Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Do We Need to Keep the Sabbath (The LORD's Day) Holy?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

change

I believe we should, do you?

Please give your answers in no more than 3 small paragraphs. Please give your understanding of scriptures quoted.

May the creator continue to add true meaning to your search of the scripyures.

change said:

Please give your answers in no more than 3 small paragraphs. Please give your understanding of scriptures quoted.

Absolutely.

change said:

I don't believe the Sabbath is the Lord's Day.
The Sabbath was for the Children of Israel.

Exodus 31:12-14 said:
And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it is a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that ye may know that I am the LORD that doth sanctify you. Ye shall keep the sabbath therefore; for it is holy unto you: every one that defileth it shall surely be put to death: for whosoever doeth any work therein, that soul shall be cut off from among his people.

God's laws are for anyone that CHOOSES to serve Him. We are the servants, while He is the master. We must serve God the way HE tells us. We cannot pick and choose the way to serve God.

Now let's look at just a few verses concerning God's laws and who they applied to;

Exod.12
[49] One law shall be to him that is homeborn, and unto the stranger that sojourneth among you.

Num.15
[15] One ordinance shall be both for you of the congregation, and also for the stranger that sojourneth with you, an ordinance for ever in your generations: as ye are, so shall the stranger be before the LORD.
[16] One law and one manner shall be for you, and for the stranger that sojourneth with you.

Isa.56
[1] Thus saith the LORD, Keep ye judgment, and do justice: for my salvation is near to come, and my righteousness to be revealed.
[2] Blessed is the man that doeth this, and the son of man that layeth hold on it; that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and keepeth his hand from doing any evil.
[3] Neither let the son of the stranger, that hath joined himself to the LORD, speak, saying, The LORD hath utterly separated me from his people: neither let the eunuch say, Behold, I am a dry tree.
[4] For thus saith the LORD unto the eunuchs that keep my sabbaths, and choose the things that please me, and take hold of my covenant;
[5] Even unto them will I give in mine house and within my walls a place and a name better than of sons and of daughters: I will give them an everlasting name, that shall not be cut off.
[6] Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the LORD, to serve him, and to love the name of the LORD, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant;
[7] Even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people.

God's sabbath is for the nation of Israel AND the stranger! God's sabbath is for anyone....'that hath joined himself to the Lord..."

We are not under the Old Covenant, that was for the Jews.
John 1:17 said:
For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

We have a new and better Covenant.
Heb. 8:6-10 said:
But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises. For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second. For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah: Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord. For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

The better way is liberty for all.
Romans 14:5-6 said:
One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.
Romans 14:13 said:
Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.
Romans 14:22 said:
Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.

To answer the question of the OP, the answer is no, we do not "need" to keep the Sabbath .

The sabbath was made for the man, not man for the sabbath.

We should see every day as the same. Another day to worship God , with all of your heart, soul, mind and strength.

Galatians 2:21 - "I do not frustrate the grace of God ; for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain"

Eccl12and13 said:
God's laws are for anyone that CHOOSES to serve Him. We are the servants, while He is the master. We must serve God the way HE tells us. We cannot pick and choose the way to serve God.
If by "God's laws", you are referring to the Law of Moses, then I disagree. The Bible is quite clear on this - the Law of Moses was for Jews only (as well as those non-Jews who were integrated into their society. In any event, the Law of Moses was abolished at the cross.

So it now applies to no one.

glorydaz said:
change said:

And you do not consider yourself a child of Israel?

glorydaz said:
So we should just lie, kill, steal, covet, commit adultery, commit idolatry, take God's name in vain ect.... or is it just the fourth commandment we should ignore?

watchman F said:
glorydaz said:
So we should just lie, kill, steal, covet, commit adultery, commit idolatry, take God's name in vain ect.... or is it just the fourth commandment we should ignore?

Haven't you heard.. :crazy .Jesus gave us over 150 commandments, and his standard for us is much higher. Now you not only can't kill, but you can't hate. ;)

watchman F said:
glorydaz said:
change said:

And you do not consider yourself a child of Israel?

No, but I am the Israel of God.

Eccl12and13 said:
God's sabbath is for the nation of Israel AND the stranger! God's sabbath is for anyone....'that hath joined himself to the Lord..."
I doubt it. The Law of Moses only ever applied to the Jew and the stranger who was integrated into their community - it was never intended to be applied to the wider world. This is crystal clear from this text that simply cannot be reconciled with the view that the Law of Moses applied outside the Jewish community:

" 'You must therefore make a distinction between clean and unclean animals and between unclean and clean birds. Do not defile yourselves by any animal or bird or anything that moves along the ground—those which I have set apart as unclean for you. 26 You are to be holy to me because I, the LORD, am holy, and I have set you apart from the nations to be my own.

In any event, the Law of Moses was abolished / retired at the cross anyway.

watchman F said:
Where, in the Bible or elsewhere, is there any support for the assertion that the absence of a law against murder leads to the conclusion that murder is acceptable?

