Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

elect lady??

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

awaken

I am doing a study on 1,2 and 3 John and in second John the letter is addressed to the elect lady and her children.
Who is the "elect lady and her children"?

awaken said:
I am doing a study on 1,2 and 3 John and in second John the letter is addressed to the elect lady and her children.

Hi awaken

The elect lady is -------------- ;) ----------------> The body of Christ

The children are ---------------- :yes ------------> The elect members of the body of Christ

Mysteryman said:
awaken said:

Hi awaken

The children are ---------------- :yes ------------> The elect members of the body of Christ

Most commentaries agree with you. But one that I read said it was Mary, the mother of Jesus. Because it refers to her sister in verse 13...

awaken said:
Mysteryman said:
awaken said:

Hi awaken

Most commentaries agree with you. But one that I read said it was Mary, the mother of Jesus. Because it refers to her sister in verse 13...

Hi

Interesting.

However, incorrect, because neither is mentioned by name. Which means that they were guessing.

The whole of second John's epistle is an allegory. The allegory is speaking to the whole Church, God's elect.

Mysteryman said:
Interesting.

However, incorrect, because neither is mentioned by name. Which means that they were guessing.

The whole of second John's epistle is an allegory. The allegory is speaking to the whole Church, God's elect.

another question..how can the church have children when she is suppose to be a virgin?

Pregnant before the foundation of the world?

Another reason it pointed to Mary the mother of Jesus...because John was intrusted to take care of her at Jesus death.

awaken said:
Mysteryman said:
Interesting.

another question..how can the church have children when she is suppose to be a virgin?

Pregnant before the foundation of the world?

Hi awaken

So was Mary a virgin, and she gave birth to the saviour Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God.

Virgin, of course , means pure. Or another way of saying it, a woman who has not known a man.

God has chosen those in Christ from before the foundation of the world. We are sons of God, or we can say brothers and sisters IN Christ. We are God's children , by way of the promised seed, of Christ in us. Galatians 3:16

Seed of God planted into the virgin - Body of Christ - from before the foundations of the world.

The very day , you were conceived in your mothers womb, you had the seed of Christ in you.

This is why , the knowledge of the Revealed Mystery is for the obedience of faith - Romans 16:25 and 26.

When Christ was conceived in the womb of Mary, he had the same seed in him, that we also receive. This is why he is the begotten of the Father.

When Christ was born, he was the Son of God. When we were born, we also were sons of God.

Born of the same woman in Rev. 12:1 - 5 < The Revealed Mystery

Verse 5 - Herod went looking for this King of the Jews, in order that he might kill him. The wise men did not return with his whereabouts. So he went out and killed all the males two years old and under. Trying to kill the Christ child.

Rev. 12:6 - this "woman" that has fled into the wilderness - is the body of Christ.

Christ is the head of the body of Christ, but he is not the father of the members. His Father is.

This is where the story of Judah and Tamar comes into play.

As Joseph was the adoptive father of Jesus Christ. So are we sons by way of adoption by Christ - Galatians 4:5. Mirror image of each other.

Notice how Paul uses the phrase - "fullness of time was come" in Galatians 4:4. It is a birthing phrase !

Also notice how Paul uses a very similar phrase when he is speaking of us, who have Christ in us, in Galatians 4:19. The birthing is also an awakening. This is why Paul in this verse 19 uses the word "formed" in you. Just like when God forms us in our mothers womb.

This might have been a little more than you were asking for. But I thought because of its relevance,that I should explain in detail.

The body of Christ is also the queen in heaven, once we get there, after we are gathered up. "AS" was Esther in the OT , as she became queen of King Ahasuerus. Just "AS" God gave Israel a writ of divorcement, and made the body of Christ the queen of heaven instead of the nation of Israel. This is why we are now call the "Israel" of God.

Israel would not listen , or come to the calling of God in the OT. "AS" Vashti would not come to the call of King Ahasuerus.

It is "ALL" one big mirror image of itself <-- I am speaking of the whole Word of God of course. :yes

Bless

awaken said:
Mysteryman said:
awaken said:

Hi awaken

Find the catholic mary here:

The elder to the elect lady and her children, whom I love in the truth, and not only I but also all who know the truth, because of the truth that abides in us and will be with us for ever: Grace, mercy, and peace will be with us from God the Father and from Jesus Christ, the Father’s Son, in truth and love. I was overjoyed to find some of your children walking in the truth, just as we have been commanded by the Father. But now, dear lady, I ask you, not as though I were writing you a new commandment, but one we have had from the beginning, let us love one another. And this is love, that we walk according to his commandments; this is the commandment just as you have heard it from the beginning—you must walk in it. Many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh; any such person is the deceiver and the antichrist! Be on your guard, so that you do not lose what we have worked for, but may receive a full reward. Everyone who does not abide in the teaching of Christ, but goes beyond it, does not have God; whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son. Do not receive into the house or welcome anyone who comes to you and does not bring this teaching; for to welcome is to participate in the evil deeds of such a person. Although I have much to write to you, I would rather not use paper and ink; instead I hope to come to you and talk with you face to face, so that our joy may be complete. The children of your elect sister send you their greetings.

