Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Graven Image

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
So I have a huge crush on a graven image, specifically a character from an anime series. Is this a sin?

God tells us:

You shall not make for yourself a graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth;

But Mikuru Asahina is a fictional character, and I'm not so much worshipping her as wanting to marry her. Since I didn't make the image myself and she technically isn't on the Earth, I feel like I should be okay. Any thoughts? It's a step up from my Sailor Mars crush in grade 5, anyhow.

I think most people develop a celebrity crush at some point in time... either a character or the actual celebrity.

The key is controlling the thoughts. Let your thoughts stray to the sinful and it's sin... Keep things firmly planted in the fun fantasy level and it's pretty harmless.

If it gets to the point that you'd rather watch the show than go to church... you'd better check that.

Also, I'm a big fan of anime myself, FMA Brotherhood being my favorite, but a lot of anime can be close to soft-core.... I'm not familiar with this character or the show, but if it's that type of anime and you find that it's working on your senses in an overtly sexual way, then that's a lot more problematic.

Even by commandment standads, it limits itself to the earth. Remember God deals in techincallities.

"Do not kill" actually ment, " Do not kill anybody of your own religion." or thats what I can gather from the subsequent chapters of Moses commanding the slaughter of other peoples.

Your fine. As long as its a made up character, and you don't go overboard, and even if you do, seek forgiviness to God, you should be fine.

Wow, not sure how "do not kill" got into a graven image thread... unless your baiting an argument about "do not kill".... Funny, Athiest seem to enjoy that argument for some reason, and always have the correct interpretation. Go figure. Huh.

Not really sure what qualifies you to properly interpret the Bible... When it comes to the OT, I think the Jew's actually do a pretty good job. And as far as this op is concerned, I get a feeling a good Jewish Rabbi would counsel DHR to stop watching so many cartoons and go out and do something productive... .02

Wow, not sure how "do not kill" got into a graven image thread... unless your baiting an argument about "do not kill".... Funny, Athiest seem to enjoy that argument for some reason, and always have the correct interpretation. Go figure. Huh.

Not really sure what qualifies you to properly interpret the Bible... When it comes to the OT, I think the Jew's actually do a pretty good job. And as far as this op is concerned, I get a feeling a good Jewish Rabbi would counsel DHR to stop watching so many cartoons and go out and do something productive... .02

Stop assuming. I was just saying how God allows people to break his own rules.

Stop assuming. I was just saying how God allows people to break his own rules.
Sorry, once bitten twice shy... its in my nature. Oh, and for your conclusion it affirms my assumption., for the record, I disagree with your assertion. But this is not the thread for that.

So I have a huge crush on a graven image, specifically a character from an anime series. Is this a sin?

God tells us:

You shall not make for yourself a graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth;

But Mikuru Asahina is a fictional character, and I'm not so much worshipping her as wanting to marry her. Since I didn't make the image myself and she technically isn't on the Earth, I feel like I should be okay. Any thoughts? It's a step up from my Sailor Mars crush in grade 5, anyhow.

it will just pass away it's just a crush ....get over it ...

Sorry, once bitten twice shy... its in my nature. Oh, and for your conclusion it affirms my assumption., for the record, I disagree with your assertion. But this is not the thread for that.

Again, assuming I WAS trying to start an argument. That wasn't my plan.

I was just trying to get the idea across that God allows people to break the rules he gave them.

To the OP: I wouldn't let it become an obsession, but if you want to have that figurine, go for it. It techincally doesn't break God's rules, or not the way you interpret them. Plus, if it is, just ask God for forgiveness anyways. He is supposedly all good, so he will forgive you.

In and of itself, I wouldn't say it's a bad thing. If it becomes an obsession, though, I'd watch it.

I've never had an actual crush on a fictional character myself, but I've been a pretty big fangirl of a couple. xD In my experience, if it gets to the point where it's all you ever think about...you're going to have problems if you don't do something to stop it. Not just that that'd be a sin (because if it is all you think about, you are placing it as more important to you than God is), but if my experience is anything to go by, it can cause other problems as well.

While God does give us the option to disobey Him (our devotion would mean nothing if it was forced)...in the end, it's not a wise choice and sooner or later you reap what you sow. (As in there are inherent consequences.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think most people develop a celebrity crush at some point in time... either a character or the actual celebrity.

The key is controlling the thoughts. Let your thoughts stray to the sinful and it's sin... Keep things firmly planted in the fun fantasy level and it's pretty harmless.

If it gets to the point that you'd rather watch the show than go to church... you'd better check that.

Also, I'm a big fan of anime myself, FMA Brotherhood being my favorite, but a lot of anime can be close to soft-core.... I'm not familiar with this character or the show, but if it's that type of anime and you find that it's working on your senses in an overtly sexual way, then that's a lot more problematic.

Hm, good way of looking at it, celebrity crush... lol

If Steve puts his Camaro above God as loving it more than God that is where the sin lays :adore

We all have something in our lives we enjoy whether material or fictional, but if we allow those things to become our god then that becomes a graven image.

Steve owns a Camaro! I'd like to meet him! ;)

But I agree, anytime we put anything above God it can become an idol, even a cross or a picture of Jesus.

John 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship in spirit and truth.

Steve owns a Camaro! I'd like to meet him! ;)

But I agree, anytime we put anything above God it can become an idol, even a cross or a picture of Jesus.

John 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship in spirit and truth.

OOPS!!! I thought the one in the pic was yours.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back