Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

"Don`t delay new nuclear plants"

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

pjt

US energy chief: don't delay new nuclear plants - Politics - More politics - msnbc.com

Considering I am in Japan near the nuclear plants that are leaking radiation, I can`t believe the Obama administration could possibly choose this time to say "don`t delay new nuclear plants". It`s unbelieveable to me. Even if he supports it, why push it right now? And why "no delay". What`s wrong with taking some time to think this over some more after seeing what is going on in Japan. This shouldn`t be a rash decision to push through quickly. Will the people have any say in this or will the government just push it through and force it on the people without careful consideration? The administration said they will take safety precautions but don`t they think Japan also took precautions in making their plants? Will they force this in people`s back yards and communities or will people get to have a say if they want it in their state or county? This is very serious. I hope for the American people this is not rashly pushed through. Please pray and ask your representatives to take time with the decision. This shouldn`t be a rush decision. Goodness, I pray for the people of this world. What sort of disasterous stuff do we create for our children.

Pray, yes, always.

But CNN headlines shouldn't stop a power station in, say, rural Utah "in case" it gets hit by a tsunami...

US energy chief: don't delay new nuclear plants - Politics - More politics - msnbc.com

Considering I am in Japan near the nuclear plants that are leaking radiation, I can`t believe the Obama administration could possibly choose this time to say "don`t delay new nuclear plants". It`s unbelieveable to me. Even if he supports it, why push it right now? And why "no delay". What`s wrong with taking some time to think this over some more after seeing what is going on in Japan. This shouldn`t be a rash decision to push through quickly. Will the people have any say in this or will the government just push it through and force it on the people without careful consideration? The administration said they will take safety precautions but don`t they think Japan also took precautions in making their plants? Will they force this in people`s back yards and communities or will people get to have a say if they want it in their state or county? This is very serious. I hope for the American people this is not rashly pushed through. Please pray and ask your representatives to take time with the decision. This shouldn`t be a rush decision. Goodness, I pray for the people of this world. What sort of disasterous stuff do we create for our children.

being sympathetic to your position. i agree and disagree, it take 25 yrs for the nuke plant to be built. a year in construction and 24 in paperwork and red tape. you laugh buts its the truth. live even closer then you two reactors. when i was kid i would often see the waste being hauled off from the plant. the old rods that are now buried on site. there is a small chance that our state may get by a tsunami.

what other alternative and practical solution is there? and yes i agree that we should check the reactors here. but this is like flying vs driving. which is more riskier? depends on what is in the news.

Pray, yes, always.

But CNN headlines shouldn't stop a power station in, say, rural Utah "in case" it gets hit by a tsunami...

There are many other kinds of mistakes and disasters than just a tsunami. I think if the people want nuclear power that should be the people`s decision, but rural residents in Utah should have a say if they want it there or not. We can`t disregard life by saying "oh, there are only a few people here so lets put it in their yard". It`s their territory and their children`s lives so they should have the final say if they want it or not. And other area that will be affected when the wind blows should also have a say.

But perhaps my biggest "complaint" is the insensitivity of this announcement from the White House. I`m not talking about insensitivity to the Japanese but to Americans. It`s really insensitive for a President to have his staff announce to the American people we need to build nuclear plants without delay, when the world is watching the explosions going on in the Japanese plant. The timing is just awful. If he supports this, he could wait until the disaster is over and the news is forgotten in perhaps a couple of months, but instead right in the middle of the crisis he announces America must hurry and make plants too. It is very bad judgement and a disregard for people`s concerns and feelings. I mean seeing what is happening in Japan, do you want one of these plants near your home and children?

Finally, I just feel there is no rush. A decision like this needs more thought. Japan has VERY limited natural resources which is why it turned to this option, but America has more natural resources so America has more options to consider. It is worth going back to the drawing board and weighing out all the pros and cons of each option. And let the people be fully informed of the pros and cons of each option. Then let the people have a say of what they want. If they want it but nobody wants it in their backyard then you have to go back to square one and come up with plan B. You can`t force people to live near these plants.

There are many other kinds of mistakes and disasters than just a tsunami. I think if the people want nuclear power that should be the people`s decision, but rural residents in Utah should have a say if they want it there or not. We can`t disregard life by saying "oh, there are only a few people here so lets put it in their yard". It`s their territory and their children`s lives so they should have the final say if they want it or not. And other area that will be affected when the wind blows should also have a say.

