Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Bible Study Gen 5

th1b.taylor

Genesis 5

(ASV)

Genesis 5:1:This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him; Genesis 5:2:male and female created he them, and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created. Genesis 5:3: And Adam lived a hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth: Genesis 5:4: and the days of Adam after he begat Seth were eight hundred years: and he begat sons and daughters. Genesis 5:5: And all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years: and he died.

Adam was created a perfect man, capable of living forever, had he eaten of the Tree of Life instead of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and of Evil. It is a thought stiring verse when we pay attention to verse two in this chapter, they were both called Adam. Often, upsetting the Feminist Movement leaning ladies, we use the term “man” for mankind and here I believe, perhaps in ere, that we see the same thing. This line of thought can be diverting of cause focus so be careful with this but this gives Eve three names in the scriptures and sets a trivia point for you to play Bible Drill games with your children and your grandchildren.

When God brought Eve to Adam, he named her Woman. (Gen 2:23) And when God increased their toils, Adam called his wive Eve, the second name. (Gen 3:20) And in verse 2 here we see that they both were called Adam by Father God, the third name for Eve.

Now, to the study. When God created Adam and Eve, they were perfect creations that knew no sin. They were Adult Human Beings and God had charged them with the duty to “replenish the Earth,” or in Twenty and Twenty-first Century English, to fill the Earth with their own kind. I have studied and studied since the first day of my Salvation, Jan. 1, 1990 and I have, to this day, found no reason to believe that Adam and Eve were not normal nor have I ever found it reasonable to believe that these two were not blessed by their God to bear the little treasures that are the fruit of the Marriage Bed.

It is my position that Eve bore Adam offspring before she is recorded, bearing Cain at 130 years of age. And with Adam living to the ace of 930 years, I find it difficult to discern the age of infertility... food for thought.

Genesis 5:6: And Seth lived a hundred and five years, and begat Enosh: Genesis 5:7: and Seth lived after he begat Enosh eight hundred and seven years, and begat sons and daughters: Genesis 5:8: and all the days of Seth were nine hundred and twelve years: and he died. Genesis 5:9: And Enosh lived ninety years, and begat Kenan: Genesis 5:10: and Enosh lived after he begat Kenan eight hundred and fifteen years, and begat sons and daughters: Genesis 5:11: and all the days of Enosh were nine hundred and five years: and he died. Genesis 5:12: And Kenan lived seventy years, and begat Mahalalel: Genesis 5:13: and Kenan lived after he begat Mahalalel eight hundred and forty years, and begat sons and daughters: Genesis 5:14: and all the days of Kenan were nine hundred and ten years: and he died. Genesis 5:15: And Mahalalel lived sixty and five years, and begat Jared: Genesis 5:16: And Mahalalel lived after he begat Jared eight hundred and thirty years, and begat sons and daughters: Genesis 5:17: and all the days of Mahalalel were eight hundred ninety and five years: and he died. Genesis 5:18: And Jared lived a hundred sixty and two years, and begat Enoch: Genesis 5:19: and Jared lived after he begat Enoch eight hundred years, and begat sons and daughters: Genesis 5:20: And all the days of Jared were nine hundred sixty and two years: and he died.

Many are the folks that hate this and the other genealogies found in the scriptures but there are Life Application Lessons to be learned here if we will, just, open our hearts and sell out to God. God created Adam with the ability to live forever, fellowshipping, daily, with the Father. Then the man listened to one of his peers, Eve, and he ruined his life expectancy and only lived 930 years. Not in this chapter, but as we continue our study of God's Word we will learn that God shortened man's life expectancy a couple of more times until, as today, a man should not expect to live more than about seventy good years on this earth.

Genesis 5:21: And Enoch lived sixty and five years, and begat Methuselah: Genesis 5:22: and Enoch walked with God after he begat Methuselah three hundred years, and begat sons and daughters: Genesis 5:23: and all the days of Enoch were three hundred sixty and five years: Genesis 5:24:and Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him.

