Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Bible Study Ever wonder why Jesus got baptized?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
M

mima

Have you ever asked yourself, I wonder why Jesus got baptized? If you have perhaps you'd be interested in a different veiw to all this. And in order to get that view let us go to the Scriptures.
In Matthew 3:13,14 and 15 we find out the following facts.
Jesus purposely came to John for baptism .
We see John not wanting to baptize him but Jesus saying yes, suffer it to be so now in order to fulfill "all righteousness"
Now we're certain that this righteousness that Jesus wanted to be baptized to fulfill was not his own righteousness. For to believe tha we would have to accept the fact that Jesus was unrighteous just before his baptism. And we are sure that that situation did not exist.
So if Jesus did not get baptized to fulfill his own righteousness whose righteousness was he being baptized for?
At this point we should probably agree on this understanding. We know that the Scriptures say that all our righteousness is as filthy rags before the Lord. Therefore the question becomes can we look at our baptism as an act of righteousness that will not be accepted before the Lord. If we agree that the two statements just posed are true then the rest is kind of easy. When we(you and I) get baptized we get baptized into the Lord Jesus Christ. Just as all our other acts of righteousness will not be accepted by the father, neither will our act of being baptized be accepted, except we get baptized into Christ whose baptism fulfills not his own righteousness but our righteousness.
Another words, the Lord Jesus Christ got baptized in order to fulfill" all righteousness" the all righteousness statement is for all believers. What think ye?

I think that you are making a little bit of sense. I have been thinking about this lately and this is what I have developed so far...

As you said, Jesus got baptised to fulfill all righteousness. Obviously not his righteousness, but ours. He did it for us so that we do not have to. Same as he died for our sins so that we do not have to die.

I think that baptism is purely symbolic and really means nothing as far as salvation goes.

WMD said:
I think that baptism is purely symbolic and really means nothing as far as salvation goes.

Hmmm...no. Something definitely happens to a believer. While salvation does not hang on it, there is a very real spiritual experience.

Gabbylittleangel said:
Hmmm...no. Something definitely happens to a believer. While salvation does not hang on it, there is a very real spiritual experience.

Well yes it can be a spiritual experience for the believer, especially when it means so much to them, but that does not change the fact that it is purely symbolic.

Gabbylittleangel said:
Your statement contradicts itself.

No it doesn't.

A symbolic ritual can mean a lot to someone and therefore cause them to have a deep spiritual experience while practicing that ritual.

WMD said:
No it doesn't.

A symbolic ritual can mean a lot to someone and therefore cause them to have a deep spiritual experience while practicing that ritual.

I tend to believe that it means a lot to God and therefore caused a deep spiritual experience while obeying His Word.

At this point it turns into a 'yes it is' 'no it isn't' game. I pray that the Lord will reveal to you the truths of His commands, and that you will soon discover that His word does not return to Him void, but accomplishes what He sent it out to do.

WMD said:

that brings up another subject anyhow back to what i was saying i tend to think of it as did it so he wouldnt be a hypocrite.

mima said:
What think ye?

I think that verse 15 is pretty clear on why he was baptized. As you said, to fulfuill our righteousness.

mima said:
If we agree that the two statements just posed are true then the rest is kind of easy. When we(you and I) get baptized we get baptized into the Lord Jesus Christ.

I think this sounds pretty close to what Paul says in Galatians 3:26-27.

I believe that Baptizm is much more than just a symbolic ritual.

Acts 2:38 - Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Acts 22:16 - And now what are you waiting for? Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away, calling on his name.'

Scripture teaches that we can be saved only through faith in Christ.

Scripture teaches that baptism saves us and washes away our sins.

Therefore, baptism creates the faith that receives the blessings of forgiveness and eternal life through Christ.

Fnerb said:
Scripture teaches that we can be saved only through faith in Christ.

Scripture teaches that baptism saves us and washes away our sins.

