Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Homeless Vets

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Lewis

More than 10,000 Iraq and Afghanistan veterans are homeless or in programs aimed at keeping them off the streets, a number that has doubled three times since 2006, according to figures released by the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Military officials celebrate Veteran's Day at the Central Union Mission in D.C. with some of the area's disadvantaged veterans.

By Evan Eile, USA TODAY

Military officials celebrate Veteran's Day at the Central Union Mission in D.C. with some of the area's disadvantaged veterans.

Enlarge

By Evan Eile, USA TODAY

The rise comes at a time when the total number of homeless veterans has declined from a peak of about 400,000 in 2004 to 135,000 today.

"We're seeing more and more (Iraq and Afghanistan veterans)," says Richard Thomas, a Volunteers of America case manager at a shelter in Los Angeles. "It's just a bad time for them to return now and get out of the military."

The VA blames the rise on a poor economy and the nature of the current wars, where a limited number of troops serve multiple deployments.

The result is a group of homeless veterans where 70% have a history of combat exposure with its psychological effects, says Pete Dougherty, a senior policy adviser on homelessness at the VA.

Among all homeless veterans, perhaps 20% to 33% were in combat, he says.
Homeless vets

Number of U.S. veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan wars who are homeless or in programs to prevent homelessness:
2006: 1,297
2007: 2,167
2008: 3,495
2009: 5,881
2010: 9,750
2011: 10,476 (through May)
Source: Department of Veterans Affairs

LaShonna Perry, a former Army mechanic who served in Iraq and Afghanistan, was homeless for more than year after leaving the military. She rented an apartment last year with a federal voucher.

"Some soldiers still have issues they're dealing with from what they've seen, what they've experienced," she says. "Some think, 'There's nothing wrong with me.' They can deal with it on their own. Until it gets out of control."

As of May, there were 10,476 Iraq and Afghanistan veterans either living on the streets, in temporary housing or receiving federal vouchers to help pay rent for an apartment.

About 13% are women, the VA says.

The spike in Iraq and Afghanistan veterans seeking shelter comes at a time when the government and non-profit groups are pouring more resources than ever into fighting veteran homelessness.

The VA and the Department of Housing and Urban Development are spending $46.2 million to expand the voucher program.

The VA is set to announce Tuesday that nearly $60 million will fund a program of grants to veterans with families who are homeless or at risk of losing their homes.

"There are places to turn to for help that did not exist before," says John Driscoll, president and chief executive officer of the National Coalition for Homeless Veterans.

He said more than 2,400 non-profit organizations across the country now have homeless veteran programs.

lewis its not the simple. i have had some struggles with ptsd and one of my soldiers is going through it now. during the break from here. several times he went overboard. once incident the chain of command looked the other way as he was picked on by a jerk staff sergeant that was over the mess hall while on kp. i was about to ask top not to punish him but my plt sgt told me that top wasnt going to do anything.

now then most soldiers dont know what to do with this stuff and you like me have some albeit more expercience with psychosis. given that.. you also were a drunk and its common for vets to commit suicide these days sadly(3 in my battaltion) and also turn to drugs to drown the sorrow.

god brought me through, and we have a member here who is in need of help.

lewis its not the simple. i have had some struggles with ptsd and one of my soldiers is going through it now. during the break from here. several times he went overboard. once incident the chain of command looked the other way as he was picked on by a jerk staff sergeant that was over the mess hall while on kp. i was about to ask top not to punish him but my plt sgt told me that top wasnt going to do anything.

now then most soldiers dont know what to do with this stuff and you like me have some albeit more expercience with psychosis. given that.. you also were a drunk and its common for vets to commit suicide these days sadly(3 in my battaltion) and also turn to drugs to drown the sorrow.

god brought me through, and we have a member here who is in need of help.

Going through the same thing as well here getting re screened for ptsd so that if i do have it i can get the proper treatment as well as my 50 percent when i do get out while i collect the disability. and yes its a shame that some of the programs tht the gov offers either shows up to short or someone messes up on a slip that ends up having that person to stay on the street. all I have to say is the lord will provide for me as much as i need but at the sametime a country is failing its people that helped keep it free.:nono2

Going through the same thing as well here getting re screened for ptsd so that if i do have it i can get the proper treatment as well as my 50 percent when i do get out while i collect the disability. and yes its a shame that some of the programs tht the gov offers either shows up to short or someone messes up on a slip that ends up having that person to stay on the street. all I have to say is the lord will provide for me as much as i need but at the sametime a country is failing its people that helped keep it free.:nono2
my god healed me of that. i was able to function with ptsd, i am no longer have that issue. most of the time ptsd goes away.

the tests are real simple. i think it was maybe a ten questionaire and one interview with my wife shrink to see if i did have it( sadly if one tells the pha that you feel or felt sad they assume you need to see a shrink) well life is sad and well we should have to be forced by the govt to pay for a shrink to(280 usd) to say thats ok. duh i was loosing money and also i wasnt happy. so i dont tell them these things as that is how they overeacted to my honest answer, if the doc asked why i felt that way. i wouldnt have a 2 on my pulhes.

one year later its cleared up, that held up my career! no school for me with that type of pulhes.

Yea true well with me I am not paying for a shrink went through military one and tricare is basically paying for my expenses of all my shrinks.:clap

Yea true well with me I am not paying for a shrink went through military one and tricare is basically paying for my expenses of all my shrinks.:clap
i dont have tricare so i paid that after my insurance at first denied me and then said ok.

i can get tricare but most doctors here wont take it. i may go on it as my regular insurance keeps going up.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back