Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Flu Shots

Will you get a flu shot this year?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Unsure

• Allergic to eggs (can't get the shot)

• Already got mine

• Total voters

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Nikki

I had not planned on getting one, but after seeing how packed the sick clinic at work was today, I'm having second thoughts. I don't like flu shots because I always come down with something soon after getting one and I also know that it doesn't protect against all strains of the flu. Knowing me, I'd end up with the strain that it doesn't protect against.

I live in New Zealand, and we already had our "flu shot season" a few months back. The shots are free for students so I could have got one easily, but I never ended up doing it. So... no, I won't/didn't get my flu shot this year. Hehe. I wasn't effected too badly by sickness anyway. I'll probably get it next year, though.

Every year, they act like we're going to have this major pandemic and maybe they're right. We probably WILL have one eventually, but I personally feel that the public is OVER vaccinated. I also don't like the thought of getting something put in me that may not even work. I know the flu shots don't contain a live virus, but I always get sick soon after getting the shot and usually feel worse than when I get the actual flu. It just hasn't done anything for me to gain my trust in the vaccine.

Nikki,
My personal opinion is that getting a flu shot is a bit like drinking a beer to keep from getting drunk on whiskey...
drinks.gif

I don't think I have had a flu shot since they are mandatory (liek kdis 0-6 or something idunno)

I rarely get sick, and when I do it doesn't stop me from doing anything, I just feel slothy and i drip from my nose a lot. I also accidently gave my girlfriend bronchitus which lasted 3 months :-(

I only see a reason to get one if it will cause other problems. Like the chronically ill, or the elderly.

If you eat healthily and take the right vitamins and stuff you should be able to avoid sicknesses like that anyway.

I got mine on Saturday.. Come on people, not everyone gets sick from having a Flu shot.. I been getting a flu shot for years, and I don't get sick. Yes I believe nutrition is very important, and I eat right, and I have a workout routine because I am a boxer. However, I never pass up a free flu shot.. Oh BTW I also hate needles, that's my phobia..

KnarfKS said:
I only see a reason to get one if it will cause other problems. Like the chronically ill, or the elderly.

Do you have to sign a waiver at work for refusing the vaccine? They make all employees at the hospital and doctor offices sign a waiver. If we get the shot and still get sick, we'll get paid for any time lost. If we DON'T get the shot and get sick, then we don't get paid for any time lost.

No, I won't get one. Overall, we tend to be pretty healthy by the grace of God, and we only tend to be in public places 6-10 times a month during this season. Church, the grocery store, and the feed store a few times a month, but we tend not to do too many extras during the winter season.

This year we have less homegrown type foods, other than our milk, eggs, butter, and a few canned jellies, and veggies. So, I hope we will still do well. We also take organic grasses, and other such products, to keep nutrients in our bodies so maybe they will finally be worth their money this year. :-?

I had the flu in 2003, and so did all three of my children. It was the first time I had it in years, and the first time my children ever had it...they haven't had it since.

If I worked in the medical field (at a hospital) maybe I would consider it, if it tended to work in my system pretty well. If it actually made me sick, I would just go without it. I can get sick on my own. :-D

The Lord bless all of you.

Lovely,

Do you tke specific vitamins? I have a VERY weak immune system. I always have. As a child, I was always sick and as an adult, I still manage to pick up every illness I'm exposed to. I take a multivitamin, but that's it. Not that I'm working around so many sick people, I've been sick three times already (I've been doing this job for 5 weeks now). I'm hoping my immune system will build up.

No, I will not get one. I have never had one, and I don't get sick very often. I can not remember the last time that I upchucked...............but that may be my memory! :biggrin

Nikki wrote:
Lovely,

Do you tke specific vitamins? I have a VERY weak immune system. I always have. As a child, I was always sick and as an adult, I still manage to pick up every illness I'm exposed to. I take a multivitamin, but that's it. Not that I'm working around so many sick people, I've been sick three times already (I've been doing this job for 5 weeks now). I'm hoping my immune system will build up.

Hi Nikki,

I do. I use two that are Garden of Life products. I have some health issues, and I tend to be very weak. I try to eat only good things, but that alone does not seem to be enough. I take a living multi from them, which is organic, and made from whole supergreen foods. I also take a probiotic formula called primal defense, it's basically healthy bacteria. :o I started taking them about two years ago after years of battling a sickness. After my daughter was born, I was afraid that carrying her had finally pushed my body to a point where I would never regain my health again. A friend told me about these specific two, and they helped me a great deal. I can tell when I do not take them now. I know my health has improved, and that these two supplements have helped. I can work without feeling as if I am always in need of a rest...though I still do have to rest in the afternoon for a while some days. I hope you find something. I like these, but there may be better ones, I don't know. I am very thankful to have them. The Lord bless you.

No--- I don't get them. Once when I got it, I was sicker than a dog all winter long with cold after cold. A pretty big change for someone who was not on an antibiotic for 14 years previously. I reasoned that one does not go from healthy to a medical basket case overnight (then as the years progressed without the flu shot, I saw myself getting gradually stronger and stronger again with less and less colds)

They say that the flu shot are dead viruses and won't give you the flu. I agree, but what I think happened in my case was that my immune system got overburdened with deadbeat viruses and then when other similar ones came along, I had no resistance. It's like sending your soldiers to fight another enemy and then getting attacked from behind by a second one.

Maybe if I got the shot year-by-year, I'd become more resistant and this would eventually not happen. But why suffer with sicknesses in the meantimes and make myself miserable, especially in light of the fact that based on what they describe flu symptoms as being, I don't suspect I ever had that in my life? So why inoculate against something I never pick up anyway? Makes no sense in my case.

Thought I'd bump this. My daughter got sick last night suddenly with fever, sore throat and headache. I'm thinking a virus or strep throat.

After many tests, they finally do a nasal swab for the flu. I was SHOCKED that it came back positive for type A.

Have my feelings changed? No. I still feel that too many people are over vaccinated. I remember as a kid getting the flu often. It was common.

The pediatrician flat out told me that I was a "bad mom". Yes, he used those exact words. He said we will probably all get it, so he prescribed Tamiflu for all of us.

I feel bad that my daughter actually got it and is sick. I pray that she easily and quickly gets over it.

A least I know I'm not the only "bad mom" though.
:-?

Well I'm sorry about your daughters sickness. I pray she gets well soon. Remember I got the flu shot back acouple of months ago, and well I have not got sick yet. All my friends, my Church, people I work with all have. I'm still kicking strong... -Knock on wood-

Nikki said:
Thought I'd bump this. My daughter got sick last night suddenly with fever, sore throat and headache. I'm thinking a virus or strep throat.

After many tests, they finally do a nasal swab for the flu. I was SHOCKED that it came back positive for type A.

Have my feelings changed? No. I still feel that too many people are over vaccinated. I remember as a kid getting the flu often. It was common.

The pediatrician flat out told me that I was a "bad mom". Yes, he used those exact words. He said we will probably all get it, so he prescribed Tamiflu for all of us.

I feel bad that my daughter actually got it and is sick. I pray that she easily and quickly gets over it.

A least I know I'm not the only "bad mom" though.
:-?

No Nikki, you're not a "bad mom". You took her to the doctor and still care for her. I think that your doctor suffers from ICLDSM: Impacted Coleoptera at the lower digestive sphincter muscle because you stand your ground and did not bother with the flu vaccine. Rest assured, had you all gotten the shots and still gotten sick, it still would not be the doctor's or medical establishment's fault and somehow he would have found blame with you elsewhere. It's always the little guy's fault, never the establishment. :lol: :roll:

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back