Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

God's Word And Your Condition

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
The possible outcome of people not repenting but merely asking “Jesus into their unrepentant and unsurrendered hearts” is that they are not at all saved and end up in hell.
I never said that one should not repent as we must confess we are sinners asking God for forgiveness when we first accept Jesus as our Lord and Savior. "forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us", We have to admit we are sinners needing God's grace through Christ Jesus who forgives our sins when we humble ourselves before Him to receive God's salvation.

Act 2:37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
Act 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Act 2:39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

God's word and our condition is the condition of our heart when we ask Jesus to come into our heart and be our Lord and Savior.

Rev 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

That door that Jesus is knocking on is our heart as we open our heart and ask Him to come in.

You believe that they died a second physical death and faced the dirty lowly grave yet a second time, even though the PARAMOUNT event that brought them forth from the grave was Jesus bursting forth from the tomb with the blinding light of God, Glorified ?
Surely you understand this was not a case of Jesus weeping beside the grave with Lazarus's loved ones ?
This was the King of Kings & Lord of Lords bursting forth in Eternal Glory that caused these other to come forth to , to ,to , to LIE DOWN IN THE DIRT OF DEATH A SECOND TIME ?
Really ?
Notice the Word of God that says they " appeared ":

"after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared ,,,,"

What do you think the word " Appeared" means in terms of people coming forth from the grave and just going back to their former existence ?

Does " Appeared " sound to you like everything was as it was before they were buried in the grave ?
Says they appeared to others, never says they were resurrected to eternal life. I would be careful about reading something into that which is not written.

It is written of what Jesus said found in John 3:13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.

Says they appeared to others, never says they were resurrected to eternal life. I would be careful about reading something into that which is not written.
Lets go with what is written then .
The word " Appeared " is used in scripture dozens of times , and it always, without exception, denotes a supernatural , momentary occurrence.
You cannot show me a single scripture in which the God uses the word appeared to denote anything less than a momentary supernatural occurrence ?

On the other hand I can show you dozens of instances in scripture of God using appeared to denote a momentary supernatural occurrence :

Mat 17:3
"And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him."

Your turn ?

I never said that one should not repent as we must confess we are sinners asking God for forgiveness when we first accept Jesus as our Lord and Savior.
Admitting that we are sinners is not repenting. You can read how people responded when saved in the NT. They never just admitted they were sinners in need of Jesus. They were cut to the quick with conviction.
"forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us",
That means if we refuse to forgive others, God won’t forgive us even if we “asked Jesus into our hearts.”
We have to admit we are sinners needing God's grace through Christ Jesus who forgives our sins when we humble ourselves before Him to receive God's salvation.
Admitting we are sinners is not repentance especially if we tell them they have a sin nature they can’t help.
Act 2:37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
Yes. Guilty of real sin and repentant.
Act 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
No “just accept Jesus into your hearts.”
Act 2:39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
Whosoever, no special elect ones, but I know you don’t believe in Election before birth either.
God's word and our condition is the condition of our heart when we ask Jesus to come into our heart and be our Lord and Savior.
No one ever preached that. They preached repentance and ask God for forgiveness.
Rev 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

That door that Jesus is knocking on is our heart as we open our heart and ask Him to come in.
That was said to Christians once in the New Testament, never unbelievers. Believers were warned that they’d better repent and that Jesus was standing at the door of their hearts, the believers.

I know the teaching. It’s a cheap no feeling guilty of sin dry “get out of hell” assurance. Just admit you aren’t perfect. But let’s look at that scripture:

Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent. 20Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me.21The one who conquers, I will grant him to sit with me on my throne, as I also conquered and sat down with my Father on his throne.

What proceeds asking Jesus in? REPENT not merely admit you aren’t free of failure.

If a man isn’t repentant, there’s no guarantee Jesus will come in according to scripture.

They were cut to the quick with conviction.
And what conviction would that be if not being convicted of their sin.
Admitting we are sinners is not repentance especially if we tell them they have a sin nature they can’t help.
It's a part of repentance that leads us to repent.
Yes. Guilty of real sin and repentant.
All sin is real as all sin is sin that separates us from the Father. There is no sin greater than another other then blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.
No “just accept Jesus into your hearts.”
Jesus is not going to enter into our hearts if we continue knowingly sinning against Him.
No one ever preached that. They preached repentance and ask God for forgiveness.
I'm sorry, but God's salvation through Christ is a condition of our heart when we hear the Gospel preached to us like those who heard Peter preach that day and their hearts were pricked and asked Peter what they needed to do. Repent first and then receive the baptism of Christ for the receiving of the Holy Spirit.
That was said to Christians once in the New Testament, never unbelievers. Believers were warned that they’d better repent and that Jesus was standing at the door of their hearts, the believers.
Why would Jesus stand and knock on the door of a Christian who has already received Him as Lord and Savior.

