Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Heart burn and ulcers - weaning off Omeprazole

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

stovebolts

A few years ago, I got an ulcer from taking too much Aleve for a bad. My heartburn was so bad that the pain goes into my right ear. As a result, the doctor prescribed Omeprazole which is just a generic version of Prilosec to stop heartburn by reducing the amount of acid our bodies make and Celebrex for inflammation in my hip.

I was on Celebrex and Omeprazole for just over two years, and I started having some real gastrointestinal issues including horrendous hemorrhoidal flares, bleeding along with irregular bowl movements and "leaking", which to say the least is very embarrassing. Oh, and for the first time in my life, I was diagnosed with high blood pressure. Being a former runner and fairly active, this really concerned me.

It got to the point that I just didn't want to live this way any longer, so I made an appointment with the dr. In that conversation I was told that I would end up taking Omeprazole for the rest of my life and that with all medications, there were side effects. I went home and looked up the side effects and they were exactly what I was experiencing, including high blood pressure. Oh, and you should not take the two medicines at the same time. Go figure. At that very moment I vowed to never take either medicine again.

I went to the health food store, and they recommended "Lily of the desert" - Stomach formula ($17) and sipping vinegar. We made our own sipping vinegar using apple cider vinegar (with mother), honey and ginger (in paste form). The sipping vinegar is about as bad as a cheap whiskey going down, but it relieves any heart burn in a matter of seconds. It's good stuff! I also changed my diet to eat more fiber, less red meat and nothing spicy, including peperoni pizza :-(

I've been off the Omeprazole and Celebrex for about a month now and I'm not going to lie. The first week was very painful. I was taking the "Lily of the desert" four times a day and supplementing with antacid pills and sipping vinegar. I almost went back to the prescription drugs just because it was so high maintenance. However, my blood pressure really concerned me, and I was tired of wondering if I smelt like poop and was just "nose blind". So, I decided to keep doing what I set out to do.

Slowly each day got better and better and God is so good. He created an amazing body for us to dwell in and I have to say that the longer I stayed away from the prescriptions, the less I've had to rely on the 'Lily of the desert' and sipping vinegar. As a matter of fact, yesterday I only took 'Lily of the desert' once and sipping vinegar three times. Today, I have not had a need for either.

Late last week I remember waking up and thinking, "Wow, no heart burn". It's such an amazing feeling when you've been dealing with heartburn for so many years. It's been a week since I've woke up with heartburn. I absolutely love it. Oh, and my blood pressure was 122 over 78 today. A far cry from where I was a month ago and a far cry from January when my doctor told me that if my blood pressure continued to stay where it was at, I would have to take medicine to control it.

What's my takeaway? Don't depend on all the prescription drugs for long term. Sometimes they can cause harm if you take them for long periods of time. Short term is ok, but maybe natural remedies are a better long term solution, even if they are not as convenient as some of the prescription drugs.

A few years ago, I got an ulcer from taking too much Aleve for a bad. My heartburn was so bad that the pain goes into my right ear. As a result, the doctor prescribed Omeprazole which is just a generic version of Prilosec to stop heartburn by reducing the amount of acid our bodies make and Celebrex for inflammation in my hip.

I was on Celebrex and Omeprazole for just over two years, and I started having some real gastrointestinal issues including horrendous hemorrhoidal flares, bleeding along with irregular bowl movements and "leaking", which to say the least is very embarrassing. Oh, and for the first time in my life, I was diagnosed with high blood pressure. Being a former runner and fairly active, this really concerned me.

It got to the point that I just didn't want to live this way any longer, so I made an appointment with the dr. In that conversation I was told that I would end up taking Omeprazole for the rest of my life and that with all medications, there were side effects. I went home and looked up the side effects and they were exactly what I was experiencing, including high blood pressure. Oh, and you should not take the two medicines at the same time. Go figure. At that very moment I vowed to never take either medicine again.

