Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him. ( 1 John 2:10.)

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

gordon777

All that the Lord God created at creation, was ALL THINGS through faith. ( all things were made by Jesus Christ the Word.)

What is born of flesh, is flesh. (And the Word was made flesh and dwelt among us.)

What is born of the Spirit, is Spirit. ( 1 Corinthians 6:17.)

Hebrews 11:3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

John 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

John 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

The Lord God breathed into the nostrils of man and man became a living soul.

In Adam all die, and in Christ shall all be made alive ( no person lives, who is born after the flesh, for as in Adam all die..)

What is sown on earth, is in dishonour, and if it is raised, it is raised in power and glory.

What is sown on earth is in a natural body ( that which is flesh is flesh.) and what is raised is a spiritual body.

That is why it is written that the first Adam was made a living soul. ( who God breathed into his nostrils the breath of life.)

The last Adam, was made a quickening spirit.

Genesis 2:7 And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

1 Corinthians 15:22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

1 Corinthians 15: 43 It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power:
44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.
45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

The fools do not believe or even understand, how what is sown ( man sown in corruption. 1 Corinthians 15:42.) is not quickened, except it (that man) dies.

Verily ( truly) Jesus testified how, except a corn of wheat ( Jesus the Son of man.) falls into the ground and dies, He abides alone ( in Heaven.) but if it die ( Jesus Christ the Son of man.) the corn of wheat that dies, ( Jesus Christ the only begotten Son of God.) He brings forth much fruit ( other men, corn, fruits, to life eternal. John 4;36. John 15:16.)

Our old man ( what was sown in corruption. 1 Corinthians 15:42.) is crucified with Jesus, that body is destroyed, so the new man can be born, ( that which is born after the flesh is flesh, and that which is born after the Spirit is Spirit. John 3:6.)

Jesus Christ freed us indeed from sin ( as the servant, man, who is a servant of sin, committing sin, does not abide for ever, but dies through serving. committing sin. The Son abideth/liveth ever to make intercession for us.)

We are made dead, ( with Christ.) to not serve sin, to be freed from sin.

Christ died unto sin once, but in that He lives ( our same belief to die unto sin once with Christ.) we live unto God.

That was the being dead in our sins, the uncircumcision of our flesh, ( man sown in corruption in the flesh.) to be quickened together with Christ for the forgiveness of our sins. (TO THE FOOLS, WHAT IS SOWN IN CORRUPTION IN THE FLESH, IS NOT QUICKENED, EXCEPT IT DIE.)

1 Corinthians 15:35 But some man will say, How are the dead raised up? and with what body do they come?
36 Thou fool, that which thou sowest is not quickened, EXCEPT it DIE:

John 12:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, EXCEPT a corn of wheat fall into the ground and DIE, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.

John 8:34 Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.
35 And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever.
36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

Hebrews 7:25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

Romans 6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.
8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:
9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.
10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.

Colossians 2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

Adam was the FIGURE OF HIM THAT WAS TO COME.

Adam ( that which is born after the flesh.) sinned and death reigned from Adam to Moses.

The gift of grace us by one man, Jesus Christ, the free gift of many offences unto justification.

Death reigned by one mans offence ( the first Adam who was made a living soul.) they which receive abundance of grace and the gift OF RIGHTEOUSNESS, reign in life by one, Jesus Christ. ( the last Adam, was made a quickening Spirit. 1 Corinthians 15:45. The first man is of the earth, earthy, the second man is the Lord from Heaven. 1 Corinthians 15:47.)

Judgement came upon all men( that which is born of the flesh is flesh) to condemnation, so by the righteousness of one ( the Father and the Son who are ONE..) give the free gift upon all men unto justification of life.

By one man ( the first man Adam of the earth, earthy.) disobedience made many sinners, so by the obedience of one ( Jesus Christ, obedient to the death of the cross. Philippians 2:8.) many shall be made RIGHTEOUS.

