Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Gnosticism and New Age

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
PDoug said:
ChristineES said:
I guess the reason I don't unite with Gnostics (which I have read) is because the teachings are different than what the Bible says and what Jesus taught in the four gospels.
I do not advocate unity with Gnostics. I only advocate recognizing the validity of certain texts labeled as Gnostic – in addition to other texts out there as well.

You are right, some of the texts labeled as Gnostic are not gnostic. I have read many of these texts, but I still haven't finished reading them all.

My statement was directed at Soma's statement wondering why Christians don't unite with Gnostics. :)

PDoug said:
Solo,

You keep ignoring the things that I write, and refuse to have faith correctly and make you own assesment of Gnostic texts. So I will leave you with this:

Gospel of Thomas

(93) "Do not give what is holy to dogs, lest they throw them on the dung-heap...
I don't need the gnostic texts, I have the Word of God.

Solo said:
PDoug said:
Solo,

You keep ignoring the things that I write, and refuse to have faith correctly and make you own assesment of Gnostic texts. So I will leave you with this:

Gospel of Thomas

(93) "Do not give what is holy to dogs, lest they throw them on the dung-heap...
My point also Michael. If God is not the a God of confusion, why do I need "the secrets of God" in order to be saved? Another Gospel is what's being taught here.

Also, what about this? You didn't address this PDoug:

"You exclude all those who are, for whatever reason, incapapable of acheiving knowledge."

How are those people saved if they don't have the capacity to comprehend these so-called secrets in the first place??? Mysteries and secrets have NO bearing on one's Faith and salvation.

vic said:
Solo said:
PDoug said:
Solo,

Gospel of Thomas

My point also Michael. If God is not the a God of confusion, why do I need "the secrets of God" in order to be saved? Another Gospel is what's being taught here.

Also, what about this? You didn't address this PDoug:

"You exclude all those who are, for whatever reason, incapapable of acheiving knowledge."

How are those people saved if they don't have the capacity to comprehend these so-called secrets in the first place??? Mysteries and secrets have NO bearing on one's Faith and salvation.
Didn’t I explain in my reply to you that the truths that someone learns by having faith, are the secrets of God? The following scripture says the same thing:

1 Corinthians 2

6 We do, however, speak a message of wisdom among the mature, but not the wisdom of this age or of the rulers of this age, who are coming to nothing.
7 No, we speak of God's secret wisdom, a wisdom that has been hidden and that God destined for our glory before time began.

All Gnostics texts are emphasizing is that, along with the behavioral fruits that someone who has faith must bear, there must also be knowledge / intelligence fruits as well. Therefore someone who has faith will be given knowledge / intelligence from God (along with righteousness) – as a sign that he really is God’s son.

Do you know what Christ’s command, seek first the kingdom of God means? It means you must seek to know about it and its mysteries. Therefore the following scripture backs up my point that not only should people be seeking God’s righteousness: they should also be trying to find out about His mysteries as well:

Matthew 6

33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.

Finally, Gnostic works are very difficult to understand, and can only be competently understood by having faith correctly. That is why I keep repeating the necessity for this. Therefore just as the Jews were unable to reconcile what Christ said with their law because of their lack of faith, people will find it difficult to reconcile Gnostic and other texts in the Bible, for the same reason.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back