Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Do Adults Face Consequences?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

HeIsRisen2018

Dramione love 3333
Other than the obvious if you break a law you go to jail, (or break God's law and you go to Hell if you don't repent and get saved) or screw up your job and you're fired! Besides not paying your rent and getting evicted if you have an apartment, it seems to me like when you live a life free and independent, you can pretty much do what you want whenever you want and you don't get "disciplined" if you make the wrong decision. Sure it might hurt you emotionally, but I don't think that you actually face any other consequences.

Other than the obvious if you break a law you go to jail, (or break God's law and you go to Hell if you don't repent and get saved) or screw up your job and you're fired! Besides not paying your rent and getting evicted if you have an apartment, it seems to me like when you live a life free and independent, you can pretty much do what you want whenever you want and you don't get "disciplined" if you make the wrong decision. Sure it might hurt you emotionally, but I don't think that you actually face any other consequences.
bad marriage, divorce, aligmony pay,
have sex, get a girl pregnant and don't want to be a father, jail or pay up
dont eat right, exercise, poor health, doctor bills, premature death.
don't save enough , live in poverty because social security doesn't pay squat.
and well they take from that for medicare!!

Well, let's not be short sighted here. There are consequences to everything. Whether they be positive or negative. If you are a born again Christian, then you have an audience of one. Scripture says whatever is not done in faith, is sin.

I had a friend show up at my house late in the evening one time. He and his wife had an argument and it got heated between them and he left to give her time to cool off and came over to visit me. Then he started giving me the details of their argument and why his wife was angry with him. And he goes on and starts rationalizing the little thing that he had done which irritated her...she said I did this and yes it it is true but is a small thing and I only did it because blah blah blah...so she is an unreasonable you know what...and then he looked at me as if, I was supposed to agree with him and take his side.

So I told him that every little thing that he ever does or say to her about anything, either builds up their relationship or tears it down just a wee bit. And it was like a lightbulb had been switched on in his head. He got it.

So the reality is, everything has consequences in one way or another. Be it bad or good. Like sowing seeds. Well it wasn't against the law...well I did the bills before wasting the other money on myself...and all that are rationalizations. That is the carnal mind searching for loopholes to tempt us into doing what would not be right. And so, if these things be true in the natural realm and everything does have a consequence....then how much more so in the spiritual, where God is our only audience?

Well, let's not be short sighted here. There are consequences to everything. Whether they be positive or negative. If you are a born again Christian, then you have an audience of one. Scripture says whatever is not done in faith, is sin.

I had a friend show up at my house late in the evening one time. He and his wife had an argument and it got heated between them and he left to give her time to cool off and came over to visit me. Then he started giving me the details of their argument and why his wife was angry with him. And he goes on and starts rationalizing the little thing that he had done which irritated her...she said I did this and yes it it is true but is a small thing and I only did it because blah blah blah...so she is an unreasonable you know what...and then he looked at me as if, I was supposed to agree with him and take his side.

So I told him that every little thing that he ever does or say to her about anything, either builds up their relationship or tears it down just a wee bit. And it was like a lightbulb had been switched on in his head. He got it.

So the reality is, everything has consequences in one way or another. Be it bad or good. Like sowing seeds. Well it wasn't against the law...well I did the bills before wasting the other money on myself...and all that are rationalizations. That is the carnal mind searching for loopholes to tempt us into doing what would not be right. And so, if these things be true in the natural realm and everything does have a consequence....then how much more so in the spiritual, where God is our only audience?

I'm sorry, I just woke up and I don't completely understand what you're trying to say. :/

That there is consequences to everything, even if man's law says you did ok and broke no laws.

Every single yhing in this life, every situation...is a test for us to see how we will react to it.

Life is only 10% what it deals you in the cards, and 90% how you react to it.

Something to think about is that the consquences might not always be your own, even if you're the one who did or didn't do something. Or it might have lasting consquences that affect others. For instance Adam and Eve ate the forbidden fruit. Since then all of mankind and the whole world is in a state of sin and waiting to be restored back to God. What you teach your kids, and how you raise them might have consquences on how they raise their children too.

