Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Hi from minnesota

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

ksmith

Hello, my name is ken and i live in western Minnesota. I recently went through some very humbling and painful lessons and as a way of coping i turned to god. I am extremely new to Christianity. To be honest i havent found the peace i expected instead i found even more fear. I have come to understand that i am not nearly as good a person as i thought i was. I have many demons i wrestle with. I am looking for someone who could possibly help decipher the bible with me. I read and i sit back unsure of what i read. I keep rereading passages and fail to understand what it means. I am currently fasting and trying to imerse myself in god today. I feel i could hear god this morning and i was goven a task. The first real peace ive felt in a long time. Sorry im rambling. Im glad to have found this forum and i hope to join discussion so i can grow and learn.

Welcome to the forum ksmith ! :wave2

What translation of the Bible are you using , and do you have a concordance or commentary to reference as you read the Bible ?

That is honest, fear of not measuring up or failing or?

I hope so for you too 🤗
Its the fear that i will consistently fall short of what god expects of me. I try very hard to not promise to god because i know i will break promises like "i will quit drinking" or "ill never swear again" fear knowing i need to give my life to god but knowing i cant surrender like that.

Welcome to the forum ksmith ! :wave2

What translation of the Bible are you using , and do you have a concordance or commentary to reference as you read the Bible ?
I have a king james version and i have nothing to reference i google for translations most of the time.

Its the fear that i will consistently fall short of what god expects of me. I try very hard to not promise to god because i know i will break promises like "i will quit drinking" or "ill never swear again" fear knowing i need to give my life to god but knowing i cant surrender like that.

Well, first off, Jesus didn't pick people likely any better than you

He came for people like you

(and me)

So, repent repent repent

Here's where I have a great advantage as a Catholic

I can go to my Priest who is ordained to be able to remit sins

And that poor guy, I'd not want his job, but guess what, loving people like him give up their lives to do that job.

If you have a Catholic church around go ask about their RCIA class, its where you can learn to do what it is you're fearful of, and like an AA group you'll be surrounded by people just like you 🤗

Ok , here is a link with KJV bible parallel with the ESV bible the ESV maybe easier for you to understand . Biblehub is good resource .

Do you know any other Christians IRL ? Being among a body of believers can be most helpful .
I dont know anyone who is more than a casual, i believe but dont do anything about it type christian. My wife was raised catholic but she hates that ive started reading the bible and im becoming a bible thumper as she says. I have only even been inside of a church once or twice as a kid.

I dont know anyone who is more than a casual, i believe but dont do anything about it type christian. My wife was raised catholic but she hates that ive started reading the bible and im becoming a bible thumper as she says. I have only even been inside of a church once or twice as a kid.
A suggestion , why don't you include your wife in some of your Bible reading time and study time ? See if she would like for the both of you to start praying together also .

A suggestion , why don't you include your wife in some of your Bible reading time and study time ? See if she would like for the both of you to start praying together also .
I appreciate the idea. When we met she asked if i would go to church i always said no (she didnt either) eventually i said id go to see what it was all about. As soon as i bought a bible and said id been listening to preachers on youtube and i wanted to go she got mad and wants nothing to do with it. I know we arent supposed to be unevenly yolked so hopefully she will change her mind. I think i need to find a church and start going without her or ill never go.

raised catholic but she hates that ive started reading the bible

Catholics are encouraged to read the bible, is not new I hear it often

Holy Scripture Most Profitable To Doctrine and Morality

So go with her to a Catholic RCIA class which is for both new people and those who either have been away or are not familiar with doctrine.

You may have a difficult go with the KJV as I do, you have to decide on what to do about that, many perceive it as protestant and don't understand, but I stick with it, its surely not forbidden.

Last edited:
I am looking for someone who could possibly help decipher the bible with me. I read and i sit back unsure of what i read. I keep rereading passages and fail to understand what it means. I am currently fasting and trying to imerse myself in god today.

