Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] Evolution is only a THEORY

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Listed and recorded examples of speciation are lies, then?

I see you still believe in the 'grand scientific conspiracy' hypothesis, Bryan.

OK. DeVries found a new species of plant, a form of wild primrose, never seen before. It was not fertile with any other species. From this, he suggested that evolution could be directly studied.

Now I'll readily admit that my studies into biology don't go very far when it comes to plants. I'm probably at a high school level in my understanding... so please forgive any fallacies I might bring forth...

However, let's take the canine group and use it as a comparison for my first question: a chihuahua and a great dane are two of the same species although one would certainly never argue that the two would seldom if ever mate naturally due to their physical differences... but that doesn't mean that they are unfertile together. Could it be the same within this plant species? Can there be a physical difference in the reproductive organs of plants that would cause them to be naturally incompatible but still fertile?

And then again, my creationist mind might ask the question whether or not this was observed macroevolution since the population was not observed to split in reproductive ability.

We know today that this species was formed by polyploidy, multiplication of chromosomes. This is a common sort of macroevolution in plants.

How did we come to conclude that and also, if this is a common macro in plants, can you name me a few others (if not, don't worry about looking them up - I don't want to be a burden)?

In your example of Dobzhansky and Pavlovsky's observations, I noticed that the evolved* strain could still by cross-bred with other strains. Why would this be considered speciation if reproduction with similar "species" was still viable?[/color]

It flourished in mine tailings, but could not produce viable crosses with the parent species. It had become a new species.

By viable you mean that the species* was fertile with other species* but the offspring wasn't capable of surviving? If so, it is my opinion that this is not enough distinction to create a new species. Certain blood types in our species might shouldn't breed together because of the higher risk of unviable offspring - but I wouldn't label them a different species.

I'll try to find the reference for you.

Don't worry about it. You're one of the absolute few who I trust to provide me with accurate information (as far as not being falsified). Sorry to the rest of you chums, but if I get to know you as long as I've known Barb and you are consistent as he is, we'll talk.

BL

Lightning, appeasing the evolutionists while they play their shell game is hardly a productive use of anyone's time.

I am not appeasing... I am learning, I am debating, I am deciphering.

I may have been blunt, but it is true, they ARE lying.

Unfortunately, you lack the knowledge to make the statement - at least you haven't shown me you have any understanding of ToE. There's nothing I hate more than to hear a Christian who is illiterate and unknowledgable of the thing they are arguing against.

BL

what exactly are you afraid of bryan? i believe in God and in Jesus as my personal saviour but i still feel most of evolutionary theory has no relevance or effect on theological issues. what does it matter if some animal has evolved into a new species? someone explain to me why that matters? i understand the problem if its human evolution. but animals?? no. it doesn't matter. if anything it shows God's wisdom in creating a mechanism for allowing his creations to survive.
in any case, blue lightning is right in his questioning of how species are determined. if 5k years from now some archaeologists unearth shaq's skeleton and the skeleton of mini-me from austin powers they are probably going to be looked at as different species.

That's hilarious! Although dental similarities seem to be highly important, I too wonder what would be determined if the only specimens they find are Andre the Giant and Gary Coleman! :lol:

Just imagine what will be in their museums if they postulate that Coleman was a youth of the species and Andre was an adult - imagine what they'll draw teenagers as!

BL

Barbarian on an actual observed speciation:
OK. DeVries found a new species of plant, a form of wild primrose, never seen before. It was not fertile with any other species. From this, he suggested that evolution could be directly studied.

Now I'll readily admit that my studies into biology don't go very far when it comes to plants. I'm probably at a high school level in my understanding... so please forgive any fallacies I might bring forth...

However, let's take the canine group and use it as a comparison for my first question: a chihuahua and a great dane are two of the same species although one would certainly never argue that the two would seldom if ever mate naturally due to their physical differences... but that doesn't mean that they are unfertile together.

They can actually produce viable offspring (I suppose mom would have to be a great dane). There are species that are simply unable or unwilling to breed, but this isn't one of them.

Could it be the same within this plant species? Can there be a physical difference in the reproductive organs of plants that would cause them to be naturally incompatible but still fertile?

