Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

[_ Old Earth _] EVOLUTION - A BELIEVER'S PERSPECTIVE

...Based on the data from your guys and from Project Steve, about 0.3% of them. The bandwagon argument is a big loser for you guys. I never could figure out what you hope to gain by showing that such a tiny minority of scientists accept your beliefs.

Project Steve signatories as of 11 June: 1216 (statistically, about 1% of scientists in the US are named Steven, Stephanie, etc)

Dissent from Darwin signatories as of December 2011: perhaps slightly more than 800 (the DI does not list the actual number and I couldn't be bothered to make anything more than an estimate of the total signatories on 20 pages - 25 on the first, 42 on the second), amongst which are approximately 0.01% of US-based biologists. From all appearances the 'hundreds of PhD scientists' who are becoming 'apostates to Darwinism' has slowed to less than a trickle since 2008 (761 in August 2008, maybe somewhat more than 800 in December 2011, when it was last updated).

Project Steve signatories as of 11 June: 1216 (statistically, about 1% of scientists in the US are named Steven, Stephanie, etc)
Can you name just one Stephanie, tell us what her credentials are and why she signed Steve's 'list'? Again---science is not a 'majority rules'. All of your Steve's can be dead wrong. You struggle.

I found it interesting to see that John Craig Venter - "biologist known for being one of the first to sequence the human genome and for creating the first cell with a synthetic genome" (Wikipedia) denies common ancestry. Darwinism appears to be imploding - it's myths exposed.
Craig Venter denies common descent — Dawkins incredulous

Interesting story at Evolution News & Views about an exchange between Craig Venter (of human genome fame) and Richard Dawkins (of neo-atheist fame). Venter denies common descent, Dawkins can’t believe that he would even question it. For the exchange, which also includes Paul Davies, go here (start at the 9 minute mark). Origin-of-life researchers such as Ford Doolittle and Carl Woese have questioned for some time whether there even is a tree of life. Venter is now following in their train.

What’s significant is not so much whether Venter is right (I think he is), but what his dissent from Darwinian orthodoxy suggests about the disarray in the study of biological origins. If common descent is up for grabs, what isn’t?

Imagine physics in the century after Newton questioning whether there even is such a force as gravity or suggesting that really it decomposes into several different types of gravitational forces.

Venter’s flight from orthodoxy is even more drastic. Common descent is thesanctum sanctorum of evolutionary biology. If scientists of Venter’s stature are now desecrating it, what’s next? Check it out here

What does Venter know that you don't? Think about it.

Can you name just one Stephanie, tell us what her credentials are and why she signed Steve's 'list'?
Stephanie Bedhomme, Post-doctoral Associate Researcher, Animal Evolutionary Ecology Group, Institute for Evolution and Biodiversity, University of Muenster Ph.D., Evolutionary Biology, University of Montpellier. There are 29 others.
Again---science is not a 'majority rules'. All of your Steve's can be dead wrong. You struggle.
You were the one who introduced the idea that 'hundreds of PhD scientists' are flooding to sign the Dissent from Darwin statement as if this was significant in some way, so you need to live with the consequences.
I found it interesting to see that John Craig Venter - "biologist known for being one of the first to sequence the human genome and for creating the first cell with a synthetic genome" (Wikipedia) denies common ancestry. Darwinism appears to be imploding - it's myths exposed.
Craig Venter denies common descent — Dawkins incredulous

Interesting story at Evolution News & Views about an exchange between Craig Venter (of human genome fame) and Richard Dawkins (of neo-atheist fame). Venter denies common descent, Dawkins can’t believe that he would even question it. For the exchange, which also includes Paul Davies, go here (start at the 9 minute mark). Origin-of-life researchers such as Ford Doolittle and Carl Woese have questioned for some time whether there even is a tree of life. Venter is now following in their train.

What’s significant is not so much whether Venter is right (I think he is), but what his dissent from Darwinian orthodoxy suggests about the disarray in the study of biological origins. If common descent is up for grabs, what isn’t?

Imagine physics in the century after Newton questioning whether there even is such a force as gravity or suggesting that really it decomposes into several different types of gravitational forces.

