Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Housing needs and the cost.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I'm working to get my Mom's property and my property cleaned up. I live out of the way in rural Indiana, but I have a neighbor that tries to get everyone evicted. He is a curmugeon that looks for legal loop holes to get people's houses seized by the county. Which is what I'm dealing with right now. I guess if you are part of the area's association you need to pay for a sewer hook up. My grandpa was not part of that association so he was fine. Well when he died the neighbor some how convinced my Mom to join the association and now she has a massive lean because now she owes years of sewer fees. Some people are evil.

The county has sewer or the HOA ?

Hi Milk-Drops

Alabama mom goes viral with concerns about her kids' futures: 'Not the same as it was'

Jessica McCabe, an Alabama mother of two, shared her frustrations with the shrinking opportunity to achieve the American Dream on "Fox & Friends" Tuesday.
www.foxnews.com
www.foxnews.com
While that is certainly true for some, it isn't true for all, of course. It is true that for lower wage scales, affordable housing is tough. While it may be worse today, I think the phenomenon has always existed. I mean, when I was younger it took me like 10 years after I hit the work world before I had enough to buy a home on a VA low down mortgage. Of course, I didn't finish college. My son on the other hand, graduated college and within 3 years had purchased his first home. Now, he could have done it without any help from me, but he chose a foreclosure and the bank wouldn't give him a mortgage until certain repairs were made. I wound up having to give him a short loan until the repairs were made and then he mortgaged the property and repaid me.

Wage scales for college graduates are often dependent on 'what' field you studied. But I believe that historically, in pretty much all fields, your chances are better at starting and growing with a better income if you have a degree.

One of the sad commentaries of life today is how much a degree can cost, but there are ways to reduce that cost. However, the best way takes planning long before you step foot on a college campus. My son was able to amass a pretty impressive GPA by the time he graduated high school, and, in my state, a high GPA makes you eligible for what is called the Palmetto Fellows scholarship program. He actually made a small extra amount every semester after books and fees and tuition. I'm fairly proud that he put himself through college without any financial help from dad.

He then got a pretty decent job with a major company that he had secured even before he graduated. He was flying to several places before he graduated to interviews. Of course the costs were paid by the interviewing company, but he had his first job all lined up and ready to go and reported to work 2 weeks after graduating. So, everyone's story is different, but college can still be a major benefit towards one's future work income.

I would counsel anyone looking to head to college to do whatever they need to do to not borrow money for their college costs. Get a job. Apply for scholarships. If anyone does feel it necessary to borrow money, start paying it back immediately. Even as you're going to school with a part time job. I don't care if the loan contract says you don't have to start making payments until you've graduated. They're still charging you interest on all that time. Pay it back as soon as you are able to start making payments. It builds financial responsibility and won't leave you as so many are today with these now gargantuan student loans that have amassed interest for at least 4 years before they started making payments. One of the lessons that I taught my son very early in his life was to never, never, never pay interest on money unless you absolutely had to. Yes, we're all going to pay interest on mortgages and car loans, but all those CC charges should be paid off in full each and every month.

I also think that a lot of it has to do with the choices that young people make in 'how' they spend their money. A $5 Starbucks coffee every day would pay $150 on a student loan each month.

God bless,
Ted

Reactions: WIP
The county has the sewer, the Lake association contracted with the county to pay for it, so anyone in the association is charged sewer dues regardless of use.
The association takes care of the lake, I'm far enough from the lake that I can opt out, I just don't have a dock. My Grandpa bought a pontoon and parked at a Neighbor's dock that he wasn't using. My Mom wasn't aware and signed up for the association thinking she was just paying dues for dock use and lake preservation.......then she got the bill for the back years of sewer fees.

Hi Milk-Drops

While that is certainly true for some, it isn't true for all, of course. It is true that for lower wage scales, affordable housing is tough. While it may be worse today, I think the phenomenon has always existed. I mean, when I was younger it took me like 10 years after I hit the work world before I had enough to buy a home on a VA low down mortgage. Of course, I didn't finish college. My son on the other hand, graduated college and within 3 years had purchased his first home. Now, he could have done it without any help from me, but he chose a foreclosure and the bank wouldn't give him a mortgage until certain repairs were made. I wound up having to give him a short loan until the repairs were made and then he mortgaged the property and repaid me.

Wage scales for college graduates are often dependent on 'what' field you studied. But I believe that historically, in pretty much all fields, your chances are better at starting and growing with a better income if you have a degree.

One of the sad commentaries of life today is how much a degree can cost, but there are ways to reduce that cost. However, the best way takes planning long before you step foot on a college campus. My son was able to amass a pretty impressive GPA by the time he graduated high school, and, in my state, a high GPA makes you eligible for what is called the Palmetto Fellows scholarship program. He actually made a small extra amount every semester after books and fees and tuition. I'm fairly proud that he put himself through college without any financial help from dad.

