Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Gonna attend a mass soon as someone considering Catholicism

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

evenifigoalone

Fare thee well, Felicia
2024 Supporter
What should I know before going? I already know that I can't take the Eucharist unless and until I'm actually Catholic

What should I know before going? I already know that I can't take the Eucharist unless and until I'm actually Catholic
You will be required to attend RCIA classes. That stands for Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults. I do not know if the Catholic church recognizes or acknowledges baptisms done outside of the Catholic church so you may or may not be required to be baptized by a Catholic priest. I don't think it will be necessary for conversion but just thought I'd mention it.

You will be required to attend RCIA classes. That stands for Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults. I do not know if the Catholic church recognizes or acknowledges baptisms done outside of the Catholic church so you may or may not be required to be baptized by a Catholic priest. I don't think it will be necessary for conversion but just thought I'd mention it.

That is only for those that wish to become Catholics.
evenifigoalone only asked about attending Mass. Anyone is welcome to come to a Catholic Mass.

Regarding baptism, the Catholic Church accepts the baptisms of some denominations but I couldn't give you a list.
My guess would be those that have similar beliefs about baptism to the Catholic Church and baptise in a similar way .

That is only for those that wish to become Catholics.
evenifigoalone only asked about attending Mass. Anyone is welcome to come to a Catholic Mass.

Regarding baptism, the Catholic Church accepts the baptisms of some denominations but I couldn't give you a list.
My guess would be those that have similar beliefs about baptism to the Catholic Church and baptise in a similar way .
Oh, yeah. I misread that. She has been expressing interest in the Catholic church and I guess I just made an assumption.

I know about the Eucharist and my friends who work in a Catholic church lead worship or something like that and have talked about the bishop giving a homily.
Hi E,
I don't think Mungo has the time, but I've taught the Mass to kids and would love to give you an overview so you know what's going on.
The Mass is divided into 2 big parts and then 2 more minor parts,,,,so 4.

Let me know if you're interested.

Hi E,
I don't think Mungo has the time, but I've taught the Mass to kids and would love to give you an overview so you know what's going on.
The Mass is divided into 2 big parts and then 2 more minor parts,,,,so 4.

Let me know if you're interested.
Sure :)

Our Catholic brothers can correct me if I'm in error but one of the things I like about Catholic Mass, and I see much of the same in my current Lutheran church although not to the same degree, is the reverent attitude. In the Catholic Mass you will see much more formal attention to respect and admiration toward God, the Mass, and so forth.

When I attended Mass we were taught to dip our fingers into a vessel of holy water (water that has been blessed by a priest or other member of the clergy) and make the sign of the cross upon entering and leaving the church. This was done to remind us of our Baptism.

The Catholic church believes in the real presence of our Lord in the church and therefore expect congregants to act as such. We Lutherans also believe He is present for Jesus said, "Where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.” (Matthew 18:20 NKJV)

Being King of Kings, our Lord deserves our utmost adoration, respect, and reverence due Him and in the Catholic church we always expressed this by genuflecting toward the tabernacle where the blessed Sacrament is located before entering or upon leaving a pew.

You'll also find that the during the Catholic Mass congregants are instructed to kneel quite often. This is done as a sign of humility and penitence. Doing this helps keep proper perspective of who it is we are worshipping. He's not just some guy. He's Lord of Lords, King of Kings, the Creator of all things, and the giver of life itself. Consequently we never kneel in our Lutheran worship service.

Sadly, this show of reverence is something most Protestant churches seem to have moved away from and in my opinion, we tend to take God more for granted than we should. That is not to say that we do just the opposite but I think we could do well to bring more of it into our worship services and daily lives. I often wonder if it is because we are too proud or afraid of doing something that might be construed as too Catholic.

As I've said, even though I may have my difficulties with many of the Catholic traditions and teachings, that does not mean I disagree with everything and this is one of those areas I do agree with and miss.

Last edited:
Our Catholic brothers can correct me if I'm in error but one of the things I like about Catholic Mass, and I see much of the same in my current Lutheran church although not to the same degree, is the reverent attitude. In the Catholic Mass you will see much more formal attention to respect and admiration toward God, the Mass, and so forth.

When I attended Mass we were taught to dip our fingers into a vessel of holy water (water that has been blessed by a priest or other member of the clergy) and make the sign of the cross upon entering and leaving the church. This was done to remind us of our Baptism.

The Catholic church believes in the real presence of our Lord in the church and therefore expect congregants to act as such. We Lutherans also believe He is present for Jesus said, "Where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.” (Matthew 18:20 NKJV)

Being King of Kings, our Lord deserves our utmost adoration, respect, and reverence due Him and in the Catholic church we always expressed this by genuflecting toward the tabernacle where the blessed Sacrament is located before entering or upon leaving a pew.

You'll also find that the during the Catholic Mass congregants are instructed to kneel quite often. This is done as a sign of humility and penitence. Doing this helps keep proper perspective of who it is we are worshipping. He's not just some guy. He's Lord of Lords, King of Kings, the Creator of all things, and the giver of life itself. Consequently we never kneel in our Lutheran worship service.

Sadly, this show of reverence is something most Protestant churches seem to have moved away from and in my opinion, we tend to take God more for granted than we should. That is not to say that we do just the opposite but I think we could do well to bring more of it into our worship services and daily lives. I often wonder if it is because we are too proud or afraid of doing something that might be construed as too Catholic.

As I've said, even though I may have my difficulties with many of the Catholic traditions and teachings, that does not mean I disagree with everything and this is one of those areas I do agree with and miss.
Correct on all.
Since covid some churches still don't use Holy water.

Back