Venter’s flight from orthodoxy is even more drastic. Common descent is thesanctum sanctorum of evolutionary biology. If scientists of Venter’s stature are now desecrating it, what’s next? Check it out here

What does Venter know that you don't? Think about it.
You should attribute your sources. You have quoted William Dembski verbatim without crediting him. You may find this critique of his comments informative:

biologos. org/blog/dueling-scientists-and-the-tree-of-life-analyzing-the-id-response/#comments

...This is the reason many of us question your 'scientific credentials' - you make odd statements. Science is not based on majority rule. Most discoveries are made by those who disagree with the majority - think Galileo. It is significant that many scientists are rejecting Darwinism - they do not reject gravity - why Darwinism?
So on the one hand the fact that 'many scientists are rejecting Darwinism' is significant, but on the other hand the numbers holding a particular point of view is irrelevant? I think you need to make up your mind what argument you are trying to make here.
Are there credible scientists who doubt Neo-Darwinism?
Yes. Signers of the Scientific Dissent From Darwinism hold doctorates in biological sciences, physics, chemistry, mathematics, medicine, computer science, and related disciplines from such institutions as Oxford, Cambridge, Harvard, Dartmouth, Rutgers, University of Chicago, Stanford and University of California at Berkeley. Many are also professors or researchers at major universities and research institutions such as Cambridge, Princeton, MIT, UCLA, University of Pennsylvania, University of Georgia, Tulane, Moscow State University, Chitose Institute of Science & Technology in Japan, and Ben-Gurion University in Israel. ~ Discovery Institute
'At least one signatory of A Scientific Dissent From Darwinism has abandoned the list, saying he felt misled. Robert C. Davidson, a Christian, scientist, doctor, and retired nephrology professor at the University of Washington medical school said after having signed he was shocked when he discovered that the Discovery Institute was calling evolution a "theory in crisis". "It's laughable: There have been millions of experiments over more than a century that support evolution," said Davidson. "There's always questions being asked about parts of the theory, as there are with any theory, but there's no real scientific controversy about it. ... When I joined I didn't think they were about bashing evolution. It's pseudo-science, at best. ... What they're doing is instigating a conflict between science and religion."[49]'

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Scientific_Dissent_From_Darwinism

Stephanie Bedhomme, Post-doctoral Associate Researcher, Animal Evolutionary Ecology Group, Institute for Evolution and Biodiversity, University of Muenster Ph.D., Evolutionary Biology, University of Montpellier.
But you did not include the reason she allegedly signed this fictitious list. Does she not know?

You were the one who introduced the idea that 'hundreds of PhD scientists' are flooding to sign the Dissent from Darwin statement as if this was significant in some way, so you need to live with the consequences.
It is significant and I can easily live with it - obviously you are the one finding it hard to live with.

You should attribute your sources. You have quoted William Dembski verbatim without crediting him.

I cited my source--Wikipedia. Why would a scientist the caliber of Venter deny common descent?

Can you name just one Stephanie, tell us what her credentials are and why she signed Steve's 'list'?

Yes. I think that would be possible. There is list of steves. Some of them are well-known enough to find out.

Again---science is not a 'majority rules'.

That's another reason it was dumb of you to try the bandwagon ploy. You lose on both counts.

All of your Steve's can be dead wrong. You struggle.

Arguing that they've all got it wrong, except for your 0.3% is pretty foolish, too. I don't know why you guys try that scam. It's a loser for you no matter how you spin it.

I found it interesting to see that John Craig Venter - "biologist known for being one of the first to sequence the human genome and for creating the first cell with a synthetic genome" (Wikipedia) denies common ancestry.

Evolution of neurotransmitter receptor systems.
Venter JC, di Porzio U, Robinson DA, Shreeve SM, Lai J, Kerlavage AR, Fracek SP Jr, Lentes KU, Fraser CM.
Source

Section of Receptor Biochemistry, National Institute of Neurological and Communicative Disorders and Stroke, Bethesda, Maryland 20892.
Abstract