But perhaps my biggest "complaint" is the insensitivity of this announcement from the White House. I`m not talking about insensitivity to the Japanese but to Americans. It`s really insensitive for a President to have his staff announce to the American people we need to build nuclear plants without delay, when the world is watching the explosions going on in the Japanese plant. The timing is just awful. If he supports this, he could wait until the disaster is over and the news is forgotten in perhaps a could of months, but instead right in the middle of the crisis he announces America must hurry and make plants too. It is very bad judgement and a disregard for people`s concerns and feelings. I mean seeing what is happening in Japan, do you want one of these plants near your home and children?

Finally, I just feel there is no rush. A decision like this needs more thought. Japan has VERY limited natural resources which is why it turned to this option, but America has more natural resources so America has more options to consider. It is worth going back to the drawing board and weighing out all the pros and cons of each option. And let the people be fully informed of the pros and cons of each option. Then let the people have a say of what they want. If they want it but nobody wants it in their backyard then you have to go back to square one and come up with plan B. You can`t force people to live near these plants.

i strongly disagree. if you are worried about radioactive waste. that comes more from nuclear powered naval vessels as the cores only last 5yrs vs 20 yrs with the plants. solar power is too exspensive. and also wind power. that leaves what oil?coal and plasma arc(this works well). and also hydroelectric(not all states can do this) and also geo thermal.

being sympathetic to your position. i agree and disagree, it take 25 yrs for the nuke plant to be built. a year in construction and 24 in paperwork and red tape. you laugh buts its the truth. live even closer then you two reactors. when i was kid i would often see the waste being hauled off from the plant. the old rods that are now buried on site. there is a small chance that our state may get by a tsunami.

what other alternative and practical solution is there? and yes i agree that we should check the reactors here. but this is like flying vs driving. which is more riskier? depends on what is in the news.

Jason, I don`t have a problem if the people want it, but honestly don`t you think the timing for this announcement was atrocious? I read in America people are buying out potassium iodide because they fear the Japanese radiation will get to America. Now if American`s are in this state of fear when they live on the complete over side of the world from Japan, don`t you think the timing of this announcement was really a disregard to people`s fears and feelings. I mean I live in Japan so I can`t imagine why American`s are so afraid of radiation hitting them from the other side of the world, but if they are then this announcement was just bad timing and bad judgement. The announcement could have waited until the crisis was over. Lots of Americans have family in Japan so this crisis in Japan affects Americans in a personal way too. It`s just insensitive, but the democrats are supposed to be the kings of sensitivity.

i strongly disagree. if you are worried about radioactive waste. that comes more from nuclear powered naval vessels as the cores only last 5yrs vs 20 yrs with the plants. solar power is too exspensive. and also wind power. that leaves what oil?coal and plasma arc(this works well). and also hydroelectric(not all states can do this) and also geo thermal.

America has plenty of oil, coal and I don`t know about plasma arc. But don`t you think the people should have a voice? There are dangers with any kind of option I imagine so why not weigh the pros and cons and decide, but let the people have a voice.

Jason, I don`t have a problem if the people want it, but honestly don`t you think the timing for this announcement was atrocious? I read in America people are buying out potassium iodide because they fear the Japanese radiation will get to America. Now if American`s are in this state of fear when they live on the complete over side of the world from Japan, don`t you think the timing of this announcement was really a disregard to people`s fears and feelings. I mean I live in Japan so I can`t imagine why American`s are so afraid of radiation hitting them from the other side of the world, but if they are then this announcement was just bad timing and bad judgement. The announcement could have waited until the crisis was over. Lots of Americans have family in Japan so this crisis in Japan affects Americans in a personal way too. It`s just insensitive, but the democrats are supposed to be the kings of sensitivity.

i agree that it was insensitive, but thats odd because i live real close that plant i talke. we natives even fish off the plant side of the ocean and inlet. and yet nothing on buying ki. florida has 4 reactors total. within 80 miles of me are three in total.(hutchinson island and one other near orlando).

the wind may blow it toward the west coast, even the chernybol deal hit the u.s.

America has plenty of oil, coal and I don`t know about plasma arc. But don`t you think the people should have a voice? There are dangers with any kind of option I imagine so why not weigh the pros and cons and decide, but let the people have a voice.

we have this in florida but it cost 1 billion dollars to start.

Plasma arc waste disposal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. this is a win-win for the enviroment and power. we all must dispose of trash.

i agree that it was insensitive, but thats odd because i live real close that plant i talke. we natives even fish off the plant side of the ocean and inlet. and yet nothing on buying ki. florida has 4 reactors total. within 80 miles of me are three in total.(hutchinson island and one other near orlando).

the wind may blow it toward the west coast, even the chernybol deal hit the u.s.

