Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[__ Prayer __] Did Not See Any Of This Coming.....

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

LostSoul

In the past, I have shared with a number of you here my husband's and my own personal issues with his father. Last year after a year of living off of us and watching us sink....we helped him move in with his ex-wife, my mother-in-law, as he was a truly negative influence on our household during my pregnancy with our son. Our hearts are still healing from the damages done....as well as the manner in which he looked at the oncoming arrival of our now beautiful nearly 8 month old boy.

Yesterday....we recieved a call from a homeless shelter from a Mr. Burreson....which we knew could only be one person....my hubby's father. My husband....I had never seen so conflicted with pain, anger, disappointment, and uncertainty as to how to approach another individual.

Please....before saying anything keep these things in mind:

My husband's father was never around him growing up and would frequently neglect him for a date with other ladies as my husband was growing up and trying to get to know him.....

My father-in-law also never was there for any of my mother-in-law's pregnancies. So...more or less my father-in-law had little to no role in his own children's lives from day one....he, himself told me this....

My father-in-law wanted to die in our home. He had even considered suicide after we gave him a roof and tried to help him get his life back together after his second divorce.....we wanted very much to have a relationship with him, but he clearly did not want one with us....his life...had just become too much for him. (We did call the suicide hotline...and they said unless he was an immediate danger to himself or others there was nothing they could do. In other words, they did nothing. I have already called them, as well as e-mailed them telling them what I think of their ignorance in this situation. We also tried to contact mental health services to get him some help....but again...they were of no help to us as they told us they cannot help someone who does not want to help himself.)

The final straw for us came....when we asked him how he was going to handle our son....his response. "I will just have to put up with it...." He spoke as if his grandson was a curse...not the blessing he was that my husband and I waited four years for.

We do not know why he is trying to get in contact with us....it could be for what little of his things we have....maybe even forgiveness....or perhaps to ask us to take him back in....we do not know. All we know is that we are still hurting.....and that if he asks for forgiveness we will try to give it. However, we have decided that because he is so unwilling to help himself....we do not want to run the risk of our son's future again in order to help him. He may be able to visit...but we are not going to want him living with us again after taking advantage of both of us, and also his ex wife who out of the kindness of her heart took him in when we could not afford to have him jobless and suicidal in our home anymore.

At the same time....we are dealing with the possible decision of moving as living close to my parents has only brought us more discomfort as they tend to take advantage of me. As much as I love them...my husband's and my relationship with one another suffers for it. As does our time spent alone with our son....so I ask we are kept in your thoughts and prayers along with my parents, my husband's parents....as this all involves us all.... Just ask God to guide our hearts in the decisions ahead of us.

my wife has been suicidal a number of times and i can relate, you have done what you can. I will pray for him and you. I can sense the heartbreak in you.

Praying honey in the name of Jesus...... Your hubby is the spiritual leader of your home, HE will supply all your needs, and equip your hubby to deal with such a heartbreaking situation. Be a strong women of God for him Danielle. With Christ and a good women...makes a strong God fearing man. GBU

The situation at the present is still pretty rough....

Since I have posted this his father has called us at least three more times. Each time we have been home and each time I have asked my hubby what he would like to do. All of which....he has given the response of: "I will contact him when I am ready." The wounds are still more than visibly there. His eyes always dim when he looks at the caller i.d. and knows it is his father on the phone.

The thing that hurt him the most was the choice he felt his father made him make....that of choosing between his own son and his father. It is something too he has told me he does not know if he can ever forgive his father for. It is sad, but I have similar issues with my father-in-law on account of his feelings or lack thereof in regards of our little angel.

We presently still have at least two of the messages his father has left us on our answer machine. I have not found it in my heart to delete them. Part of me too...has been tempted to ask him just why he is trying so hard to get in touch with us now...after an entire year has come and gone since we parted ways with him.

Anyone....have any thoughts....some biblical words of advice.....anything? Continued prayer would be much appreciated....this is truly a deep matter of the heart that remains unsettled.

Back