He then got a pretty decent job with a major company that he had secured even before he graduated. He was flying to several places before he graduated to interviews. Of course the costs were paid by the interviewing company, but he had his first job all lined up and ready to go and reported to work 2 weeks after graduating. So, everyone's story is different, but college can still be a major benefit towards one's future work income.

I would counsel anyone looking to head to college to do whatever they need to do to not borrow money for their college costs. Get a job. Apply for scholarships. If anyone does feel it necessary to borrow money, start paying it back immediately. Even as you're going to school with a part time job. I don't care if the loan contract says you don't have to start making payments until you've graduated. They're still charging you interest on all that time. Pay it back as soon as you are able to start making payments. It builds financial responsibility and won't leave you as so many are today with these now gargantuan student loans that have amassed interest for at least 4 years before they started making payments. One of the lessons that I taught my son very early in his life was to never, never, never pay interest on money unless you absolutely had to. Yes, we're all going to pay interest on mortgages and car loans, but all those CC charges should be paid off in full each and every month.

I also think that a lot of it has to do with the choices that young people make in 'how' they spend their money. A $5 Starbucks coffee every day would pay $150 on a student loan each month.

God bless,
Ted
You're just making excuses for it. Well, we're tired of the excuses. That's what Trump represents: the anger of a people that worked hard all their lives who don't have a pot to piss in. An American dream that's just a lie designed to keep you in debt for the rest of your life. A wage slave to billionaires. People are having to take on debt just to put food on the table, and you make excuses. Well, we're done with the excuses.

January 6 was more than just Trump supporters not liking the election results. It was real anger for a system that is purposely set up to favor the rich and oppress the poor and make them poorer. That's why it'll happen again, and instead of just two thousand angry people marching on Washington, it'll be two million.

I gotta say, when I saw the footage of January 6, I almost cried years of joy. Not because odd Trump or the election, bud because the backbone of this country, the right wing middle class, was finally confronting the elite on their own turf.

To see the cowards in Congress cower in fear under their desks was so great. I loved every second of it. These people are globalist sell outs. They sold out our industry to China and don't care at all about what we think. We're never asked what we want. We are always TOLD what we should like.

We are TOLD that we must support Ukraine. We are TOLD that Congress members becoming millionaires is normal! We are TOLD to shut up about Epstein and don't look any further because it might upset powerful people that liked to go there and diddle little kids.

Even knowing all this, you'll contribute you make excuses because you're trying to hold onto something that no longer exists. We're no longer a constitutional republic, we're now a "democracy". I put it in quotes because it's not worthy of being taken seriously. My response to it has always been the same: this so-called "democracy" can go to hell.

More and more Americans are starting to wake up to their situation, our situation. It isn't pretty, but it's either face the harsh reality of it, or continue to live in the matrix and pretend everything's fine. The Matrix movie today has a very different feel to it today than it did back in 1999.

This guy made a song that I think really represents the average Trump supporter. Because I think the left jusy doesn't understand us. So, maybe music can help bridge the gap. Even if it doesn't, I think it's a really good song. :)

Hi Milk-Drops

God bless,
Ted
Please tell me how to make 10000 dollars working part time in a 6 month period while also eating, living somewhere, and having electricity and internet. Even if you cut out the first 2 years and go to a community college, that about 4 grand for 2 years, if not 10K considering I'm using 2007 numbers for all of this. Even if you go the state route and its under 10k a semester you still have rent, utilities, internet, and food.

I posted several charts that explained the insane rising costs of both home owner ship and wages.

Look not saying its isn't doable. I went to college and wasted close to 100k getting a stem degree and ran a small business while in Tennessee while being frugal for a few years. I moved back to Indiana when family got sick and I'm basically stuck because wages are extremely depressed here. Even with my degree I was looking at 17 dollar an hour work. I'm working with my Boy friend to get me relocated to Philly to find better option, but its going to take some time.

Our economy is borked and crushing the younger generation as a whole. My cousin is doing really well, but he definately considers himself lucky. I'm capable and willing to work, but I can assure you that its getting pretty grim.

The county has the sewer, the Lake association contracted with the county to pay for it, so anyone in the association is charged sewer dues regardless of use.
Never got why she would switch to sewer unless permit to fix septic was denied .

Never got why she would switch to sewer unless permit to fix septic was denied .
Its just part of the association. The sewer runs throughout the entire area and the county hooked her up about a month back since she was being forced to pay anyway. Its just small legal text in the association contract. Want to park a boat on your own dock? pay for the sewer system used to filter out the damn water. :tongue

Its an artificial lake and there is a small stream that connects to the larger river over in Pulaski. Indiana has a couple man made lakes.