Greetings, and blessings in Christ.

We have some Bible studies we were doing in private. If you'd like, I could add you to those and see if they interest you. We may be starting up again on some new ones again soon, but you could comment on some of the previous ones and see if they are your cup of tea, i.e. if they witness to you.

Fasting is good, btw. It increases your prayer life (among other things).

Welcome to Christian Forums,
Hidden In Him

I appreciate the idea. When we met she asked if i would go to church i always said no (she didnt either) eventually i said id go to see what it was all about. As soon as i bought a bible and said id been listening to preachers on youtube and i wanted to go she got mad and wants nothing to do with it.
Ask her what caused this about face on going to church together . Just curious , how long have you two been married ?
I think i need to find a church and start going without her or ill never go.
I will be praying for you that God directs you in the path you need to take .

Greetings, and blessings in Christ.

We have some Bible studies we were doing in private. If you'd like, I could add you to those and see if they interest you. We may be starting up again on some new ones again soon, but you could comment on some of the previous ones and see if they are your cup of tea, i.e. if they witness to you.

Fasting is good, btw. It increases your prayer life (among other things).

Welcome to Christian Forums,
Hidden In Him
You could add me if you like. Id be interested to see what its like.

Hi ksmith and welcome to CF :wave2

First I would ask you to start with the book of John as it will teach you all about Christ and then read the book of Acts as this will help you learn about the Holy Spirit.

None of us are perfect so do not let that bother you right now until you learn who you are in Christ and begin that relationship with Jesus.

There is also a Question and Answer forum that you can ask questions and get answers. Just humble yourself before God in prayer as you accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior, but also be still long enough to know He is right there with you. Allow yourself to feel His love overshadow you.

Looking forward with sharing with each other :)

I have a king james version and i have nothing to reference i google for translations most of the time.
A couple of suggestions...
Use an easier bible to better understand.
Check them out in a Christian book store.
The NLT is easy to understand.

Watch Mike Winger on YouTube.
He teaches and is very good.
No weird stuff from him.
Solid, good teaching.

Hello, my name is ken and i live in western Minnesota. I recently went through some very humbling and painful lessons and as a way of coping i turned to god. I am extremely new to Christianity. To be honest i havent found the peace i expected instead i found even more fear. I have come to understand that i am not nearly as good a person as i thought i was. I have many demons i wrestle with. I am looking for someone who could possibly help decipher the bible with me. I read and i sit back unsure of what i read. I keep rereading passages and fail to understand what it means. I am currently fasting and trying to imerse myself in god today. I feel i could hear god this morning and i was goven a task. The first real peace ive felt in a long time. Sorry im rambling. Im glad to have found this forum and i hope to join discussion so i can grow and learn.
Hello ksmith, Welcome and glad you are here with us, we remember when Jesus said: Take My Yoke Upon You And Learn Of Me, which I think is an important factor for these end times.

Matthew 11:25-30

25 At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes.
26 Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in thy sight.
27 All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him.
28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
Read full chapter

And Paul said:

2 Corinthians 5:19-20

19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.
20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.
Read full chapter

Ephesians 4:23-29

23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.
25 Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another.
26 Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:
27 Neither give place to the devil.
28 Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.
29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
Read full chapter

Love, Walter And Debbie

We enter the kingdom with fear. We find out we messed up (sinned) and are undone. Repentance is the word we use. This state of disaster creates this question in us. What do I do to be saved from the disaster just discovered? The answer is find out Jesus died for our sins. Belief in Jesus work on the cross is the answer. The Gospel is the answer / solution.

I am a number of days after you started here. I will look at other comments hopefully.

The Holy Spirit can lead you into all truth.

Mississippi redneck
eddif

Welcome aboard

Germany. Ok
Dropping the full passage in book, chapter, and verse in English would help.

We needed a break. How many languages are you literate in?

Since I am a redneck from Mississippi I speak no known language.

eddif

Back