That would be a different species, then. If one evolves to the point that another population cannot produce viable offspring (and "viable" includes being able to reproduce) then it is a different species. Why is this a good point to go from microevolution to macroevolution? Because once reproductive isolation is a fact, then the genes of the two species can no longer be interchanged, and they will evolve increasingly from each other.

And then again, my creationist mind might ask the question whether or not this was observed macroevolution since the population was not observed to split in reproductive ability.

That would assume that a very well-characerized biota had a distinct species of flower for hundreds of years with no one noticing. Seems pretty unlikely.

Barbarian observes:
We know today that this species was formed by polyploidy, multiplication of chromosomes. This is a common sort of macroevolution in plants.

How did we come to conclude that and also, if this is a common macro in plants, can you name me a few others (if not, don't worry about looking them up - I don't want to be a burden)?

Simple. The chromosomes are the same as in a related species, but doubled in number. Yes, there are many others. I'm told that there are a few examples like that in animals, but not very many. Polyploidy tends to be lethal in animals.

In your example of Dobzhansky and Pavlovsky's observations, I noticed that the evolved* strain could still by cross-bred with other strains. Why would this be considered speciation if reproduction with similar "species" was still viable?

The interfertility had dropped to the point where a viable population between them was not possible. Grizzly bears and polar bears are two separate species, but they can interbreed and produce viable offspring.

Why do you suppose that recent speciations are not as complete as others that have been going on for many lifetimes? Speciation usually is not something that pops up in one generation, but is a gradual process. There are exceptions, of course.

Barbarian observes:
It flourished in mine tailings, but could not produce viable crosses with the parent species. It had become a new species.

By viable you mean that the species* was fertile with other species* but the offspring wasn't capable of surviving?

Yes. That's true of many animals. Humans and Chimps, for example can probably form a fetus, but it would not survive.

If so, it is my opinion that this is not enough distinction to create a new species.

Most taxonomists consider chimps and humans separate species.

Certain blood types in our species might shouldn't breed together because of the higher risk of unviable offspring - but I wouldn't label them a different species.

Me neither. But this is genetic, not immunological.

I'll try to find the reference for you.

Don't worry about it. You're one of the absolute few who I trust to provide me with accurate information (as far as not being falsified). Sorry to the rest of you chums, but if I get to know you as long as I've known Barb and you are consistent as he is, we'll talk.

Thanks for the confidence; I'll do my best to live up to it.

I've got a few counterpoints but I'll have to wait until tomorrow to type them...

"See" you then,

BL

The Barbarian said:
[quote="Blue Lightning":b2978]Could it be the same within this plant species? Can there be a physical difference in the reproductive organs of plants that would cause them to be naturally incompatible but still fertile?

That would be a different species, then. If one evolves to the point that another population cannot produce viable offspring (and "viable" includes being able to reproduce) then it is a different species. Why is this a good point to go from microevolution to macroevolution? Because once reproductive isolation is a fact, then the genes of the two species can no longer be interchanged, and they will evolve increasingly from each other.
[/quote:b2978]

Isn't another possibility from the above that the species will simply die out and no longer exist? I'm not sure I understand how reproductive isolation necessarily implies macroevolution.

It implies that it's a new species, and evolution being the process by which species become new ones. This is the definition of macroevolution.

Isn't another possibility from the above that the species will simply die out and no longer exist?

Yep. That's why we don't have a copy of every transitional that ever existed. Some of them go extinct, and do so very quickly, maybe fast enought that they don't leave a fossil record. Typically, when speciation involves selective pressure, the population evolves rapidly until it is well-fitted to the environment again. Many species might have appeared and disappeared in the process. The fossil record is heavily skewed toward long-lived species.

I'm not sure I understand how reproductive isolation necessarily implies macroevolution.

It's a watershed. Once two populations are reproductively isolated, they diverge and no longer share genes. Mutations in one cannot reach the other. In truth, common descent involves only speciation.

Understand also that speciation may be a gradual thing, with gradually decreasing interfertility, until the two populations aren't interfertile at all. We can see all sorts of graduations in living organisms.

