Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Demonic possessions

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
In Matthew 8:28, where it says that the demons that possessed the two men and ran to Jesus, did they get on their knees? is there any reference to this that they did that? I was watching a sermon and the pastor added that. However, I did not see it in the book of Matthew. Is it in the other books (Mark, Luke) because I know they gave more details than Matthew did?

the demons that possessed the two men and ran to Jesus, did they get on their knees?
As you say there is nothing in the bible to imply that they did, if anything they would have protested about Jesus expelling them.

May I suggest you ask via email, why this pastor added to the bible.
If you don't get a satisfactory reply stop watching that pastor/church.

Mat 8:28 And when he was come to the other side into the country of the Gergesenes, there met him two possessed with devils, coming out of the tombs, exceeding fierce, so that no man might pass by that way.
Mat 8:29 And, behold, they cried out, saying, What have we to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God? art thou come hither to torment us before the time?
Mat 8:30 And there was a good way off from them an herd of many swine feeding.
Mat 8:31 So the devils besought him, saying, If thou cast us out, suffer us to go away into the herd of swine.
Mat 8:32 And he said unto them, Go. And when they were come out, they went into the herd of swine: and, behold, the whole herd of swine ran violently down a steep place into the sea, and perished in the waters.
Mat 8:33 And they that kept them fled, and went their ways into the city, and told every thing, and what was befallen to the possessed of the devils.
Mat 8:34 And, behold, the whole city came out to meet Jesus: and when they saw him, they besought him that he would depart out of their coasts.

Demons will get on their knees in front of Jesus, but only to plead before Him as we can read in the above verses that they ran towards Jesus pleading to be put into the swine.

Mark 5:1-20 is the definitive passage on demon possession and its effects in the Bible. Some of the details about demons the Bible reveals in this passage are:

1. Devils want to be near dead human bodies or tombs (vs. 2, 3, 5).
2. They can cause unusual strength (vs. 3-4).
3. They can make a person unreasonable or immune to sensible persuasion (vs. 4).
4. They cause excessive crying (vs. 5).
5. They cause sadistic and masochistic behavior (vs. 5).
6. They have an affinity for heights (vs. 5).
7. They recognize Christ as "the Son of God" and appeal to Him (vs. 6-7).
8. They know they deserve torment and dread it (vs. 6-7).
9. They have names (vs. 9).
10. More than one can possess the same body (vs. 9).
11. They desire to stay in the same geographical region or "country" (vs. 10).
12. They would rather indwell an animal body than none at all (vs. 12).
13. They can cause animals to kill themselves (vs. 13).
14. They desire to be in a body when it dies (vs. 13).
15. They have a desire for water (vs. 13).

Mark 9:17-29 gives us even more details about devils:

16. They can cause dumbness and deafness (vs. 17, 25).
17. They cause rabid animal like behavior (vs. 18).
18. They can indwell from childhood (vs. 21).
19. They cause suicidal behavior (vs. 22).
20. They resist leaving a body and violently "rent" it while leaving (vs. 26).
21. There are different kinds of devils. Some have more power than others (vs. 29).
22. Some can only be removed by prayer and fasting of believer (vs. 29).

Ephesians 6:12 states Satan has a hierarchy of "devils" in his kingdom, "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." Thus some devils have more power and authority than others.

In Daniel 10:13 (as well as Mark 9:29) there is an example of this. "The prince of the kingdom of Persia" withstood the angel sent to explain Daniel's vision to him for 21 days. He could only break free when the angel Michael came and helped him overcome the powerful "prince." The "prince" may have been Satan, but more likely he was a very powerful devil.

********************************************************************************************

Spiritually born again Christians who are indwelled with the Holy Spirit, Romans 8:9-11; 1 Corinthians 3:16; 6:19, could never have a demon possess them, but one can oppress them like that of Paul's thorn in the flesh. The Holy Spirit would not allow a demon to possess the same person He is dwelling in.

1 Peter 1:13-25; 2 Corinthians 5:17-20, God would not allow a demon to enter into one of His own as we are a new creation in Christ covered by His blood. We wage war with Satan and his demons on a daily basis, but not from within ourselves as we are of God and through Christ we have overcome them because greater is He that is in us than he that is in the world, 1 John 4:4.

Ephesians 6:10-20 we put on the full armour of God everyday in order to stand against the evil one and his demons. The believer has overcome the world of demons and nowhere in scripture does it say that one of God's own can be demon possessed

Last edited:
In Matthew 8:28, where it says that the demons that possessed the two men and ran to Jesus, did they get on their knees? is there any reference to this that they did that? I was watching a sermon and the pastor added that. However, I did not see it in the book of Matthew. Is it in the other books (Mark, Luke) because I know they gave more details than Matthew did?
Will do. Thanks for the suggestion.