It`s California, HI, and Alaska that seem to be buying the potassium iodide. Of course, things reported can easily be exaggerated, but I will say this I did try to order potassium iodide from America but it was all sold out so the report may be true. But my main issue is the timing of this announcement was just bad judgement and the way it was announced saying "don`t delay" was really bad discretion too. I just feel the Obama administration should have waited until this crisis was over before saying this.

they do, you just hear about it as its something you probably didnt know about

a protest on coal.
Environmental activists protest FPL's attempt to emit more greenhouse gases at new western plant

i though they killed this but i guess not

Scott touts alternative energy at Martin County solar plant dedication Saturday » TCPalm.com

and this one, hey my local govt buy powers from the ouc!

" + artTitle.replace("-","") + " - " + "Central Florida Future" + "

Well if there`s another good option like this, it`s good to take time and consider it.

that isnt often funded by the federal govt. most of the time its state and the county that pay for that. and that is usually through swdd taxes(solid waste district taxes or some levy assigned to property owners).
nambi gotta love that attitude

they do, you just hear about it as its something you probably didnt know about

a protest on coal.
Environmental activists protest FPL's attempt to emit more greenhouse gases at new western plant

i though they killed this but i guess not

Scott touts alternative energy at Martin County solar plant dedication Saturday » TCPalm.com

and this one, hey my local govt buy powers from the ouc!

" + artTitle.replace("-","") + " - " + "Central Florida Future" + "

Oh, I know people have their say in these formats but I mean a voice with power. When Obama starts saying without delay, it makes me think of how the health care bill was rammed through congress and senate. There was no time to read the bill and meetings were done behind closed doors and Obama set a deadline for it to be signed without representatives having the time to know what they were signing. I just don`t want to see something like that done again with nuclear power. And I certainly don`t want plants just planted in people`s back yards without them having a say. The idea of "don`t delay" seems like foolish haste to me and that will inevitably bring mistakes. I just hope time and careful thought is given after seeing this crisis. It might be worth taking the time to again look at other options, but again if this is what the people want, I have no problem with that. Just don`t ram it down the people`s throats.

that isnt often funded by the federal govt. most of the time its state and the county that pay for that. and that is usually through swdd taxes(solid waste district taxes or some levy assigned to property owners).
nambi gotta love that attitude

If it`s not funded by federal gov. then why is the fed. gov. saying we have to build without delay? This is even more of a reason the people should have a voice.

Going back a few posts... I'm confused. I thought it was the earthquakes that damaged the power plants, not the tsunami. :confused

Actually Vic, the plants automatically "Scrammed" when the quake hit. That is, they shut down within seconds (yea, really.)

Amazingly, the survived a near 9.0 quake, even tho their design limits were for something like a 7.5!!! These are well built plants, but that fact is being forgotten.

The plants need cooling, long term cooling, after a shutdown. THIS is where things went wrong. The plants were using on-site generators to run the cooling systems. When the water came, it flooded the generators. (This is where the Japanese went wrong, had they mounted the generators, say, on the ROOFS - there would be no story here.)

Anyway, the generators failed and they went on batteries to cool. THe batteries are good for something like 8 hours. Ever since that 8 hour limit was passed, it's been a crisis.

It is really a shame that things went so well, and yet, went so badly. They designed the plants for earthquakes, but did not totally consider the tsunami threat.

If it`s not funded by federal gov. then why is the fed. gov. saying we have to build without delay? This is even more of a reason the people should have a voice.

plasma arc are totally different. nuclear reactors are regualalted by and inspected by the federal govt.my boss and i have had an interesting discusion. those men who are staying to delay/stop the meltdowns are considered by him to be walking dead. lets pray for them.

also private companies, not the govt runs nuke plants. i know of no public nuclear power in the u.s.

What if yet another crisis in the Mid-East meant that gas suddenly cost four times as much as it does now? This happened in 1973, when OPEC quadrupled its prices.

If this were to happen again, people would suddenly say, Hey, we need other, cheaper forms of energy....such as nuclear, too.

(In a sense, this is all the theme of the film Condor, starring Robert Redford, from 1975. The CIA man points out that after a crisis, people will expect that something will already have been done to safeguard energy supplies. It's not just a question of reacting to CNN headlines.)

What if yet another crisis in the Mid-East meant that gas suddenly cost four times as much as it does now? This happened in 1973, when OPEC quadrupled its prices.

If this were to happen again, people would suddenly say, Hey, we need other, cheaper forms of energy....such as nuclear, too.

(In a sense, this is all the theme of the film Condor, starring Robert Redford, from 1975. The CIA man points out that after a crisis, people will expect that something will already have been done to safeguard energy supplies. It's not just a question of reacting to CNN headlines.)

gas in 2000 was 1.50 a gallon. gas in 2008 as of nov 08 was 4.50. your point?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back