Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Easter Island Moai Walked

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

handy

I've always been facinated by the Easter Island Moai, those huge, enigmatic stone statues. What were they for? How did the people get them from the quarry to their platforms?

...were aliens involved? :shades

They're intriguing to say the least.

Now the oral tradition of the Rapa Nui people maintained that the Moai walked from the quarries where they were carved to the platforms (called ahu). Naturally, that was impossible...

...or was it?

I watched a program on this subject last night via Netflixs and what I saw was pretty impressive. A team of scientists made a replica of a Moai that was of average height for the over 800 statues and weighted for accuracy. They then tested the theory that, rather than being dragged along by wooden rollers, the Moai did indeed walk.

and here are the results...

[video=youtube;YpNuh-J5IgE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpNuh-J5IgE[/video]

This little experiment doesn't conclusively answer all the questions about the Moai... and the theory that the largest of the Moai could be walked the way this replica was has been challenged, but still, I find it all very fascinating.

And, applicable to some of the assumptions that are often made about biblical history. Modern scholarship tends to be skeptical and dismiss much as impossible... when really what we need to do is keep an open mind.

Good rule of thumb for oral history everywhere, but especially important when it comes to history inspired by the Holy Spirit!

[MENTION=4376]handy[/MENTION]: Interestingly, linguistically the Easter Islanders belong to the same language group as people from Madagascar: that is, speakers are spread right across the Indian Ocean and right across the Pacific to Easter Island, which belongs to Chile.

Blessings.

[MENTION=4376]handy[/MENTION]: Interestingly, linguistically the Easter Islanders belong to the same language group as people from Madagascar: that is, speakers are spread right across the Indian Ocean and right across the Pacific to Easter Island, which belongs to Chile.

Blessings.

I didn't know that! How interesting. Truly, only the Lord could possibly know how man spread across the world and how cultures and languages formed. Perhaps that is what I'll do for my "job in heaven" (discussed on a different thread)... study the history of how things moved about, if we're allowed to remember such things.

ok, that makes them kin to the fillipinos , Indonesians, Fiji and whole lot other. I often wonder whom came to the Americas first? china or now them? Chinese junks have been found off the coast of san Francisco. I don't think the world was as isolated as we were taught in school in the days of rome and the other ancients societies.

Back