Then they sailed to the country of the Gadarenes, which is opposite Galilee. And when He stepped out on the land, there met Him a certain man from the city who had demons for a long time. And he wore no clothes, nor did he live in a house but in the tombs. When he saw Jesus, he cried out, fell down before Him, and with a loud voice said, “What have I to do with You, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I beg You, do not torment me!” Luke 8:26-28

I need to retract that of what I said that demons do not fall down before Jesus in post #3 in light of what JLB presented in Luke's account in post # 5 that the demons did fall down before Jesus pleading with Him to cast them into the swine.

Thank you JLB for correcting me on this.

I think they did. In Mark, it actually says the man ran to Jesus and worshipped Him, but if the man was demon possessed then it sure do sound like they were down on the ground too!

5 They went across the lake to the region of the Gerasenes.[a] 2 When Jesus got out of the boat, a man with an impure spirit came from the tombs to meet him. 3 This man lived in the tombs, and no one could bind him anymore, not even with a chain. 4 For he had often been chained hand and foot, but he tore the chains apart and broke the irons on his feet. No one was strong enough to subdue him. 5 Night and day among the tombs and in the hills he would cry out and cut himself with stones.

6 When he saw Jesus from a distance, he ran and fell on his knees in front of him. 7 He shouted at the top of his voice, “What do you want with me, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? In God’s name don’t torture me!” 8 For Jesus had said to him, “Come out of this man, you impure spirit!”.../

3 This man lived in the tombs...No one was strong enough to subdue him. (Because he was possessed by Demons),...When he saw Jesus from a distance, he ran and fell on his knees in front of him. (The man or the demon?)
7 He shouted at the top of his voice, “What do you want with me, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? In God’s name don’t torture me!”...
That has to be the demon talking! So the answer to your question is, Yes. The demons were on their knees before Christ.

That's the thing about the Lord. He will let it be possible for even people that's way gone over the edge, even demon possessed, to be able to reach out to the Lord, even if only in intention of the heart and they can not speak. Because out of the heart man speaks. So I think the possessed man took the initiatve and ran to Jesus, which was allowed because our God is bigger than their God! :clap

I need to retract that of what I said that demons do not fall down before Jesus in post #3 in light of what JLB presented in Luke's account in post # 5 that the demons did fall down before Jesus pleading with Him to cast them into the swine.

Thank you JLB for correcting me on this.

I don’t know, it’s kind of vague. I wouldn’t say your presentation needs to be corrected, at all.

The passage really seems to say the man himself fell down before the Lord.

When he saw Jesus, he cried out, fell down before Him, and with a loud voice said, “What have I to do with You, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I beg You, do not torment me!”

It seems it was the man himself that fell down, however we know he was possessed by demons.

Personally I think you did a great job at expounding on this subject.

JLB

I don’t know, it’s kind of vague. I wouldn’t say your presentation needs to be corrected, at all.

The passage really seems to say the man himself fell down before the Lord.

When he saw Jesus, he cried out, fell down before Him, and with a loud voice said, “What have I to do with You, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I beg You, do not torment me!”

It seems it was the man himself that fell down, however we know he was possessed by demons.

Personally I think you did a great job at expounding on this subject.

JLB
Matthew 8:29 And, behold, they cried out, saying, What have we to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God? art thou come hither to torment us before the time?

In Matthews account we see two men possessed with the demons, but it was the demons that were crying out to Jesus pleading with Him.

Luke 8:28 When he saw Jesus, he cried out, and fell down before him, and with a loud voice said, What have I to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God most high? I beseech thee, torment me not.

In Luke's account we see just one man as "he/ I", not the demons, crying out to Jesus and he fell down before Him.

I feel Luke gives a better description then Matthew does of who fell before Jesus.

It can be a little confusing as we see two disciples giving that of their own account, but the importance is that even demons recognize Jesus as the Son of God and tremble at His name.

Reactions: JLB
I personally believe that it would be impossible for anyone including demons to face Jesus (God) and not go to its knees before Him.

I have sworn by Myself;
The word has gone out of My mouth in righteousness,
And shall not return,
That to Me every knee shall bow,
Every tongue shall take an oath.

Isaiah 45:23 NKJV

I remember a couple times when I felt a bad prescence or a bad vibe or something so I took authority over it and cast it out. I didn't know where to cast it out to so I told them to never return and to go to the feet of Jesus and ask Him what to do.

I'm pretty sure they had to obey that, if it really was an evil spirit.

WIP I will add this to your post as I believe even the demons will see Christ return knowing their end has come.

Rev 1:7 Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.