There is no judgement upon all men to condemnation now, to them which are in Christ Jesus ( and not in Adam, as all in Adam, flesh, and earthy, shall die. 1 Corinthians 15:22.) Those in Christ Jesus do not walk after the flesh, ( that is what the first man of the earth and what is sown to corruption does) but those quickened ( THAT WHICH THE FOOLS DO NOT BELIEVE NOR UNDERSTAND.) are not quickened, except it die first. ( dead indeed to sin to be alive unto God with Him, to walk after the Spirit..)

Romans 5:14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.
15 But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.
16 And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offences unto justification.
17 For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)
18 Therefore as by the offence of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.
19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

The Word was made flesh, ( not born after the flesh, but after the Spirit.)

God was made in the likeness of men, humbled Himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross, for God ( the Son to be glorified with the Father, to be glorified to be together, with the same glory as ONE, had always, before the world was.)

Jesus Christ ( the name the Son glorified on the earth. John 12:28. John 17:4) was given the name which is above EVERY NAME, of things in Heaven, and things in earth. Every tongue confesses that JESUS CHRIST IS LORD TO THE GLORY OF GOD THE FATHER.

Now obey ( obedience of faith. Romans 16:25-26.) by working out your salvation with FEAR AND TREMBLING.

For God works in us, to will and to do of His good pleasure.

John 17:4 I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.

John 17:5 And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.

Philippians 2:6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

Remembering that the first man Adam was the figure of Him that was to come ( the last Adam made a quickening Spirit.) We remember that Abraham received Isaac as a figure ( of Christ) that God was able to raise up the dead.

Abraham by faith received the promise. in Isaac shall the seed be called. We, as Isaac was, are the children of the promise, and he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit. ( it is that way now for many who are FOOLS, who do not know, that, that which is sown, is not quickened, except it die. 1 Corinthians 15:36.)

NEVERTHELESS, those who are bondwoman and son ( he that was of the bondwoman was BORN AFTER THE FLESH.) shall NOT BE HEIRS ( with the son of the freewoman)

Then we are children of the free ( not of the bondwoman and not those born after the flesh.)

For if we live after the flesh ( as those born after the flesh, who persecute those born after the Spirit.) we shall DIE.

Through the Spirit ( being born of the Spirit, which the FOOLS do not believe nor understand, that, that which is sown, is NOT QUICKENED, EXCEPT IT DIE.) we do mortify the deeds of the body ( that those born after the flesh commit) to live.

As many as are led by the Spirit of God, are the children of God( NOT THE CHILDREN OF THE FLESH WHICH WALK AFTER THE FLESH AND STILL COMMIT SINS.)

For we have NOT RECEIVED THE SPIRIT AGAIN OF BONDAGE AGAIN TO FEAR( are not the children of the bondwoman, and those which are born after the flesh.) but we received the SPIRIT OF ADOPTION, to be HEIRS OF THE FREE ( made free from sin, as the FOOLS DO NOT KNOW, THAT WHICH IS SOWN, IS NOT QUICKENED, EXCEPT IT DIE FIRST. 1 Corinthians 15:36.)

Hebrews 11:17 By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son,
18 Of whom it was said, That in Isaac shall thy seed be called:
19 Accounting that God was able to raise him up, even from the dead; from whence also he received him in a figure.

Galatians 4:23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise.

Galatians 4:28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise.
29 But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now.
30 Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman.
31 So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free.

Romans 8:13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

Those children of the flesh who persecuted, and who now persecute him which is born after the Spirit, ARE MANIFESTED, when they commit sins, they neither do righteousness nor love their brother.

The message ( those who are born after the Spirit) we heard from the beginning, is to love one another.

NOT AS CAIN, ( those born after the flesh, are OF THE WICKED ONE.) because their works ( committing sins.) are evil, and those works of the persecuted, ( of the Spirit) are righteous.

