Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Demonology

BradtheImpaler said:
You honestly believe there were giants who were hundreds of feet tall?

I'm not sure about the quatitative value. My translation obviously uses a different numerical value and unit of measure. I do believe however there were giants of some sort:

There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown. Genesis 6:4

These giants were referred to as Nephilim http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nephilim

jgredline said:
The book of enoch was not one of the inspired books.

OK.... maybe it wasn't. But would that give us an excuse to sweep it under the rug to make our lives easier by restricting sources so we do not have to do so much searching?

tim_from_pa said:
OK.... maybe it wasn't. But would that give us an excuse to sweep it under the rug to make our lives easier by restricting sources so we do not have to do so much searching?

Tim
I agree that we should use what ever source we have like the internet..
What I am telling you as that the person you are debating with ''BRAD'' is not a Christian. So if you keep that in mind, he will have the advantage in debating you because he not only has the bible, but worldly resources as well. Combine that with the fact that he is a smart guy, I don't see how you can get anyplace.
To debate Brad, you need to keep the debate in the context of the scriptures..
This was he is on your turf.
''This is only my opinion.'' and yes brad, although I do not agree with you, I do respect you. You are more honest than those who profess to be Christians but are not....

jgredline said:
Tim
I agree that we should use what ever source we have like the internet..
What I am telling you as that the person you are debating with ''BRAD'' is not a Christian. So if you keep that in mind, he will have the advantage in debating you because he not only has the bible, but worldly resources as well. Combine that with the fact that he is a smart guy, I don't see how you can get anyplace.
To debate Brad, you need to keep the debate in the context of the scriptures..
This was he is on your turf.
''This is only my opinion.'' and yes brad, although I do not agree with you, I do respect you. You are more honest than those who profess to be Christians but are not....

Thank you for the multiple compliments :angel:

I'm not sure I am really debating with Tim, though. I was just pointing out an incredible claim in Enoch when Tim seemed to be willing to entertain it? I am not trying to be condescending, but it is a bit startling to me that any modern day person would even entertain the possibility that there were hybrid humans a few thousand years ago who were hundreds of feet tall. What do you think?

I'm not sure I am really debating with Tim, though. I was just pointing out an incredible claim in Enoch when Tim seemed to be willing to entertain it? I am not trying to be condescending, but it is a bit startling to me that any modern day person would even entertain the possibility that there were hybrid humans a few thousand years ago who were hundreds of feet tall. What do you think?

First off I don't believe the Enoch story, and yes it is quite rediculous. That being said I'll tell you a theory I have. I think that after the fall that many things slowly started degenerating in size and quality, as we also see human life span degraded overtime too (in Genesis), perhaps denoting a change in human phisiology. If you look at fossils there were some Dragon Flies way-back-when that were 6-feet long and is one of many examples of physical "degredation" in size over time. I think also that Adam & Eve had 100% of their brain capacity actively accessible to them. So I think originally humans were much more efficient and perhaps larger (but not necessarily). The gene pool though was probably alot more potent (I'll bet the near 90% "junk DNA" as they call it today played a role in the formation of giants phisiologically back then). Obviously giants were rather rare yet present in Bible days, perhaps a recessive gene of sorts. I think the flood would have wiped out this diverse range of phisiological features and only live on through Noah with certain traits. But fossils show an amazing world of pre-flood life (not to mention a different atmospheric habitat) with enourmous trees, reptiles, and even insects, and no doubt there could also have been large humans. Just a theory.

My personal belief (don't ask for proof) is that "ghosts" are nothing more than fallen angels who are posing as the departed loved ones of people who want to communicate with their lost loved ones, and satan is more than happy to accomodate them.

The same hold true (again in my opinion) of space aliens and space ships. The devil can cause people who believe in that sort of thing to see whatever they want to see, and to experience what isn't real. He's far from being omipotent as God is, but he is very powerful and has many fallen angels working for him.

2 Col. 5:8 says "absent from the body and present with the Lord." That sounds like an immediate process and not something that happens over a period of time once we've settled problems on earth after our death.

In Luke 16:22,23 we're told of the rich man who "died, and was buried; And in hell he lifted up his eyes, being in torments." This, too, was an immediate process. There are no spirits wandering the earth and haunting people.

My personal belief (don't ask for proof) is that "ghosts" are nothing more than fallen angels who are posing as the departed loved ones of people who want to communicate with their lost loved ones, and satan is more than happy to accomodate them.

Absolutely. I'd be quicker to tell someone they saw a demon if they claimed to have seen a "ghost" in a saunce than to tell them that they are crazy.

Well, I'm open-minded :-D---- and us religious types were always the ones considered closed-minded by the open-minded modern world.

Jon-Marc said:

The same hold true (again in my opinion) of space aliens and space ships. The devil can cause people who believe in that sort of thing to see whatever they want to see, and to experience what isn't real. He's far from being omipotent as God is, but he is very powerful and has many fallen angels working for him.

2 Col. 5:8 says "absent from the body and present with the Lord." That sounds like an immediate process and not something that happens over a period of time once we've settled problems on earth after our death.

In Luke 16:22,23 we're told of the rich man who "died, and was buried; And in hell he lifted up his eyes, being in torments." This, too, was an immediate process. There are no spirits wandering the earth and haunting people.

Like I said, I tend to agree, because "it is appointed unto man once to die [hance no reincarnation, etc] and afterwards the judgement" I have trouble believing that human spirits would be allowed to roam about. Demons on the other hand have that freedom because their "bodies" are of a spiritual nature by definition.

I respect the well known "ghost-hunters", the Warrens, http://www.warrens.net who took I believe a Catholic slant (their faith) to possessions, manifestations, etc. and warned people not to play with Ouija boards, occult or anything like that or else they could encourage demonic or poltergeist activity. I agree wholeheartedly there.

They made a comment somewhere on that site regarding hauntings were either human spirits or non-human. The hauntings that manifest strong activity they contended were most likely non-human like demonic because human spirits did not have that kind of strength.

This is where I disagree IF (please note that condition) they were correct. A human being is created after God's image and likeness, and as such are a higher order of creation than the angels (and demons), and are as God Himself and would definitely have such great power. Of course a lost soul may not have that power, lacking the power of God, but then again, such a soul would not live on, as the human spirit is not intrinsically eternal, but will die due to sin. The eternal bliss or torment of one's spirit comes with the resurrection, for Jesus will resurrect both the living and the dead: one to eternal life, and the other to eternal punishment. But those are minor theological differences I have with the Warrens. BTW, Ed Warren just passed away this year so it is only his wife that continues now.

tim_from_pa said:
Well, I'm open-minded :-D---- and us religious types were always the ones considered closed-minded by the open-minded modern world.

There's a difference between open-minded and naive.

Back