And here we find the first of two men that have not, to this day, died the first death. Folks were, normally, living 900 or better years before they Passed Over into Eternity but God took Enoch before he died and later in the Bible we see a Fiery Chariot catch up Elijah as Elisha observed the event. There is a great deal of speculation that these two men of God are the Prophets mentioned in the prophecies of the Revelation of Jesus, the Christ.

Genesis 5:25: And Methuselah lived a hundred eighty and seven years, and begat Lamech: Genesis 5:26: and Methuselah lived after he begat Lamech seven hundred eighty and two years, and begat sons and daughters: Genesis 5:27: And all the days of Methuselah were nine hundred sixty and nine years: and he died.

And here we find the oldest man to ever live, Methuselah. And Methuselah, it turns out, is Noah's Granddaddy and is, indirectly, very important to our history. If we can learn nothing else from this chapter, we should learn that although e might never see it, god has a plan for our lives that is important to His Kingdom. God has never made a mistake and you are not one either!

Genesis 5:28: And Lamech lived a hundred eighty and two years, and begat a son: Genesis 5:29: and he called his name Noah, saying, This same shall comfort us in our work and in the toil of our hands, which cometh because of the ground which Jehovah hath cursed. Genesis 5:30: And Lamech lived after he begat Noah five hundred ninety and five years, and begat sons and daughters: Genesis 5:31: And all the days of Lamech were seven hundred seventy and seven years: and he died. Genesis 5:32: And Noah was five hundred years old: and Noah begat Shem, Ham, and Japheth.

Did you catch that? Noah was about 500 years old before he spent 120 years building the Ark for God. Do you suppose Noah ever felt like this will never end? And then, as we prepare for the next chapter, think on it, who comes to mnd when we think of the World Wide Flood? Life Application, can you wait on God?

Do you suppose there was no disease in the world, and that is how they lived so long?

Do you suppose there was no disease in the world, and that is how they lived so long?
Good morning Kevin,
I cannot back it up with scripture so it is just an old man's assumption but yes I do. I do not think this unreasonable because mankind is in a steady and progressive declining condition that I see as having begun with Eve handing that fruit to Adam.

Good morning Kevin,
I cannot back it up with scripture so it is just an old man's assumption but yes I do. I do not think this unreasonable because mankind is in a steady and progressive declining condition that I see as having begun with Eve handing that fruit to Adam.

So sometime undetermined time after Adam ate the apple God made a special creation of bacteria, cancer, and the virus?

Also, It is interesting how you phrase things. We decline because of Eve handing the apple to Adam. Not Adam making a choice what do do. This seems to place blame on Eve erroneously. Why is she to blame for the actions of Adam? I have to head to work. Look forward to reading your reply.

I believe the fruit was a fig. Coverings from the fig tree might give us a clue?

Here is another interesting study on Gen 5. The center of the Bible is always Christ.
NAME ............... Meaning in Hebrew
Adam...................man
Seth.....................appointed
Enosh..................woe,curse,sickness,mortal
Kenan..................sorrow
Mahalalel..............(the) Blessed God
Jared....................Shall come down
Enoch...................Teaching,commencement
Methuselah...........His death shall bring
Lamech................The despairing
Noah.....................rest or comfort

I think the age of infertility would have come very late in their lives. I think they lived so long because they had good genes.

I've always wondered two things.
1. How long was Adam and Eve in the garden before they ate from the tree? A day with The Lord is as a thousand years. I'm not implying millions, but they were with The Lord, perhaps thousands?

2. Were there others in the garden just not mentioned? When Cain was told to leave, we're told of other people he may find while he wanders. Was Adam the first in the garden and the last to be expelled?

Last edited:
Back in the 70s we had a 1 week class with a rabbi who became Christian.... He taught the time in the garden was very short... as in almost immediately. Not saying one way or the other just throwing it out here... :)

I think the age of infertility would have come very late in their lives. I think they lived so long because they had good genes.

I've always wondered two things.
1. How long was Adam and Eve in the garden before they ate from the tree? A day with The Lord is as a thousand years. I'm not implying millions, but they were with The Lord, perhaps thousands?

2. Were there others in the garden just not mentioned? When Cain was told to leave, we're told of other people he may find while he wanders. Was Adam the first in the garden and the last to be expelled?

