Luke 22:36-38

----------

The above instruction (Luke 22:36) was to the apostles of the Lord Jesus Christ that were in His immediate vicinity at that exact moment - it was NOT a general commandment to the body of Christ.

----------

Here are John the Baptist's instructions to SOLDIERS - look what he says -- please keep in mind that these are instructions TO THE MILITARY.

"...Do violence to no man..."

----------

And the soldiers likewise demanded of him, saying, And what shall we do? And he said unto them, Do violence to no man, neither accuse any falsely; and be content with your wages.

Luke 3:14

----------
There are a couple of problems with your interpretation of the verses you quoted here.

First off, Exe 20:3 does not say "Thou shalt not Kill." It says, "Thou shalt not MURDER". As examples, there are many places in the OT where God commanded the Israelites to kill: other nations (man, woman and child (1 Sam 15:3)), criminals, even a disobedient child was commanded to be killed if he would not listen to his parents (Deut 21:18-21), and other examples as well. It is not killing that God was commanding against, but random, senseless, meaningless violence, violence in anger, or as a predator.

Yes, we as children of God are to be peaceful as much as it is possible to live in peace, but the example is there in the OT that when we are threatened (as a nation or as individuals) we are allowed to defend ourselves, and those who are weak who cannot defend themselves. But I believe this falls into the category of speaking to those of stronger faith. Those who have weaker faith cannot eat meat sacrificed to idols because they see the idol as something and so see the meat as being dedicated to that something. Those of us of stronger faith can eat the meat because we know the idol is nothing, and so the meat is not tainted by the nothing (1 Cor 8). So too, those of weaker faith are afraid that defending themselves will cross the line into "violence" and so avoid even the appearance of strength of arms. While those of stronger faith have no fear of appearing strong of arms, and are able to protect those who would fall pray to the wolves (both physically and Spiritually).

Back