I went to the health food store, and they recommended "Lily of the desert" - Stomach formula ($17) and sipping vinegar. We made our own sipping vinegar using apple cider vinegar (with mother), honey and ginger (in paste form). The sipping vinegar is about as bad as a cheap whiskey going down, but it relieves any heart burn in a matter of seconds. It's good stuff! I also changed my diet to eat more fiber, less red meat and nothing spicy, including peperoni pizza :-(

I've been off the Omeprazole and Celebrex for about a month now and I'm not going to lie. The first week was very painful. I was taking the "Lily of the desert" four times a day and supplementing with antacid pills and sipping vinegar. I almost went back to the prescription drugs just because it was so high maintenance. However, my blood pressure really concerned me, and I was tired of wondering if I smelt like poop and was just "nose blind". So, I decided to keep doing what I set out to do.

Slowly each day got better and better and God is so good. He created an amazing body for us to dwell in and I have to say that the longer I stayed away from the prescriptions, the less I've had to rely on the 'Lily of the desert' and sipping vinegar. As a matter of fact, yesterday I only took 'Lily of the desert' once and sipping vinegar three times. Today, I have not had a need for either.

Late last week I remember waking up and thinking, "Wow, no heart burn". It's such an amazing feeling when you've been dealing with heartburn for so many years. It's been a week since I've woke up with heartburn. I absolutely love it. Oh, and my blood pressure was 122 over 78 today. A far cry from where I was a month ago and a far cry from January when my doctor told me that if my blood pressure continued to stay where it was at, I would have to take medicine to control it.

What's my takeaway? Don't depend on all the prescription drugs for long term. Sometimes they can cause harm if you take them for long periods of time. Short term is ok, but maybe natural remedies are a better long term solution, even if they are not as convenient as some of the prescription drugs.
While that worked out for you,not all is can.mom ,brother are high bp from genetic .mom has low weight and eats healthy .I have asthma .so much that I was asked or told my sacs we're closing in an xray and said when I had that done I had wheezing .I took advair,the wheezing and coughing stopped in minutes .

While that worked out for you,not all is can.mom ,brother are high bp from genetic .mom has low weight and eats healthy .I have asthma .so much that I was asked or told my sacs we're closing in an xray and said when I had that done I had wheezing .I took advair,the wheezing and coughing stopped in minutes .
Yes, I understand what your saying, even though your autocorrect butchered your post lol!

In my case, the ulcer was self inflicted from taking too much Aleve. The high blood pressure was caused by the Celebrex and Omeprazole combined. The Gerd and bowel issues were caused by years of Omeprazole to treat the ulcer…. It is one big circle that was self inflicted. Much different than genetics.

Yes, I understand what your saying, even though your autocorrect butchered your post lol!

In my case, the ulcer was self inflicted from taking too much Aleve. The high blood pressure was caused by the Celebrex and Omeprazole combined. The Gerd and bowel issues were caused by years of Omeprazole to treat the ulcer…. It is one big circle that was self inflicted. Much different than genetics.
My wife has dealt with that .I would have to ask ,something with tea she does

I used to have heartburn real bad. Would wake up in the middle of the night at the first sensation. Antacids seemed to be useless. When I woke up with the sensation, I would go eat a couple rye crisp crackers. They were just plain dry crackers with no salt. They would tamp it down and with a few sips of water, I would be able to go back to sleep.

Two things I eventually did. I went out and spent the money on a Sleep Number bed with a fully adjustable bed frame so I could comfortably sleep with my head slightly elevated. But the biggest difference for me came when I first attempted the Atkins diet. It was a high protein high fat diet with virtually no carbohydrates. I did not believe in cutting out all carbohydrates, so instead I cut out all simple and processed carbohydrates, white breads, white rice, pasta, etc.. concentrating instead on eating the healthy whole grains and legumes. It was then that I notice that my nightly episodes were few and far between. I used to think green onions were one of those trigger foods for me, but now I no longer worry about eating them. Beer on the other hand, if I have more than 1 bottle, it tends to leave my stomach a bit unsettled.

A lot of the time, the problem with heart burn and ulcers is that in the stomach there's too little acid, not too much, and some of these medications help for a time, but don't nip the problem in the bud and makes conditions worse over time.

I can recall times in my life where I had bad heart burn. One of the times was with my second pregnancy - it was near debilitating, but a teaspoon of the organic raw apple cider vinegar (with the mother) helped right away so I always had a bottle of that stuff, but I know our diet wasn't great at that time because was had a cockroach infestation and they were getting into the fridge, the pantry, I couldn't even cook ground beef on the stove without a roach literally hopping into his own death for the sake of food.

