Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Tanya333

So I’m confused.
I guess I can call this as me going through a faith/spiritual/religious crisis. This has been going on months and years now.
I’m going back and forth between belief and non-belief in God, and I just can’t decide. I’m stuck right smack in the middle. It’s the most uncomfortable feeling. I just don’t feel any connection towards God. I’ve asked him multiple time to please help me, help my unbelief. Ive been also just questioning the Bible’s accuracy. What should I do, what should I read, research? Where do I turn? Any advice on how I can deal with this?

I’m just about to give up at this point. I’ve never felt so exhausted.

I’m not sure how much longer I can hold on.

Depends what is meant by faith.
I have faith when I click a light switch the light will come on.
I do not have faith if I buy a lottery ticket I will win.
Faith is better called trust.
Because of the historical facts that Jesus lived, was executed, buried and rose from the dead I know my sins are forgiven.
If someone could prove Jesus did not rise from the dead as a physical being I would not have any trust that my sins are forgiven.

Yes we have to have faith or trust in Jesus, but it is a trust or faith in what we know is certain, it is not a leap into the dark hoping there's something to land on.
I think you make a good point that faith is not a hope in the dark but an assurance or confidence of what one believes.

What really cemented my faith years ago in large part was the realization that there was really no alternative to belief in God. We can disbelieve a building standing before us, but in the end it does not change the tangible structure. This becomes a bit more muddy when we cant see or talk to God the way were normally used to with each other, and thus its confusing at times.

I was raised in church and for the most part didnt question Gods existence,but it certainly didnt show in my thoughts and actions. One day I got curious as to why atheists so militantly defended their perspective so I hung out in some chat forums, talking and debating until I realized I didnt have any answers for some of the harder questions. I had no rebuttal to evolution (and at the time accepted it due to years of public school indoctrination), no idea how to answer many other questions posed. This put me on my heels a bit and for the first time made me question my faith.

I figured that if God were real there had to be some factual basis for faith whether its archaeological evidence, science based info,etc. This really put me down a road to find out and over the next couple of years I came to the point where I never doubted again. I discovered the many holes in the theory of evolution, the ton of archaeological evidence that supports the bible as well as learning philosophically why certain things panned out the way they did.

As pointed out by others, Christ is a historical figure who was crucified and later rose as testified by roman historians. Lets not forget that Jesus was sentenced by a roman governor to that crucifixion, so its particularly noteworthy in my eyes when your enemy basically testifies on your behalf.

If its evidence you seek,it exists in abundance. But you have to ask the critical questions and do the legwork to reach the answers. What it sounds like though is that youre not as skeptical as you may believe..and I could be wrong I fully admit. It sounds as if you know God exists but *want* to doubt because you dont have the intense emotional connection that you picture as being part of the package.To that end, all I can offer you is the truth. And that truth is simply that our current reality doesnt live up to the imaginative warm and fuzzies normally associated with belief in God.

Some do experience this, dont get me wrong. The average person goes through life with no particularly noteworthy event such as a miracle,direct communication,etc. Many are accepting of the bible for various reasons and some like to stand on a bit more solid intellectual ground. I wish things were different,it would make it alot easier to prove and display for both atheists and those like yourself. When we hear people on the TV and radio talk, its usually accompanied by these touching scenarios and promises of inner peace and joy associated with belief. Again (in my experience), this normally isnt the case. We simply go through day to day life with brief glimpses at this promised peace and joy.

Bear in mind that the human experience varies wildly from person to person. One guy might live a great life, needs fulfilled and smooth sailing. The next may struggle for everything, and another more desperate than he. Our various circumstances can have alot to do with our desire to acknowledge God and/or live up to the responsibility that comes with belief. I can use my current situation as example. The last 5 years have not been kind. Ive lost a marriage, a job that paid very well, my house, etc. The jobs i have worked are run by people that behave like enormous pricks. And to top it off,Ive basically given up on people in general. I know there are good people, but its just not worth it anymore to mess with most of them. In my current state, the questions creep in. Is this really all there is? Why do things have to be like this? Etc. And yet each time Im immediately reminded of the answers I received in the past. I know God is there. I know the promises made will be kept. I have zero doubt that Christ awaits me on the other side. I just know that I have to keep moving to get there. Excuse the long post, but hopefully something there helps.