I don't have a clue as to the length of time Adam was in the garden but...there were others there before him and many there today. It is a spiritual garden that speaks of God's chosen that live for Him.

Genesis 3:24 So He drove out the man; and He placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.

Jesus is the Tree of Life and the way, truth and life. [John 14:6] The flaming sword is truth that keeps the way to life. When we find that way...we have life and abide in the garden.

I don't have a clue as to the length of time Adam was in the garden but...there were others there before him and many there today. It is a spiritual garden that speaks of God's chosen that live for Him.

Genesis 3:24 So He drove out the man; and He placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.

Jesus is the Tree of Life and the way, truth and life. [John 14:6] The flaming sword is truth that keeps the way to life. When we find that way...we have life and abide in the garden.
No, sorry, there is no-one in the Garden of Eden. Adam and Eve were the only humans there and they were kicked out after they sinned.

So sometime undetermined time after Adam ate the apple God made a special creation of bacteria, cancer, and the virus?

Also, It is interesting how you phrase things. We decline because of Eve handing the apple to Adam. Not Adam making a choice what do do. This seems to place blame on Eve erroneously. Why is she to blame for the actions of Adam? I have to head to work. Look forward to reading your reply.
No,
Adam was given the Law, a single statute, but it was Eve tempting him just as Satan tempted Eve but Adam is the one that sinned. As for the virus'and bacteria, I have no reason to believe they were not here all along, serving their purpose in God's plan. We must never loose sight of the truth that God does no live as we do, contained in the Time/Space Continuum.

God was not surprised when Lucifer sinned nor was He taken off guard when Adam chose to follow that beautiful naked woman into the state of sin forsaking his Creator, He knew it would be that way because there is no differance I can see between the Past, the Present and the future to God. I see that things just are in God's vision. The diseases were here all alone and God changed the perfect body to less than perfect, putting us in a continual stay of decline.

That is, again, my view.

No,
Adam was given the Law, a single statute, but it was Eve tempting him just as Satan tempted Eve but Adam is the one that sinned. As for the virus'and bacteria, I have no reason to believe they were not here all along, serving their purpose in God's plan. We must never loose sight of the truth that God does no live as we do, contained in the Time/Space Continuum.

God was not surprised when Lucifer sinned nor was He taken off guard when Adam chose to follow that beautiful naked woman into the state of sin forsaking his Creator, He knew it would be that way because there is no differance I can see between the Past, the Present and the future to God. I see that things just are in God's vision. The diseases were here all alone and God changed the perfect body to less than perfect, putting us in a continual stay of decline.

That is, again, my view.

He didn't know she was naked until after he ate the apple. So why does her nakedness make a difference? She was just Eve.

Back in the 70s we had a 1 week class with a rabbi who became Christian.... He taught the time in the garden was very short... as in almost immediately. Not saying one way or the other just throwing it out here... :)
Thanks for that Reba, I tend to think a Jewish rabbi who became a Christian would know his stuff about Genesis. It gives me a lot to think about.

He didn't know she was naked until after he ate the apple. So why does her nakedness make a difference? She was just Eve.
LOL! I really am tickled. Before I was 2 I knew when or anyone else was naked and Adam was created perfect and not dumb. I'm working here to be plain and not hurt your feelings and for this it is difficult.

The text as it was written, was written for all people for all times. Now I'll try to work this so as not to be suggestive but Adam being a fully mature man was presented with his God created wife, both of them, like the animals, aunatural. Now there is no record for the amount of time they resided in the Garden and at the risk of going off topic, God commanded them to reproduce and to fill the Earth.

So, in the Garden, we have two undressed grown and married adults that have been given a command to do what they, certainly, would have enjoyed doing anyway and after they and any possible children were tossed from the Garden, we know Cain took a, probably, sister to wife. This issue is difficult but what happened when they sinned was the realization of their condition. Not that they did not know they were, like the critters, without clothing, they were not ashamed.

Believe me, Adam knew Eve was naked.