They can actually produce viable offspring (I suppose mom would have to be a great dane). There are species that are simply unable or unwilling to breed, but this isn't one of them.

I would say highly unlikely... :)

Not necessarily... you're forgetting the option of a third party. If two populations are unable due fertilize (although fertile) but a third population can reproduce with both then cross reproduction can occur. For example (and I'll use canines again for familiarity):

Chihuahuas and Coyotes are isolated populations which do not interbreed naturally (which really would mean they are a different species if you consider Fransico Ayala's definition to be best). They are isolated from each other and they will not interbreed. However... it could be hypothesized that it would be possible for chihuahua populations and beagle populations to interbreed. It is also probable that beagles and coyotes could and would interbreed. Thus, coyotes and chihuahuas should be in the same species since they are not isolated, they are bridged by another sub-species. Of course, you know that scientists commonly classify coyotes, wolves, and dogs (canus lupus for grey wolves, and canus latrans for coyotes) as different species.

That would assume that a very well-characerized biota had a distinct species of flower for hundreds of years with no one noticing. Seems pretty unlikely.

It is highly unlikely, but it isn't impossible. Of course, I don't have 10% of the details, so much of what I can say would only be speculation.

Grizzly bears and polar bears are two separate species, but they can interbreed and produce viable offspring.

Then are they really different species? Just because they are in a different location and thus isolated from each other, should that really count as "macroevolution"? And if so, why such a double standard?: "By this definition of species there are over 6000 species of fruit flies (Drosophila) in Hawaii alone!"*

Humans and Chimps, for example can probably form a fetus, but it would not survive.

Then I would contend that humans and chimps are not a seperate species. Of course, I would also doubt very much that they could create even a zygote. Otherwise, we would have already seen something of the sort - people do d-u-m-b things sometimes...

Perhaps you could educate me by explaining to me finally (I have neve been able to find it) what exactly triggers sperm of one organism to unite with an egg of another, but other organism's sperm will not. I'm assuming it's something to do with the chemical make-up of the egg's surface - I've been told it's something like a key.

BL[/color]

Barbarian on Great Dane/Chihuahua cross..

I would say highly unlikely...

It's been done. There used to be a site with one, but the link is now broken.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=U ... 22&spell=1

Not necessarily... you're forgetting the option of a third party. If two populations are unable due fertilize (although fertile) but a third population can reproduce with both then cross reproduction can occur. For example (and I'll use canines again for familiarity):

These are called "ring species". Leopard frogs in North America are an example. The ones on the far northern and far southern ends of the range can't interbreed, but they can interbreed with the ones in between. So, for now, leopard frogs are still one species. If for any reason the middle populations get eliminated, or northern or southern ones evolve further, we will have speciation.

Chihuahuas and Coyotes are isolated populations which do not interbreed naturally (which really would mean they are a different species if you consider Fransico Ayala's definition to be best). They are isolated from each other and they will not interbreed.

I live were the urban sprawl surrounded a patch of prairie and then encroached on it. Coyotes don't mind urban environments. They've become a problem. They see chihuahuas as coyote chow.

However... it could be hypothesized that it would be possible for chihuahua populations and beagle populations to interbreed. It is also probable that beagles and coyotes could and would interbreed. Thus, coyotes and chihuahuas should be in the same species since they are not isolated, they are bridged by another sub-species. Of course, you know that scientists commonly classify coyotes, wolves, and dogs (canus lupus for grey wolves, and canus latrans for coyotes) as different species.

Often, closely related species can interbreed, although they tend not to in the wild. Apparently, viable coyote/dog breeds are possible, although it takes some effort. Neither seems to find the other very attractive as a mate. Foxes, wild dogs, and jackels seem to have diverged long enough to make them completely infertile. Dogs and grey wolves have evolved apart in a geological instant.

Barbarian on the chances someone just never noticed a new species of flower:

It is highly unlikely, but it isn't impossible. Of course, I don't have 10% of the details, so much of what I can say would only be speculation.

If it wasn't a prominently-flowering plant, there might be some possibility. But it is quite prominent.