Lets go with what is written then .
The word " Appeared " is used in scripture dozens of times , and it always, without exception, denotes a supernatural , momentary occurrence.
You cannot show me a single scripture in which the God uses the word appeared to denote anything less than a momentary supernatural occurrence ?

On the other hand I can show you dozens of instances in scripture of God using appeared to denote a momentary supernatural occurrence :

Mat 17:3
"And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him."

Your turn ?
I would think that many being raised from the grave that day would be a supernatural occurrence going into the city and be seen by many. I am not questioning that. What I am questioning is where does it say they were raised to eternal life at that time. You are adding something that is not there and ignoring what Jesus said about no one has ever ascended up to heaven other than Himself.

Mat 27:52 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,
Mat 27:53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

Nothing there that says they resurrected to eternal life.

John 3:13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.

No man means no man as Jesus was the one that spoke this.

Beware adding to or taking away from the word of God.

Rev 22:18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
Rev 22:19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

I would think that many being raised from the grave that day would be a supernatural occurrence going into the city and be seen by many.
You are still failing to grasp the abbreviated length of time meaning of the term "appeared" as it is used consistently in God's Word ?
It specifically is used to denote a short momentary appearance .
The operative word being momentary .
There one moment, GONE the next.
Even when speaking of objects God uses "appeared" to denote something that appears for just a short moment of time.
Take the day of Pentecost for instance when there "appeared" tongues as of fire .
Using your understanding this would mean that these tongues as of fire which "appeared" upon the apostles must have then stayed with them and followed them all the rest of their days ?
Right ?
After all the passage never mentions these tongues of fire which " appeared " going away anywhere does it ?
But you really don't believe these tongues of fire which " appeared " one moment then stayed with apostles for months, years even, do you even though the passage never mentions these tongues of fire disappearing as instantly as they appeared ?
So here I have given you a second instance in scripture of "appeared" being used to denote a limited brief moment .
And you still have yet to give any example of the term being used in scripture where it is made obvious that the "appearance" was for a protracted period of time.
Just one ?

Unchecked Copy Box
Act 2:3
"And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them."

Still your turn ?

You are still failing to grasp the abbreviated length of time meaning of the term "appeared" as it is used consistently in God's Word ?
It specifically is used to denote a short momentary appearance .
The operative word being momentary .
There one moment, GONE the next.
Even when speaking of objects God uses "appeared" to denote something that appears for just a short moment of time.
Take the day of Pentecost for instance when there "appeared" tongues as of fire .
Using your understanding this would mean that these tongues as of fire which "appeared" upon the apostles must have then stayed with them and followed them all the rest of their days ?
Right ?
After all the passage never mentions these tongues of fire which " appeared " going away anywhere does it ?
But you really don't believe these tongues of fire which " appeared " one moment then stayed with apostles for months, years even, do you even though the passage never mentions these tongues of fire disappearing as instantly as they appeared ?
So here I have given you a second instance in scripture of "appeared" being used to denote a limited brief moment .
And you still have yet to give any example of the term being used in scripture where it is made obvious that the "appearance" was for a protracted period of time.
Just one ?

Unchecked Copy Box
Act 2:3
"And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them."

Still your turn ?
Go ahead and keep reading and teaching things that are not there as I am done with this conversation. I will believe what is already written without adding to it.

Go ahead and keep reading and teaching things that are not there as I am done with this conversation. I will believe what is already written without adding to it.
Not teaching just taking note that the term " appeared " is never given in regard to Lazarus .
Why ?
This is because further scripture details how the rulers sought to murder him, thus verifying that he was present for more than just a momentary "appearance".
Failure to recognize that "appeared" is there, written throughout scripture with only one meaning intended, that being of short duration, is where you have veered from what has been consistently written by God in His Word.

Unchecked Copy Box
Mar 16:14
"Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat..."

Not teaching just taking note that the term " appeared " is never given in regard to Lazarus .
Why ?
This is because further scripture details how the rulers sought to murder him, thus verifying that he was present for more than just a momentary "appearance".
Failure to recognize that "appeared" is there, written throughout scripture with only one meaning intended, that being of short duration, is where you have veered from what has been consistently written by God in His Word.

