Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Facts about the book of James

Facts about the book of James:
Note; All scriptures are from the NKJ Bible:

Everyone should be familiar with what James wrote in James 2:20-24
20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead?
21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar?
22* You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did.
23* And the scripture was fulfilled that says, "Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness," and he was called God's friend.
24 You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone.

The above is used by many to show that true faith must be accompanied by works if it is true faith.

Let us explore what James wrote to see if his conclusions are based on facts.

Genesis 15:4-6
4 And behold, the word of the LORD came to him, saying, "This one shall not be your heir, but one who will come from your own body shall be your heir."
5 Then He brought him outside and said, "Look now toward heaven, and count the stars if you are able to number them." And He said to him, "So shall your descendants be."
6 And he believed in the LORD, and He accounted it to him for righteousness.

In the above we see that God accounted Abraham as righteous solely for his faith in His Promises, and not by anything that He did.* This event happened many years before Isaac was born. Paul accurately reports this.

It is a fact that James is using Genesis 22 to base his conclusions. However, it seems that James did not consider the account in Genesis 15.* James conclusions are based on the account given in Genesis 22, many years after Isaac was born, when Abraham was well over 100 years old, and he agreed to offer Isaac.
Okay, let us look at the facts:

It is a fact that nowhere does the OT Scripture say that Abraham "was called God's friend" BECAUSE he was willing to offer up his son Isaac. In Isaiah 41:8 it states that God called Abraham His friend but nowhere in the context of the chapter does He say it was because Abraham offered up his son Isaac. Nor does it say in Genesis 22 that Abraham was accounted as righteous BECAUSE he offered up his son Isaac.

What James wrote, as shown above, is a direct contradiction of the Gospel that Paul taught and the account given in Genesis 15:4-6. Abraham was righteous before God solely because he believed God’s promises.

In my opinion, based on the facts, the book of James is devoid of the gospel of grace as taught by Paul. Here are some facts that support my opinion. I find them interesting.

1. The word “Law†is found in 18 places
2. The word “grace†is found in 2 places
3. The word “Christ†is found in 2 places
4. The word “Justified†is found in 2 place with the words “by works†after them
5. The words “by faith†is found 1 time (justified by works and not by faith only)

6. The word “cross†is not found
7. The word “reconciled†is not found
8. The word “sanctified†is not found
9. The word “saved†is not found
10. The words “in Christ†are not found

Romans 4:1-7 Abraham Justified by Faith (Genesis 17:10)
1 What then shall we say that Abraham our father has found according to the flesh?
2 For if Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about, but not before God.
3 For what does the Scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness."
4 Now to him who works, the wages are not counted as grace but as debt.

David Celebrates the Same Truth

5 But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness,
6 just as David also describes the blessedness of the man to whom God imputes righteousness apart from works:
7 "Blessed are those whose lawless deeds are forgiven, And whose sins are covered;
NKJV

So what do we do with the book of James? Should it be in the Bible? --- Of course it should. It was written to the believing Jews; JAMES Greeting to the Twelve Tribes; James 1:1 James, a bondservant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, To the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad: Greetings. --- The above is a fact. It was written to the believing Jews who were still under the law of Moses. --- to apply what James said to the grace church that is under Paul’s gospel of grace is wrong.

Now will come those who will refuse to discuss the facts as presented above but will try to marginalize and demonize me for having the audacity to say the above. But facts are facts and truth is truth.

Facts about the book of James:
Note; All scriptures are from the NKJ Bible:

Your entire premise is wrong, because it is based upon the idea that there are two different gospels. There is not two gospels. Luther was grievously mistaken.

Jesus does not speak of two different Gospels, nor is the foundation of the Law done away with. Jesus continues to preach that we are to love God and neighbor - the heart of the Law. Even in the OT, we see the "Gospel of Grace", as numerous citations, esp. in the Psalms, discusses God's loving mercy and unconditional love for His People, those who live by faith.