Barbarian observes:
Grizzly bears and polar bears are two separate species, but they can interbreed and produce viable offspring.

Then are they really different species? Just because they are in a different location and thus isolated from each other, should that really count as "macroevolution"?

Yep. They are quite different. Polar bears have changed shape, the hairs have become specialized for retaining heat in water, the pads of the feet are specialized for walking on ice, and the front feet are webbed for swimming. The shape is streamlined for swimming as well.

A cross would not be viable in the wild. They would overheat on land (polar bears overheat if they run for any distance, even in winter) and they would not be able to swim and survive in arctic waters. So you'll never get a cross that lives, outside of zoos.

And if so, why such a double standard?: "By this definition of species there are over 6000 species of fruit flies (Drosophila) in Hawaii alone!"*

Yep. A species is defined as a reproductively isolated population. You'll never see polar bear genes mingling with brown bear genes in the wild. So they continue to diverge. This is the fourth carnivore return to marine envirionments, and these bears are probably going to found an incredible line of predators if they survive to become a completely marine animal. (the others are, in decreasing order of adaptation, seals, sea lions, and sea otters)

Barbarian observes:
Humans and Chimps, for example can probably form a fetus, but it would not survive.

Then I would contend that humans and chimps are not a seperate species. Of course, I would also doubt very much that they could create even a zygote. Otherwise, we would have already seen something of the sort - people do d-u-m-b things sometimes...

What makes you think they haven't? Remember, there would be a rather early spontaneous abortion.

Perhaps you could educate me by explaining to me finally (I have neve been able to find it) what exactly triggers sperm of one organism to unite with an egg of another, but other organism's sperm will not.

In primitive deuterostomes, like sea urchins, there are bindins that mediate the connection. In them, the bindins are different and don't work between species. On the other hand, guppies show that sperm from other species can fertilize eggs, but not as well as those of males of the same species. For extremely close species like humans and chimps, I bet it works fine. The problem is that through a fusion, humans have one less pair of chromosomes than a chimp, dooming any fetus in fairly short order.

I'm assuming it's something to do with the chemical make-up of the egg's surface - I've been told it's something like a key.

Yep. One of the researchers in the field is a feminist (forget the name). But she was put off by the "sperm coming and taking the egg" descriptions, so she wrote her paper from the "egg lures in the sperm and engulfs it" POV.

Funny stuff.

Referring to chihuahuas and great danes:

It's been done. There used to be a site with one, but the link is now broken.

We've had a bit of miscommunication - I understand that the two can produce offspring, thus why I see them as within the same species. I'm just saying that the likelihood of them doing so naturally (without any human effort) is insanely minimal and thus, by some scientists' definition of species, they should be a different species. Why should chihuahuas and great danes be treated any differently than great danes and grey wolves - I see no difference is relation.

The ones on the far northern and far southern ends of the range can't interbreed, but they can interbreed with the ones in between. So, for now, leopard frogs are still one species. If for any reason the middle populations get eliminated, or northern or southern ones evolve further, we will have speciation.

Question - are the north and south fertile and simply do not breed or can they absolutely not produce offspring? In my mind, if they could create offspring and just do not due to behavior or physical restraints, then they should be the same species regardless of the middle range population.

Coyotes don't mind urban environments. They've become a problem. They see chihuahuas as coyote chow.

Granted. But they could theoretically mate. BTW, I hate urban sprawl.

Foxes, wild dogs, and jackels seem to have diverged long enough to make them completely infertile.quote]

I think I just read something where jackels could reproduce with dogs - and as far as I am aware, so can wild dogs. Foxes on the other hand I would say are of a different "min" (I finally found the word translated as "kind" in Genesis :) ), you would say it is a different evolved species, you say potato I say potatoe.

[quote:ab3f2]Dogs and grey wolves have evolved apart in a geological instant.

But they really haven't evolved, have they? I mean, it's probable that they won't interbreed, but then again, they could. There's some morphological difference, but hey that exists within any population too. Where's the macroevolution there? I see no speciation... or mination either.

A cross would not be viable in the wild. They would overheat on land (polar bears overheat if they run for any distance, even in winter) and they would not be able to swim and survive in arctic waters. So you'll never get a cross that lives, outside of zoos.