Unchecked Copy Box
Mar 16:14
"Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat..."
appeared: come into sight, become visible or noticeable as Lazarus appeared to all who saw him come from the tomb alive again. Not only Lazarus, but those who were raised from the grave during the earthquake when Jesus gave up the ghost that went into the city and appeared to others, the daughter of Jarius in whom Jesus brought his daughter back to life and appeared to many. All those events were to show others that Jesus truly was who He said as being the great "I AM" and that He and the Father are one.

Greek - English Dictionary​

G5318 - Appear

Strong's No.:G5318

Greek:φανερός

Transliteration:phaneros

Phonetic:fan-er-os'

Word Origin:From G5316

Bible Usage:abroad + appear known manifest open [+ -ly] outward ([+ -ly]).

Part of Speech:Adjective

Strongs
Definition:
shining that is apparent (literally or figuratively); neuter (as adverb) publicly externally

Thayers
Definition:
1. apparent, manifest, evident, known
2. manifest i.e to be plainly recognised or known

Translation
Occurrences:
known ( 3 )

manifest ( 9 )

Definitions are taken from Strong's Exhaustive Concordance
by James Strong (S.T.D.) (LL.D.) 1890.

Last edited:
"Appeared " occurs nowhere in scripture in reference to Lazarus.
I thought you were the one lecturing me in what is actually written ?
Why do you think Lazarus is not mentioned in God's word as " appearing" ?

And what conviction would that be if not being convicted of their sin.

It's a part of repentance that leads us to repent.
Actually it’s repentance of what we chose to do, not some sin nature we never chose.
Jesus is not going to enter into our hearts if we continue knowingly sinning against Him.

I'm sorry, but God's salvation through Christ is a condition of our heart when we hear the Gospel preached to us like those who heard Peter preach that day and their hearts were pricked and asked Peter what they needed to do. Repent first and then receive the baptism of Christ for the receiving of the Holy Spirit.
OK
Why would Jesus stand and knock on the door of a Christian who has already received Him as Lord and Savior.
You would have to ask Jesus but that is what he said to the christians, not to unbelievers. One can change the scripture by insisting this applies to unbelievers or one can understand the scripture as written.

The answer is likely because he WASNT in the believers hearts judging by what he says to them. They believed but He wasn’t resident. The believers needed to repent.

And because receiving Jesus into your heart is not something anyone in the New Testament ever preached as a salvation message. “Repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand” is the Gospel they preached.

Actually it’s repentance of what we chose to do, not some sin nature we never chose.
All are born with a nature to sin because of sin entering into the world by Adam's disobedience and from that time all have sinned falling short of the glory of the Lord, Acts 2:37-41; Romans 3:21-26.

Luke 5:30 But their scribes and Pharisees murmured against his disciples, saying, Why do ye eat and drink with publicans and sinners?
Luke 5:31 And Jesus answering said unto them, They that are whole need not a physician; but they that are sick.
Luke 5:32 I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

What does a sinner need to do is to admit they are a sinner and need God's forgiveness as they first repent and ask for forgiveness as God forgives their past sins as they become renewed in Christ through the Spiritual rebirth from above.

And because receiving Jesus into your heart is not something anyone in the New Testament ever preached as a salvation message. “Repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand” is the Gospel they preached.
John preached repentance "repent for the kingdom of God is at hand" as preparing oneself to receive Jesus with a pure heart.

Mat 3:1 In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judaea,
Mat 3:2 And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
Mat 3:3 For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.

Mat 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

Mar 1:2 As it is written in the prophets, Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee.
Mar 1:3 The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.
Mar 1:4 John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.
Mar 1:5 And there went out unto him all the land of Judaea, and they of Jerusalem, and were all baptized of him in the river of Jordan, confessing their sins.

If someone is knocking at your door do you not say to them come in? this is what Jesus does as knocking on the door, which is our heart and we ask Him to come in.

"Appeared " occurs nowhere in scripture in reference to Lazarus.
I thought you were the one lecturing me in what is actually written ?
Why do you think Lazarus is not mentioned in God's word as " appearing" ?
I don't lecture and it makes no matter to me whether you believe me or not. I gave you the Biblical definition, but I can't make you accept it as you seem to reject it so I am done with this and moving on.