We have passed from death to life ( quickened by being dead to sin, once with Jesus Christ. Romans 6:10.) through loving the brothers ( as Jesus Christ died through love for us.) and he that loves not their brothers ( as Jesus Christ loved us, to die unto sin once.) abides in death ( all in Adam, born after the flesh shall die. 1 Corinthians 15:23. Galatians 4:23. 4:29. ) Those in Christ shall be made alive. ( loving our brother as ourselves.)

Who ( commits sin against) their brother, is a murderer, no murderer ( those who commit sin against their brother) has eternal life ( Jesus Christ) abiding in them.

We ( born after the Spirit), persecuted by them who are born after the flesh, perceive the love of God, ( they born after the flesh hated Jesus without a cause. John 15:22-25.) they hated the Son which is to hate the Father also, and if they hated Jesus, they will also hate all who are servants following their Lord. ( they persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, as it is NOW. Galatians 4;29)

Being chosen by Jesus out of the world ( that is how anyone is born after the Spirit.) therefore the world hates you. The world, loves his own.

Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, speaks better things than that of Abel, by His blood of sprinkling, after Abel's blood spoke from the ground,, after Cain killed him.

John 15:18 If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.
19 If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.
20 Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also.

1 John 3:10 In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.
11 For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.
12 Not as Cain, who was of that wicked one, and slew his brother. And wherefore slew he him? Because his own works were evil, and his brother's righteous.
13 Marvel not, my brethren, if the world hate you.
14 We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.
15 Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.
16 Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.

Genesis 4:10 And he said, What hast thou done? the voice of thy brother's blood crieth unto me from the ground.

Hebrews 12:24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.

The epistle of 1 John was written to a congregation. I have chosen NASB because that is quite close to the original Greek. The question: How do we explain the apparent contradictions that are highlighted? Is it possible to sin, and yet keep the commandments and having nothing in us to cause stumbling? Note: John does not condone sin. He is simply stating that if we sin.

1 John Ch 2 (https://biblehub.com/nasb_/1_john/2.htm)

1 My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous; 2 and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

3 By this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments. 4 The one who says, “I have come to know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him; 5 but whoever follows His word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected. By this we know that we are in Him: 6 the one who says that he remains in Him ought, himself also, walk just as He walked.

7 Beloved, I am not writing a new commandment to you, but an old commandment which you have had from the beginning; the old commandment is the word which you have heard. 8[c]On the other hand, I am writing a new commandment to you, which is true in Him and in you, because the darkness is passing away and the true Light is already shining. 9 The one who says that he is in the Light and yet hates his brother or sister is in the darkness until now. 10 The one who loves his brother and sister remains in the Light, and there is nothing in him to cause stumbling. 11 But the one who hates his brother or sister is in the darkness and walks in the darkness, and does not know where he is going because the darkness has blinded his eyes.

How to explain this?

If anyone sins, that is why God gave Jesus Christ the righteous, to be propitiation for our sins.

Then we know Him if we come to keep His commandments ( to love our brothers, by laying down our lives for our friends)

We do lie if we say we have come to know Him, but have not come to know Him by keeping His commandments ( to love our neighbour as ourselves.)

But following the word of Jesus Christ, then that love of God is perfected in us ( greater love hath no man than this, to that a man lay down his life for his friends, and His commandment is that we love one another, as He loved us.)

(Hereby we perceive the love of God, because He layed His life down for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers.)

The true light is now shining ( because the darkness that causes man to stumble and hate his neighbour, is past)

He who abides in the light, of course has no occasion of stumbling. ( Gods love is perfected in him)

John 15:12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.
13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

1 John 3:16 Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.

Every one that loves ( their friends by laying their lives down for them and to love one another as Christ loved us, the brothers by laying their lives down for them, their neighbour as themselves) is born of God, and know God ( we cant say we know God if His love is not perfected in us and if we hate our brothers as Cain hated Abel, then we are the same murderer as Cain's example.