Thanks for that Reba, I tend to think a Jewish rabbi who became a Christian would know his stuff about Genesis. It gives me a lot to think about.
Thanks folks and I try not to debate that issue because there is no basis recorded for either opinion except the issue of God telling Eve the , now, she would suffer pain during birth. I tend to believe the pronouncement meant a good deal to Eve and that she bore at least one offspring before leaving the Garden.

But then, this would not be the first time I have erred.

This is why I don't take the first part of Genesis literally. There are too many questions, and too many conflicts with science...which is our observation of the universe God created. I think it's an explanation of the process by which man fell from grace...or more that it was inevitable. My conclusions tend to draw a lot of fire and require a lot of explanation.........

This is why I don't take the first part of Genesis literally. There are too many questions, and too many conflicts with science...which is our observation of the universe God created. I think it's an explanation of the process by which man fell from grace...or more that it was inevitable. My conclusions tend to draw a lot of fire and require a lot of explanation.........
Tristan,
Before there was revisionism there was a definition of science that in spite of the efforts of Generations X and Y, the present one, still contains the truth. Science is based on fact and that being proven. This makes all theory, even Scientific Theory to not be scientific truth but is still being tested to find truth.

When we examine Genesis 1 through 3 under this lens, the very worst that can be said of these chapters is that they are a Theory, in equal standing with all other Theories. That, however, is of zero concern for the devoted Christian, we live by faith and it is imperative that we remember the instruction Jesus gave the woman at the well. We worship in Truth and Spirit.

Truth in this world has always been contested, as has the Holy Spirit. However, we must begin with the Holy Spirit if we have chosen to follow Jesus and believe Him to be, yet, alive, in Heaven. If we believe this to be truth, then we need to read John 1 paying particular attention to the statement in the first verses. These verses clearly instruct us that there is nothing that was not created by Jesus before He was born in the body of a man.

In the last hundred or so years a new cult has been born that has split into two branches that become incensed at the definition of Christian Cult. These have branched off from Christianity by trashing the Bible Jesus taught from, the Old Testament, a.k.a. the Jewish Bible. For the past twenty-3+ years I have been besieged by New Testament and New Covenant Christians for believing what Jesus taught but, you see, to follow Him, I must. I must believe exactly what Peter, Paul and the other disciples believed and they were just Christians, there was no New Testament. As God/Jesus inspired them, they were writing it.

From these truths, arises, my position that the Bible was and remains the first thirty-nine books and the following twenty-seven are the best and perhaps the only God ordained and God inspired Life Application Commentary. So you see, my position is much contested because without the first thirty-nine being truth, the later twenty-seven have no basis in fact.

There are different ways to understand being naked. After they sinned.....

Genesis 3:21 Unto Adam also and to his wife did the Lord God make coats of skins, and clothed them.

What does that mean? Is it to be seen literally, animal skins to cover a naked man and woman? There are two figurative types of being naked to consider...

1. To be naked, without sin.
2. To be naked, without God.​

Genesis 2:25 And they were both naked [#6174], the man and his wife, and were not ashamed [#954].

#6174 Naked - Naked and bare, (which was their state of being "not ashamed" for they are [naked/without sin] as was Job)....​

Job 1:20-22 Then Job arose, and rent his mantle, and shaved his head, and fell down upon the ground, and worshipped, And said, Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord. In all this Job sinned not, nor charged God foolishly.

#954 Ashamed - confounded, confused, shamed, delayed, dry, long

Adam and Eve were not ashamed...not confused or confounded. They were naked before the Lord as was Job....in worship of the Lord. Stripped of all things that could keep them from Him. They were naked...without sin. 

And then they became...naked:

#5903 Naked - Naked and helpless (as in all three of the following verses)​

Genesis 3:7 And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.

3:10 And he said, I heard Thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself.

3:12 And He said, Who told thee that thou wast naked? Hast thou eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat.

They were then naked...without God after which....​

Genesis 3:21 Unto Adam also and to his wife did the Lord God make coats of skins, and clothed them.

Tristan,
Before there was revisionism there was a definition of science that in spite of the efforts of Generations X and Y, the present one, still contains the truth. Science is based on fact and that being proven. This makes all theory, even Scientific Theory to not be scientific truth but is still being tested to find truth.