The first sentence up to the comma gives it away. Do you see the catholic mary in it? If not, why not. If yes, why yes? Kindly refrain from spin!

awaken said:
Another reason it pointed to Mary the mother of Jesus...because John was intrusted to take care of her at Jesus death.
Read it and tell me where you see the catholic mary.

The elder to the elect lady and her children, whom I love in the truth, and not only I but also all who know the truth, because of the truth that abides in us and will be with us for ever: Grace, mercy, and peace will be with us from God the Father and from Jesus Christ, the Father’s Son, in truth and love. I was overjoyed to find some of your children walking in the truth, just as we have been commanded by the Father. But now, dear lady, I ask you, not as though I were writing you a new commandment, but one we have had from the beginning, let us love one another. And this is love, that we walk according to his commandments; this is the commandment just as you have heard it from the beginning—you must walk in it. Many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh; any such person is the deceiver and the antichrist! Be on your guard, so that you do not lose what we have worked for, but may receive a full reward. Everyone who does not abide in the teaching of Christ, but goes beyond it, does not have God; whoever abides in the teaching has both the Father and the Son. Do not receive into the house or welcome anyone who comes to you and does not bring this teaching; for to welcome is to participate in the evil deeds of such a person. Although I have much to write to you, I would rather not use paper and ink; instead I hope to come to you and talk with you face to face, so that our joy may be complete. The children of your elect sister send you their greetings.

Awaken,

John was writing to a real woman who hosted a house church, who possibly allowed some false teachers in. It doesn't say who she was specifically. I think anything beyond that may put us in danger adding to the word. The Lord bless you.

?Isa 66:8 Who hath heard such a thing? who hath seen such things? Shall the earth be made to bring forth in one day? [or] shall a nation be born at once? for as soon as Zion travailed, she brought forth her children.

lovely said:
Awaken,

John was writing to a real woman who hosted a house church, who possibly allowed some false teachers in. It doesn't say who she was specifically. I think anything beyond that may put us in danger adding to the word. The Lord bless you.

I was seeing it as a real woman too. Because it mentions her children and a sister. The word Elect(chosen) is where it led me to Mary the mother of Jesus.

John was intrusted to care for her at the cross (John 19)
Mary had a sister that was at the cross with her. (her sister is mentioned in 13)
Also, it said she heard from the beginning..and I take it that she was with them from the beginning.

It could have been any woman...but again the chosen or elect is what through me off.
MM mentioned that is was allagory to the church. But again it mentions her sisters children in verse 13. So I would like to know who the churches sister is if it is allagory to the church.

Still studing...but I came across this and threw it out there to see if someone else had studied it out to shed some light on it.

GodspromisesRyes said:
?Isa 66:8 Who hath heard such a thing? who hath seen such things? Shall the earth be made to bring forth in one day? [or] shall a nation be born at once? for as soon as Zion travailed, she brought forth her children.

So who are you saying the elect woman is? Zion? and who are her children?

Ahuli said:
The first sentence up to the comma gives it away. Do you see the catholic mary in it? If not, why not. If yes, why yes? Kindly refrain from spin!

I mean no disrespect to your belief..but I do not believe the same way you do about Mary.
I am not spinning...I am studing the word of God. I have not come to any conclusions concerning this. I was throwing this out there to see if someone could shed some light on it.

Seems to me like the elect lady was a particular local church and her sister was the local Church John was writing from. Both the elect lady and ''her sister'' where local churches, both ''elect ladies'' in the own right. The children were the parishioners.

watchman F said:
Seems to me like the elect lady was a particular local church and her sister was the local Church John was writing from. Both the elect lady and ''her sister'' where local churches, both ''elect ladies'' in the own right. The children were the parishioners.

Could be?? Is "sister" anywhere else in scripture pointing to a sister church?

awaken said:
Mysteryman said:
awaken said:

Hi awaken

Hi awaken,

2 John 1

The elder to the chosen lady and her children, whom I love in truth; and not only I, but also all who know the truth

interpretation

The elder to the body of Christ and the elect members of the body of Christ, whom I love in truth; and not only I, but also all who know the truth
--------------------------------------------------
Does this reading/interpretation make sense?

stranger said:
Hi awaken,

2 John 1

The elder to the chosen lady and her children, whom I love in truth; and not only I, but also all who know the truth

interpretation

The elder to the body of Christ and the elect members of the body of Christ, whom I love in truth; and not only I, but also all who know the truth
--------------------------------------------------
Does this reading/interpretation make sense?
Or as I suggested it was written to the elder of a particular local Church as John was writing from their sister church elsewhere via verse 13

2nd John:13 The children of thy elect sister greet thee. Amen.

awaken said:
Ahuli said:

I mean no disrespect to your belief..but I do not believe the same way you do about Mary.
I am not spinning...I am studing the word of God. I have not come to any conclusions concerning this. I was throwing this out there to see if someone could shed some light on it.
I have, with the scripture itself, shed light on it for you. Where do you see the catholic mary in the first sentence up to the comma? That is not a difficult question, nor is it difficult to see how it does NOT apply to the catholic mary.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back