God sent the Son to be propitiation for our sins, that is how the love of God was manifested to us ( to believe in waking in the same love and same light)

God so loved us( by laying His life down for us) and we ought to love one another ( by perceiving that the love of God was to lay His life down for us and we ought to lay our lives down for the brothers when we perceive/believe. 1 John 3:16.)

1 John 3:1211 For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.
12 Not as Cain, who was of that wicked one, and slew his brother. And wherefore slew he him? Because his own works were evil, and his brother's righteous.

1 John 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.
8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.
9 In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.
10 Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.
11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.

If we love one another ( committing sin is before Gods love is perfected in us) God dwells in us ( we cant say we know Christ until we do have Gods love perfected in us/keep His commandments to love one another as He loved us. 1 John 2:3-5. John 15:12-13.) and His love is perfected in us.

Then God has given us of His Spirit ( to be born again sins not. 1 John 3:9-10. 1 John 5:18.)

We confess that Jesus Christ is the Son of God ( they who confess depart from iniquity. 2 Timothy 2:19. for God to dwell in us and we in God ( Gods love is then perfected in us, when God dwells in us and we dwell in Goid which is to dwell in love.)

Believing the love that God has for us, we dwell in love, dwell in God, and God is in us, that is our love made perfect, to have boldness in the day of judgement, because we are in this world, dwelling in love, with God.

1 John 4:12 No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.
13 Hereby know we that we dwell in him, and he in us, because he hath given us of his Spirit.
14 And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world.
15 Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.
16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.
17 Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.

If we abide in the light, why do those in the light have no occasion of stumbling ( people refer us all as stumbling, and committing sins at times.)

1 John 2:10 He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him.

The answer was already told by Jesus, f any man walks in the day, he stumbles not, because they see the light of this world.

( Jesus had testified in John 8, He is the light of the world, and to follow Jesus is to not walk in darkness, but we shall have the light of life.)

If any walk in the night, they stumble, because there is no light in them. ( no Jesus Christ who is the light of life is in them who stumble and commit sins.)

John 8:12 Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

John 11:9 Jesus answered, Are there not twelve hours in the day? If any man walk in the day, he stumbleth not, because he seeth the light of this world.
10 But if a man walk in the night, he stumbleth, because there is no light in him.

Jesus had testified how if any man walked in the day, they are the ones who stumble not.

We cannot be in that stumbling darkness, otherwise the day of Christ shall overtake us as a thief. We believe in being children of light, and the children of the day, not of the night nor of darkness.

Therefore we do not sleep as others do, but we watch and be sober, to not sleep in the night as those that sleep,, but let us who are of the day ( they who walk in the day stumble not.) are sober, and put on the breastplate of faith and love ( believing that Gods love is perfected in us when we love others with the same love that Jesus Christ loved us with.) and wear the helmet of the hope of salvation.

1 Thessalonians 5:4 But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief.
5 Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness.
6 Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober.
7 For they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night.
8 But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.

Sound wisdom and discretion are life to our soul ( Jesus Christ dwelling in us in love, is the light of life in us, for us to not stumble but to be of the day.) and they are grace to our neck.

Then we walk safely, as our foot shall not stumble( as those in the dark who do no love their neighour, but hate them as Cain and instead of laying their lives down, are murderers.)

Proverbs 3:21 My son, let not them depart from thine eyes: keep sound wisdom and discretion:
22 So shall they be life unto thy soul, and grace to thy neck.
23 Then shalt thou walk in thy way safely, and thy foot shall not stumble.

When we run we do not stumble ( running to obtain the prize of eternal salvation, not to receive a corruptible crown as the wicked in darkness run and stumble, to achieve, but we of the light, an incorruptible, by running certainly, loving and not hating, in light and not darkness, keeping under our body and bringing it into subjection, not having our body instead subjected to committing sins, and being a castaway.)

The path of the just is as the shining light that shines more and more, unto the perfect day( the love of God perfected in us for God to dwell in us in love and the light of life, not in hatefulness and in darkness until now, even though they say they are not they lie.)

