Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Do we receive the Holy Ghost upon baptism?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
D

Dave Slayer

Do we receive the Holy Ghost upon baptism? Is this video evidence of the baptism of the Holy Ghost?

[youtube:kluj5qtq]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MiZ2OLlo0g[/youtube:kluj5qtq]

Some do, some do not.

Jesus did, but the disciples were told to go and wait for the Holy Spirit.

Act 1:5 for John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized in the Holy Spirit not many days hence.

At this stage they were all already baptized with water, but waited in Jerusalem and then it happened;

Act 2:1 And when the day of Pentecost was now come, they were all together in one place.
Act 2:2 And suddenly there came from heaven a sound as of the rushing of a mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
Act 2:3 And there appeared unto them tongues parting asunder, like as of fire; and it sat upon each one of them.
Act 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Of course the opposite is also true. Some are baptized in the Holy Spirit before they are baptized in water.

Act 10:45 And they of the circumcision that believed were amazed, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Spirit.
Act 10:46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
Act 10:47 Can any man forbid the water, that these should not be baptized, who have received the Holy Spirit as well as we?
(clearly these believers were not baptized in water yet, but were filled with the Holy Spirit )

C

Could you please comment on the video? Thanks and God Bless!

By the way, the verses of you provided of Acts 2 have to do with the day of Pentecost. That day has been over for over 2,000 years. :yes

Dave Slayer said:
Could you please comment on the video? Thanks and God Bless!

By the way, the verses of you provided of Acts 2 have to do with the day of Pentecost. That day has been over for over 2,000 years. :yes

I have no case with the video :)

Jesus was crucified 2000 years ago as well Dave and you personally still adhere to that crucifixion, so do not come with this argument to me.

Baptism is not a part of salvation, Only an outward sign of our inward decision, so I would say we receive the Holy Spirit when we first believe.

The jailer was told, believe on the Lord Jesus CHrist, and thou shalt be saved.....when we are saved, we are sealed. :tongue I believe.

Aurora said:
Baptism is not a part of salvation, Only an outward sign of our inward decision, so I would say we receive the Holy Spirit when we first believe.

The jailer was told, believe on the Lord Jesus CHrist, and thou shalt be saved.....when we are saved, we are sealed. :tongue I believe.

I agree. It is not the water that saves us. If some believe that water baptism is what saves, then baptism holds no meaning, and all they are doing is getting wet.

Aurora said:

I Agree Aurora.

Dave Slayer said:
I agree. It is not the water that saves us. If some believe that water baptism is what saves, then baptism holds no meaning, and all they are doing is getting wet.
I agree with you also.
Being baptized with water symbolizes cleansed, which is a sacrament. Now, when a person has Christ, the new birth, he is baptized with the Holy Spirit and fire. By this, we will be cleansed from our sins by repentance with all the degree of the Holy Spirit. The water is external and superficial, but the inward (Holy Spirit and fire) is universal and perfect. Those who belong to Christ are purified by fire, Christ working in us by the power of fire to consume sin and kindle the love for God in our hearts. Mal 3:2-3 "But who can endure the day of His coming? And who can stand when He appears? For He is like a refiner's fire and like fullers' soap.
3"He will sit as a smelter and purifier of silver, and He will purify the sons of Levi and refine them like gold and silver, so that they may present to the LORD offerings in righteousness.

Might I add, speaking in tongues is not a sign one is born again.

Cornelius said:
Some do, some do not.
Are you saying when Jesus baptizes someone with the Holy Spirit, they don't receive the Holy Spirit?
Was His attempt a failure?

Elf said:
Cornelius said:
Some do, some do not.
Are you saying when Jesus baptizes someone with the Holy Spirit, they don't receive the Holy Spirit?

Are you saying that we receive the Holy Spirit upon salvation?

Why then did these Christians in Samaria not receive the Holy Spirit when they were saved?

Act 8:14 Now when the apostles that were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:
Act 8:15 who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Spirit:
Act 8:16 for as yet it was fallen upon none of them: only they had been baptized into the name of the Lord Jesus.
Act 8:17 Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.

Cornelius said:
Elf said:
Cornelius said:
Some do, some do not.

Are you saying that we receive the Holy Spirit upon salvation?

Why then did these Christians in Samaria not receive the Holy Spirit when they were saved?