The presence of hormones, neurotransmitters, their receptors and biosynthetic and degradative enzymes is clearly not only associated with the present and the recent past but with the past several hundred million years. Evidence is mounting which indicates substantial conservation of protein structure and function of these receptors and enzymes over these tremendous periods of time. These findings indicate that the evolution and development of the nervous system was not dependent upon the formation of new or better transmitter substances, receptor proteins, transducers and effector proteins but involved better utilization of these highly developed elements in creating advanced and refined circuitry. This is not a new concept; it is one that is now substantiated by increasingly sophisticated studies. In a 1953 article discussing chemical aspects of evolution (Danielli, 1953) Danielli quotes Medawar, "... endocrine evolution is not an evolution of hormones but an evolution of the uses to which they are put; an evolution not, to put it crudely, of chemical formulae but of reactivities, reaction patterns and tissue competences." To also quote Danielli, "In terms of comparative biochemistry, one must ask to what extent the evolution of these reactivities, reaction patterns and competences is conditional upon the evolution of methods of synthesis of new proteins, etc., and to what extent the proteins, etc., are always within the synthetic competence of an organism. In the latter case evolution is the history of changing uses of molecules, and not of changing synthetic abilities." (Danielli, 1953). Figure 4 outlines a phylogenetic tree together with an indication of where evidence exists for both the enzymes that determine the biosynthesis and metabolism of the cholinergic and adrenergic transmitters and their specific cholinergic and adrenergic receptors. This figure illustrates a number of important points. For example, the evidence appears to show that the transmitters and their associated enzymes existed for a substantial period before their respective receptor proteins. While the transmitters and enzymes appear to exist in single cellular organisms, there is no solid evidence for the presence of adrenergic or cholinergic receptors until multicellular organisms where the receptors appear to be clearly associated with specific cellular and neuronal communication (Fig. 4). One can only speculate as to the possible role for acetylcholine and the catecholamine in single cell organisms.

Surprise.

Darwinism appears to be imploding - it's myths exposed.

Something just imploded. :biglol

BTW, Francis Collins, Venter's supervisor at the Human Genome Project, and an evangelical Christian, notes that genetic research confirms common descent.

And note above. Venter is pointing to common descent.

In science, everything is up for grabs. The guys who knock over big theories get the best rewards. But mostly, they fail.

Which is what happened. Read Kuhn's The Structure of Scientific Revolutions.

Comes down to evidence, which is why most scientists accept common descent. The reason that there are fewer holdouts today, is that evolutionary development has shown the genetic basis for common descent.

I notice, BTW, that Venter freely admits:

Well, I think the tree of life is an artifact of some early scientific studies that aren’t really holding up so the tree, you know—there may be a bush of life…[laugher, joking]…So there is not a tree of life. In fact from our deep sequencing of organisms in the ocean, out of now, we have about 60 million unique gene sets, we’ve found 12 that look like a very, very deep branching, perhaps fourth domain of life that obviously is extremely rare that it only shows up out of those few sequences. But it’s still DNA-based…we’re going to find the same molecules and the same base systems wherever we look.

Surprise.

What does Venter know that you don't?

It's what I know that he doesn't. You see, there are a couple of things in the genetic code of bacteria that are spelled differently than they are in for example, vertebrates. But the rest of the code is identical to the point that the cytochome c of bacteria would do just fine in your body.

But here's the real key; the differences in coding sort out according to evolutionary phylogenies.

Yep. They appear just as they would if the code itself changed by evolution.

Surprise. Maybe surprise to Venter, too. But I suspect, since he describes common descent as a bush rather than a tree (which is the current understanding) that he actually knows this, too.

And then, there's this:

Paul Davies disagrees with him, saying that one form of life need not eliminate another: “You’re right that life as we know it is spread into a wide geographical parameter space, but it doesn’t fill it up totally…The archaea and the bacteria have coexisted peacefully for what, 2.5 billion years, 3 billion? I don’t know. Do you know, Craig, how far back to the branch point?” Venter replies, without hesitation, “3.5 billion.”
http://biologos.org/blog/dueling-scientists-and-the-tree-of-life-analyzing-the-id-response/#comments

Venter just mentioned the earliest divergence in the conventional common descent phylogeny. How about that? Turns out he accepts common descent.

Think about it.

Already knew about it. But clearly all this is a surprise to you. Does it bother you that Dembski set you up for a chump? Does it bother you enough to start thinking for yourself?

Arguing that they've all got it wrong, except for your 0.3% is pretty foolish, too.
LOL - the pseudoscientists said the same thing to Galileo but he was correct and they were wrong. You continue to struggle. The Dissent From Darwinism statement really bothers you - doesn't it?
Dissent From Darwinism statement
"We are skeptical of claims for the ability of random mutation and natural selection to account for the complexity of life. Careful examination of the evidence for Darwinian theory should be encouraged."

