Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Does science prove or disprove the Bible?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
follower of Christ said:
Heneni said:
The bible says that god stretched out the heavens. Like an umbrella that opens. As he did that he stretched out time as well. That is why in the few short moments god created the expanse it aged to billions of years. It really isnt billions of years old, it just appears that way, because when god stretched space he stretched time as well and things aged with it as well and things that take millions of years to happen from our perspective happened in a few short moments as he stretched out time, and therefore all processes that depend on time was accellerated during those few moments. In other words, as he stretched the universe so he stretched time, and everything that depended on time, happened very quickly in those few moments, making the universe appear to be billions of years old.

I'm repeating myself too much! Sorry :oops

The end comes when as the bible says god will roll up the sky like a garment, in the same way he 'rolled it out'.

As he rolls up the sky, he rolls time up as well, and in the same few moments he stretched it out to make it, he will roll it up and and time will cease to exist.

Heneni
There are some very interesting theories about Time Dilation that you seem to have already looked at based on your post. If not, you should do a search and check some of them out :)

A God who created space, light and time CERTAINLY has control over those things :)

Thanks i will have a look!

Heneni said:
The bible says that god stretched out the heavens. Like an umbrella that opens. As he did that he stretched out time as well. That is why in the few short moments god created the expanse it aged to billions of years. It really isnt billions of years old, it just appears that way, because when god stretched space he stretched time as well and things aged with it as well and things that take millions of years to happen from our perspective happened in a few short moments as he stretched out time, and therefore all processes that depend on time was accellerated during those few moments. In other words, as he stretched the universe so he stretched time, and everything that depended on time, happened very quickly in those few moments, making the universe appear to be billions of years old.

The end comes when as the bible says god will roll up the sky like a garment, in the same way he 'rolled it out'.

As he rolls up the sky, he rolls time up as well, and in the same few moments he stretched it out to make it, he will roll it up and and time will cease to exist.

Heneni

:amen

Heneni said:

Heneni

My advice to you would be to find out what God 'stretching' out the heavens means. It has nothing to do with the expansion of the universe (a fact the Hebrews could not have possibly known anyway). This, btw, is a good example of how the biblical cosmology is wrong. And I don't say that to denigrate the bible; it's just a product of a pre-scientific age. The surrounding civilizations held similarly erroneous portraits of the universe.

Finis,
Eric

wavy said:
This, btw, is a good example of how the biblical cosmology is wrong.
I don't think that that is necessarily the case. The Bible often uses poetry and allegory to describe things and we also do it everyday. We talk of "sunrise" and "sunset" even though technically there are no such things. Those are just words we use to describe events that make sense from our perspective. We don't believe that we are making statements about cosmology, so I see no reason why we can't use the same standard for Scripture.

Free said:
wavy said:
I don't think that that is necessarily the case. The Bible often uses poetry and allegory to describe things and we also do it everyday. We talk of "sunrise" and "sunset" even though technically there are no such things. Those are just words we use to describe events that make sense from our perspective. We don't believe that we are making statements about cosmology, so I see no reason why we can't use the same standard for Scripture.

Please tell me the standard you employed to classify the act of creation in question as 'poetry' or 'allegory'. There are straightforward narrative indications to the contrary, I hope you realize.

Finis,
Eric

Free said:
wavy said:
Exactly.
Where concepts are beyond mans understanding or knowledge scripture often uses simplistic allegory instead.
Man DOES understand what a 'day' and a 'night' is...and 'evening' and 'morning' are...so there is no need to use any colorful metaphor when speaking about the days of creation.
Man didnt, however, at the time Genesis was given, have some advanced knowledge of space and time (tho we seem to think we do now), so even if scripture had been detailed about it, it wouldnt have made any sense to the ancient Hebrew anyway.

wavy said:
Please tell me the standard you employed to classify the act of creation in question as 'poetry' or 'allegory'. There are straightforward narrative indications to the contrary, I hope you realize.

Finis,
Eric
Thats right, the creation account is VERY literal. That doesnt mean that metaphor cannot be used within that LITERAL account.
Its really telling when folks have to push one extreme or another. The bible cant be LITERAL, yet contain some metaphor for some reason.
Any other writing on the face of this planet and no one would be arguing about it. Buts its Gods word...and we have to have some reason to tear it down...even if our logic is pathetically lacking in good old common sense. :nono

For example...I suppose because the text says 'be fruitful' ....clearly meant metaphorically....that Gods blessing must also have been allegory... as also his having dominion over the earth and animals must have been of some mystical intent as well ?
Oh wait...'them' would be allegory too.... :nono
"And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
(Genesis 1:28 KJV)

H6509
פּר×â€
pârâh
BDB Definition:
1) to bear fruit, be fruitful, branch off
1a) (Qal) to bear fruit, be fruitful
1b) (Hiphil)
1b1) to cause to bear fruit
1b2) to make fruitful
1b3) to show fruitfulness, bear fruit
The text can be LITERAL, and STILL contain a bit of colorful language....
God is LITERALLY telling them to be 'fruitful'....and the CONTEXT DEFINES the INTENT which is to bear offspring.

animal said:
Just out of curiosity, follower, how do you know any of this?
Study...and faith that God is not a liar or as powerless as some here believe.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back