Act 8:14 Now when the apostles that were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John:
Act 8:15 who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Spirit:
Act 8:16 for as yet it was fallen upon none of them: only they had been baptized into the name of the Lord Jesus.
Act 8:17 Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.
Calvin gives a good explanation. http://www.ccel.org/ccel/calvin/calcom36.xv.iii.html
Quite good actually.

Being Saved
being Baptized
and
receiving the Holy Ghost are all three separate.

Being saved is personal and in your heart.
Baptism is a public act, a declaration, symbolism.
Receiving the holy spirit is different. Jesus said he would send us his spirit in his place while he went into heaven to prepare a place for us.

You may be saved and never baptized nor receive the holy spirit but still have God grace and go to heaven.

Dave Slayer said:
Do we receive the Holy Ghost upon baptism? Is this video evidence of the baptism of the Holy Ghost?

[youtube:3oi2kre2]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MiZ2OLlo0g[/youtube:3oi2kre2]

Dude you gotta be kidding,,,,you think that is the holy spirit?????

Hmm i have heard reports of churches where the "tongue" They speak is a made up language but I have also seen in person where people speak ACTUAL other languages not taught to them.

The video looks like she is Spanish anyway...But don't let one person misrepresent everything for you.

NIGHTMARE said:
Dude you gotta be kidding,,,,you think that is the holy spirit?????
its the oddest thing.
Ive taken enough foreign language classes to be able to even listen to languages I have never studied and be able to pick up on structure in just about any language Ive heard...but for some reason what these folks call 'tongues' never seem to have any rhyme or reason to them...just blabbering most of the time and if there is any 'structure' its usually a repetition of the same "phrases" over and over.

I had a pastor in the late 90s speak in 'tongues', then conveniently he translated for himself (typical for this type).
Well, it was really weird because he went on in tongues for 5 minutes or so and it wasnt hard to hear the repetition of certain phrases over and over in the 'tongues'. But in his translation there was no repetition at all...not once.

If a person speaking in tongues keeps saying "erga frappa goo' over and over youd THINK that when translated if it meant "wheres my sandwich" that the translation would repeat that a few times ;)

I guess the masses dont pay much attention so they are oooh'ed and aaah'ed at just about anything.

ChevyRodeo said:
You may be saved and never baptized nor receive the holy spirit but still have God grace and go to heaven.
While I do disagree with your conclusions, I do appreciate your generosity concerning salvation. Far too many charismatics like to play this game of 'speak in tongues or burn in hell' nonsense. Its nice to find some that arent like that :)

Aurora said:

Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a clear conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ, 22 who has gone into heaven and is at the right hand of God, with angels, authorities, and powers subject to him. (1Peter (RSV) 3)

Looks like Peter disagrees with you. Water Baptism is a part of salvation. :yes

Benoni said:
The thief on the cross next to Jesus was not Baptized and Jesus told today you shall be in paradise.

I didn't say it was not possible to be saved without baptism, only that water baptism saves. I agree with Peter.

The thief on the cross was an extreme example, not the norm. Protestantism errs in taking specific examples (like a man presumably hours or minutes from certain death) and attempting to make them examples that cover EVERYONE in every situation.

It's obvious that Peter is equating water baptism with salvation, do you think he meant what he wrote?

Jesus blood saves not the ritual of baptism; baptism is symbolic. The power is in the blood; you can can dismiss the thief all you want to; its scritural and the thief was saved.

dadof10 said:
Benoni said:
The thief on the cross next to Jesus was not Baptized and Jesus told today you shall be in paradise.

I didn't say it was not possible to be saved without baptism, only that water baptism saves. I agree with Peter.

The thief on the cross was an extreme example, not the norm. Protestantism errs in taking specific examples (like a man presumably hours or minutes from certain death) and attempting to make them examples that cover EVERYONE in every situation.

It's obvious that Peter is equating water baptism with salvation, do you think he meant what he wrote?

Benoni said:
Jesus blood saves not the ritual of baptism; baptism is symbolic. The power is in the blood; you can can dismiss the thief all you want to; its scritural and the thief was saved.

I'm not "dismissing" the thief, I'm simply putting him in his proper place. What he did to attain salvation is not common or ordinary, unless one is on his deathbed.

Yes, the Jesus sacrifice on the cross is what saves, it's the application of the merits that we disagree about. These merits are given at baptism. How else do you interpret 1Pt.3? If you don't believe water baptism actually saves in a real way, you must at least acknowledge that it effects salvation in SOME way. That's what Scripture says.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back