When we examine Genesis 1 through 3 under this lens, the very worst that can be said of these chapters is that they are a Theory, in equal standing with all other Theories. That, however, is of zero concern for the devoted Christian, we live by faith and it is imperative that we remember the instruction Jesus gave the woman at the well. We worship in Truth and Spirit.

Truth in this world has always been contested, as has the Holy Spirit. However, we must begin with the Holy Spirit if we have chosen to follow Jesus and believe Him to be, yet, alive, in Heaven. If we believe this to be truth, then we need to read John 1 paying particular attention to the statement in the first verses. These verses clearly instruct us that there is nothing that was not created by Jesus before He was born in the body of a man.

In the last hundred or so years a new cult has been born that has split into two branches that become incensed at the definition of Christian Cult. These have branched off from Christianity by trashing the Bible Jesus taught from, the Old Testament, a.k.a. the Jewish Bible. For the past twenty-3+ years I have been besieged by New Testament and New Covenant Christians for believing what Jesus taught but, you see, to follow Him, I must. I must believe exactly what Peter, Paul and the other disciples believed and they were just Christians, there was no New Testament. As God/Jesus inspired them, they were writing it.

From these truths, arises, my position that the Bible was and remains the first thirty-nine books and the following twenty-seven are the best and perhaps the only God ordained and God inspired Life Application Commentary. So you see, my position is much contested because without the first thirty-nine being truth, the later twenty-seven have no basis in fact.

Science is a method by which we gain knowledge about the natural world. It's the question, not the answer...however we can still gain knowledge from the process. Scientific theories are "the product of a well-substantiated hypothesis that has been adequately corroborated by way of the scientific method. Since the confirmation process of a scientific theory is inherently based on inductive reasoning, a scientific theory cannot be known to be true with absolute certainty; however, the validity of a scientific theory can be inferred with great confidence." (Source) So while we can't know for sure whether or not a theory is 100% true, science is a reliable process for gaining a good understanding of the way our universe works.

I live by faith that what is written in scripture does not conflict with what I see in God's universe. For example I don't believe the world is 6000 years old because we have overwhelming evidence that the world (not even considering the universe) is a lot older (we even have tree ring data going back farther). Am I going to have faith in something that doesn't match the large body of evidence? No. I'm going to adopt a perspective about God and our history that is backed up by our observations. Nothing I believe about Genesis is contrary to what is written in scripture. So yes, I believe that God created the universe, and I believe it was in a Big Bang. In fact, inflation is the term used in Hebrew for "creation". Remember that God created the universe with a word...his breath.

The entire Bible is true, but it's written in a context, and not all of it is to be taken literally. Instead of being a threat to God or my beliefs, I believe that other tools (like science and philosophy) enrich my understanding of God and provide further evidence for his existence and divine providence. I respect your right to believe what you do, I just don't agree.

There are different ways to understand being naked. After they sinned.....

What does that mean? Is it to be seen literally, animal skins to cover a naked man and woman? There are two figurative types of being naked to consider...

1. To be naked, without sin.
2. To be naked, without God.​

Genesis 2:25 And they were both naked [#6174], the man and his wife, and were not ashamed [#954].

#6174 Naked - Naked and bare, (which was their state of being "not ashamed" for they are [naked/without sin] as was Job)....​

Job 1:20-22 Then Job arose, and rent his mantle, and shaved his head, and fell down upon the ground, and worshipped, And said, Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the Lord gave, and the Lord hath taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord. In all this Job sinned not, nor charged God foolishly.

#954 Ashamed - confounded, confused, shamed, delayed, dry, long

Adam and Eve were not ashamed...not confused or confounded. They were naked before the Lord as was Job....in worship of the Lord. Stripped of all things that could keep them from Him. They were naked...without sin. 

And then they became...naked:

#5903 Naked - Naked and helpless (as in all three of the following verses)​

Genesis 3:7 And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.

3:10 And he said, I heard Thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself.

3:12 And He said, Who told thee that thou wast naked? Hast thou eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat.

They were then naked...without God after which....​

What difference does that distinction make

Back