So I’m confused.
I guess I can call this as me going through a faith/spiritual/religious crisis. This has been going on months and years now.
I’m going back and forth between belief and non-belief in God, and I just can’t decide. I’m stuck right smack in the middle. It’s the most uncomfortable feeling. I just don’t feel any connection towards God. I’ve asked him multiple time to please help me, help my unbelief. Ive been also just questioning the Bible’s accuracy. What should I do, what should I read, research? Where do I turn? Any advice on how I can deal with this?

You need psalm 10

The Perils of the Pilgrim
1Why standest thou afar off, O LORD? why hidest thou thyself in times of trouble?
2The wicked in his pride doth persecute the poor: let them be taken in the devices that they have imagined.
3For the wicked boasteth of his heart's desire, and blesseth the covetous, whom the LORD abhorreth.
4The wicked, through the pride of his countenance, will not seek after God: God is not in all his thoughts.
5His ways are always grievous; thy judgments are far above out of his sight: as for all his enemies, he puffeth at them.
6He hath said in his heart, I shall not be moved: for I shall never be in adversity.
7His mouth is full of cursing and deceit and fraud: under his tongue is mischief and vanity.
8He sitteth in the lurking places of the villages: in the secret places doth he murder the innocent: his eyes are privily set against the poor.
9He lieth in wait secretly as a lion in his den: he lieth in wait to catch the poor: he doth catch the poor, when he draweth him into his net.
10He croucheth, and humbleth himself, that the poor may fall by his strong ones.
11He hath said in his heart, God hath forgotten: he hideth his face; he will never see it.
12Arise, O LORD; O God, lift up thine hand: forget not the humble.
13Wherefore doth the wicked contemn God? he hath said in his heart, Thou wilt not require it.
14Thou hast seen it; for thou beholdest mischief and spite, to requite it with thy hand: the poor committeth himself unto thee; thou art the helper of the fatherless.
15Break thou the arm of the wicked and the evil man: seek out his wickedness till thou find none.
16The LORD is King for ever and ever: the heathen are perished out of his land.
17LORD, thou hast heard the desire of the humble: thou wilt prepare their heart, thou wilt cause thine ear to hear:
18To judge the fatherless and the oppressed, that the man of the earth may no more oppress.

You need psalm 10

The Perils of the Pilgrim
1Why standest thou afar off, O LORD? why hidest thou thyself in times of trouble?
2The wicked in his pride doth persecute the poor: let them be taken in the devices that they have imagined.
3For the wicked boasteth of his heart's desire, and blesseth the covetous, whom the LORD abhorreth.
4The wicked, through the pride of his countenance, will not seek after God: God is not in all his thoughts.
5His ways are always grievous; thy judgments are far above out of his sight: as for all his enemies, he puffeth at them.
6He hath said in his heart, I shall not be moved: for I shall never be in adversity.
7His mouth is full of cursing and deceit and fraud: under his tongue is mischief and vanity.
8He sitteth in the lurking places of the villages: in the secret places doth he murder the innocent: his eyes are privily set against the poor.
9He lieth in wait secretly as a lion in his den: he lieth in wait to catch the poor: he doth catch the poor, when he draweth him into his net.
10He croucheth, and humbleth himself, that the poor may fall by his strong ones.
11He hath said in his heart, God hath forgotten: he hideth his face; he will never see it.
12Arise, O LORD; O God, lift up thine hand: forget not the humble.
13Wherefore doth the wicked contemn God? he hath said in his heart, Thou wilt not require it.
14Thou hast seen it; for thou beholdest mischief and spite, to requite it with thy hand: the poor committeth himself unto thee; thou art the helper of the fatherless.
15Break thou the arm of the wicked and the evil man: seek out his wickedness till thou find none.
16The LORD is King for ever and ever: the heathen are perished out of his land.
17LORD, thou hast heard the desire of the humble: thou wilt prepare their heart, thou wilt cause thine ear to hear:
18To judge the fatherless and the oppressed, that the man of the earth may no more oppress.
I'm touched.

So I’m confused.

If you have no feeling for God, what are you about to give up?

If you don't believe, just walk away. Conflict solved. (John 6:66)

Quantrill

Tanya333. I hope you are still checking in. Don't give up. Continue seeking after God. You will find Him. It's His promise.

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart. I will be found by you, says the Lord.
Jeremiah 29:11-14 NKJV

I love those who love me,
And those who seek me diligently will find me.

