Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Does God have a name?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
mdo757 said:
Free said:
mdo757 said:
During the Babylonian captivity the Hebrew language spoken by the Jews was replaced by the

Aramaic language of their Babylonian captors. Aramaic was closely related to Hebrew and,

while sharing many vocabulary words in common, contained some words that sounded the same

or similar but had other meanings. In Aramaic, the Hebrew word for “blaspheme†used in

Leviticus 24:16, “Anyone who blasphemes the name of YHWH must be put to death†began to be

interpreted as “pronounce†rather than “blasphemeâ€. When the Jews began speaking Aramaic,

this verse was (mis)understood to mean, “Anyone who pronounces the name of YHWH must be put

to death.†Since then, observant Jews have maintained the custom of not pronouncing the

name, but use Adonai (“my Lordâ€) instead.
This also lead to some believing that God's name

is not pronouncable.
Some Biblical theophoric names end in ia(h) or yah as shortened forms of YHWH: that points

to the vowels being "a".
Not exactly. No one thinks that because Adonai is used that the pronunciation is of YHWH is lost; the pronunciation is lost precisely because the name wasn't supposed to be pronounced and Adonai was used.
Then how are the Jews able to pronounce it every year at the synogoge?
Which is it: Do they not pronounce it or do they?

Free said:
Which is it: Do they not pronounce it or do they?
Pronouncing the Name of God
Nothing in the Bible prohibits a person from pronouncing the Name of God. It is evident

from scripture that God's Name was pronounced routinely. Many common Hebrew names contain

"Yah" and "ia(h)" parts of God's Name. For an example the name Jeremiah ends in "ah." The

Name Yahwah was pronounced as part of daily services in the Temple.

There is no prohibition against pronouncing The Name in ancient times. As a matter of fact,

the Mishnah recommends using God's Name as a routine greeting to a fellow Jew. Berakhot

9:5. However, in the time of the Talmud, it was the custom to use substitute Names for God.

Some rabbis asserted that a person who pronounces YHWH according to its letters (instead of

using a substitute) has no place in the World to Come, and should be put to death. Instead

of pronouncing the four letter Name.

The prohibition on pronunciation applied only to the four letter Name YHWH, Jews

customarily do not pronounce any of God's many Name titles except in prayer or study.
After killing Hebrew Christians, the Jews would take the New testament scripture written in

Hebrew, and carefully cut the name of God out. Then they would place the divine name in a

safe place to keep. Following that, they then would burn the remainder of the scrolls in a

fire. Rabbi Yose who lived during the second century AD states that, "One cuts out the

reference to the Divine Name which are in them [the Christian writings] and stores them

away, and the rest burns." One of his characteristic sayings is, "He who proclaimed the

coming of the Messiah, and he who hated scholars and their disciples; and that false

prophet and those slanderers, will have no part in the future world." According to Bacher

this was directed against the Hebrew Christians. And so it is an established fact then,

that the disciples of Christ did in fact write the Holy Name of God into the New Testament.

mdo757 said:
The prohibition on pronunciation applied only to the four letter Name YHWH
That is what I have been saying and you have been saying I'm wrong...I'm done here.

Free said:
mdo757 said:
The prohibition on pronunciation applied only to the four letter Name YHWH
That is what I have been saying and you have been saying I'm wrong...I'm done here.
That rule dose not apply to the priest who have to use it in the synogouge.It seems to me that you said no one knows how to pronounce it.

I am uncomfortable calling God by name. I called my dad “Dad,†not Elbert. And so I call the Lord “Father,†“Jesus,†and “Lord.†Occasionally I call him “God,†though I don’t really feel comfortable calling him that either. I think I read the Jews don’t use his name. Yes, I believe there is a name for the Lord in the Old Testament, and I am familiar with two translations, or pronunciations, of this name.

mdo757 said:
Free said:
mdo757 said:
During the Babylonian captivity the Hebrew language spoken by the Jews was replaced by the

Aramaic language of their Babylonian captors. Aramaic was closely related to Hebrew and,

while sharing many vocabulary words in common, contained some words that sounded the same

or similar but had other meanings. In Aramaic, the Hebrew word for “blaspheme†used in

Leviticus 24:16, “Anyone who blasphemes the name of YHWH must be put to death†began to be

interpreted as “pronounce†rather than “blasphemeâ€. When the Jews began speaking Aramaic,

this verse was (mis)understood to mean, “Anyone who pronounces the name of YHWH must be put

to death.†Since then, observant Jews have maintained the custom of not pronouncing the

name, but use Adonai (“my Lordâ€) instead.This also lead to some believing that God's name

is not pronouncable.
Some Biblical theophoric names end in ia(h) or yah as shortened forms of YHWH: that points

to the vowels being "a".
Not exactly. No one thinks that because Adonai is used that the pronunciation is of YHWH is lost; the pronunciation is lost precisely because the name wasn't supposed to be pronounced and Adonai was used.
Then how are the Jews able to pronounce it every year at the synogoge?
they dont. hebrew has no written vowels, only in pronunicaition is the vowels used. the tetragrammation pronunciation is lost.

LaCrum said:
How about "Father"?
There is nothing wrong with useing the term of endearment "Father." Yahshua even suggested it. My point is that God does have a person name, and scripture even says that we will know it, as given by God. Again I say God has many name titles, but He only has one personal name that He has made known to us; and that name is Yahwah. The name Yahwah means "Life Began." Yahshua means "Life Savior." Exodus 23:21
Pay attention to him and listen to what he says. Do not rebel against him; he will not forgive your rebellion, since my name is in him.

mdo757 said:
Do not rebel against him; he will not forgive your rebellion, since my name is in him.[/size]
Yes he will, what are you talking about :gah

kenan said:
mdo757 said:
Do not rebel against him; he will not forgive your rebellion, since my name is in him.[/size]
If you are AntiChrist and rebel against him, then why would he forgive you? This is assuming you do not repent.