You appear to be assuming that law is the only informing source for our actions. Please justify that assumption. This will be a difficult task since Paul clearly argues that the Spirit replaces "law".

Drew said:
watchman F said:
Where, in the Bible or elsewhere, is there any support for the assertion that the absence of a law against murder leads to the conclusion that murder is acceptable?

You appear to be assuming that law is the only informing source for our actions. Please justify that assumption. This will be a difficult task since Paul clearly argues that the Spirit replaces "law".
The fact is no one would argue against keeping the other 9 of the 10 commandment. Why is that some do not want to remember the Sabbath?

watchman F said:
Drew said:
[quote="watchman F":lbjzpafx]So we should just lie, kill, steal, covet, commit adultery, commit idolatry, take God's name in vain ect.... or is it just the fourth commandment we should ignore?

The fact is no one would argue against keeping the other 9 of the 10 commandment. Why is that some do not want to remember the Sabbath?[/quote:lbjzpafx]

If you want to keep the Sabbath you are putting yourself under some stringent rules. You can't travel, you can't cook, etc. If you break even one little part you can be put to death. ;) That's the trouble with the law.

watchman F said:
The fact is no one would argue against keeping the other 9 of the 10 commandment. Why is that some do not want to remember the Sabbath?
You are not answering my question. People can choose to not commit murder or adultery through some other means than by obeying a prescriptive code.

And this is precisely the function of the Spirit. It is simply not true that "law" or "commandments" are the only means to regulate human behaviour.

This is a gray area for me...
But here's how I see it, from the beginning of creation God sanctified the seventh day and made it holy.
Genesis 2:3. This blessing of the seventh day is something that has always been a day that was set apart by God and made special by Him since the beginning regardless of it appearing in the law of Moses.

If I'm not mistaken Hebrews 4 seems to indicate that the sabbath day points to the rest that we have in Jesus Christ, that we cease from our works of the law. If we obey the sabbath by resting on it this seems to indicate symbolically that we are entering the rest Christ established for us. I don't see a problem with obeying this law.

Now if the law pointed to something like the Passover which required animal sacrifice and was fulfilled by Jesus Christ being our true sacrifice then I don't think this is something that we need to obey anymore.

Those who teach commandment breaking say that the fault with the Old Covenant rested with the Ten Commandments, and that under the New Covenant that fault--the commandments--has been done away. Ask yourself this question: When the Old Covenant was put in force and Israel broke the Second Commandment by worshiping false gods, whose fault was it?
Was it Yahweh's fault for saying, "Don't worship any idols?" Or was it Israel's fault for turning to paganism?

Was the problem with the Heavenly Father or with carnal Israel?
Obviously it was Israel's fault. Yahweh said, "And I gave them my statutes, and showed them my judgments, which if a man do, he shall even live in them. Moreover also I gave them my Sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am Yahweh that sanctifies them. But the house of Israel rebelled against me in the wilderness: they walked not in my statutes, and they despised my judgments, which if a man do, he shall even live in them; and my Sabbaths they greatly polluted: then I said, I would pour out my fury upon them in the wilderness, to consume them," Ezekiel 20: 11-13.

Yahweh didn't think it was His fault. The problem with the Old Covenant was not the Heavenly Father and His perfect law. "The law of Yahweh is perfect, converting the soul," Psalm 19:7.
After Israel began breaking the Old Covenant, Yahweh gave them a system of mandatory sacrifices to remind them of their continuing sins. Jeremiah 7:22 explains this:

"For I spoke not unto your fathers, nor commanded them in the day that I brought them out of the land of Egypt, concerning burnt offerings or sacrifices; but this thing commanded I them, saying, 'Obey My voice, and I will be your Elohim, and you shall be My people: and walk in all the ways that I have commanded you, that it may be well with you.'"
Paul spoke about this added law of sin sacrifices when he said, "Wherefore then serves the law? It was added because of transgressions till the seed should come to whom the promise was made," Galatians 3:19.

What law was added because of transgressions? Not the Ten Commandments. The sacrificial law was added because of Israel's sins, but only until the coming of the eternal sacrifice, Yahshua the Messiah.
With the death of Yahshua the Messiah, the sacrificial laws ended for us today. Did the Messiah also do away with the Ten Commandments?
Why would Yahshua take away the commandments His beloved Father had given? Had the Father made a mistake?

Because sin is the transgression of the law (1 John 3:4), if the Ten Commandments had ended, how could we even sin today? Why would the Messiah die for our transgressions when there would be no law to transgress?
Since the law was perfect and the people imperfect, why not change the people?

If there is no law there is no sin. The Holy Spirit does not replace the law; the Holy Spirit enables us to keep the law.

Drew said:
watchman F said:
You are not answering my question. People can choose to not commit murder or adultery through some other means than by obeying a prescriptive code.

And this is precisely the function of the Spirit. It is simply not true that "law" or "commandments" are the only means to regulate human behaviour.
You are not answering my question why is ok to break the 4th commandment, but sin to break any of the other 9?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back