Proverbs 8:17 NKJV

But from there you will seek the Lord your God, and you will find Him if you seek Him with all your heart and with all your soul. When you are in distress, and all these things come upon you in the latter days, when you turn to the Lord your God and obey His voice (for the Lord your God is a merciful God), He will not forsake you nor destroy you.
Deuteronomy 4:29-31 NKJV

“Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.
Matthew 7:7-8 NKJV

Make a decision and live with it.
How long does it take you to order at Taco Bell?
Right because the consequences are about the same right ? I mean who cares about going to hell, being deprived of fellowship and missing the main goal of your existence. After all its just a decision like which shoes to purchase or deodorant. Why dont you try to support this person rather than attack ? After all if all it is us making a decision then you can certainly make that one :)

So I’m confused.

Hi, just a thought, and you can dismiss it if you like. But is it possible that you may suffer from religious OCD/scrupulosity? To me it sounds like if this is a years-long experience, that it might be a deeper problem than simply unbelief.
Of course, that doesn't mean you necessarily have OCD, either. I guess the key questions to consider here are:
1. do you spend at least an hour most days obsessing over this?
2. does it cause you significant stress and anxiety?

If it's not OCD, then my suggestion would be...... you don't need to have it all figured out. It's good to look into apologetics and research, yes. In fact I would highly recommend it. But in the end.....Christianity is something that has to be taken on faith. That doesn't mean there isn't supporting evidence for Christianity. But there's always going to be reasons to doubt and question, no matter what your beliefs or ideology. Especially if you do have OCD--OCD is a monster that capitalizes on doubts, and even the most conclusive evidence will never be enough to dispel it.

Hi, just a thought, and you can dismiss it if you like. But is it possible that you may suffer from religious OCD/scrupulosity? To me it sounds like if this is a years-long experience, that it might be a deeper problem than simply unbelief.
Of course, that doesn't mean you necessarily have OCD, either. I guess the key questions to consider here are:
1. do you spend at least an hour most days obsessing over this?
2. does it cause you significant stress and anxiety?

If it's not OCD, then my suggestion would be...... you don't need to have it all figured out. It's good to look into apologetics and research, yes. In fact I would highly recommend it. But in the end.....Christianity is something that has to be taken on faith. That doesn't mean there isn't supporting evidence for Christianity. But there's always going to be reasons to doubt and question, no matter what your beliefs or ideology. Especially if you do have OCD--OCD is a monster that capitalizes on doubts, and even the most conclusive evidence will never be enough to dispel it.
I have ocd it is utter hell i just survived covid and ocd is worse and covid was worse than death .

Can relate to OCD. I've developed it over the years.
I have ocd it is utter hell i just survived covid and ocd is worse and covid was worse than death .
I was 11 when I had my first OCD episode. It's kindaaa mild for me? Like, the episodes themselves are not mild, but I consider it mild cuz it kinda comes and goes. I can go great lengths of time between episodes. Also, some symptoms (being unable to get rid of gross images in my head and feeling sick as a result) seemed to be more present when I was a kid.

I was 11 when I had my first OCD episode. It's kindaaa mild for me? Like, the episodes themselves are not mild, but I consider it mild cuz it kinda comes and goes. I can go great lengths of time between episodes. Also, some symptoms (being unable to get rid of gross images in my head and feeling sick as a result) seemed to be more present when I was a kid.
For 14 years i have had blasphemous thoughts and ive had those gross thoughts too for a majority of them . Im sorry for what youve gone through :)

Right because the consequences are about the same right ? I mean who cares about going to hell, being deprived of fellowship and missing the main goal of your existence. After all its just a decision like which shoes to purchase or deodorant. Why dont you try to support this person rather than attack ? After all if all it is us making a decision then you can certainly make that one :)
It wasn't an attack, but exhortation to move along.
Believe, (the topic with Tanya333, from 7 months ago), and act like a servant of God, or quit fooling oneself.
Make the decision !

So I’m confused.

Having faith in God means just that. You cannot work it out with your mind or your intellect. It is an act of faith that what he said is the truth. Jesus said he is the way, the truth and the life and no one comes to the Father but by him. If that is what he said then that is the truth.

The mind can be one of the biggest barriers to faith in Christ and this is where the atheist comes unstuck. Their faith is in their mind and if their mind doesn't come up with an answer they are up the creek without a paddle so they dismiss the truth about Jesus.

My daily walk is predicated on the fact that I have a relationship with God through his son Jesus by the Holy Spirit so I don't try and work things out. I let him do that I just follow his word and his promptings by the Holy Spirit. I don't always get it right but that is not his fault, it is mine.

