Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] Creation-six days or seven?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Vic C.

Was it a six day or seven day creation? Some say six, some say seven. There are some who believe the seventh day is included in Creation because God created the Sabbath on that day. Some say the Sabbath is more of a declaration that is was a creation.

You views?

I think you missed my point. Read the post again. It's not about a first day/seventh day debate. It's about whether or not the Sabbath was a creation in it's own...making the number of days in the creation six or seven.

On the seventh day, God rested. He blessed the seventh day and decared it holy.

Actually, a day is the amount of time for a planet to rotate completely on its axis. As it rotates, each point on the surface (well, maybe not the near the poles) goes through a period of light and a period of dark. This is the Biblical definition of day found in the Bible.

On earth, this takes almost 24 hours. On other planetary bodies, the time is much difference. On the moon for instance, a day is approximately 672 hours (28 earth days).

For those 7th day sabbath only people --- do we have to celebrate according to earth days or local days? If I lived on a moon base, would a new Sabbath start every 168 hours as it would if I were on earth, or would my Sabbaths start every 7th sundown, 4704 hours after the previous Sabbath?

Vic said:
Was it a six day or seven day creation?

Or perhaps there were 8 days of creation, so that Adam and Eve were created on the 8 th day.

draper said:
Yes, I feel that the Sabbath day was a creation in itself.

well you would be wrong. God Himself proclaims;
Exd 20:11 For [in] six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them [is], and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

As you see nothing was created on the seventh. Not even the sabbath.

mhess13 said:
6 literal 24 hour days just the the Bible plainly says.

Can you give me a chapter and verse number where this is plainly stated?

cubedbee said:
mhess13 said:

Chapter 1:3-29.
When this was written timex was not yet around. They had no concept of hours minutes and seconds as we do. The language is written in terms so that not only would they understand, but each generation after. The eveving and the morning is a phrase to designate one day passing. Not eons of time.

saved said:
cubedbee said:
mhess13 said:

When this was written timex was not yet around. They had no concept of hours minutes and seconds as we do. The language is written in terms so that not only would they understand, but each generation after. The eveving and the morning is a phrase to designate one day passing. Not eons of time.

What is a day though? And a day from who's perspective?

Evening and morning are both the result of our planet rotating on its axis. This amount of time is almost, but not quite, 24 hours. However, we should all know that this is not constant, but that our planet is slowing down. The one object in the universe that most influences the Earth's rotation speed is the moon. However, the moon wasn't created until the 4th day. Without the moon, the Earth would rotate much faster than it does now, since the moon contains most of the angular momentum of the Earth-moon system. God could have been violating the laws of physics at this time and these days really could all be 24 hours, but that is reading into the passage something that is not there.

We must also realize that time isn't constant. Time moves slower the faster you move. If you were to get on a spaceship moving very close to the speed of light, one day could pass for you on your ship, while for us on Earth thousands or milliions of years will have elapsed. The same effect would happen if you went very close to a huge source of gravity. Just because 6 days passed on Earth doesn't mean the rest of the universe isn't billions of years old. Both can be true at the same time.

Speaking about slowing down...there are some who believe that the earth in it's early stages may have revolving at 17 hours per revolution. Man, that surely puts a twist on things, huh? :wink:

When this was written timex was not yet around. They had no concept of hours minutes and seconds as we do. The language is written in terms so that not only would they understand, but each generation after. The eveving and the morning is a phrase to designate one day passing. Not eons of time

:Fade-color So you mean that God wanted to make it very hard for his creation to understand him and his word?
So if you are not a linguist or someone who knows what time was when the words of the bible was written,then you don't understand what God meant?
I DON'T THINK SO!!!!
God is all for common sense,amen.

Back