There is one Gospel, it is Grace given to men to enable them to obey the Law of Love. We can trace this back all the way to Abraham, preceding the Mosaic Law, as God gave Abraham faith completely as a gift, and that response of Abraham was to obey God.

Regards

Should we listen to you and your interpretations rather than the Word of God? Do you think you understand the Old Testament better than the apostles? God ispired what they wrote. Is your iterpretation more inspired than their words? Do you have any idea how big a claim you're making when you say that the Bible is wrong and you're right?

I hear where you are coming from. I do. In fact I studied it hard one time myself. I believe the book of James to be written 'primarily' to unregenerate people. Not directly, or even intentionally, but in the wisdom of God, it seems to touch on points that people, who think they are believers, would stumble on. I think God uses him to speak harshly to bring about repentance, to remind those who are being tempted to turn away, and even to encourage those who are holding to the truth.

I do not think that it is wrong to be in the Bible. I think it fits in just perfectly. I believe that it has to be held within the context of the rest of the New Testament writings or else it can seem to contradict them. I can see no heresy or untruthful words spoken.

The first 18 verses of the book speak directly to the Gospel message found throughout the New Testament. Verse 18 directly speaks to the sovereignty of God and how we are "brought forth", not by works, but by "His own will". So if a person was not taking what he said in the light of all writings, they could make the argument that he contradicts himself in the letter.

Just something to think about.

So what do we do with the book of James? Should it be in the Bible? --- Of course it should. It was written to the believing Jews; JAMES Greeting to the Twelve Tribes; James 1:1 James, a bondservant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, To the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad: Greetings. --- The above is a fact. It was written to the believing Jews who were still under the law of Moses. --- to apply what James said to the grace church that is under Paul’s gospel of grace is wrong.

James was an Apostle. If you take James' words as inspired of God (which most normal believers would,) then all of the words of James are for ALL believers and even ALL mankind. The instant you start making differentials between Jews and Gentiles for Word applicability that methodology opens up all kinds of other issues that are really not neccessary or required. In Christ there is NEITHER and we are to know NO MAN after the flesh (read-geneology) in any case, not even JESUS.

Now will come those who will refuse to discuss the facts as presented above but will try to marginalize and demonize me for having the audacity to say the above. But facts are facts and truth is truth.

Another fact is that there can be multiple truths simultaneously available and legitimate. I find no differences between James and Paul whatsoever. Those who think they see such differences have merely imposed a subjective viewing lense. There are a multitude of understandings to legitimately HARMONIZE them without such gyrations.

enjoy!

smaller

Read the book through in several different translations. Study the Greek words used, and you might have a different opinion about it afterwards.

For example, "Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered up his son Isaac on the alter?". The word "justified" could mean to 'declare one righteous', but it also has the meaning of 'to show, exhibit, evince, one to be righteous, such as he is and wishes himself to be considered'.

Abraham believed God, and because that belief was real, and not just a half hearted one, he did what he did. So now we can see, from what he did, that he was justified, or in other words, that his faith was real.

Abraham's faith that "imputed righteousness" was NOT that he would have a son, but that God would give him a son.

Abraham's faith was truly 'working', or 'to put forth power together with and thereby to assist', with his 'action' to offer up Isaac, thereby nullifying the fact that he[Abraham] had anything to do with having this son. His faith was doing the work, not him. Faith is a gift from God.

You have to read the account in Hebrews to fully grasp this, "He considered that God was able to even raise him from the dead, from which, figuratively speaking, he did receive him back". ESV Hebrews 11:19

Words have meanings for a reason. We have very few words that we use in the English language compared to the number of ones used in the Greek. It makes a real difference when you look at the definitions, ant the root words they come from, of the words used, because they vary greatly than what we think they are at times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Works are the natural output of true faith; not works of ourselves but works of God.

1 John 2:3-5 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. 4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5 But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.

