Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Guns Allowed In Church

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Lewis

My brand new just got today 44 Magnum
fat_face_smiling.gif

Certainly believe that. Black powder leaves quite a smoke screen behind.

Here's another that I've considered. How many movies depict a guy shooting a handgun inside a closed building? Ever wonder what would really happen if that was done?

The attached picture is an overhead view of my home. I was standing about where the X is and shooting toward the east (toward the right for you Aussies :biggrin2). My lawn extends into the tree grove and the red boarder highlights how it is shaped. The trees overhang enough that you can't see it from above as you can see in this photo.

I own a .44 magnum revolver. When I first brought it home I decided to take it out back and give it a try. I set up my target, backed up about 20 yards, and let fly. When I squeezed the trigger, the sound was trapped in that tunnel and from the concussion it felt like someone walked up to me from behind and thwapped both my ears extremely hard with the cup of their hands at the same time. I could barely stand up and I almost lost my hearing for about three days. Man that hurt!! I'm betting that if someone would enter my home and I actually used that pistol to defend myself, I wouldn't have to hit anything. The concussion from the blast would be enough to incapacitate everyone for a while.

View attachment 4331

Well most folks have Dirty harry-itis and load their 44s up with the most powerful rounds they can whether factory or reloads. For home defense with a 44, 44 special level loads should be used. They are quite effective, though I myself pretty much quit using 44 Special brass and just load light loads in magnum brass so I wont have the extra cleaning of the carbon ring in the cylinder that the shorter Special brass would leave in it. The lighter loads are quieter, have less over-penetration, are easier on the gun, and quite effective for defense.

Geez, most people even load too hot for woodswalking. Elmer Keiths famous load of a 245gr SWC bullet at 1200 fps is more than enough for even Deer and stuff. I don't know why people think they have to get the most powerful loads possible just because they can.

I'm not so sure of that. The 44 does very well with a hot load (w-296) and 210g JHP. Best grouping I'd gotten off bench, even at 50 to 100 yards. At least the 29-2 does anyway. W-296 can't be decreased much. It's an all or nothing sort of proposition.
Fact is that's the load I worked up long ago after a LOT of trial with other loads. It's a slow burning, dirty powder no doubt, and an absolute "must clean thoroughly" after use. But that load is superb for the 29-2.

44-357.jpg

I'm not so sure of that. The 44 does very well with a hot load (w-296) and 210g JHP. Best grouping I'd gotten off bench, even at 50 to 100 yards. At least the 29-2 does anyway. W-296 can't be decreased much. It's an all or nothing sort of proposition.
Fact is that's the load I worked up long ago after a LOT of trial with other loads. It's a slow burning, dirty powder no doubt, and an absolute "must clean thoroughly" after use. But that load is superb for the 29-2.

44-357.jpg
Nice very very nice

Getting off topic.
Maybe move these posts to Tech Talk?

The bottom revolver is the model 19 357.

44-357.jpg

That's true about 296, I know that. I have used 296 before too and can attest to what you say about it's accuracy with some real boomer loads also. My Ruger Redhawk Loves that load. It's not the absolute best grouping that I've ever had like you say but good nonetheless. I actually have quite a few real accurate heavy loads, and my best grouping ever was achieved with 2400 and a lead bullet. it did take me awhile to get a defense adequate accuracy load with a lighter load with 44 mag brass but i did it with two different lead bullets, Lymans old 180 gr WC and Keiths 245 gr SWC.

Most people do not like lead bullets because of the leading their guns, but that's all about sizing and not velocity. I oversize my bullets and have driven them up to 1400 fps with zero leading. I oversize all of my bullets. It's been so long since i used a jacketed bullet, i can't remember when the last time was that I used them in anything but rifles, well, except for 45acp. I can make jacketed bullets on my Corbin CSP-1 press. they are good but i still shoot more lead.

Whoops, sorry Rick, i'll stop with the shop talk. :)

Using lead?
JB bore cleaner gets the lead out. :)
I like the semis.

Oh, well quit playing around and do it then. The wheel gun is an awesome weapon and will take one heckuva beating in the field. I can say with all honesty I've never had a jam. :biggrin
I bought my first 29-2 back in '81. $425 spanking new. That thing went through a lot of abuse getting dropped in a river (GF tried it out. :lol), buried in sand (long story), ketchup and mustard down the cylinder, and survived tree sap (pine) and popcorn.