I also had a bad ulcer when I was younger. No matter what I had eaten or even if I had only water or an electrolyte drink of some kind, it kept trying to come up. The doctor said she was puzzled as she had multiple patients that day come in with the same exact symptoms, but when I called and they said they had the results they didn't tell me. They just told me, "You're fine." and nothing else...but something was so wrong....but I figured that perhaps it was a peptic ulcer because our area experienced a wildfire and we were close to it and were evacuated twice. When we came back and the fire was out, the smoke traveled from the fire for days and everything reeked of heavy smoke.

In my adult life, I got an allergy test done using my hair and I owe my health to it. It showed things on there that I had food sensitivites to that I didn't realize. Some of it I took with a grain of salt because it would say something bothered me, but if I ate it organically it didn't. I have looked back at the results because it tests for hundreds of foods, plants, etc. as well as vitamin deficiencies and such and I couldn't remember it all. I did develop an allergy to rice, but before it was a full blown allergy, it was in red on my test saying I was sensitive to it, but I thought it didn't bother me. Turns out things only got worse and it did...big time. I would find myself sneezing after some foods and getting runny/stuffy noses, but assumed it was all outdoors or something, but some there were multiple things that I can't have. I'm starting to have an issue with nuts, which worries me to death. I am fine with peanut, but it seems like almonds, pistachios, and hazelnuts get me sneezing like crazy for a while.

I do have problems with just about every grain except for corn and quinoa. Wheat is a huge problem for me and in my adult life I did quit it once after my mom said she felt better after ditching the wheat - she lost a lot of weight and felt so much better. She didn't have anymore nasty chicken skin on her legs. Eventually, I gave it a go - didn't think it'd do anything for me, but it became everything. I had less issues with my health. I have slipped in the past year or so due to being so tired and sometimes grabbing for the easiest thing. While I try to keep wheat products out of my house, once in a while there's something, and it's so addictive. I can say, though, I am trying to get back on the non-wheat and mostly-grain free diet because it helped me so much, I had never felt better about myself. I feel best on a paleo diet. I could technically be on keto, but I'm concerned I wouldn't be able to keep up with all the good fats I need or remember to take them or put them in everything to keep myself going even though that is probably what my brain needs at times is the fat.

Who knew all those years I was suffering with my health that it was wheat? >_< Makes me feel horrible about how that could've been prevented if only I would have known about it earlier in life, that is. No telling how much damage it has done me.

It's not only the wheat itself, I'm sure it's probably the way they modify it (the roots don't go as deep in the ground for quicker, easier harvests so it misses out on many vital nutrients, the pesticides that are often sprayed on it or cross-contaminated with organics, etc).

I am so glad that things have gotten better for you without the prescription medications.

I miss the 15 months I was able to be off of all of my medications. I felt like I was on top of the world, ready to conquer each day with a positive spirit. I feel tired all the time when I'm on my medication, but I don't honestly have a choice anymore...it makes me super depressed and often times I feel helpless about that...I don't want to depend on that, but...I guess for me and my condition I can become a danger to myself or others without it and if it's working and keeping my brain working and functional then it is what it is...but the chemicals in those prescriptions worries me, I'm never convinced that I'm going to live very long and God has honestly been the only one keeping me alive over these years. Natural remedies don't always work 100% of the time because the amount of triggers for my condition are too numerous - dehydration, not enough sleep (having kids, it can be hard to get a full, good night's rest), the debatable Electromagnetic Fields coming off of all this technology, food allergies/sensitivities, getting jet-lagged from airplane travel, catching an illness, etc. I only pray that I'll be alive long enough to see my kids into adulthood and have them be fully set on their own before God takes me away.

Even on prescription medication, though, positive life changes improve things a whole lot - good diet, plenty of sunshine, staying hydrated, sleeping well, and exercising...not to mention God's hand in all of that, too.

If a person can get off their medication safely with their doctors go ahead then definitely do it! It's always worth it to try!

