Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Are you wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

For God So Loved The World

I'm sorry, but I don't believe you can have it both ways.....either sin is forgiven, which means God giving the 10 Commandments was a "mistake"....or the 10 Commandments are correct and some man added the other, so that no one could question him as he stated, "I'm guided by the Holy Spirit".

I don't understand how you're reasoning to your conclusion here. Divine forgiveness is available to all who will take it (under the caveats God sets out) but it is not applied to everyone automatically. How the offer of God's forgiveness makes the Ten Commandments a mistake, I don't understand - and you haven't made clear here. What is the "other" you think might have been added? And who is saying, "Don't question me, I'm guided by the Holy Spirit"?

John 9:1-3 is correct, in a sense.....the man may not have sinned in that life, but that does not mean the soul did not carry sin.

Jesus wasn't speaking "in a sense." He said very plainly that the blindness of the man had nothing to do with his sin, or that of his parents.

John 9:1-3
1 As He passed by, He saw a man blind from birth.
2 And His disciples asked Him, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he would be born blind?"
3 Jesus answered, "It was neither that this man sinned, nor his parents; but it was so that the works of God might be displayed in him.

Very few Churches, and a few Catholic's still believe in rebirth of the soul....even though God has tried to correct that a few times.

There is no rebirth of the soul. Nowhere does this pagan idea find plain and repeated expression in Scripture.

If a man commits suicide in this life; in the next he might be born as a child with cancer. While no one wants to see a child suffer.....the lesson to the soul is to appreciate the life that is given, or it can be very brief and painful.....and the works of God might be displayed in him.

There is no "next life" except that described in Scripture:

Luke 16:19-24
19 “There was a rich man who was clothed in purple and fine linen and who feasted sumptuously every day.
20 And at his gate was laid a poor man named Lazarus, covered with sores,
21 who desired to be fed with what fell from the rich man’s table. Moreover, even the dogs came and licked his sores.
22 The poor man died and was carried by the angels to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried,
23 and in Hades, being in torment, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham far off and Lazarus at his side.
24 And he called out, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus to dip the end of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am in anguish in this flame.’

Hebrews 9:27
27 And inasmuch as it is appointed for men to die once and after this comes judgment,

Psalm 1:5-6
5 Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment, Nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous.
6 For the LORD knows the way of the righteous, But the way of the wicked will perish.

For the specific quote in John 9.....perhaps the soul in the previous life had taken great pleasure in being a peeping tom, therefor loss of his sight......but it was the soul; and not the child or parents who committed the sin at the time the question was put to Jesus

Your imagination doesn't stand on par with God's word. Certainly, pagan notions of rebirth don't. Again, Jesus said very plainly that the blind man's blindness had nothing to do with sin, whatever stories you want to imagine as truth about the man.

To follow my Father, to follow God....is a bit different from what men have done. Men take bits and pieces of the Bible to create their own narrative...to find meaning in some things of the Scriptures that are not clear (confusing).

Some men may do this, but not all. Others understand God's word in its immediate context and then in synthesis with the larger context of all of Scripture, attending to Scripture type (historical account, poetry, prophecy, wisdom literature, etc), pertinent ancient cultural context, and so on in arriving at their understanding of God's word.

In any case, on what grounds do you think you have a Father-God? If you've thrown off the basic, orthodox, biblical doctrine of judgment-after-death for the pagan idea of karmic rebirth, why subscribe to any of God's word, the Bible? As you've done with this one doctrine, why not do the same with all others in Scripture, forming your own personal god who reflects you?

Why think there is a God out there whose Truth you can pick-and-choose as you like, essentially setting yourself over Him (or her, or whatever you imagine God might be)? Do you really want a God who is subject in this way (or in any way) to you? Such a God is no God at all, it seems to me.

In John 10:35 Jesus said the scriptures cannot be broken....then in Matthew 12:31-32 Jesus supposedly said all sin is simply forgiven except for blasphemy of the holy spirt.....but wouldn't that break the 10 Commandments, and make them pointless......I asked a man about this in a different forum, and his response was that old covenant no longer applied.

John 10:35
35 If he called them gods to whom the word of God came—and Scripture cannot be broken—

What did Jesus mean by "the Scripture cannot be broken"? Speaking as he was to the Pharisees, Jesus appealed to the binding authority of Scripture that, as such, could not be set aside, thus forcing the Pharisees to deal with the difficult passage Jesus had put before them (rather than simply dismissing it as they might want to do). Jesus, then, was referring to the authority of God's word that demanded the respect and attention of the Pharisees when he said that the "Scripture could not be broken."

So, what does the divine authority of Scripture have to do with the "unforgivable sin" of Matthew 12? And why do you say that Jesus "supposedly said" what he did about the blasphemy of the Pharisees? As I already pointed out to you, the unforgivableness of the Pharisees' blasphemy was on their side, not God's. They were utterly opposed to Christ, the Way, the Truth and the Life (John 14:6), without whom no divine forgiveness could be obtained (Acts 4:12; 1 Timothy 2:5; 1 John 5:11-12). And so, in rejecting Jesus, the Pharisees cut themselves off from the sole avenue of divine forgiveness. How does their doing so "break the Ten Commandments" and "make them pointless"?

By the way, Jesus did not say that all sin is automatically forgiven by God.

Matthew 12:30-32
30 Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters.
31 Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven people, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.
32 And whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

All sin will be forgiven by God but only under certain circumstances. In other places in the Gospels, Jesus described what these necessary circumstances were:

Matthew 4:17
17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Mark 1:14-15
14 ...Jesus came into Galilee, proclaiming the gospel of God,
15 and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel.”

Matthew 10:32-33
32 So everyone who confesses me before men, I also will confess before my Father who is in heaven,
33 but whoever denies me before men, I also will deny before my Father who is in heaven.

Matthew 6:14-15
14 For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you,
15 but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

So, then, Jesus did not mean to say in Matthew 12:31 that any and all sin receives God's automatic forgiveness thus making the Ten Commandments null and void.

But in my own memories, sin is and has always been punished.

Well, your memories don't trump God's word. Nor do they interpret it. Where your memories properly correspond to God's truth, they have value in understanding God's truth. But where your memories diverge from His truth, they don't have the power or authority to adjust God's truth, making it conform to your memories.

The truth is, your sin has never received from God the punishment it truly deserves - this side of the grave. If you die unrepentant in your sin, however, not having trusted in Christ as your Savior, nor having yielded yourself to him as your Lord, you will encounter for all eternity the true punishment your sin deserves.

The truth is
Thank you for your responses......I am in no way trying to "put words" in God's mouth......I do realize that by speaking in bits of pieces of all that I remember, it does make it more difficult for anyone else to understand.....I have posted a whole lot of what I remember in other threads on this forum....but the cohesive "story" of what I remember is not something I can fully share, yet.....

The whole "Pagan" beliefs.....was given to the people by the Church.....as was many other things.....

When this begins.....the Heavens are going to Light Up......my hope is you will look up, and not look down at that Bible.....the truth of the Angel's will be revealed; whether Christians will accept it or not

Back