All are born with a nature to sin because of sin entering into the world by Adam's disobedience and from that time all have sinned falling short of the glory of the Lord, Acts 2:37-41; Romans 3:21-26.
Those scriptures don’t say that. The term “sin nature” appears no where in the whole of the Bible and the reason given as to why we sun is never because of a sin nature from Adam.
Luke 5:30 But their scribes and Pharisees murmured against his disciples, saying, Why do ye eat and drink with publicans and sinners?
Luke 5:31 And Jesus answering said unto them, They that are whole need not a physician; but they that are sick.
Luke 5:32 I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.
No argument there. Called sinners to repent of what sin they do, not a nature they can’t help and doesn’t go say after repenting anyway.
What does a sinner need to do is to admit they are a sinner and need God's forgiveness as they first repent and ask for forgiveness as God forgives their past sins as they become renewed in Christ through the Spiritual rebirth from above.
That’s not what the gospel is. Everyone on earth knows they do wrong. Ask anyone if they are morally perfect and 100% will say “no.” So all know they sin (do wrong.) What they don’t want to admit is the particulars they do that MUST REPENT OF according to Jesus.
John preached repentance "repent for the kingdom of God is at hand" as preparing oneself to receive Jesus with a pure heart.
No, that’s not what a single person ever said in the whole of the Bible.
Mat 3:1 In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judaea,
Mat 3:2 And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
Mat 3:3 For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.
Do you know the preparation he was prophesied to bring….turning the hearts of the children to their fathers and the hearts of the fathers to their children. See Malachi.
Mat 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:
Repent, not prepare to receive Jesus with a pure heart, whatever that means.
Mar 1:2 As it is written in the prophets, Behold, I send my messenger before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee.
Mar 1:3 The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.
Mar 1:4 John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.
Mar 1:5 And there went out unto him all the land of Judaea, and they of Jerusalem, and were all baptized of him in the river of Jordan, confessing their sins.
Ah they didn’t confess they were sinners needing Jesus to enter their hearts. They confessed their individual sins.
If someone is knocking at your door do you not say to them come in? this is what Jesus does as knocking on the door, which is our heart and we ask Him to come in.
That’s not what he said. He said to the church first repent, then I am waiting outside of you.
As I said, the believers needed to repent.

Last edited:
I don't lecture and it makes no matter to me whether you believe me or not. I gave you the Biblical definition, but I can't make you accept it as you seem to reject it so I am done with this and moving on.
That in the entire bible God only uses the word "Appeared" when speaking of individuals/manifestations not of this world is exact and steadfast .

Those scriptures don’t say that. The term “sin nature” appears no where in the whole of the Bible and the reason given as to why we sun is never because of a sin nature from Adam.

No argument there. Called sinners to repent of what sin they do, not a nature they can’t help and doesn’t go say after repenting anyway.

That’s not what the gospel is. Everyone on earth knows they do wrong. Ask anyone if they are morally perfect and 100% will say “no.” So all know they sin (do wrong.) What they don’t want to admit is the particulars they do that MUST REPENT OF according to Jesus.

No, that’s not what a single person ever said in the whole of the Bible.

Do you know the preparation he was prophesied to bring….turning the hearts of the children to their fathers and the hearts of the fathers to their children. See Malachi.

Repent, not prepare to receive Jesus with a pure heart, whatever that means.

Ah they didn’t confess they were sinners needing Jesus to enter their hearts. They confessed their individual sins.

That’s not what he said. He said to the church first repent, then I am waiting outside of you.

As I said, the believers needed to repent.
Again as these are your points of view and you have every right to them even though we disagree. Although it makes me wonder how you understand what it means to be Spiritually born again from above and what it means to walk in the Spirit.

Again as these are your points of view and you have every right to them even though we disagree. Although it makes me wonder how you understand what it means to be Spiritually born again from above and what it means to walk in the Spirit.
Actually it’s your very personal opinion that “sin nature” is in the Bible. It isn’t but you choose to believe it is. What is also typical of your writings is to personally insult those who don’t share your personal opinions. I don’t question your walk with God, but you question mine.

Let’s move on.

Actually it’s your very personal opinion that “sin nature” is in the Bible. It isn’t but you choose to believe it is. What is also typical of your writings is to personally insult those who don’t share your personal opinions. I don’t question your walk with God, but you question mine.

Let’s move on.
I was trying to be nice to you and was hoping you would explain your understanding of being Spiritually born again from above and what it means to you to walk in the Spirit, but yes, we will move on and hope you have a good day.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back