Why is it necessary to have such a statement?
In recent years there has been a concerted effort on the part of some supporters of modern Darwinian theory to deny the existence of scientific critics of Neo-Darwinism and to discourage open discussion of the scientific evidence for and against Neo-Darwinism. The Scientific Dissent From Darwinism statement exists to correct the public record by showing that there are scientists who support an open examination of the evidence relating to modern Darwinian theory and who question whether Neo-Darwinism can satisfactorily explain the complexity and diversity of the natural world.

"The ideology and philosophy of neo-Darwinism which is sold by its adepts as a scientific theoretical foundation of biology seriously hampers the development of science and hides from students the field’s real problems."

Dr. Vladimir L. Voeikov, Professor of Bioorganic, Moscow State University; member of the Russian Academy of Natural Science​

But you did not include the reason she allegedly signed this fictitious list. Does she not know?
From the Project Steve site:

To see if you qualify, just answer these simple questions:

• Are you named Steve, Stephen, Steven, Esteban, Etienne, or Stephanie?

• Do you have a Ph.D. in biology, geology, paleontology, or a related scientific field?

• Do you want the kind of success in life you always thought was reserved for the "other Steves"?

And the Project Steve statement itself:

Evolution is a vital, well-supported, unifying principle of the biological sciences, and the scientific evidence is overwhelmingly in favor of the idea that all living things share a common ancestry. Although there are legitimate scientific debates about the patterns and processes of evolution, there is no serious scientific doubt that evolution occurred or that natural selection is a major mechanism of evolution. It is scientifically inappropriate and pedagogically irresponsible for creationist pseudoscience, including but not limited to "intelligent design," to be introduced into the science curricula of the public schools.

So I guess you can work it out for yourself the most likely reasons why she signed up. Both quotations from http://ncse.com/taking-action/project-steve.
It is significant and I can easily live with it - obviously you are the one finding it hard to live with.
You started the numbers game, amigo, and it looks as if you are beginning to realise the implications of it.
I cited my source--Wikipedia. Why would a scientist the caliber of Venter deny common descent?
The source for your extended quotation isn't Wiki. Clearly you did not follow-up on the critique I referenced for you or you would understand exactly what Ventner and Dawkins were discussing and it wasn't the validity of common descent.

Venter just mentioned the earliest divergence in the conventional common descent phylogeny. How about that? Turns out he accepts common descent.
Well,, Venter denies common descent and Dawkins can’t believe that he would even question it. Either you are confused or Vetner and Darwkins are confused - I will go with you are confused. You struggle.

Barbarian chuckles:

Well,, Venter denies common descent

The fact that he set the first major division of life between bacteria and archaea at 3.5 billion years ago, pretty much puts that one away, as does his characterization of living things forming a "bush" rather than a "tree."

and Dawkins can’t believe that he would even question it. Either you are confused or Vetner and Darwkins are confused

Venter has stated common descent goes back at least to the divergence of bacteria and archaea. I'd have to agree with that. That's pretty much the whole shooting match. So it looks like you and Dawkins are confused.

LOL - do you just pull this stuff out of the air?
design: conceived or created by a designer
God created "in the beginning" using design.

..."using design"...?

Why not say "usung the Big Bang?"

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif](Click on picture to go to next page)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Gen. 1:1 In the beginning, (the Formative/Cosmology Era), God, (the Uncaused First Cause, or the Dark Energy which pre-existed the material Universe, perhaps), created... (all that which has followed the Big Bang from the singularity of Planck Time which consisted of Seven Stages:

1) The Inflation Era

2) The Quark Era

3) Hadron Era

4) Lepton Era

5) Nucleosynthesis Era

6) Opaque Era

7) Matter Era,... in an enormous Einsteinian energy transformation, E = mC^2), the (matter composing the) heaven (beyond the Solar System) and the (accretion disk which congealed into the planet) earth.
[/FONT]

..."using design"...?

Why not say "usung the Big Bang?"

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif](Click on picture to go to next page)[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]

[/FONT]

The caption is this image is not a conclusion of the equation, especially since some types of energy are massive.

The caption is this image is not a conclusion of the equation, especially since some types of energy are massive.

I tend to go along with the caption since it was from a lesson presented by the Physics Department on the subject of Science History.