A lot of the time, the problem with heart burn and ulcers is that in the stomach there's too little acid, not too much, and some of these medications help for a time, but don't nip the problem in the bud and makes conditions worse over time.

I can recall times in my life where I had bad heart burn. One of the times was with my second pregnancy - it was near debilitating, but a teaspoon of the organic raw apple cider vinegar (with the mother) helped right away so I always had a bottle of that stuff, but I know our diet wasn't great at that time because was had a cockroach infestation and they were getting into the fridge, the pantry, I couldn't even cook ground beef on the stove without a roach literally hopping into his own death for the sake of food.

I also had a bad ulcer when I was younger. No matter what I had eaten or even if I had only water or an electrolyte drink of some kind, it kept trying to come up. The doctor said she was puzzled as she had multiple patients that day come in with the same exact symptoms, but when I called and they said they had the results they didn't tell me. They just told me, "You're fine." and nothing else...but something was so wrong....but I figured that perhaps it was a peptic ulcer because our area experienced a wildfire and we were close to it and were evacuated twice. When we came back and the fire was out, the smoke traveled from the fire for days and everything reeked of heavy smoke.

In my adult life, I got an allergy test done using my hair and I owe my health to it. It showed things on there that I had food sensitivites to that I didn't realize. Some of it I took with a grain of salt because it would say something bothered me, but if I ate it organically it didn't. I have looked back at the results because it tests for hundreds of foods, plants, etc. as well as vitamin deficiencies and such and I couldn't remember it all. I did develop an allergy to rice, but before it was a full blown allergy, it was in red on my test saying I was sensitive to it, but I thought it didn't bother me. Turns out things only got worse and it did...big time. I would find myself sneezing after some foods and getting runny/stuffy noses, but assumed it was all outdoors or something, but some there were multiple things that I can't have. I'm starting to have an issue with nuts, which worries me to death. I am fine with peanut, but it seems like almonds, pistachios, and hazelnuts get me sneezing like crazy for a while.

I do have problems with just about every grain except for corn and quinoa. Wheat is a huge problem for me and in my adult life I did quit it once after my mom said she felt better after ditching the wheat - she lost a lot of weight and felt so much better. She didn't have anymore nasty chicken skin on her legs. Eventually, I gave it a go - didn't think it'd do anything for me, but it became everything. I had less issues with my health. I have slipped in the past year or so due to being so tired and sometimes grabbing for the easiest thing. While I try to keep wheat products out of my house, once in a while there's something, and it's so addictive. I can say, though, I am trying to get back on the non-wheat and mostly-grain free diet because it helped me so much, I had never felt better about myself. I feel best on a paleo diet. I could technically be on keto, but I'm concerned I wouldn't be able to keep up with all the good fats I need or remember to take them or put them in everything to keep myself going even though that is probably what my brain needs at times is the fat.

Who knew all those years I was suffering with my health that it was wheat? >_< Makes me feel horrible about how that could've been prevented if only I would have known about it earlier in life, that is. No telling how much damage it has done me.

It's not only the wheat itself, I'm sure it's probably the way they modify it (the roots don't go as deep in the ground for quicker, easier harvests so it misses out on many vital nutrients, the pesticides that are often sprayed on it or cross-contaminated with organics, etc).

I am so glad that things have gotten better for you without the prescription medications.

I miss the 15 months I was able to be off of all of my medications. I felt like I was on top of the world, ready to conquer each day with a positive spirit. I feel tired all the time when I'm on my medication, but I don't honestly have a choice anymore...it makes me super depressed and often times I feel helpless about that...I don't want to depend on that, but...I guess for me and my condition I can become a danger to myself or others without it and if it's working and keeping my brain working and functional then it is what it is...but the chemicals in those prescriptions worries me, I'm never convinced that I'm going to live very long and God has honestly been the only one keeping me alive over these years. Natural remedies don't always work 100% of the time because the amount of triggers for my condition are too numerous - dehydration, not enough sleep (having kids, it can be hard to get a full, good night's rest), the debatable Electromagnetic Fields coming off of all this technology, food allergies/sensitivities, getting jet-lagged from airplane travel, catching an illness, etc. I only pray that I'll be alive long enough to see my kids into adulthood and have them be fully set on their own before God takes me away.