Galatians 5:16-25 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would. 18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law. 19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, 21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. 24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. 25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

James was an Apostle. If you take James' words as inspired of God (which most normal believers would,) then all of the words of James are for ALL believers and even ALL mankind. The instant you start making differentials between Jews and Gentiles for Word applicability that methodology opens up all kinds of other issues that are really not neccessary or required. In Christ there is NEITHER and we are to know NO MAN after the flesh (read-geneology) in any case, not even JESUS.

Another fact is that there can be multiple truths simultaneously available and legitimate. I find no differences between James and Paul whatsoever. Those who think they see such differences have merely imposed a subjective viewing lense. There are a multitude of understandings to legitimately HARMONIZE them without such gyrations.

enjoy!

smaller

The Holy Spirit told James who his writings were to be addressed to in James 1:1. Your saying it is to all Christians is your words, not the Holy Spirit's words. Or are you saying the Holy Spirit got it wrong?

The facts that I presented stand as correct since no one has been able to say otherwise. Paul points to a time (Gen. 15) where Abraham was declared (accounted) righteous, SOLELY, because he believed God's promises and James points to a time when Abraham did a work.

The most debated idea on Christian forums is the idea of works. James is at the center of these debates. The problem is that the Christian religion blends what James said with what Paul said and in doing so destroys what each of them said.

Are Christians saved (accounted as righteous before God) because they believe what Jesus did on the cross saves them or by what man does? --- With Paul it is the cross and with James it is by what man does. --- It is that simple. It is not by both. God will not share His Son's glory with man.

To many this indicates that there were (past tense) two gospels being preached in the book of Acts. I am one of these. One only has to read Acts 21:20-21 and compare verse 21 with what Paul was teaching in Galatians 5:3-6 and realize that the believing Jews were only upset with Paul. If James and the elders were teaching what Paul was teaching in Galatians 5:3-6 then wouldn't they be mad at James too?

Some (on another forum) are saying that Paul got permission to preach from James and the Elders. But this idea is not supported in scriptures. Jesus ordained Saul on the road to Damascus and changed his name to Paul.

Galatians 1:11-17
Call to Apostleship (cf. Acts 9:1-25) 11 But I make known to you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached by me is not according to man.
12 For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but it came through the revelation of Jesus Christ.
13 For you have heard of my former conduct in Judaism, how I persecuted the church of God beyond measure and tried to destroy it.
14 And I advanced in Judaism beyond many of my contemporaries in my own nation, being more exceedingly zealous for the traditions of my fathers.
15 But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb and called me through His grace,
16 to reveal His Son in me, that I might preach Him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately confer with flesh and blood,
17 nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me; but I went to Arabia, and returned again to Damascus.
NKJV

Paul taught no differently than James:

Galatians 6:7
Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

Paul and James seem IDENTICAL to the above measure.

The only bickering involved is when people say that their faith without works 'saves them.' It may seem that FAITH without SOWING involves ZERO reaping.

Mere internal mental assent does not equate to sowing or working 'faith.' I may agree that the evidence of faith is works of same and that without same works, it is then FAITH is DEAD.

Paul was also clear that one can HAVE FAITH and still be AS NOTHING without the corresponding LOVE that faith works through.

One can be an internal mental assent faith believing pawn of the devil simultaneously.

smaller

The Holy Spirit told James who his writings were to be addressed to in James 1:1. Your saying it is to all Christians is your words, not the Holy Spirit's words. Or are you saying the Holy Spirit got it wrong?

And as many more believers try to make the same case that the Old Testament LAW is only for the ancient people of the nation of Israel.

The POINT about ALL WORD OF GOD can only be fully understood by the Words of Jesus in these matters, and if you take James' words as GOD INSPIRED, then the same principle applies:

Matthew 4:4
But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Luke 4:4
And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.

IF you say that the words of James are only those of A MAN and not GOD INSPIRED then you'd have a point, but most believers do not adhere to that understanding.