Reactions: WIP
Thanks, guys, and yes, I believe they did bow (the demons). I had emailed the church just like WIP suggested and they got back to me today. They gave me the reference of Mark 5:6. I looked and it's there in the verse. Good to know we got that cleared and my, dare I say favorite? pastor so far is not wrong. Not saying that he is perfect, but most of his teachings have awakened and convicted me. Praise the Lord.

First off - I will take issue with the word "possessed." I know that the KJV uses it extensively, and that most other translations fall in step with that. However, since possession indicates ownership, it is inappropriate and not supported in the Greek text, no matter which manuscript family you ascribe to. The only passage that even hints of ownership by a demon is in Acts 16.16, the slave girl owned by a demon spirit of divination.

The other passages are better translated to be "demonized" or "demon attached." Even the poor fellows in the Gerasene/Gadradene tombs. As Rev Charles Simpson (southern Baptist) once said, even having a legion of demons was not enough to keep this man (or men) away from our Lord.

To answer your question about the MAN (not the demons) running to our Lord:

Mark 5:1
They came to the other side of the sea, into the country of the Gerasenes. 2 When He got out of the boat, immediately a man from the tombs with an unclean spirit met Him, 3 and he had his dwelling among the tombs. And no one was able to bind him anymore, even with a chain; 4 because he had often been bound with shackles and chains, and the chains had been torn apart by him and the shackles broken in pieces, and no one was strong enough to subdue him. 5 Constantly, night and day, he was screaming among the tombs and in the mountains, and gashing himself with stones. 6 Seeing Jesus from a distance, he ran up and bowed down before Him;

First off - I will take issue with the word "possessed." I know that the KJV uses it extensively, and that most other translations fall in step with that. However, since possession indicates ownership, it is inappropriate and not supported in the Greek text, no matter which manuscript family you ascribe to. The only passage that even hints of ownership by a demon is in Acts 16.16, the slave girl owned by a demon spirit of divination.

The other passages are better translated to be "demonized" or "demon attached." Even the poor fellows in the Gerasene/Gadradene tombs. As Rev Charles Simpson (southern Baptist) once said, even having a legion of demons was not enough to keep this man (or men) away from our Lord.

To answer your question about the MAN (not the demons) running to our Lord:

Mark 5:1
They came to the other side of the sea, into the country of the Gerasenes. 2 When He got out of the boat, immediately a man from the tombs with an unclean spirit met Him, 3 and he had his dwelling among the tombs. And no one was able to bind him anymore, even with a chain; 4 because he had often been bound with shackles and chains, and the chains had been torn apart by him and the shackles broken in pieces, and no one was strong enough to subdue him. 5 Constantly, night and day, he was screaming among the tombs and in the mountains, and gashing himself with stones. 6 Seeing Jesus from a distance, he ran up and bowed down before Him;
Apparently you have never seen a demon or a legion of demons take over a persons body as this is what being possessed means. I and many others have and even cast them out of a person in the name of Jesus taking authority and power over them.

Mat 8:28 And when he was come to the other side into the country of the Gergesenes, there met him two possessed with devils, coming out of the tombs, exceeding fierce, so that no man might pass by that way.

Notice the words exceeding fierce as this is how the man came out of the tombs. In order for this action to be taken a demon first has to take over a persons body. I would suggest you go read Mark 5:1-20 which is about demons and how they posses a person.

Apparently you have never seen a demon or a legion of demons take over a persons body as this is what being possessed means. I and many others have and even cast them out of a person in the name of Jesus taking authority and power over them.

Notice the words exceeding fierce as this is how the man came out of the tombs. In order for this action to be taken a demon first has to take over a persons body. I would suggest you go read Mark 5:1-20 which is about demons and how they posses a person.
Actually I have, many times.

The pentecostalist congregation I attended as a kid was part of Lester Sumrall's organization ( now called LeSEA) and the congregation I attended in college was part of Derek Prince's organization. Both men were pioneers in the field of deliverance from demonic spirits. I have kicked demons out of several people myself.

As I said, possession indicates ownership. Yes, they can do some rather strange things and even show superhuman strength. But that is not possession.

The pentecostalist congregation I attended as a kid was part of Lester Sumrall's organization ( now called LeSEA) and the congregation I attended in college was part of Derek Prince's organization. Both men were pioneers in the field of deliverance from demonic spirits. I have kicked demons out of several people myself.

Two great men of God, though some will disagree.

You are blessed.

JLB

Actually I have, many times.

As I said, possession indicates ownership. Yes, they can do some rather strange things and even show superhuman strength. But that is not possession.
All I can say is one can take ownership until another takes over that ownership away, but we can move on.
God bless:)

According to the word.. 1st HI! No where according to the original does it say they got on their knees. Yes there is coming a day when all will bow.. Thats written.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back