Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Does anything in the Bible state that anyone who lived prior to Christ's coming was saved?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

jmt356

Does anything in the Bible state that anyone who lived prior to Christ's coming was saved? If so, where in the Bible does it state this?

Check out 2 Kings, chapter 2. This is the story of how Elijah the prophet was taken or ascended into heaven.

Does anything in the Bible state that anyone who lived prior to Christ's coming was saved? If so, where in the Bible does it state this?
Jesus died for the sins of the whole world --- past sins, present sins and future sins.
1 John 2:2
2and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world.

We know this because God knew, in His foreknowledge, that Adam would sin and so God made a provision to save mankind -
or at least, those that wanted to be saved and spend eternity with him.

You can also read in Romans 1:19-20 that God has always made Himself be known to man through His creations.
19because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them.
20For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse.

It even states that man is without excuse in reference to his salvation because God has always, from the creation of the world, made Himself be known.

The last comment I could make is that the O.T. can be referred to.
Was no one saved in the O.T.?

In the Transfiguration
Matthew 17:1-3 Jesus takes Peter, John and James on a hill and they see Moses and Elijah.
17 After six days Jesus took with him Peter, James and John the brother of James, and led them up a high mountain by themselves.
2 There he was transfigured before them. His face shone like the sun, and his clothes became as white as the light.
3 Just then there appeared before them Moses and Elijah, talking with Jesus.

Also, the book of Hebrews lists many saved persons from the O.T.
(chapter 11)

Persons were saved before the appearance of Jesus....
but it was still through His sacrifice that it was possible.

Faith is always the saving grace.

Hebrews 11:1-2 Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. This is what the ancients were commended for.

It goes on to talk about all the people you had this kind of faith.........

Mark 12:25 For when they rise from the dead, they do not marry nor are they given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven. 26 But concerning the dead rising, have you not read about the burning bush in the Book of Moses, how God told him, ‘I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’? 27He is not the God of the dead, but of the living. You are badly mistaken!
I suppose God could be a God of those living in hell, but verse 25 compares them to angels in HEAVEN, not hell so seems if they are living in heaven they would be saved (not just visiting :lol )

The transfiguration has Moses and Elijah who are alive and lived prior to Christ. Hard to imagine they were not saved.

Please define what you mean by Christ’s coming.

Here is where Abraham received the Gospel from the Lord Jesus Himself, and obeyed, and was justified by faith.

Now the LORD had said to Abram:
“Get out of your country,
From your family
And from your father’s house,
To a land that I will show you.
I will make you a great nation;
I will bless you
And make your name great;
And you shall be a blessing.
I will bless those who bless you,
And I will curse him who curses you;
And in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.”
So Abram departed as the LORD had spoken to him,
Genesis 12:1-4

And the Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel to Abraham beforehand, saying, “In you all the nations shall be blessed.”
Galatians 3:8

JLB

Hebrews 9:15, "And for this reason He is the Mediator of the new covenant, by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions under the first covenant, that those who are called may receive the promise of the eternal inheritance"

If you are looking for a clear simple statement then the answer is No, the Bible does not say in clear simple terms whether anyone who lived before Jesus's death and resurrection was or is saved.

However Jesus talked about the God of Abraham, Issac etc being he God of the living, saying that they were alive with God in heaven.
Hebrews 11 lists many old testament saints who are hero's of faith, the implication being that they didn't just live by faith but that there faith earned a reward of heaven.

God is faithful and just, he is also outside time, so it is possible for him to apply Jesus's sacrifice to those who lived before it happened.

how can you say this, when the very verses that you quote from the Bible does tell us very clearly!

I haven't quoted any verses.

That there are no verses that say clearly that the of saints will be in heaven, it has to be inferred from a number of passages.

It's the same in the OT as it is in the NT that God's salvation is by faith in God and His Son Christ Jesus.

Abraham believed God and his faith was counted as righteousness, Genesis 15:6, so are all today who believe in Christ Jesus for by grace are you saved through faith being justified apart from the law.

If you belong to Christ then you are Abraham's seed and heirs according to the promise, Galatians 3:29.

Hebrews 9:15, "And for this reason He is the Mediator of the new covenant, by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions under the first covenant, that those who are called may receive the promise of the eternal inheritance"

English translation: "For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant." NET 2.1

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back