The way of the wicked is as darkness, they know not at what they stumble ( nobody can love another in the dark.)

Proverbs 4:12 When thou goest, thy steps shall not be straitened; and when thou runnest, thou shalt not stumble.
13 Take fast hold of instruction; let her not go: keep her; for she is thy life.
14 Enter not into the path of the wicked, and go not in the way of evil men.
15 Avoid it, pass not by it, turn from it, and pass away.
16 For they sleep not, except they have done mischief; and their sleep is taken away, unless they cause some to fall.
17 For they eat the bread of wickedness, and drink the wine of violence.
18 But the path of the just is as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day.
19 The way of the wicked is as darkness: they know not at what they stumble.

1 Corinthians 9:24 Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.
25 And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.
26 I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:
27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

Ok this is a fair point, and all the verses about stumbling.
The answer was already told by Jesus, f any man walks in the day, he stumbles not, because they see the light of this world.

( Jesus had testified in John 8, He is the light of the world, and to follow Jesus is to not walk in darkness, but we shall have the light of life.)

How do we not stumble and yet John says "And if anyone sins..."? This is what I am unclear about.
Is there a difference missing in our understanding between "sin" and "stumbling"?

If anyone sins, they walk in darkness, they are stumbling.

Our eye has to be single, for our whole body to be full of light, and when our eye is evil, our body is full of darkness.

(A little leaven, leaveneth the whole lump, he that is unjust in little, is unjust also in much. Luke 16:10. 1 Corinthians 5:6.)

Then we have to believe carefully, that the light we think we are walking in ( in the light of the Lord. Ephesians 5:8.) is not darkness, ( we are in darkness until now when we commit sin against our neighbour. 1 John 2:9.)

Our whole body has to be full of light, having no part dark, then the whole is full of light. ( committing sin is darkness, and is, as testified, our body is full of darkness.)

Now we have the fruit of the Spirit, IN ALL GOODNESS AND RIGHTEOUSNESS AND TRUTH. ( no part dark, no thorns or briers. Matthew 7:16. 7:18.)

That proves what is acceptable to the Lord ( committing sin and all stumbling at times is not acceptable to the Lord, because as told yesterday, that is testified that we do not know the Lord God in this way of hateful wickedness.)

Then we have no fellowship with those unfruitful workers of darkness, we rather reprove them ( as all on he forum have this reproving, yet cant seem to accept it.)

The sons they commit and state they cant help it, are shameful, yet it is what is done of them in secret, and that is why they do not walk in the light, but in darkness, and stumble/sin.

Luke 11:34 The light of the body is the eye: therefore when thine eye is single, thy whole body also is full of light; but when thine eye is evil, thy body also is full of darkness.
35 Take heed therefore that the light which is in thee be not darkness.
36 If thy whole body therefore be full of light, having no part dark, the whole shall be full of light, as when the bright shining of a candle doth give thee light.

Ephesians 5:8 For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:
9 (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;)
10 Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord.
11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.
12 For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret.

1 John 2:9 He that saith he is in the light, and hateth his brother, is in darkness even until now.

Ok this is a fair point, and all the verses about stumbling.

How do we not stumble and yet John says "And if anyone sins..."? This is what I am unclear about.
Is there a difference missing in our understanding between "sin" and "stumbling"?
I wonder if the words "keep his commandments" play a larger role than we are giving it. When we are talking about loving your brother and abiding in the light if you do, it begs the question as to what loving your brother means in order for there to be light such that one does not stumble.

The epistle of 1 John was written to a congregation. I have chosen NASB because that is quite close to the original Greek. The question: How do we explain the apparent contradictions that are highlighted? Is it possible to sin, and yet keep the commandments and having nothing in us to cause stumbling? Note: John does not condone sin. He is simply stating that if we sin.