Edward
I got this one early last fall. Been using factory but this model does NOT like factory loads. Good enough for the casual shooter perhaps but I don't do anything casually. :biggrin I know this model inside out, upside down and in pieces laying on a table. The Smith 29-2 is a rugged piece of art that can be relied on. Put over 3,500 rounds through the first one and the barrel was not shot out when I sold it.
I used to reload way back then and am now getting things together to reload again. The Forster (Bonanza) Coax press is what I had before and I got me one again. I'll go with the same load as before... 210g JHP slug, 26.5g w296 ball powder, good crimp. I found a heavy crimp unnecessary never seeing any indications of problems with the sixth round after the first 5 were squeezed off.

Can I be as good as I was 30 some years ago? (3 rounds, 50 yards, freehand, cover with a silver dollar) Dunno. Probably not. But I'm getting exactly the same as I had. Time will tell.

My Dad was an avid hunter... 27 rifles and shotguns. Reloaded all of them. Shot them all while he worked up the loads. Grandpap had a dairy farm where we set up a private range.
My uncle went with the automatics. Never knew him not to be carrying one. He was a bit of ego kind of guy and a vet of the Korean war but he was fun to be around. :) They were ok but I couldn't seem to hit consistently with an auto. Short barrel maybe?
So I suppose it was only natural I'd go wheel gun. :shrug
I've had the 38 special, 41 mag, the 22, all Smiths, but the 357 and 44 were always my favorites. Oh, and toss in a TC 222 with bull barrel. SAAWEEET shooting pistol. Could hit empty 357 cases at 50 yards 3 out of 4 open sights lying on my back, knee to steady. But it wasn't a revolver.

A solid piece of advice. DO NOT try a quick draw with ANY barrel length. Good way to lose a toe, foot or a leg. I still have all mine praise God. :pray

And forget scopes on a revolver. Want to use a scope then get rifle. Scopes are NOT meant for the wheel gun. It'll become the "delicate" piece on a weapon that's not delicate by nature or design.

Edward
I've shot the super blackhawk quite a bit in the day. Friends are friends so i guess it was only natural to have a few with the Blackhawk. Hey, carry around a 44 and you find out who else is too you know?
Anyway, the Smith recoil isn't as pronounced as the Blackhawk. Look at the distance between where you grip each and the distance to the center boreline. You'll see the Ruger is higher. The recoil of the Smith is more backward than upward. It still has a kick alright, especially using the slower powder 296 with a long barrel for the Smith but the Ruger kicks up almost 10 inches for me whereas the Smith about 6. I'm not what you'd call a thick wristed fellow though but in my opinion the 29 is the Cadillac of the 44's.

An ancient friend had a Super Blackhawk. Shot that one a lot. But the first time I shot the 44 Smith, out back of the gun shop I bought my first 44 from, it was love at first sight. :lol

Can you tell I like the 44s? Hey, I'll take a Ruger any day of the week don't get me wrong. I'm as comfortable with Ruger as I am with Smith. I can hit with the 44 though it takes a LOT of getting used to which is something I don't think most people are willing to invest.

I've been around firearms all my life and I know what they can and cannot do. Unfortunately with this new generation of fear firearms are depicted as evil, something bad. Where I grew up firearms were a way of life. Nothing to be feared or held in awe about. Guns were well, so-so. And of course one didn't exactly think about breaking in or entering uninvited into someone else's home either. it was an understanding, you just didn't do it. It was a no-brainer. Even for a kid.

I stirred someone up huh? lol. Popcorn down the Smith. LOL yeah, yeah, I'd like to hear that story. I grew up around guns too. When Dirty Harry came out my dad had to run out and buy one. He paid 625 for his first one iirc, but had to have it. He has always been a 29 man too. i don't have anything against them and agree they're the Cadillac of 44's. (with the Rolls Royce of wheel guns being the Freedom Arms Mdl 83. I love that gun! I got lucky and found a used one for 1400 that was very lightly used. The fit and trigger are out of this world, wow.

but we're talking 44's here so. yeah by the time I got around to being able to even think about buying a 44 I couldn't really afford a 29 and they were talking up the redhawks pretty big in the gunrags so I picked up a used 5.5" stainless RH for 285 and never really looked back. That's a great gun and built like a tank. the trigger isn't as smooth as the 29s is but is totally servicable. With flitz and simichrome and a rag and some movies on tv I brought the finish on it up to look like a stainless Python has. it looked like a mirror on most of it. Super sweet. After awhile I regretted it because I shot it a lot and keeping it up became a real chore, lol. It eventually got stolen . :sad

I replaced it with a 7.5" SBH and within days of buying that, my friend who owned a pawn shop had a guy lose a 7.5" blue Redhawk so he sold it to me for 165 bucks! It even came with a drop leg cowboy holster. That SBH beat up my middle finger pretty bad with that square trigger guard until I got some good grips for it that covered that area. I like that 7.5" barreled RH. I can do a lot with it with 2400 which needs a little barrel to burn good. I have lots of loads that give max velocities with starting loads so I don't have any problem making any sort of load for it with almost any bullet. i put meprolight sights on it because it was my mountain gun and for that dusk walk back to camp they work good reaching into shadowy areas and stuff, plus i can loud it up with light loads and use it as a nightstand gun like I was saying. :)

I like those Rugers. Real working guns and pretty damn accurate. I got a pretty good rabbit load that I use in it with Lymans 180gr WC, that's a great short range bullet! I have another load where I use those blue shot caps and a dash of Unique and I take two 95 gr 380 bullets and slip them into the shot capsule base to base which fit well and strike with an inch of each other all the way out to close to 50 yards. Super cool lol.