Paul AFFIRMS the words of James right here:

Eph. 2:

19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;
21 In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord

enjoy!

smaller

Unfortunately you are correct, the idea of works is a big topic. It is the basis of SIN. The idea that we can be like God.

Paul and James do not contradict each other, however. They just have different styles of presentation.

Paul was called to bring reconciliation to the Gentiles.

James was obviously called to do so with the Jews.

They both present the same Gospel, they admonish their readers differently.

James 1:25, "But the one who looks into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and perseveres, being no hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing".

If he was trying to preach another Gospel, which in reality there is none, then he would have not of referred to the Law as the "Law of Liberty". There is only one Law of Liberty, and it is Christ.

The law of "liberty" means just that, freedom from having to perform. If James was speaking of a different law, if he was speaking of the law, the ten commandments, would he have referred to it as the "law of liberty"? Where else is the Ten Commandments referred to as such?

The facts that I presented stand as correct since no one has been able to say otherwise.

You must be kidding, everyone disagrees with you on your take of James...

Paul points to a time (Gen. 15) where Abraham was declared (accounted) righteous, SOLELY, because he believed God's promises.

Where does Genesis 15 say "solely" or "faith alone"?

And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness. Gen 15:6

It doesn't say anything about DENYING that Abram did works. It says NOTHING about faith v works. To the contrary, the NEXT VERSE says something different:

And he said unto him, I am the LORD that brought thee out of Ur of the Chaldees, to give thee this land to inherit it Gen 15:7

Clearly, Abram believed and did well before Genesis 15...

Genesis 15 is not only speaking about merely an assent of the will and desires in the heart, but also considers that Abram picked up and left his land to follow God's command. Thus, there most certainly was a work taking place, a work of obedience moved by faith inspired by God within Abram. In the immediately following verse, the Lord reminds Abram of this very act by which Abram was first considered righteous in God's eyes. This was Abram's first encounter with God - and Abram obeyed in faith, trusting in the promise that God made.

James points to a time when Abraham did a work.

Abram's faith was lively, thus, works were taking place even before the sacrifice on the altar.

The most debated idea on Christian forums is the idea of works. James is at the center of these debates. The problem is that the Christian religion blends what James said with what Paul said and in doing so destroys what each of them said.

Only because of your incorrect understanding of the Gospel where Law is pitted against Grace. Paul was not against obeying God and doing good. We see it in every one of his epistles.

Are Christians saved (accounted as righteous before God) because they believe what Jesus did on the cross saves them or by what man does? --- With Paul it is the cross and with James it is by what man does.

Not at all. Paul clearly says that evil men will not inherit the kingdom of God. Galatians says this, in the very same "favorite work" of classical reformers. Apparently, chapter 3 has more value than chapter 5 to these men. Paul and James preach the same gospel because the same Spirit inspires them to write, but from different points of view. The Spirit is not pitting one human writer against another in Sacred Scriptures.

It is that simple. It is not by both. God will not share His Son's glory with man.

You are incredibly misinformed.

THAT IS THE POINT OF THE GOSPEL IN THE FIRST PLACE!!! We become saved as we are "in Christ", as we become part of Him.

It is amazing to me that some have reduced the Gospel so drastically to overlook the KEY POINT of God becoming man!

Regards

Should we listen to you and your interpretations rather than the Word of God? Do you think you understand the Old Testament better than the apostles? God ispired what they wrote. Is your iterpretation more inspired than their words? Do you have any idea how big a claim you're making when you say that the Bible is wrong and you're right?

Oh that is great! I did not say the Bible is wrong. I said the use of the scriptures I gave is wrong. But I realize you have your motive for saying what you did.

And as many more believers try to make the same case that the Old Testament LAW is only for the ancient people of the nation of Israel.

The POINT about ALL WORD OF GOD can only be fully understood by the Words of Jesus in these matters, and if you take James' words as GOD INSPIRED, then the same principle applies:

Matthew 4:4
But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Luke 4:4
And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.