Even on prescription medication, though, positive life changes improve things a whole lot - good diet, plenty of sunshine, staying hydrated, sleeping well, and exercising...not to mention God's hand in all of that, too.

If a person can get off their medication safely with their doctors go ahead then definitely do it! It's always worth it to try!
YES! Indigestion is caused by too little stomach acid and not from too much acid. Apple Cider Vinegar is the age old recipe for this. Also a very common yet over looked condition in the US is H-Pylori infection. Get checked for this specifically. Go to multiple doctors until you find one who will have you tested for it. It is easily treated with antibiotics, but if left untreated, will eventually turn to cancer. Research it. Our son was on a liquid diet for 5 years from massive H-Pylori infection. Finally got meds on the sly. He recovered to solid food. Still has restrictions as to what he can eat due to extreme esophogal scarring.

This doesn't address your OP, Stovebolts, but this thread is about heartburn so I'll share a couple experiences if that's okay.

Back in 1978 when my dad was 50 years old he got up one morning complaining about how he suffered a terrible heartburn all night. I remember him saying that he was eating a lot of antacids but they just didn't seem to help. He went in to the doctor to see if he could maybe get a stronger antacid prescribed. They did some tests and discovered that he was suffering from a mild heart attack! Persistent heartburn is not something to ignore, especially if antacids don't help.

About 15 years ago I was struggling with frequent heartburn for quite a while, like months. As typical it was mostly at night but often during the day as well but antacids were usually pretty effective. One day, it was particularly bothersome so, remembering my dad's experience, I decided to stop in at the clinic on my way home from work to have it checked out. Since it was past clinic hours and before urgent care was available, I just swung into the emergency room. I walked in and said, "I have this pain..." while pointing at my chest and before I could utter another word, they were wheeling me into a bed and hooking up sensors to my body. Turned out to be just a bad acid reflux so I was prescribed a stronger antacid and it was taken care of.

Sometime later and unrelated to this incident, I was at work one day and I was thinking about all the coffee I was drinking. Having an office job with coffee available all the time it seemed I always had a cup on my desk cup warmer. Knowing about the negative effects of too much caffein, I decided that maybe I should try switching to decaf. To my surprise I discovered that almost immediately my frequent heartburn issue went away completely. I decided to look up the side effects of too much decaf coffee and the first item listed was heartburn because decaf coffee still contains the acid as much as caffeinated coffee. But for me it appears that the acid in the coffee wasn't the problem. It was the caffein. To this day if I drink caffeinated coffee, I have to have antacids handy because usually within a couple hours I'll start to have issues with heartburn.

WIP Thanks for the reply. I’m not sure if I posted this already or not, but I did cut my coffee consumption to one cup a day and I believe it’s made a difference.

I’m be heard about heart attacks causing heartburn, but it’s something that’s not alked about very often. Personally, I had forgotten about that.

Isn’t it amazing how simply changing our diet can have such a dramatic difference in our health!

I take Omeprazole for acid reflux. I had high blood pressure even before I started taking it. It's in control on medication.

Good you are back on track. I say the same thing about medications. I refuse to take anything long term and if I do have any issues, I can always find a natural solution as you did. What do our bodies need? I like to go back to the ancients (which BTW is not un-biblical) regarding the types of matter and energy. What this did not realize is they were really describing states of matter. Anyway, there was earth, water, air and fire (the latter being energy). So, it's the same with the body -- earth, good nutritious foods, minimally processed. Also supplements are good but keep them natural (such as fish oil) and not a chemical whipped up in a lab. Good, clean water, with some of the minerals, thus spring water if you can get good stuff over purified water stripped of minerals. Good, clean fresh country air, and lastly, lots of sunshine as you move about jogging, walking or whatever you do now. The body God gave you will do the rest. The bible also gives dietary advice in that only certain meats should be eaten as those that are forbidden seem to have a higher toxicity/disease level I noticed, so no pork or shellfish for me. Vegetarian cattle, scaly fish and certain fowl only. Also, the 7 staples of Israel (but I love to include almonds, too lol) are good, wholesome foods in the vegetarian category. Do all this and things will turn out the best possible without much help from a doctor.