Therefore, baptism creates the faith that receives the blessings of forgiveness and eternal life through Christ.

First you say that we can be saved ONLY through faith in Christ.

Then you say that baptism saves us.

Which is it?

Also, baptism cannot and does not wash away our sins. To be washed away requires a 'blood sacrifice' - that was accomplished on the Cross. It is the Cross that washes away our sins.

aLoneVoice said:
First you say that we can be saved ONLY through faith in Christ.

Then you say that baptism saves us.

Which is it?

Also, baptism cannot and does not wash away our sins. To be washed away requires a 'blood sacrifice' - that was accomplished on the Cross. It is the Cross that washes away our sins.

I should have been a little more specific.

Baptism = means of creating saving faith in Christ.

Christ's work on the cross is what saves us.

Fnerb said:
Baptism = means of creating saving faith in Christ.

Forgive me for not understanding. But what does that mean?

Since you accept infant baptism - are you suggesting that by baptizing infants it is 'creating a saving faith' in the child? So, all children will have a 'saving faith' just because they were baptized?

So, as long as a child is baptized the child is 'saved'? What about the child that is baptized, but does not accept Christ as Lord as outlined in Romans 10:8-11? Is that child going to heaven because they were baptized? Why need the cross then?

So again - which is it? Baptism or the Cross that saves?

Ephesians 5:26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

Are we to be washed/baptized in H2O or in the water supplied by the WORD?

John 19:34 But one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there out blood and water.

The WORD gave us HIS water with HIS blood.

John 4:10 Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water.
John 4:11 The woman saith unto him, Sir, thou hast nothing to draw with, and the well is deep: from whence then hast thou that living water?
John 7:38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

The water the WORD supplies is living water, the water of life.

Revelation 21:6 And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.
Revelation 22:1 And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.
Revelation 22:17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.

Jeremiah 2:13 For my people have committed two evils; they have forsaken me the fountain of living waters, and hewed them out cisterns, broken cisterns, that can hold no water.

It's not about H2O.

T7

Pressed for time, but quickly...

aLoneVoice said:
Forgive me for not understanding. But what does that mean?

It means excatly what it says - baptism is a means of grace which produces saving faith in Christ.

So again - which is it? Baptism or the Cross that saves?

As I have said before, Christ saves. His work on the cross saves. Baptism is a means of grace.

thunderz7 said:
It's not about H2O.

Correct.

I still do not understand what you are trying to communicate by a "means of grace".

Grace is providing the Cross to sinners. It is giving us that which we do not deserve.

Baptism is not a 'means of grace' - but an expression of the grace that God has provided us.

Baptism does not produce a saving faith.

Does everyone that get's baptised eventually produce a 'saving faith'? No.

Therefore, Baptism is either ineffectual in producing a 'saving faith' or that isn't what it is for.

Paul did baptize, and I do not know God's exact purpose for baptism, but I do know it is safe to trust that Paul did what was right. Yet it is not necessary to be baptized to recieve the Holy Spirit, because it is written in Acts that there were Gentiles that Peter was visiting and while he proclaiming the gospel of the Lord to them, they believed and recieved the Holy Spirit. And then they were baptized. Peter had gone to them because God had commanded him to do so in order to make it plain that God's salvation was not only for the Jewish, God's people, but also for the Gentiles, and that the two were equal. As it is written, "God does not show favoritism." Anyway, if you're not already baptized, just get baptized!

aLoneVoice said:
I still do not understand what you are trying to communicate by a "means of grace".

Grace is providing the Cross to sinners. It is giving us that which we do not deserve.

Baptism is not a 'means of grace' - but an expression of the grace that God has provided us.

Baptism does not produce a saving faith.

Does everyone that get's baptised eventually produce a 'saving faith'? No.

Therefore, Baptism is either ineffectual in producing a 'saving faith' or that isn't what it is for.

Before I go any further, do you accept decision theology?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back