1 John Ch 2 (https://biblehub.com/nasb_/1_john/2.htm)

1 My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous; 2 and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

3 By this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments. 4 The one who says, “I have come to know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him; 5 but whoever follows His word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected. By this we know that we are in Him: 6 the one who says that he remains in Him ought, himself also, walk just as He walked.

7 Beloved, I am not writing a new commandment to you, but an old commandment which you have had from the beginning; the old commandment is the word which you have heard. 8[c]On the other hand, I am writing a new commandment to you, which is true in Him and in you, because the darkness is passing away and the true Light is already shining. 9 The one who says that he is in the Light and yet hates his brother or sister is in the darkness until now. 10 The one who loves his brother and sister remains in the Light, and there is nothing in him to cause stumbling. 11 But the one who hates his brother or sister is in the darkness and walks in the darkness, and does not know where he is going because the darkness has blinded his eyes.

How to explain this?
There is no contradiction.
(paraphrase of 1 John 2:1)...."I write to you so you don't sin.
If a man sins, we have an advocate he can use."
How is that contrary?
The "man" from verse 2 is someone who has not heard of or known the Advocate, for if he knew Him he would not sin.

If anyone sins, they walk in darkness, they are stumbling.

Our eye has to be single, for our whole body to be full of light, and when our eye is evil, our body is full of darkness.

(A little leaven, leaveneth the whole lump, he that is unjust in little, is unjust also in much. Luke 16:10. 1 Corinthians 5:6.)

Then we have to believe carefully, that the light we think we are walking in ( in the light of the Lord. Ephesians 5:8.) is not darkness, ( we are in darkness until now when we commit sin against our neighbour. 1 John 2:9.)

Our whole body has to be full of light, having no part dark, then the whole is full of light. ( committing sin is darkness, and is, as testified, our body is full of darkness.)

Now we have the fruit of the Spirit, IN ALL GOODNESS AND RIGHTEOUSNESS AND TRUTH. ( no part dark, no thorns or briers. Matthew 7:16. 7:18.)

That proves what is acceptable to the Lord ( committing sin and all stumbling at times is not acceptable to the Lord, because as told yesterday, that is testified that we do not know the Lord God in this way of hateful wickedness.)

Then we have no fellowship with those unfruitful workers of darkness, we rather reprove them ( as all on he forum have this reproving, yet cant seem to accept it.)

The sons they commit and state they cant help it, are shameful, yet it is what is done of them in secret, and that is why they do not walk in the light, but in darkness, and stumble/sin.

Luke 11:34 The light of the body is the eye: therefore when thine eye is single, thy whole body also is full of light; but when thine eye is evil, thy body also is full of darkness.
35 Take heed therefore that the light which is in thee be not darkness.
36 If thy whole body therefore be full of light, having no part dark, the whole shall be full of light, as when the bright shining of a candle doth give thee light.

Ephesians 5:8 For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:
9 (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;)
10 Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord.
11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.
12 For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret.

1 John 2:9 He that saith he is in the light, and hateth his brother, is in darkness even until now.
These are all inspiring metaphors but what does it mean concretely?

There is no contradiction.
(paraphrase of 1 John 2:1)...."I write to you so you don't sin.
If a man sins, we have an advocate he can use."
How is that contrary?
The "man" from verse 2 is someone who has not heard of or known the Advocate, for if he knew Him he would not sin.
I appreciate your response, but really sorry, I can't see where this makes sense.

How can Jesus be someone's advocate, if that person does not know or has rejected Jesus? This to me does not make sense. I think Jesus would be our Advocate only if we accept Him. He is our intercessor.

Also why would John refer to people who do not know the Advocate, if this whole epistle was written to fellow believers? The first sentence in this verse is "My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin." - John is using "My little children" as a term of endearment. So surely he would be writing to the congregation and not people who don't know the Advocate?

