Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

For God So Loved The World

John 3:16-17: For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

God does not want to condemn the world, He wants people saved. And people think they have to get right before God will love them, but that is not scriptural. Notice, 1 John 4:10 Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. People don't really understand what Jesus has done for them. And He didn't wait for us to get right and do good before he did what he did. God spared not his own son, but delivered him up to pay for our sins (Rom. 8:32). Understand the wages of sin is death (Rom. 6:23). So, what Jesus did was offer himself up to take our place and punishment for our sins. And God's punishment for our sins was put on Jesus. And in our own justice system we have something called double jeopardy and one aspect of it is once the punishment for a crime has been satisfied no other person can be punished for it. So, Jesus took upon himself the wrath of God for us. Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. And when you receive Jesus as your Lord and Savior then what Jesus did is credited to you. John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name. 1 Timothy 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh. And He was manifest in the flesh to reconcile mankind back to himself. God is not looking to turn anyone away, it's not God's will that anyone perish, He wants all to be saved. God's will is to show mercy rather than judgement. Romans 8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. When you receive Jesus then God becomes your Father.

It is not God's will that any should perish. And I wouldn't want to end this article without giving someone the opportunity to receive Jesus as their Lord and Savior. It's very easy just pray: Dear God- I know I have sinned and I now turn from them and I invite Jesus to come into my heart (Revelation 3:20). He died for my sins and you have raised him from the dead and I now confess that Jesus is my Lord and Savior (Romans 10:9,10). I thank you for saving me, Amen

But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name (John 1:12). 1 Timothy 2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. 2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Thank you...but I am curious....

How does Matthew 7:21-23 and Matthew 12:31-32 (KJV) fit into that. In chapter 7 Jesus said there are those who will have claimed to know him; and he will state clearly that he never knew them. In chapter 12, it identifies the "only" unforgiveable Sin.

Speaking of which, anyone have any idea as to why only blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is unforgiveable? Why isn't it the Father, Son and Holy Spirit? I seem to recall one of the Ten Commandments saying...Thou shalt not take the Lord thy God's name in vain.

How does Matthew 7:21-23 and Matthew 12:31-32 (KJV) fit into that. In chapter 7 Jesus said there are those who will have claimed to know him; and he will state clearly that he never knew them. In chapter 12, it identifies the "only" unforgiveable Sin.

Speaking of which, anyone have any idea as to why only blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is unforgiveable? Why isn't it the Father, Son and Holy Spirit? I seem to recall one of the Ten Commandments saying...Thou shalt not take the Lord thy God's name in vain.
Jesus did miracles by the Holy Spirit. To claim it was of a diabolical agent is unforgivable.

Thank you for reading this post. What Matthew 7:21-23 and Matthew 12:31,32 are you referring to.
I did put in (KJV)...the King James Version of the Bible.

I do agree.....God wants all of mankind to repent.....and I believe He would prefer to save all mankind....but he will reject some of those who have claimed to know him.....those who have spoken in the name of Jesus to offer any gift of the Divine

Matthew 7:21-23

21Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

It’s the Spirit of the Father.
There are some Christians who believe the Son was actually the Father....which would indicate the Son was actually the Holy Spirit as well.....I don't follow the logic of that

To me the Holy Spirit is the "life-force" that God does embody....and in mankind we call that the soul.

There are some Christians who believe the Son was actually the Father....which would indicate the Son was actually the Holy Spirit as well.....I don't follow the logic of that

To me the Holy Spirit is the "life-force" that God does embody....and in mankind we call that the soul.
Because of the Holy Spirit, the Son is identified with the Father. He is not the Father but is as the Father.
The Holy Spirit allows him to do the works of the Father.

The unforgivable sin is final
ir-repentance refusing the grace of God and perishing forever!

No forgiveness for that!

There is only one God. Take your three God idea with you.
Not three God’s but three persons!

Your fuzzy logic!

There are millions of people (persons) so there must be millions of natures?

No one human nature millions of people!

Now answer the question

How can there be a sin against the Holy Spirit if the ain’t no Holy spirit in your understanding?

Not three God’s but three persons!

Your fuzzy logic!

There are millions of people (persons) so there must be millions of natures?

No one human nature millions of people!

Now answer the question

How can there be a sin against the Holy Spirit if the ain’t no Holy spirit in your understanding?

Fuzzy logic?
First of all, the word “person” is NOT a biblical term.
It is a term brought into Scripture by the idiotic philosophers who knew nothing of truth.
Anyone with a face is a person.

Last edited by a moderator:

I can't answer for the OP, but I do think I might have some useful things to say about Matthew 7:21-23 and Matthew 12:31-32. Actually, I think, at bottom, both passages speak to the same thing: Disobedience to God's First and Great Commandment.

Matthew 22:35-38
35 And one of them, a lawyer, asked him a question to test him.
36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?”
37 And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.
38 This is the great and first commandment.

At the beginning of the passage in Matthew 7, Jesus says,

Matthew 7:21
21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.

The story Jesus tells is in explication of this point. He described those who were doing all sorts of things in the Lord's name, good things, right things (vs. 22), but none of them were known by the Lord as one of his own. Why? Well, if you're going to make a case for entrance in God's heavenly kingdom on the basis of your good deeds, as those in Jesus's story did, would you not succeed best by pointing out how well you obeyed God's First and Great Commandment? It's the First and Great Commandment of God, after all, the one that is chief among His commands, the one most crucial, therefore, to obey. But those in the story never mention their obedience to it. Odd, that, eh? Very odd.

Matthew 7:21-23 is in the context of Christ commenting upon the Pharisees, who were professionally obedient law-keepers, but whose hearts, Jesus said, were far from God.

Matthew 15:7-8
7 You hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy of you, when he said:
8 “‘This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me;

In the five verses immediately preceding Matthew 7:21-23, Jesus spoke of "false prophets," "ravening wolves clothed as sheep," bearing "bad fruit." (Matthew 7:15-20). These are the ones in view in Jesus's story about those who "do the will of the Father" (or, as the story illustrated, DON'T actually do His will). Though the Pharisees were hyper-careful to obey God's laws, they were actually in constant disobedience to His will, never obeying His First and Great Commandment. And so, they are cast out at the Final Judgment as strangers to the Lord.

God doesn't look on the outward appearance but on the heart (1 Samuel 16:7). And His commands begin there, in a person's heart, not in their conformity outwardly to His law. Many are those claiming to be Christian who externally obey God's commands but who, inwardly, are quite cold to Him, desiring many other things far more than God. Like the Pharisees, these "obedient" "Christians" will one day stand before God as strangers to Him and find themselves cast out from Him. Yikes!

The story recounted in Matthew 12:22-32 where the Pharisees declare that Jesus is acting in the power of the demonic and thus they commit the "unforgivable sin," simply illustrated what Jesus had said about them in Matthew 7:15-23. Their hearts "spoke" when they accused Jesus of exerting demonic power, showing the depth of their antagonism toward their Creator and Lord. And so it is that Jesus repeats his words from Matthew 7:15-20 in Matthew 12:33-37, emphasizing that the Pharisees' sin was unforgivable because it manifested a state of heart that was utterly opposed to God's forgiveness extended to all in Jesus. In other words, the sin of blasphemy of which the Pharisees were guilty revealed hearts unwilling to be forgiven, and so, they were unforgivable.

Back