Another example is when you are charitable, you don't recieve anything from it but those who are on the receiving end of it recieve the consquences of your good gifts. On the other hand some people are cruel, rude, or have fun poking people for a reaction. Often they have their laughs and move on but the person affected will have to face the consquences of the actions of the person in the wrong.

Let me rephrase what I'm saying here,.. I'm using the word consequence as meaning discipline or punishment here.

I guess you mean discipline by people doesn't happen to adults in the way it happens to children.
The Bible says God disciplines His children. That does happen.

Yeah, that's what I meant. When I get out on my own in the real world, God, my landlord, (since I'm probably going to get an apartment somewhere) and my boss are the only ones that I will really have to answer to since I am definitely a law abiding citizen.

You still have to be prepared to obey the lawful orders of a police officer.

You will be given instructions about how to pick up your child at school or remove them during the day to go to the doctor's. They will tell you what is acceptable on an absentee note.

You will be told how to prepare for various medical procedures.

In many communities you will be told what colors your shutters may be, if you can build a shed, how quickly you must shovel your walks after a snow.

You will be told in most states when to get your car's emissions tested.

You will be told what you can wear in some restaurants.

Some churches are committed to disciplining their members.

If you go to a national park you might learn of all kinds of rules and the Rangers enforce them.

You will be given instructions about how to pick up your child at school or remove them during the day to go to the doctor's. They will tell you what is acceptable on an absentee note.

In many communities you will be told what colors your shutters may be, if you can build a shed, how quickly you must shovel your walks after a snow.

If you go to a national park you might learn of all kinds of rules and the Rangers enforce them.

You are exactly right Brother. The Lord chastises those who He loves, His children. I know this first hand. He chopped me down to the ground. I had everything, nice family, my own business, my health...everything except God. And He knew it and was as patient with me as He could be. But I had the big head and didn't need Him (or so I thought!) So He cut me down to size. Let me tell you Brothers & Sisters something...things sure can change fast. So be careful if you have a lot in your life and have been neglecting your Lord.

I have to praise and thank the Lord for humbling me! He saved my life by disciplining me and that is good. So I am not complaining, but yes, I do miss some of what I had!

Although I don't drive, I still see your point. Then there are also the rules of this forum as well. Not too many disciplinary examples there, but I still see what you're saying.

In all things we have to be obedient to God and His moral laws as we live here in a sinful world. Whether it be little children or an adult as the adult needs to be teaching the children that of God's moral laws that affect every aspect of our lives. When we break His commandments then we pay whatever consequences that sin brings about in our lives.

There are laws (commandments) of God that were especially written just for the Hebrews pertaining to the rituals of the Temple, sacrifices, festivals, Torah, Kohanim and Levites, the King and the Nazarite. Then there are the existing moral laws (commandments) for all of us to still follow as in prayers and blessings, love and brotherhood. The poor and unfortunate, treatment of the Gentiles, Marriage, divorce and family. Forbidden sexual relations, business practices, employees and servants. Vows, oaths, swearing, Court and Judicial procedures. Injuries and damages, property and property rights, criminal laws. Prophecy, idolatry and all its practices as the moral laws (commandments) keep us in line with the will of God.

We need to present ourselves a vessel of honor that God delights in as we allow the light of Christ shine in us and through us. This is a testimony of Gods grace and mercy as it is not ourselves that do any good thing, but Gods Spirit working in us and through us as we surrender our will to that of Gods will to be done.

In all things we have to be obedient to God and His moral laws as we live here in a sinful world. Whether it be little children or an adult as the adult needs to be teaching the children that of God's moral laws that affect every aspect of our lives. When we break His commandments then we pay whatever consequences that sin brings about in our lives.

Yep. I learned that the hard way. Right after my divorce I was suddenly free again after 26 years...and I sort of went nuts for a short while. I've never told this one before but at one point ( 2 times actually) the Lord sent me a message through a total stranger who I had never met or even spoken to before and starts warning me to stop doing this and that sins or things will not go well for me...and everything he said was right on the money. It scared the crap out of me! So I When a stranger from another state calls you up with words of knowledge about you from God, and he is correct, then one puts a curb on it. I havent dated a woman since then! I do miss their companionship though. I actually miss being married.