But I also support the application of the Law of Conservation of Energy/mass here, as the explanation for the transformation from pre-existing Energy (before Space/Time) into the matter and Space/Time which defined the Universe after the Big Bang.

To be more clear, the Universe appeared because the Energy which existed prior to the Big Bang was converted into matter.

Funny how the linkback directs to that bizzare tripod site.

Interesting how you got it from a physics department, but you don't link to it from any physics department website. You went to the tripod site instead.

Given the other photoshopped images you have on there that have false information on them, I believe you created the image and the caption yourself.

Funny how the linkback directs to that bizzare tripod site.

Interesting how you got it from a physics department, but you don't link to it from any physics department website. You went to the tripod site instead.

Given the other photoshopped images you have on there that have false information on them, I believe you created the image and the caption yourself.

Yes, I do use the site at tripod which is not the creator of the graphics, but merely a desiminating vehicle for Theistic Evolution interpretations.

But I make no appeal to authory anyway.

I am not even certain what your critical objection is nor how some authority could satisfy you in that regard.

The large E = mC^2 in the graphic does at least suggest that creator of the graphic agrees that the Law of Conservation of Energy explains where the matter of the Universe came from.

I am not sure whether you complain that this explanation supports Genesis or that you would prefer Genesis be considered scientifically incorrect.

What is you positon, is genesis scientifically support and true, or a pack of lies?

Yes, I do use the site at tripod which is not the creator of the graphics, but merely a desiminating vehicle for Theistic Evolution interpretations.

But I make no appeal to authory anyway.

I am not even certain what your critical objection is nor how some authority could satisfy you in that regard.

The large E = mC^2 in the graphic does at least suggest that creator of the graphic agrees that the Law of Conservation of Energy explains where the matter of the Universe came from.

I am not sure whether you complain that this explanation supports Genesis or that you would prefer Genesis be considered scientifically incorrect.

What is you positon, is genesis scientifically support and true, or a pack of lies?

Well, until you source the graphic, it is irrelevant what the creater of it thinks.

But I can tell you that anyone who thinks that the Law of Conservation explains the origin of matter does not know what the Law of Conservation is,

And your last question is a false dichotomy.

Well, until you source the graphic, it is irrelevant what the creater of it thinks.

But I can tell you that anyone who thinks that the Law of Conservation explains the origin of matter does not know what the Law of Conservation is,

And your last question is a false dichotomy.

I think I know the Law of Conservation of Energy/matter.

I find many people today are confused by the practice of expressing matter and energy in the same units, simply because one can be changed into the other under the proper circumstances.
But that does not mean energy IS matter, or visa versa.

Matter always occupies Space and is attracted to other matter so as to create the force we call weight.

Energy does not require Space and has no weight because Energy does not attract other energy in any of the seven forms it takes.

I think I know the Law of Conservation of Energy/matter.

I find many people today are confused by the practice of expressing matter and energy in the same units, simply because one can be changed into the other under the proper circumstances.
But that does not mean energy IS matter, or visa versa.

Matter always occupies Space and is attracted to other matter so as to create the force we call weight.

Energy does not require Space and has no weight because Energy does not attract other energy in any of the seven forms it takes.

I don't think you do understand much of anything about this subject.

Weight doesn't tell us anything about the amount of matter an object has. That's mass. Something you should have learned day 1 of high school physics.

And energy takes on more forms than seven. One of those is magnetic. Light also exerts gravity.

I don't think you do understand much of anything about this subject.

Weight doesn't tell us anything about the amount of matter an object has. That's mass. Something you should have learned day 1 of high school physics.

And energy takes on more forms than seven. One of those is magnetic. Light also exerts gravity.

1) Really?
Weight tells usthat two pieces of matter are attracting each other.

That does not happen with two forms of energy.
The attraction is evidence of a force called Gravity which is an inherent property of matter.
Since energy was no mass, it has no gravitational attraction.

2) Yes, it is true that light bends in a strong gravitational field like when light travels in curved Space.
But the reason for this concerns the momentum of a photon which is expressed in the formal Einstein Equation E2 = m2c4 + p2c2.

Here, p means momentum, and is a function of the wave length of the light, since the photon has no mass.

Photons have zero mass.
So in the case of a photon, m=0 so E = pc

Or p = E/c.

On the other hand, for a particle with mass m at rest (i.e., p = 0), you get back the famous E = mc2.

Back