Doesn't matter to me. Only criterium that matters to me is whether or not they can produce. That is the only way to say scientifically that there is absolutely no way they can exchange genes.

Yep. A species is defined as a reproductively isolated population. You'll never see polar bear genes mingling with brown bear genes in the wild.

And that's a problem that I have with the classification of species - I disagree with that. And never say never... weirder things have happened.

What makes you think they haven't? Remember, there would be a rather early spontaneous abortion.

I suspect that we would have heard about that by now... but I've never heard anything about it - not even in the tabloids. Anywho, there's sure to be a practicing tribe in the world today having sex with chimps, the human race never ceases to amaze me, and we'd have heard.

For extremely close species like humans and chimps, I bet it works fine.

I bet it doesn't. I bet neither of us wants to try and find out. Maybe somebody else already has... I'll check.

But she was put off by the "sperm coming and taking the egg" descriptions, so she wrote her paper from the "egg lures in the sperm and engulfs it" POV.
[/quote:ab3f2]

Being one of the last few "equal in value, different in abilities" (I gotta find a name for that), I'll just call it uniting between the two. The sperm doesn't have to crack it and the egg doesn't have to eat it... we can just all be friends. Kumbaya.

BL

Sorry if this has been asked and answered before. I'm trying to understand evolution at the organic (?) level in this manner:

As I understand reproduction, the "child" inherits a set of genes, each element (gene?) of which can be found in one or the other parent. The number of genes in the child is the same as in either parent, but the make-up of gene combinations (and position in the genome?) may differ from that of either parent, however no "new" gene is introduced into the child. Is this correct?

And "evolution" suggests that new genes are introduced somehow in a child (on occasion) that neither parent possesses. Is that a correct representation?

Forgive me if I've stated it incorrectly - just my ignorance.

Finally, how does the above relate to speciation?

As I understand reproduction, the "child" inherits a set of genes, each element (gene?) of which can be found in one or the other parent. The number of genes in the child is the same as in either parent, but the make-up of gene combinations (and position in the genome?) may differ from that of either parent, however no "new" gene is introduced into the child. Is this correct?

Yes, that's mostly correct. Humans, like almost all animals, are diploid. That is, they have two of each chromosome. During meiosis, when the sperm or eggs are formed, each sperm or egg cell gets only one of each, so they are "haploid".

The important thing is that most human genes have many different forms. The different forms of a particular gene are called "alleles". So most of us have two different alleles for the same gene. Palomino horses, (yellow) are an example. One allele for coat color is white, and the other is red. Neither is dominant, so the coat is an intermediate color. Other times, one allele will be dominant, and will determine a characteristic, while the other is not expressed.

If both parents have two different alleles for a gene and none of them are the same, there could be four possible combinations of alleles for any child born to them, for that gene alone. One source of evolutionary change, as this might suggest to you, is recombination.

And "evolution" suggests that new genes are introduced somehow in a child (on occasion) that neither parent possesses. Is that a correct representation?

Sometimes. Obviously, there are new alleles mutating constantly. Most of them don't do very much. A few are harmful, and a very few are useful. Natural selection tends to remove the harmful ones, and make the useful ones more prevalent. If this goes on for a time, the useful mutation can be "fixed", i.e. become the gene for every individual in the population.

How common is mutation? Not very, on a gene-by-gene comparison. But humans have so many genes, that most of us have a few alleles that neither of our parents had. How common is it to have an auto accident? Most of us get through any given year without one. On the other hand, they happen very frequently in a large city.

Forgive me if I've stated it incorrectly - just my ignorance.[/quiote]

I hope this helped.

[quote:e78a6]Finally, how does the above relate to speciation?
[/quote:e78a6]

If any mutation, or recombination of alleles keeps individuals from producing viable offspring with other members of the population, speciation has occurred. Typically, it seems that geographic isolation of a small subpopulation is the trigger; the subpopulation evolves sufficiently that it is no longer interfertile with the main population. (allopatric speciation) However, research has shown that speciation can occur in a population without geographic isolation. (sympatric speciation)

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back