Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Drinking and reading

Ever done a bible study or had Christian discussions while sippin' a brewski or having a glass of wine?

Of course. With brethren of like mind, and without the "Fundy hangups" about alcohol.

I'll wager that Jesus and the boys had wine in the evenings and tossed around LOTS of SERIOUS teaching.

There NOTHING in the Word that teaches that Alcoholic beverages are "Intrinsically evil", but there's also plenty of advice on who should, and who SHOULDN'T imbibe, and about times when drinking is NOT to be done.

And then there's Romans 14.

This brings up the "Testimony issue" and makes it PLAIN that while YOU may not have a problem with dropping a "tall cold one" - you want to consider the EFFECT of that on others - watching - who may not possess YOUR freedom to do so.

Bottom line if you can DO IT IN FAITH - it's O.K. - for YOU

IF you have to ask - then for YOU it's sin. Case closed.

oi_antz said:
My relationship with God can 'tolerate' drinking while reading :) Alcohol is one of the benefits of life in the physical realm, however if it is misused it can be destructive.

I used to have alcoholism where I would binge daily after work until I fell asleep - around 12-15 stubbies. The difference when I was converted was miraculous: I was still able to drink as often as I wanted, but did not have the temptations daily and I would not drink so heavily and I didn't get drunk once. So my testimony demonstrates that when you surrender your life to God, He heals the abusive/destructive alcoholism but doesn't force abstinence on us.

My experience with God is that He grants our wishes rather than revokes our rights, so I hope you can be blessed with the same relationship I have with Him ;) He is sooo open minded and supportive. Lord, you are amazing and I Love you with every breath and thought!
Well that might be good for you, but that is not for everybody, God works different with different people. Some people has to leave it alone for good. I was a binge drinker, I would drink for months then lay off for about 3 or 4 months and then go back, plus the alcohol would tell me it was alright to do harder drugs, and I would, with all kinds of strange women, for one night stands. So as you can see I need not take the chance, because the vicious cycle will get even worse, every time you go back out. And I know from first hand experience. Peter said when you have known the doctrines of Christ and you go back out there, the latter is worst than the beginning. And to many times to count, I did that for 30 something years. And seen those around me do it too.

Lewis W said:
[quote="oi_antz":23lg8f1d]My relationship with God can 'tolerate' drinking while reading :) Alcohol is one of the benefits of life in the physical realm, however if it is misused it can be destructive.

I used to have alcoholism where I would binge daily after work until I fell asleep - around 12-15 stubbies. The difference when I was converted was miraculous: I was still able to drink as often as I wanted, but did not have the temptations daily and I would not drink so heavily and I didn't get drunk once. So my testimony demonstrates that when you surrender your life to God, He heals the abusive/destructive alcoholism but doesn't force abstinence on us.

My experience with God is that He grants our wishes rather than revokes our rights, so I hope you can be blessed with the same relationship I have with Him ;) He is sooo open minded and supportive. Lord, you are amazing and I Love you with every breath and thought!
Well that might be good for you, but that is not for everybody, God works different with different people. Some people has to leave it alone for good. I was a binge drinker, I would drink for months then lay off for about 3 or 4 months and then go back, plus the alcohol would tell me it was alright to do harder drugs, and I would, with all kinds of strange women, for one night stands. So as you can see I need not take the chance, because the vicious cycle will get even worse, every time you go back out. And I know from first hand experience. Peter said when you have known the doctrines of Christ and you go back out there, the latter is worst than the beginning. And to many times to count, I did that for 30 something years. And seen those around me do it too.[/quote:23lg8f1d]

Yes it's good for me thanks :thumb Perhaps there are people who struggle because their mind isn't a holy enough temple and their demons are tormenting them (as in the second death in Revelation 2). My relationship with God and Jesus is definitely pure, since having taken a dunk in that lake of fire ;)

Back