Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Good Christian based movies

China's Cry is about the persecutions to death of those who stood up for their belief in Christ and The Window was about a blind man that saw images of beauty in his own mind of that we that can see just take for granted. There old movies from the 90's, but if you search the net you might be able to fond them as when I got them they were VHS. I hope you get the Passion Of The Christ as it truly depicts graphically what Jesus went through even though it drew it out pretty long in parts, but yet very effective.

for his glory:

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Re. films that show a lot of graphic emotion and suffering, particularly in relation to the Lord Jesus, my question would be, what precise truth is coming across in relation to His sufferings? He was indeed 'wounded for our transgressions, bruised for our iniquities', as Isaiah 53 says. The New Testament records His words: 'It is finished', that is, it was a completed work; Hebrews 9 and 10 are emphatic about the perfect and complete and God satisfying nature of those sin atoning sufferings: 'Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many'; 'by one offering He has perfected for ever them that are sanctified'. This is what I meant about what sort of doctrine is conveyed, not only what sort of emotion is sensed, as someone might feel seeing a crucifix, etc.

Thanks again for your post.

farouk: what precise truth is coming across in relation to His sufferings?

The truth that is coming across is that of the love Jesus has for us by what he suffered. Most pictures and movies depict Jesus on the cross with a little blood trickling down his face and the side he was pierced on, but the rest of him looking alright. The graphics depicted in The Passion takes on all the reality of what Jesus truly went through before giving up the ghost. It gives a whole new Spiritual meaning to me at least of that of the blood of Christ as we are saved by the blood of the Lamb in regards to the tremendous pain and suffering Jesus had to endure, as we must endure until the end, as he gave his life in love for us yet being sinners and not even worthy of the blood he shed for us. There's no greater love than that.

farouk: what precise truth is coming across in relation to His sufferings?

The truth that is coming across is that of the love Jesus has for us by what he suffered. Most pictures and movies depict Jesus on the cross with a little blood trickling down his face and the side he was pierced on, but the rest of him looking alright. The graphics depicted in The Passion takes on all the reality of what Jesus truly went through before giving up the ghost. It gives a whole new Spiritual meaning to me at least of that of the blood of Christ as we are saved by the blood of the Lamb in regards to the tremendous pain and suffering Jesus had to endure, as we must endure until the end, as he gave his life in love for us yet being sinners and not even worthy of the blood he shed for us. There's no greater love than that.

for his glory:

Yes, I wholeheartedly agree about the no greater love than that of the Lord Jesus laying down His life to redeem us from our sins, indeed.

What I would also say is, with the visual, we need to take care that it's not only the emotions that are being stirred but also that it is the doctrine of the New Testament, to the effect that it is a finished and perfect and never to be repeated work, that is coming across.

Some ppl will be stirred by movies, stirred by the sight of a crucifix, feel emotion as they attend religious ceremonies where the suffering of Christ might be mentioned, yet the doctrine is incomplete or has a wrong emphasis.

This is why care is needed, I think. Blessings.

Loved Soul Surfer.

Lot of good Christian based movies listed here. I've seen all mentioned.

I love movies. I have a room in my house dedicated to movies, and while I do watch many secular movies, I often find truth in them, or some spiritual significance.

Here is a movie some of you might like. It's called "The Way". It stars Martin Sheen and his son Emilio Estevez, in fact the movie was directed by Estevez.

It's sort of about the de camino de Santigo, but it's a cool story.

Check it out. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1441912/

My wife and I are big hikers and we are seriously thinking about walking the way. Thinking about taking our daughters as a graduation thing. We have quite a bit of time to plan it. ;)

I'm sure I'm going to be blasted out of the water for suggesting this, and I probably missed some great theological error, but I really liked Soldiers and Saints. I know, I know that it was made by and funded by the LDS, but I still thought it had great power.
Nearly all other christian movies I have seen have been so cheesily unbelievable that I couldn't watch them.
Chariots of Fire is a great movie, though.

Loved Soul Surfer.

Lot of good Christian based movies listed here. I've seen all mentioned.

I love movies. I have a room in my house dedicated to movies, and while I do watch many secular movies, I often find truth in them, or some spiritual significance.

Here is a movie some of you might like. It's called "The Way". It stars Martin Sheen and his son Emilio Estevez, in fact the movie was directed by Estevez.

It's sort of about the de camino de Santigo, but it's a cool story.

Check it out. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1441912/

My wife and I are big hikers and we are seriously thinking about walking the way. Thinking about taking our daughters as a graduation thing. We have quite a bit of time to plan it. ;)

yeah i 'll give soul surfer 8 out of 10 for family friendliness...

Freelance film industry electrician he is. Thanks for sharing!

True true, I put lights in the air, cable into lights, and a generator in the most inconvenient (but hidden) spots. That is my job in a nutshell.

Blue Like Jazz should be out in theaters in the indie galleries. Let me know how it is as I have never seen anything I worked on.

A incredible film to watch is Machine Gun Preacher. This isn't one to bring the family (Sudanese infanticide, mutilation, and all sorts of other moral-less stuff), but a friend or significant other. It is about a man who overcomes his addictions, finds Christ, starts a church for fellow knuckleheads and saves african children. It is a true story and will touch your heart if not your soul. I cried at least 4 times in that movie, but by no means softens their reality. I highly recommend it to any adult or the right child who needs to understand the darker parts of the world.

Back