I appreciate your response, but really sorry, I can't see where this makes sense.
Jesus can't be the advocate for those who don't know Him.
That is why John wrote "If any man sin we have an advocate..."
The "any man" is he who doesn't know Him.
How can Jesus be someone's advocate, if that person does not know or has rejected Jesus? This to me does not make sense. I think Jesus would be our Advocate only if we accept Him. He is our intercessor.
Agreed.
It is up us who have already used the Advocate to tell those still in sin about Him.
Also why would John refer to people who do not know the Advocate, if this whole epistle was written to fellow believers? The first sentence in this verse is "My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin." - John is using "My little children" as a term of endearment. So surely he would be writing to the congregation and not people who don't know the Advocate?
John is showing what we are to do for those who don't know Him.

How do we know we know Him?
It is written..."And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments." (1 John 2:3)

"I think Jesus would be our Advocate only if we accept Him. He is our intercessor."

"Agreed.
It is up us who have already used the Advocate to tell those still in sin about Him."

Does it matter if the wicked join in hand ( in agreement with one another) or they will be punished, as the righteous will be delivered..

Proverbs 11:21 Though hand join in hand, the wicked shall not be unpunished: but the seed of the righteous shall be delivered.

Proverbs 16:5 Every one that is proud in heart is an abomination to the Lord: though hand join in hand, he shall not be unpunished.

Nobody accepts Jesus, and nobody uses the Son of God as an advocate. ( He is the propitiation for our sins, and for the sins of the whole world. 1 John 2:2.)

But what the Apostles ( as eye witnesses) testified, that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world, for us to confess ( through belief in knowing the same as the Apostles of the Lord, from their same testimony of Jesus Christ.) that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, and this is God dwelling in us and we in God.

It is knowing and believing in the love that God had for us, ( for God to die for us.) and God is love, and if we dwell in love we dwell in God and God is in us.

That is our love made perfect, for us to have boldness in the day of judgement. to be in this world( in love) the same as God is. ( known and believed in ,love.)

1 John 4:14 And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world.
15 Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.
16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.
17 Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.

The thread is loving our brother, it is abiding in the light, it is belief in the LIGHT, OF LIFE.

John 1:4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

John 12:36 While ye have light, believe in the light, that ye may be the children of light. These things spake Jesus, and departed, and did hide himself from them.

"I think Jesus would be our Advocate only if we accept Him. He is our intercessor."
"Agreed.
It is up us who have already used the Advocate to tell those still in sin about Him."
Does it matter if the wicked join in hand ( in agreement with one another) or they will be punished, as the righteous will be delivered.. use His as our Advocate
If this is some kind of chastisement for agreeing we must accept Christ in order to...everything with/by Christ, your arrows are way off base.
1 John 4:14 And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world.
Are you like Him in this world?

The thread is loving our brother, it is abiding in the light, it is belief in the LIGHT, OF LIFE.

John 1:4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

John 12:36 While ye have light, believe in the light, that ye may be the children of light. These things spake Jesus, and departed, and did hide himself from them.
What does this mean to you in terms of daily choices?

Two people with questions, and yet they do not know where we receive our answers from ?

1 Peter 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
16 Having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ.

That is the Lord God in our heart, no need to ask someone if you have Him also in your heart.

The daily choice would be to know Jesus Christ ( in our heart) then we know the daily choices are knowing Jesus Christ, and it is the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

If we were like the Son of God in this world, we would be persecuted by the world, hated, and not loved, the same way the world hated Jesus Christ, and asked him questions, tempting him, and the world loves its own and continues to ask questions, revealing they are the same ones, just as Jesus had testified they will do the same as they did to Him.

Matthew 22:35 Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying,

John 15:18 If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.

John 15:19 If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.

Two people with questions, and yet they do not know where we receive our answers from ?

1 Peter 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
16 Having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ.
You are mistaken. I was asking if you take the metaphors in scripture and incorporate them into your life (choices.)

Ironically, you quote the verse that admonishes you to be ready to give AN ANSWER, and instead of doing so, you hide behind a verse or give a metaphor. Giving AN ANSWER is not quoting someone else’s answer. Those who can read are able to quote the Bible.

Last edited:
Back