Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Hi - help with disappointment please

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Fred1234

Hi,

Hello to everyone. I have joined up to ask How do you all deal with disappointment? I am feeling a lot of this and am unsure how to deal with it. Any ideas, recommended verses?

Thanks.

Hi,

Hello to everyone. I have joined up to ask How do you all deal with disappointment? I am feeling a lot of this and am unsure how to deal with it. Any ideas, recommended verses?

Thanks.

Hi Fred1234,

Disappointment usually tells me to go back to God in prayer, read the Bible to put things in perspective. We have to learn to be content with, and content without. Contentment in Jesus is the goal and when we become disappointed, I think it's an opportunity to die to self and get about the business of seeking what God wants. In this way, we can thank God for our disappointments and grow in His grace. We need to be careful that we don't harden our hearts or form a root of bitterness. Sorry I can't share more at the moment. I'm turning in.

May God continue to bless you.

- Davies

Hey Fred,
Simply speaking of course theres no easy cure for it,and depending on the source some times are harder than others.

In general,its easy to get lost in the shuffle and feel defeated.We now live in a world which tramples underfoot anything sacred,mocks all things holy and follows that up with an assault on your education level if you disagree.Our kids are suffering,relationships that last are rare and good friends are harder to find.Its brutal and very,very disappointing.

At times when Im feeling a bit defeated Ill withdraw from others and just reflect on things in an effort not to get too emotionally involved.Sometimes this helps avert further disaster due to decreased emotional outbursts when the disappointment and resulting frustration gives way to anger.There are times,however,that the source just needs to be confronted.If its trouble with the spouse,drama with a coworker,go to them.Tell them how you feel.Sometimes youll be pleasantly surprised.Of course this is just my way of handling things,and every person develops their own method according to personality and experience.

Bear in mind at times the bottom line just doesnt look good from any angle.We will be attacked and deceived simply due to our status as a believer at certain points.There are times in life when the only thing you can do is simply keep putting one foot in front of the other.Just keep going.Fortunately I think most here can agree that though these times are tough we tend to learn and grow the most during the difficult patches.It sharpens the mind and steels the will against later intrusions.

Good morning,

I couldn't have said it better, phantom309.

This may be a good example from the Bible. The disciples of John the Baptist came to him and said:

John 3:26-30

New King James Version (NKJV)

26 And they came to John and said to him, “Rabbi, He who was with you beyond the Jordan, to whom you have testified—behold, He is baptizing, and all are coming to Him!â€

The people "all are coming to Him!." If the people could have understood who the people were coming to, they would have rejoiced. Even John had to humble himself because he said:

John 3:27-30

New King James Version (NKJV)

27 John answered and said, “A man can receive nothing unless it has been given to him from heaven. 28 You yourselves bear me witness, that I said, ‘I am not the Christ,’ but, ‘I have been sent before Him.’ 29 He who has the bride is the bridegroom; but the friend of the bridegroom, who stands and hears him, rejoices greatly because of the bridegroom’s voice. Therefore this joy of mine is fulfilled. 30 He must increase, but I must decrease.

I think this is a beautiful passage. "A man can receive nothing unless it has been given to him..." This is true of everyone of us. Whether it be friends, family, or even our faith. If you have faith, Fred1234, the size of a mustard seed, rejoice. Realize it is more precious than finding a box of priceless jewels. The Creator of the universe has grace and mercy for sinners, even a wretch like me.

Amazing grace,

- Davies

Hi,

Thanks.

Hi, Fred - I too am new to the forum. In fact, this is the first forum I've ever been on. But like all the rest of the people who are a part of this group - and like you - I am no stranger to disappointment. Or to any of the other trials that are commonn to Christians. So - we're not alone. In fact, we are in the best of company. The company of people like those talked about in Hebrews 11, such as: Abraham, who waited until he was 100 or thereabouts to have a son and then was told by God to sacrifice him; or Moses, whose mother had to leave him in the waters to save his life as an infant; or Noah who had to build an ark in order to save his family. Their problems, like ours, were solved because they fixed their eyes on God and REFUSED to doubt. Then there were the New Testament saints who suffered for their new faith in Christ. Peter talks about them in I Peter 4. Read the whole chapter. See verse 12? It says, "Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice...." And pray. Give thanks in all circumstances, as the Bible tells us to. And God will honor your prayers and the faith you evidence by trusting Him. Why? Certainly not because you and I are anything special - but for the love of God. But because He is personally glorified (as He deserves to be), when He answers our prayers.
Jesus didn't come down to Earth and suffer because He thought it would be "fun." He came down here to make sure you and I have joy. And victory. It isn't easy; but each time you look to Him, praying and trusting, your faith will build.
Another thing that helps: pick a few special scriptures. Like Psalms 23 or Psalms 91. Read them carefully. One phrase at a time. Or one sentence at a time. THINK about them. Pray for God to fill your heart with understanding and to increase your faith. If you are concentrating on Him, you will have less time to concentrate on your disappointments. And what disappointment does not fade in time? And all the more quickly when we say, "Father, I'm going to put this in your hands, I can't handle it, please - you deal with it for me." God PROMISES that "all things" work together for good for those He loves. "All things" particularly includes the disappointments in life. I have found that the greater the difficulty I go through (trusting in Him), the greater the joy I feel when I have come through that particular "fiery trial." There is no burden too great for Him; no burden He won't lift from you if you'll call on Him. Jesus said, "I am come that you might have life and have it more abundantly." Either He's telling you the truth or He died for no reason at all.

I usually figure that God must have something better out there for me. He knows the end from the beginning and He
knows what is best. He usually waits till the last minute to answer my prayers to teach me faith and patience. Some
times when He says no, He has my best interest in mind. But when I am not being selfish or greedy He has said that
He will never leave me nor forsake me. Sometimes I pray His promises back to Him. But in the end it is about trust.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back