Jesus said my sheep know my voice. How do you, can you know his voice? The only way that I know is by listening. A problem shared is a problem halved. He is my problem solver so I let him get on with it as I know whatever the outcome he has the best at heart for me.

If I had a basic lesson to share it is this. Listen, listen, listen. I mouth, two ears. Get the idea?

I’m a very undecisive person myself. Which is why deciding on my beliefs makes it even harder.
So much to think about.
It’s hard but it’s ok.
Hey Tanya, you are looking for God in your mind. I understand how difficult and even exhausting that can be and, no, it's not ok. It won't help, actually! Does reading recipes feed a starving person? You'll read recipes when you have food to cook. For the moment, look where you'll find God:

Factory-Supply-Customized-Resin-Statue-Scared-Heart-of-Jesus-Fiberglass-Sculpture-Fsb-34.jpg

Then don't try to hold on! I would suggest:
1- stop studying the Bible for a while.
2- do not ask God to help you with your beliefs. Ask him to let you feel his Peace and his Love. Once you'll have felt God's Peace and Love, little misunderstandings about the Bible won't be able to shake your faith.
3- request prayers for #2. This will help much more than more beliefs to think about.

So I’m confused.

Remember what Jesus said about lukewarm believers. Its actually the worst position to be in spiritually, because God repels that person and the devil has a chance to work harder in the persons life. Its better to be hot or cold according to Jesus Himself. You want strength, ask for desire for God, and do spiritual fasts more often. Fasting isnt just stay away from eating, but worldly things and praying more and reading the bible more.

So I’m confused.

I would like to offer a few things to consider; the bible can explain what you are going through.

First our salvation does not depend on us bringing us to Christ, and it does not depend on our efforts.

Jesus is the Vine, and His Father is the Husbandman. The husbandman is the same as the vinedresser, that prunes the branches on the vine and He is patient with us, waiting on the fruit to be produced in us, James 5:7. Therefore, we are the branches in Christ and It might seem painful, but God the Father prunes the branches (US), cut away at our sinful emotional selves in order to bear fruit pleasing to the Him, John 15:1.

We are to bring forth fruit unto God, Romans 7:4, Romans 6:22, Hebrew 12:11, James 5:7.

Another issues that the bible explains is the sin of our fleshly man (carnal man) wars against our mind, Romans 7:23. The flesh also wars against the Spirit, and the Spirit wars against the flesh, and we cannot do what we want to do, Galatians 5:16. So, with this situation, we struggle internally and mentally, trying to understand what’s happening in our inner man. The war is unavoidable because we are carnal, and as Apostle Paul said, sold under sin, Romans 7:14.

What you are describing is described in Romans 7. It’s not just a bible verse about how Apostle Paul struggled with sin. What Apostle Paul is doing in Romans 7 is showing US the connection between the Law of Sin, and the Law of the Spirit of God.

This is an important verse. Romans 7:11, “For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.” Here is sin (sin of the law), which has all the power over us. When we think in our minds to do good, and we try, sin is present with us, Romans 7:21.

Romans 7:23, “But I see another law (law of sin), warring against the law of my mind (wanting to do right) and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members (inner emotions, that is the carnal man, the fleshly man).

Our deliverance from the powerful control sin has over us (BECAUSE IT’S A LAW, WE HAVE NO POWER OVER IT) is in the cross, Romans 7:25, because we have been crucified with Christ. Our flesh (carnal man) was crucified on the cross with Christ to put away the power of sin over us, Romans 6:9.

Our hope is in Christ to be able to be holy before God.

“O wretched man that I am, who shall deliver me from the body of this death?” Romans 7:24.

“I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.” Romans 7:25.

With our mind, we want to please God and if it wasn’t for the law of sin, we would be able to: that’s why we serve God with our mind.

But with our flesh we serve the law of sin. That because the flesh is the Adamic nature that is controlled by the sinful nature, that we have no power over – Only Christ has power over it.

So, because we have been crucified, we are told to put off the old man (flesh), and put on the new man (walk by the Spirit).

Study Romans 7 intently, meaning eat the word, focus intently like you really want to listen to the Holy Spirit as you read, and pray for understanding before you start reading.

We all struggle because of the sin nature, even though it has been crucified with Christ on the cross. It’s not easy to put off the old man and put on the new man. But with the help of Christ, we can do it by praying, reading the bible, and asking God for understanding as others here have said.

God bless you!

Back