Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Honoring and Obeying Parents

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Do Christians believe this is important? How can I honor and obey my parents when they are stuck in a cult that I find offensive, not to mention treat me like I know nothing of God since I'm no longer part of their cult?

Think of it like this:
"If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all."~Romans 12:18 ESV
To live peaceably with others, you don't need to agree with them. You can offer as much respect as possible without agreeing with your parents.

I can't say I know what your situation is like, though I understand on some much smaller scale. I left my childhood church going on two years back, and it caused a lot of tension between me and my mom. The changes included me leaving behind a specific teaching that she considered of utmost importance, and she didn't like that. She lashed out at me very strongly a time or two, and the rest of the time kept saying how she felt like she failed to raise me properly and how she didn't want me to corrupt my younger brother. Looking back, I think she was just very concerned and scared for me and didn't know what to make of my sudden shift in views. (It wasn't sudden, but I had kept it hidden from her for a long time knowing it'd upset her.)
She wasn't part of a cult, though. Just a sub-denomination with a few very strong opinions.
I have enough of an idea to know that your situation is not fun, and a tough one.

I'm sure you love your parents very much or you wouldn't be so concerned about what they think. So just keep loving the them and you will be respectful and understanding.
It seems kind of weird but sometimes it's the child that teaches the parent what perfect love is really about.

Yes, respecting your parents is very important but it goes both ways also. We are all not the same and have different points on views of everything, you don't always have to agree with everything. It's okay to be different, the key is to respect people's point of view and agree to disagree. You ever wonder what it would be like if everybody drove the same car or had the same house?
I am Catholic and practicing it my whole life. I cannot see myself ever switching to another religion because I have my faith and beliefs in Christianity. But I don't believe my religion is superior to any other, I believe it's how you live your life and the way you treat people, etc.

I got saved when I was 15 and my parents weren't Christians.

Find every opportunity to obey and honor them when it doesn't compromise your faith and commitment to Christ. If there is a situation you disagree with because of your faith, try to have a discussion about it with them by asking them respectfully if you can walk out your faith. Do your best to be respectful.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back