The way that I understand this all, Nothing happens to us without Jesus's allowing it to happen. The Lord let's us be sifted and it is a test for us, and if we react correctly then He is able to turn any situation into a blessing, and He will, for those who love God...and if we fail and in the test or temptation then it will bring us consequences, and it can happen fast! Ask me how I know:neutral:oops2

Yep. I learned that the hard way. Right after my divorce I was suddenly free again after 26 years...and I sort of went nuts for a short while. I've never told this one before but at one point ( 2 times actually) the Lord sent me a message through a total stranger who I had never met or even spoken to before and starts warning me to stop doing this and that sins or things will not go well for me...and everything he said was right on the money. It scared the crap out of me! So I When a stranger from another state calls you up with words of knowledge about you from God, and he is correct, then one puts a curb on it. I havent dated a woman since then! I do miss their companionship though. I actually miss being married.

The way that I understand this all, Nothing happens to us without Jesus's allowing it to happen. The Lord let's us be sifted and it is a test for us, and if we react correctly then He is able to turn any situation into a blessing, and He will, for those who love God...and if we fail and in the test or temptation then it will bring us consequences, and it can happen fast! Ask me how I know:neutral:oops2

I remember after my second divorce how messed up I was in my mind and truly never wanted to marry again, but God always has better plans for us when we hear Him speaking to us. Don't be afraid to ever get married again, but this time wait upon the Lord as He will put the right one in your path and you will call her your gift from God like I call my husband now of 21 years. There is no perfect marriage, but when you make Christ the center of it all things work out for the best.

Maybe I am not 100% sure what you are asking, but I believe God still does still discipline people if they blatantly ignore what his will is. I can tell you what happens when God says, "Stand still, trust me in this storm. I need you here," and your run away to a different city. Those consequences were not pleasant...Jonah is the Biblical example of this.

Maybe I am not 100% sure what you are asking, but I believe God still does still discipline people if they blatantly ignore what his will is. I can tell you what happens when God says, "Stand still, trust me in this storm. I need you here," and your run away to a different city. Those consequences were not pleasant...Jonah is the Biblical example of this.

All I meant is that when you're an adult you don't really have the same consequences or punishments as you did when you were a child to my knowledge.

All I meant is that when you're an adult you don't really have the same consequences or punishments as you did when you were a child to my knowledge.

Are you meaning like when we are adults on our own we aren't receiving consequences under a parent or guardian? That is true that I no longer get time outs or other cleverly creative punishments from my parents.

It is also true that if my husband decided one day to quit his job or not go because he didn't want to that bills would not get paid and utilities would get shut off. Consequence. Collections would start coming after us in a couple months if debts could not be paid. Consequence. We would have a hard time affording to eat. Consequence.

In my life I notice evident consequences that lie beyond my choices. For example, if I choose not to go to bed at a reasonable hour that it will be difficult to do my best for my family the next day, which I see as a consequence. If I don't have meals prepared we face the consequence that we will need to grab unhealthy food to go that isn't the best use of our money at this time. If I don't get the laundry finished that not everyone has the clothes they would like to wear. I think you get the picture here. Adult consequences are not fun. I miss being a kid lol.

Are you meaning like when we are adults on our own we aren't receiving consequences under a parent or guardian? That is true that I no longer get time outs or other cleverly creative punishments from my parents.

It is also true that if my husband decided one day to quit his job or not go because he didn't want to that bills would not get paid and utilities would get shut off. Consequence. Collections would start coming after us in a couple months if debts could not be paid. Consequence. We would have a hard time affording to eat. Consequence.

In my life I notice evident consequences that lie beyond my choices. For example, if I choose not to go to bed at a reasonable hour that it will be difficult to do my best for my family the next day, which I see as a consequence. If I don't have meals prepared we face the consequence that we will need to grab unhealthy food to go that isn't the best use of our money at this time. If I don't get the laundry finished that not everyone has the clothes they would like to wear. I think you get the picture here. Adult consequences are not fun. I miss being a kid lol.
Looking back ,yup I had it made

Back