Good you are back on track. I say the same thing about medications. I refuse to take anything long term and if I do have any issues, I can always find a natural solution as you did. What do our bodies need? I like to go back to the ancients (which BTW is not un-biblical) regarding the types of matter and energy. What this did not realize is they were really describing states of matter. Anyway, there was earth, water, air and fire (the latter being energy). So, it's the same with the body -- earth, good nutritious foods, minimally processed. Also supplements are good but keep them natural (such as fish oil) and not a chemical whipped up in a lab. Good, clean water, with some of the minerals, thus spring water if you can get good stuff over purified water stripped of minerals. Good, clean fresh country air, and lastly, lots of sunshine as you move about jogging, walking or whatever you do now. The body God gave you will do the rest. The bible also gives dietary advice in that only certain meats should be eaten as those that are forbidden seem to have a higher toxicity/disease level I noticed, so no pork or shellfish for me. Vegetarian cattle, scaly fish and certain fowl only. Also, the 7 staples of Israel (but I love to include almonds, too lol) are good, wholesome foods in the vegetarian category. Do all this and things will turn out the best possible without much help from a doctor.
I’m on day two of no heartburn without taking any supplements!

Looking back, I’m pretty sure the medication I was on was fixing an issue it caused…

I take Omeprazole for acid reflux. I had high blood pressure even before I started taking it. It's in control on medication.
I’m not sure what’s causing your acid reflux, but my experience with Omeprazole caused intestinal issues, frequent going to the bathroom and at the end, my tush would “ leek” after going until I walked around for a few minutes. It also inflamed my hemroids.

I’ve been off the meds for over a month now and I feel great. I’m not having any of those issues described above and I’m on day two of no heartburn without taking any supplements.

I’m not going to lie. It was a hard transition to get off the meds. Several times early on I wondered if it was worth it. But I powered my way through.

You can make your own sipping vinegar, it’s super easy and works better than antacids. Get apple cider vinegar (with mother) and add some honey and ginger root. I’ve been told it helps you loose weight too. Bonus!

I’m not sure what’s causing your acid reflux, but my experience with Omeprazole caused intestinal issues, frequent going to the bathroom and at the end, my tush would “ leek” after going until I walked around for a few minutes. It also inflamed my hemroids.

I’ve been off the meds for over a month now and I feel great. I’m not having any of those issues described above and I’m on day two of no heartburn without taking any supplements.

I’m not going to lie. It was a hard transition to get off the meds. Several times early on I wondered if it was worth it. But I powered my way through.

You can make your own sipping vinegar, it’s super easy and works better than antacids. Get apple cider vinegar (with mother) and add some honey and ginger root. I’ve been told it helps you loose weight too. Bonus!
Thing is I have an incredibly hard time building new habits thanks to ADHD. So anything that requires lifestyle change is incredibly hard for me, 10 times harder than for people without ADHD. I am trying to lead a more healthy lifestyle very slowly, but in the meantime/if I don't make it there for a long time I figure the meds are better than doing nothing about it.

So glad to here you are on the mend ! A lot of the Rx prescribed is a patch and not a cure by any means . Herbs and other natural remedies are my go to and I have good results . I have rode on the doctor's pill trains for years till I finally got off , I blame the medical training they receive these days , big pharma is right there in the schools with them .
It got to the point that I just didn't want to live this way any longer, so I made an appointment with the dr. In that conversation I was told that I would end up taking Omeprazole for the rest of my life and that with all medications, there were side effects.
Back about a year and half ago I fell and broke my upper arm bone and jammed the shoulder bad too along with breaking a small leg bone , rough on an old man . No cast was indicated you just get to suffer with the arm where i broke it so I got some pain pills and they wreaked my digestion and I later developed heartburn when I would lay down at night . Doc gave me some purple pills :rolleyes , they helped some . I saw on another bible forum that a brother was have similar trouble he cured with HCL stomach acid pills and guess what that fixed my problem too ! I had an appointment with a gastro doc but took a long time to see him and by then I was no longer having any problems 🙂 .

stovebolts Did you go back and tell your doctor you kicked the omeprazole to the curb and had fixed your problem ?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back