Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Found this really odd... from a church website

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

lmw

I was looking up at the local churches' websites. Just seeing if there's one that has some activities I could maybe attend on another night other than Sunday, as my church doesn't really have much else going on during the week.

One church has a form they want you to print out, its a Partnership Covenant they call it. You have to sign it, have an elder of the church sign it, and after that, THEN you can go to their church. And if you decide to not become a member, they want you to notify a leadership member a.s.a.p and tell them why. This struck me as weird, and I closed the website and won't be going to that church.

So much for sneaking in the back of a church to check it out, now I have to print out a form ahead of time?

"Man" is extremely arrogant. I wonder if God the Father and His Son filled out the application.

No worries though, The Father will straighen out the earth and "those who dwell upon it" soon enough.

Blessings,
Dee

From a marketing perspective, it's brilliant.

Personally, I'd prefer people who continue going to a Church because they want to, not through emotional/social blackmail

I can understand where they are coming from, but I found it a little off putting upfront to see a form to sign before even feeling welcome. The church meets in the cafeteria of a local elementary school. It's non-denominational and a lot of 20's-30's go there, so I heard. I think it's a rather large group. I love my church, but like I said, not much going on and Sunday's aren't always easy to get to. And not much going on with small groups either. So I'm just looking around to see what to do.

It makes sense to have a form after you get there, like a "get to know you" type thing. But to have it as a requirement seems strange & I imagine turns others off too.

You should fill it out and not go. :tongue lol I kid, I kid. But I kinda would like to see what they do. Annoy you with emails or break in to your house with sacred agents and kindnap you for an hour or so every sunday and occasionally other days of the week for special events. :tongue

We can't really understand their intentions. However, people should be free to walk into a church without any commitment intially.

We can't really understand their intentions.
We might be able to learn more if we could see the website.

This may sound contrary without explanation, but this may be part of the present movement in the church to draw large numbers into a church. That's why I'm curious. It's a subject that interests me.

The predominant way to do that has been to dumb down the gospel and remove or suppress truths that have the potential to create offense...and give out coffee and doughnuts, lol. But I think it possible that you can potentially achieve the same goal by suggesting that your church is an exclusive gathering of people that only very specifically qualified, and thus privileged, people are allowed to commit to. This is what credit card companies, and car dealers have done in the past. Do you think they do that for the purpose of rejecting potential customers? Hardly. But I'm sure it is also true that they really do want 'good' customers who won't cause problems, just more of them.

However, people should be free to walk into a church without any commitment intially.
Without a doubt. I even think that people are not obligated to ever make a commitment to any one particular body of believers. People should be free to seek the wisdom and guidance and teaching of any of God's appointed leaders for as long or as short a time as they wish without having to commit exclusively to their ministry. And a pastor should be willing to accept that.

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds a little bit weird to me and very invasive. I saw a church a few years ago that said on it's website that if you joined and left and members of the church thought you had gone astray, they would contact your new church and tell them. Stalkerish.......

http://www.newlifechristiancommunity.com/ Is the church. I live 30 miles from it so its not like someone is gonna come and find me from me posting this here lol. Where I live everything is 30 miles away though. :) booooooooooonies

Im sure its a fine and dandy church but I just never came across anything like that before, ever and I've been looking at all the church websites in a 50 mile radius. Am I the weird one finding it odd? Im not saying it is bad, just different, and I'm not a very adventurous person, so that's why I've only been looking and haven't dipped my toes in yet.

I know that, but I am just saying, it seems kind of weird to have a membership form for a church and its the first church around here I saw that has one. I have a nice church, they just don't have any thing going on other than Sundays :sad

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back