I gotta work brothers i better get going before I miss my 8:30 appointment. Have a blessed day!

"7.5" blue Redhawk so he sold it to me for 165 bucks!"
:eek2
Does he have any more?
:lol
Dirty Harry was never on my mind when I got my first one. Actually I was shopping for a 357 that I did pick up about a year later.

The one I have now took almost 3 months to find. Mostly all Dirty Harry did was make the gun harder to find and more expensive if you found one. I hit every gun dealer within a hundred miles of here and came across a bunch of good deals on the nickeled variant. But I wanted the blued 29. I don't remember Dad or my uncle with anything but blued firearms so to me the nickel version just looked odd.
Went online to Gunbroker, Armslist etc and found a couple here and there but I also wanted to be able to see the gun before shelling out the bucks. So I put a maximum range of 500 miles in my search. Some you can tell they had a lot of use with the ring around the cylinder or a bright ring around the hole for the firing pin. I finally found one in Maryland, bought it on the spot but still had to ship it through a licensed gun dealer. The guy rarely shot the thing and the ammo he had for it was mostly lead SWC. Quite frankly I think he was afraid of the thing preferring the smaller caliber auto handguns. I suspect he was a Dirty Harry fan more in love with the image than shooting the gun. But all to my benefit. :biggrin Picked it up for $735 with a $35 fee at the dealer on this end.

It came with homebrew grips. Strange looking but done well. I asked about the original grips but he sold those shorty after making his own. I'll be shopping around for the original grips but even those push $100 or better and I still need some loading equipment.

I believe the Ruger is a heavier built revolver than the Smith and can most likely take more before showing signs of frame fatigue with heavier loads or just more shooting. It also has a more "Western" look and feel.

Yeah, my dad was a blue gun guy too. I don't think he ever owned a stainless or nickle gun. he was a big time Smith guy also. Loads of S&W hanguns. Quite a few 38s & 357s. He had a 6" blue K frame 38 special that i used to love to shoot as a kid, and i also liked my moms blue 4" mdl 28 "Highway Patrolman" 357, but with 38s of course when I was a kid. it had a real smooth trigger and was quite accurate for a 4" barreled gun. I could do a lot better with the K frame though and loved that gun. I understand that those ones are quite valuable now.

he also had this little 4" black (?) S&W 22 revolver that he bought basically for us kids to shoot, but i hated it. it would spit lead back at you when you shot it. I think I flinched more with that than I did with the 357s because I knew it was about to spit hot lead in my face, lol. I can't remember the model number of that one.I think it might have been the one they call the kit gun, though I'm not sure why, it didn't have to be put together. Maybe to keep in ones fishing "kit" or something? who knows.

Is that the 6 or 8" barrel on the 29-2 pic you posted? I like it. I'm not too fond of shorter barreled 44s. Is that your new one you spoke of? That's nice brother. Those 44s need the extra barrel length to burn powder. I haven't had a lot of luck with faster powder in the 44 (with a couple exceptions) and really like 2400 for the 44, but it need barrel length. I'm not one of those that like big fireballs. i'm not in to showing off, I'm into efficiency.

My dad still has a 29-2that I'll probably wind up with one day. When he went looking for this one, he couldn't find a 4" like he likes so he got a 6" and sent it in to Smith to have a 4" tube installed. He did keep the 6" tube and if I ever wind up with it, that's the first thing I'll do is switch it over to the 6". :)

World's Biggest Handgun! .500 S&W Magnum
This not the most powerful handgun any more' it is the Austrian Pfeifer-Zeliska .600 Express magnum which I have at the bottom of this page there is a video of this gun on youtube' but I did not post it because a few cuss words were said. But the gun almost knocked the dude down, it did knock him back though' way back. But you can find it on youtube.
Top 10 Ridiculously Huge Handguns
http://www.toptenz.net/top-10-huge-personal-firearms.php

