Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[__ Science __ ] Evidence for Mosaic Authorship of the Torah

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Why would Jesus mention Moses pertaining to the " Scriptures" if Moses did not write anything ?

" And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the
SCRIPTURES the THINGS CONCERNING HIMSELF ." ( Luke 24-27)
Oy vey! Luke wrote "And beginning at Moses and all the prophets..." Which OT "book" is "Moses"? => None of them <=

What do you have against Biblical scholarship? There are many reasons to prove that Moses didn't write Torah -- unless you're saying that he has multiple aliases and changes his writing style and vocabulary throughout.

Did Moses write this after he died?? Deuteronomy 34:5, "And Moses the servant of the Lord died there in Moab, as the Lord had said."

Oy vey! Luke wrote "And beginning at Moses and all the prophets..." Which OT "book" is "Moses"? => None of them <=

What do you have against Biblical scholarship? There are many reasons to prove that Moses didn't write Torah -- unless you're saying that he has multiple aliases and changes his writing style and vocabulary throughout.

Did Moses write this after he died?? Deuteronomy 34:5, "And Moses the servant of the Lord died there in Moab, as the Lord had said."

I thought that you said we had gone as far as we can with this ?
You do know that your spiritual shortsightedness / inobservance is still getting the better of you ?
Moses very easily could have pre- written the time & place that he was to be gathered to his people for the simple reason that it was told to him by God ahead of time where and when he was to die.
" And the Lord spake unto Moses that selfsame day, saying ,....
......And die in the mount whither thou goest up, and be gathered unto thy people .
....because ye sanctified me not in the midst of the children of Israel.
Yet thou shalt see the land before thee but thou shalt not go thither unto the land...."
( Deuteronomy 32: 48-52 )
Just as Paul could have been the only person on earth to know exactly what was transacted between himself and God
on the Damascus Road , only Moses alone could have put to paper the exchange that occurred between himself and God concerning the time & place of his impending death .

Could I just ask an honest question of you?
And I pledge as a lover of Jesus Christ not to be disrespectful of your answer .
No right or wrong answer here, just personal opinion .
It is one thing to say that the evidence shows that Moses had no hand in the writing , but it is quite another thing to state why you believe that the paramount leader of the chosen people of God , who introduced the nation Israel to the world, and led them through a 40 year wilderness pilgrimage made the conscious decision not to write anything ?
Why do you believe Moses made the decision not to write anything ?
Or if you know of a reason that any scholar has given as to why they believe Moses made the decision not to write ?

The tradition that Moses was the author probably began with the legalistic code of the Book of Deuteronomy and was then gradually extended until Moses, as the central character, came to be regarded not just as the mediator of law but as author of both laws and narrative.
Probably?

From Wikipedia's article entitled "Composition of the Torah"...

The composition of the Torah (or Pentateuch, the first five books of the Bible: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy) was a process that involved multiple authors over an extended period of time. While Jewish tradition holds that all five books were originally written by Moses sometime in the 2nd millennium BCE, leading scholars have rejected Mosaic authorship since the 17th century.
Let me see.. I personally know that many Athiest put these articles together for the sole purpose of dismantling our faith.

Jewish tradition ascribes the author of Torah to Moses.
Jesus scribes the author of Torah to Moses.
Scholar are in disagreement with Jewish Tradition and Jesus.
You are in agreement with scholars who disagree with Jewish tradition and Jesus.

If I quoted Scholars who agreed with Jewish Tradition and Jesus, would it change your mind?
The precise process by which the Torah was composed, the number of authors involved, and the date of each author remain hotly contested among scholars.
Of course it is…
holding that the Torah was composed by using four different sources—Yahwist, Elohist, Priestly and Deuteronomist—that were combined into one in the Persian period.
While I use these catagorizations when referencing Torah, I don’t look at them as coming from different authors. I view them simply as literary styles. For example, I can write a technical document for software developers and I can also write a users guide. Both styles are very different because I am writing to two very different audiences. That doesn’t mean I am two different authors.

For me, it comes back to your opening words, most notably the word Probably.

There are probably many things we could talk about, each item probably hotly contested. Or, we could lean on Jewish tradition and the words of Jesus that sound very certain on the matter. I suppose we probably have a choice to make. There are probably some that will make a poor choice.

Probably?

Let me see.. I personally know that many Athiest put these articles together for the sole purpose of dismantling our faith.

Jewish tradition ascribes the author of Torah to Moses.
Jesus scribes the author of Torah to Moses.
Scholar are in disagreement with Jewish Tradition and Jesus.
You are in agreement with scholars who disagree with Jewish tradition and Jesus.

If I quoted Scholars who agreed with Jewish Tradition and Jesus, would it change your mind?

Of course it is…

While I use these catagorizations when referencing Torah, I don’t look at them as coming from different authors. I view them simply as literary styles. For example, I can write a technical document for software developers and I can also write a users guide. Both styles are very different because I am writing to two very different audiences. That doesn’t mean I am two different authors.

For me, it comes back to your opening words, most notably the word Probably.

There are probably many things we could talk about, each item probably hotly contested. Or, we could lean on Jewish tradition and the words of Jesus that sound very certain on the matter. I suppose we probably have a choice to make. There are probably some that will make a poor choice.

Your phrase "that sound very certain on the matter." says it all. There is no proof of who wrote the Torah. Period. There are various scholarly opinions that differ from each other. I believe those authorities that state there were multiple authors; you don't. Let's leave it at that.

When you write "I personally know that many Athiest put these articles together for the sole purpose of dismantling our faith" a) you give no evidence and b) who is/are "many Atheist"?

One final thought, then I'm done: how did Moses write about his own death?? Case closed as far as I'm concerned.

Bye. I'm done discussing this with you. Vaya con Dios, amigo.

Back