IF you say that the words of James are only those of A MAN and not GOD INSPIRED then you'd have a point, but most believers do not adhere to that understanding.

Paul AFFIRMS the words of James right here:

Eph. 2:

19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;
21 In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord

enjoy!

smaller

Fantastic! When are you going to start construction of your ARK.

You are arguing a strawman. I am not the one that is saying that the words of God are not correct. You are when you add words from another part of the scriptures to alter the words in another.

Oh that is great! I did not say the Bible is wrong. I said the use of the scriptures I gave is wrong. But I realize you have your motive for saying what you did.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood you. I assure you I have no "motive". But if you didn't say that the Bible is wrong, what did you mean by this?

Let us explore what James wrote to see if his conclusions are based on facts.

Sounds like you're implying that James's conclusions were wrong. And since James is in the Bible, doesn't that imply that the Bible, or at least part of it, is wrong?

it seems that James did not consider the account in Genesis 15.

Isn't that implying that James is wrong?

What James wrote, as shown above, is a direct contradiction of the Gospel that Paul taught

If there's a contradiction, then either James or Paul must be wrong. How can you have a contradiction without claiming that part of the Bible is wrong?

In my opinion, based on the facts, the book of James is devoid of the gospel of grace

Is it your opinion that Jame didn't understand the gospel as well as you do?

I'm sorry if I misunderstood you. I assure you I have no "motive". But if you didn't say that the Bible is wrong, what did you mean by this?

Sounds like you're implying that James's conclusions were wrong. And since James is in the Bible, doesn't that imply that the Bible, or at least part of it, is wrong?

Isn't that implying that James is wrong?

If there's a contradiction, then either James or Paul must be wrong. How can you have a contradiction without claiming that part of the Bible is wrong?

Is it your opinion that Jame didn't understand the gospel as well as you do?

It is my conclusion that James was writing to the Jews who were still under the Law of Moses. James was correct in that the views he wrote were the views under the Law of Moses. His writing was not directed to the Gentile grace church. If it was then the Holy Spirit failed to have him say so. It is man that says it is also written to the grace church. God did not say it was. People say they believe every word in the scriptures and then they disbelieve what James said in his first sentence James 1:1. So tell me, aren't you implying that James 1:1 is wrong???

It is my conclusion that James was writing to the Jews who were still under the Law of Moses. He was correct in that the views he wrote were the views under the Law of Moses. His writing was not directed to the Gentile grace church. If it was then the Holy Spirit failed to have him say so. It is man that says it is also written to the grace church. God did say it was. People say they believe every word in the scriptures and then they disbelieve what James said in his first sentence James 1:1. So tell me, aren't you implying that James 1:1 is wrong???

Certain parts of the Bible, especially the New Testament, were originally written to a limited group of people. It is my belief, as well as that of most other Christians, that the whole Bible is, nonetheless, aplicable to all Christians. Using your logic, we would have to conclude that Pauls letters were only aplicable to Christians living in specific cities (some of which no longer exist), because that's who they were written to. Luke's Gospel and the Book of Acts are addressed to one specific person. Does that mean that they were only aplicable to him? I think the answer is obvious. Saying that Galatians applies to everybody but James doesn't, when both were originally addressed to limited groups, is inconsistant.

Fantastic! When are you going to start construction of your ARK.

Point being there are multiple ways to skin a cat and just as many to view the scriptures.

You are arguing a strawman. I am not the one that is saying that the words of God are not correct. You are when you add words from another part of the scriptures to alter the words in another.

I altered nothing. Your strawman is trying to erect barriers between Apostles teachings when no such things exist.

Matthew 21

28 But what think ye? A certain man had two sons; and he came to the first, and said, Son, go work to day in my vineyard.
29 He answered and said, I will not: but afterward he repented, and went.
30 And he came to the second, and said likewise. And he answered and said, I go, sir: and went not.
31 Whether of them twain did the will of his father? They say unto him, The first.

Back