What Is the Most Powerful Handgun Made?
The most powerful handgun in the world is the Austrian Pfeifer-Zeliska .600 Express magnum which is a single ction,5 shot, old west style gun. It was designed and built for a wealthy Swiss gentleman Mr. Zeliska but you can order it from pfeifer arms for € 13,840 and is 8 times more powerful than a Smith and Wesson.44 magnum and 3 times more powerful than a Smith and Wesson .500 magnum.

picture.php

attachment.php

The .600 Nitro Express Zeliska revolver is an Austrian single-action revolver produced by Pfeifer firearms. Except for the Giant 1859 28mm Remington revolver, 4.13 feet long,[1] and except for the Thompson Contender .600 Nitro Magnum;[2] the Zeliska may be the largest handgun in the world, weighing in at 6.001 kilograms (13.230 lb) and having a length of 55 centimetres (22 in). The cylinder section alone weighs 2.041 kilograms (4.500 lb). The Zeliska is also one of the most powerful handguns in the world, producing a muzzle energy of 7,591 foot pounds. The weight of the gun helps control the recoil, making controlled shooting possible. The capacity of a Zeliska is five .600 Nitro Express or .458 Win Mag rounds. The Zeliska fires a .600 Nitro Express slug (900 grain) at 1,950 ft/s (594.36 m/s, 2,139.7 km/h). The cost of a Zeliska revolver is $17,316. Each .600 Nitro Express round costs $40, making this gun very expensive to fire.

Loading is accomplished through a loading gate located on the right of the cylinder, similar to the Nagant 1895 revolver.

Added features to the gun include gold-plated hammer, cylinder pivot, action and the gold-filled inscription on the gun indicating the company's address.
CgaLVVR.jpg

This below is very funny, but talk about powerful.

Last edited:
Yeah those 500 Magnums are nice guns but not very practical. more of a showpiece I think. They're not fun to shoot and take loads of powder to reload. Everythings ultra expensive for them and it's too big to be practical even for a woodswalking gun. When they first came out, my dad wanted one really bad and figured I would want one also so said that we were in a race to see who gets one first. I have very little interest in it because I like to shoot more than show off and it just isn't practical for anything besides showing off or being mean to your girlfriend like so many are fond of doing which I think is rude.

Heck, even the 454 Casull is way more practical than this thing. With around twice the muzzle energy of a 44 mag, it's not even the power range of the 454 that is practical but it does take normalish 45 bullets and the guns come in a very practical size, especially the FA MDL 83, which I love. But for all around use and shooting I'll stick with the 44 mag. It has all the power that I could ever need and it is very cheap to reload for and just about the most versatile cartridge out there if one is willing to use lead bullets which I am. I can load up a box of 50 of the most powerful bear stomping loads for it for about 4 or 5 dollars, the same type rounds that would cost one 50 bucks or so if bought factory loaded. Normal everyday loads run about 3 or 4 bucks for me. The 500 did do one thing good. It made the 44 mag somewhat unappealing and ho-hum to most, so the prices came down a bit on 44 stuff when it came out. :)

Oh those TC Contenders in 44 mag that were mentioned earlier I wanted to touch on. I shot one before, my friend had one. Those are cool guns and versatile with the changable barrels and stuff but it was weird. It was superbly accurate, but in shooting it, I found it unappealing to me. First off, it's a single shot, and secondly...(I may ruffle some feathers with this, lol) I found it boring to shoot. There was no challenge to it at all. It sounds weird, but it was boringly accurate. Does that make sense? lol

Last edited:
Yeah those 500 Magnums are nice guns but not very practical. more of a showpiece I think. They're not fun to shoot and take loads of powder to reload. Everythings ultra expensive for them and it's too big to be practical even for a woodswalking gun. When they first came out, my dad wanted one really bad and figured I would want one also so said that we were in a race to see who gets one first. I have very little interest in it because I like to shoot more than show off and it just isn't practical for anything besides showing off or being mean to your girlfriend like so many are fond of doing which I think is rude.

Heck, even the 454 Casull is way more practical than this thing. With around twice the muzzle energy of a 44 mag, it's not even the power range of the 454 that is practical but it does take normalish 45 bullets and the guns come in a very practical size, especially the FA MDL 83, which I love. But for all around use and shooting I'll stick with the 44 mag. It has all the power that I could ever need and it is very cheap to reload for and just about the most versatile cartridge out there if one is willing to use lead bullets which I am. I can load up a box of 50 of the most powerful bear stomping loads for it for about 4 or 5 dollars, the same type rounds that would cost one 50 bucks or so if bought factory loaded. Normal everyday loads run about 3 or 4 bucks for me. The 500 did do one thing good. It made the 44 mag somewhat unappealing and ho-hum to most, so the prices came down a bit on 44 stuff when it came out. :)
What is your take on the Austrian Pfeifer-Zeliska .600 Express magnum ?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back