Last edited by a moderator:
mdo757 said:
kenan said:
mdo757 said:
If you are AntiChrist and rebel against him, then why would he forgive you? This is assuming you do not repent.
Of course. I guess I just read it differently to how you intended it.

For me, the most important passage of scripture on this issue is Exodus 6:6, 7 “Therefore, say to the Israelites: ‘I am the Yahuah, and I will bring you out from under the yoke of the Egyptians. I will free you from being slaves to them, and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and with mighty acts of judgment. I will take you as my own people, and I will be your God. Then you will know that I am Yahuah your God, who brought you out from under the yoke of the Egyptians."

So, God's redemptive character and purposes are tied together with His Name. To call on God's sacred name is to call out His redemptive heart!

I like to use God the Father, God of Spirit, Yahshuah, but in the end it's important to know that God is a spirit. John 4:24 - The only way to God is in Jesus Christ through the Salvation of God's Grace. Romans 10:9 - God manifested himself into Flesh, Jesus! 1 Timothy 3:16

I pray this revelation over us. God's love is never forced..
A picture of God's Love & Salvation: Picture a huge field, a meadow perhaps. There are two people walking towards each other at the same speed. The first person is the spirit of God/God's love&grace, the other person is you. God is drawing you in by his love and grace, but at the same time you are asking, seeking and knocking at the same speed Matthew 7:7 - God draws you in and meets you right where you are at the same exact time, right in the middle of the field. God's Salvation.

A picture of God's Love & Salvation/Pt2 - The example of you and God walking towards each other at the same speed is the same as God sitting on the throne drawing you in with his love. He doesn't even have to get off His throne, His love will be enough to draw you in, but if you aren't asking, seeking or knocking then you are just making God work harder to love you. God's Salvation Pt2

Heaven Example: Think of Heaven as a baseball field and a game that's being played. In order to see the game you need tickets. Well, in order to get a ticket to heaven you must be born of the Holy Spirit in this lifetime to enter Holy Land. John 3:7 - Where Jesus lives now is Holy, Heaven is a Holy Place without sin. Heaven is also not of this world, the world we live on now is a fallen world corrupted with sin.

Last edited by a moderator:
The bible calls Him Yahweh, the Qur'an calls Him Allah, many 'eastern religions' refer to Him as Enlightenment. Basically mankind has assigned our Creator with many names. Are any of them right, any of them wrong? I don't think it's a big issue as when you talk to God I'm sure He knows you are addressing Him.

Hi Devil, May be you have no problem addressing you as Satan. No offence intended, just showed how awkward it is to refer you which is not your name.

There are some group who consider Satan as god.

So, yes, it is a big issue who are you referring and praying to.

Considering the sear volume of scripture dedicated to exhorting God’s people: to remember His name, to set apart His name, to revere His name, and to cry out to His sacred name for deliverance, it often seems surprising to me to discover how indifferent so many Christian’s are to this message. Added to this quantitative measure of scripture on this topic, is the force of weight so many of these passages bring to bear on this topic. God’s word is unambiguous and absolutely compelling in this matter and yet, we find astonishing over and again, obstinate objection from so much of the church. You would think the church would at least understand why we hold the conviction we do toward God’s sacred name, but instead we find vitriol and poisonous attacks from much of the church, who willfully musters accusations of heresy and betrayal of the message of the gospel against those of us who only want to glorify and revere God’s sacred name out of our love for Yah and desire to obey His Living word. To those accusing critics, he following few examples are a bit of an embarrassment. Why do we want to call God by His one true sacred name? Because He commands it!

Glory in His holy name; Let the heart of those who see Yahuah be glad. Ascribe to Yahuah the glory due His name; Bring an offering, and come before Him; Worship Yahuah in holy array. - 1Chronicles 16:10, 29

A Psalm of David. Bless Yahuah, O my soul, And all that is within me, bless His holy name. - Psalm 103:1

My holy name I will make known in the midst of My people Israel; and I will not let My holy name be profaned anymore. And the nations will know that I am Yahuah, the Holy One in Israel. Therefore thus says Yahuah GOD, “Now I will restore the fortunes of Jacob and have mercy on the whole house of Israel; and I will be jealous for My holy name. - Ezekiel 39:7, 25

“If you do not listen, and if you do not take it to heart to give honor to My name,†says Yahuah of hosts, “then I will send the curse upon you and I will curse your blessings; and indeed, I have cursed them already, because you are not taking it to heart. “Behold, I am going to rebuke your offspring, and I will spread refuse on your faces, the refuse of your feasts; and you will be taken away with it. “Then you will know that I have sent this commandment to you, that My covenant may continue with Levi,†says Yahuah of hosts. “My covenant with him was one of life and peace, and I gave them to him as an object of reverence; so he revered Me and stood in awe of My name. - Malachi 2:2-5

Then those who feared Yahuah talked with each other, and Yahuah listened and heard. A scroll of remembrance was written in His presence concerning those who feared Yahuah and honored His name. “They will be mine,†says Yahuah Almighty, “in the day when I make up my treasured possession. I will spare them, just as in compassion a man spares his son who serves him.†- Malachi 3:16–17

“This, then, is how you should pray: “‘Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name - Matthew 6:9

God's name is exactly what you refer to Him as. God is God, you see- the ruler of the universe, the creator; alpha and omega, the beginning and the end.

He is the Logic of reality. Call Him whatever one pleases, as such a being is not even subject to a specific name.

What is meant by 'blaspheming His name' is not actually His name specifically. It is His nature, being, and existence in general.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back