Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Dressing for church services/ What we wear

Classik

How should we dress?
How should people dress for church services?

Some churches don't allow their females to wear trousers to services (and if they must then they won't serve in the choir or any other department). Most people don't allow jean materials in church.

images
images
images
images

Believe me, some dress to intimidate others. The poorly-dressed feel so inferior!

A lot of things happen in churches. Some women dress so gorgeously and elegantly. Why? They want to show they are rich and superior. They wear expensive costume.

Why some dress so gorgeously, some others dress so poorly

Some others don't concentrate, they keep searching for the latest fashion in church. (women in particular)

Some guys don't care, they wear anything to church. Some women wear short skirts and all those stuff that expose their body.

We should always wear our best (decent) to church. We are the children of a King. Look neat - be tidy.

How should we dress?
They should dress according to the type of service they are going to, just like you dress according to the type of restaurant, for example, you are going to.

Stoic, reverential services dictate formal attire. More loosely held meetings dictate less formal attire.

I have been homeless and very smelly before. I sometimes had decent clothes, like clean jeans and a shirt without holes and the blessing of a shower. Would Christ let me in to worship either way? Would Christ in His traditional garments be allowed in a modern church if He was not recognized? I have also worn a suit on at my wedding. Am I still the same christian person if I wear slacks or shorts to church? I currently dress jeans or slacks as I am a poor disabled man. I basically dress in the clothes God grants me.

We should always wear our best (decent) to church. We are the children of a King. Look neat - be tidy.

I currently dress jeans or slacks as I am a poor disabled man. I basically dress in the clothes God grants me.

Yeah! That is 'wearing your best'.

I'm not comfortable with the claims that jeans should not be worn in churches. It doesn't make sense. :shrug

Don't get too caught up in the details, simply wear the best you can. God doesn't care what you wear, any standards of dress are imposed by man. You should do your best to make those around you comfortable but what's most important is that you are there.

Any dress code much beyond basic decency is more reflective of PP, Pastors Pride, and we know PP doesnt really aid the cause.

How should we dress?

Some churches don't allow their females to wear trousers to services (and if they must then they won't serve in the choir or any other department). Most people don't allow jean materials in church.

images
images
images
images

Believe me, some dress to intimidate others. The poorly-dressed feel so inferior!

A lot of things happen in churches. Some women dress so gorgeously and elegantly. Why? They want to show they are rich and superior. They wear expensive costume.

Why some dress so gorgeously, some others dress so poorly

Some others don't concentrate, they keep searching for the latest fashion in church. (women in particular)

Some guys don't care, they wear anything to church. Some women wear short skirts and all those stuff that expose their body.

I was brought up to “dress†in church. When I joined the choir in the mid-nineties, it was hot up in the choir loft, wearing a robe, so I stopped wearing a tie and started wearing nothing but cotton clothes. I now always go to church in cotton clothes and no tie, except funerals. I don’t wear jeans or tennis shoes in church, though, even though they are my normal clothes to wear.

Everything drills down to the motive of our hearts.

A more revealing dress inspite of his/her ability to dress decently shows how adulterous his/her heart is.

This is referred in the scriptures as a stumbling block and doctrine of Balaam. If you are not sure what Balaam said: He basically said to Balak to send some girls into the camp of Israelites, so that they could do sexual sins and the holiness will go away from Israelites because of their sin, which means God will go away from them, and then we can overcome and destroy them.

If anyone wearing anything indecent or more revealing in Church to make others sin inside church? Be aware that Christ Himself warned in Rev 2:14.

I guess it depends largely on geographical locations too. Spagetti strap tops and jeans are fine and acceptable in churches where I live but if I travel to a country like India and wear spagetti strap tops in church, I think folks will look down on me in church and spit at me outside church.

OK, maybe I'm exaggerating ... :bigfrown :shrug

Maybe in a country like Sweden where naked people in public are a common and acceptable sight, we should not be surprised to see the same in churches ..... :lol

How about in remote parts of Africa - women with boobs hanging out. Will they cover up in church? :eeeekkk

Sometimes when we have "Missions Festival" in church, it's pretty fun and exciting to see people coming in their various national costumes.

I wear my best casual -

Clean Pants, and a clean shirt.

That's plenty good enough.

The Assemblies of God got over their "Clothesline Holiness" hangups years ago, and in Texas, Casual is the way of life.

IN the Cowboy Churches (Baptist) that are all over our area, for both genders - Jeans, Boots, and a Cowboy hat (worn during service, and only removed for prayer) is the rule. I generally wear a baseball cap when I play there (I'm not a Cowboy hat type, generally - unless the gig is outside in the sun).

I honestly don't think God gives a hoot about what we wear to church--I mean as far as what pleases, or doesn't please him. I do think he cares that we consider others when we choose what clothing to wear.

That's what serving God is all about. It's having the interests of others before your own in everything you do, from going to the bathroom (ladies put the seat up out of consideration for us men), to how you dress and how it may affect someone else. So, just like the restaurant example I gave, you dress for church according to what will be appropriate to the circumstance and not offensive in the eyes of those that will be there also.

Practically speaking, the entire Christian life is filtered through this one command:

"9...'Love your neighbor as yourself.' 10 Love does no harm to its neighbor." (Romans 13:9-10 NIV1984)

12 So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.
13 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it." (Matthew 7:12-13 NIV1984)

Back