Its just part of the association. The sewer runs throughout the entire area and the county hooked her up about a month back since she was being forced to pay anyway. Its just small legal text in the association contract. Want to park a boat on your own dock? pay for the sewer system used to filter out the damn water. :tongue
Reuse for boats works wonders . I have read a few boat dock meters that are not reuse .

I think a church is the only building untouched from those wild fires that destoyed everything. I guess everyone can go to church and seek refuge there.

Yeah, but then he sold out as soon as he became a millionaire and bought his third home.
Aoc folded faster then he did . The problem with the politicians is that you often have to bow to the largest supporters desires .

Rarely is any movement these days grass roots .not even moms for liberty which started in my county .one of the founders ran for the local school board before and won twice then left and formed this.she also cheated on her husband with the current sheriff .

She was and is a registered Republican. I don't disagree with their points just that it's tied heavily to the local and state rnc and national as well
Tea party fits and the the Democrats equivalent

Please tell me how to make 10000 dollars working part time in a 6 month period while also eating, living somewhere, and having electricity and internet.
Hi Milk-Drops

Well, I'll tell you how my son made it through college without any bills. First, he got the Palmetto Fellows Scholarship which paid a fixed amount per semester for in-state tuition. So, his school fees were nothing. All he had to pay were his food and housing costs. He rented with two other students and so his rent cost was like $400/month and utilities were less than $100/month. Food likely less than $150/month. He worked part time for the university IT department and made more than enough to cover those costs and his car insurance. He drove a reasonably inexpensive car that he had purchased on his own while in high school. It was an older model Mitsubishi convertible GT. He really liked that car. I have to admit, it was fun to drive in the warm weather with the top down.

But most part time jobs of 20-25 hours per week should net someone over $1500/month. Of course, if you're already married and have real living expenses, then it's going to be more difficult, but that's a situation that doesn't apply to most college age adults.

I assume, however, that you're referring to the loan payments. It's a choice that one has to make. Any extra money that you do have, you apply to your student loan.

Honestly, to pay for a degree to take a $17/hr job, if you're referring to the last 10 years, I would say you wasted your college advantage. I honestly wouldn't encourage college for anyone who doesn't expect to make at least $45k for a starting salary in their field of study. And the 'average' college grad starting salary these days is $55k. I think even most teacher and police positions for college grads pay better than $40k. I think the national average starting teacher salary is about $42k. If one isn't going into a field of study that would start off with at least $50k, then I'd encourage looking into some trade school for training.

It really isn't worth all of the effort and expense, if you're not going to get a better than average salary for your efforts.

God bless,
Ted

Hi Milk-Drops

The other advice in this, as far as after the degree, is to be willing to move wherever the money is. One of the very first conversations I had with my son as he was preparing for his college life was that once he graduated he wouldn't make any real money living in the small town where we lived at the time. So, he was flown to Wisconsin for an interview with EPIC Systems. He also traveled to Columbia, SC for an interview with Intel. He did a couple of other interviews, but the businesses escape me now. One was a little start up. But he didn't just get up and start after his degree and pound the pavement in our little town of 20k people. He looked for employment across the country. He was young and had his own life to start and took the bull by the horns and took a job in a new location and started his career.

Yes, I will agree that if a young college student is limiting themselves to their own hometown, if it's a fairly small rural town, then they're likely not going to maximize the rewards of their education. The other is to start early. He began looking for a job before his last semester started. Often in the professional fields, it isn't like applicants are always, "Oh, I'm ready to start tomorrow", kind of interview. Most employers will accept a 2-3 month delay to hire if they know the applicant is still finishing their degree and have good GPA to show for it. In my son's seeking of employment he made sure that all of the prospective employers knew up front that he hadn't yet graduated. Again, in most professional fields employers are looking at several candidates and it may be 2-3 weeks before they even make a hiring decision.

I understand that everyone is different, but these are my encouragements for college students that don't want to have some gargantuan debt hanging over their heads. If one pays $100k for a four year degree to make $17/hr, then they've wasted their college. You'd likely be making that if you'd just taken some office job 4 years ago and worked through the college years. Heck I was making more than $17/hr working at BellSouth with no college degree. I started as Customer service in 1988 making then about $14/hr and by the time I left 18 years later I was making $26/hr. No college needed. The company provided all training.

Honestly, and I'm not saying this is your situation, but vehicle costs make it tougher than anything to get a mortgage if you're one of those that takes pride in having fairly new cars with big car payments. Again, using my son's example, he bought a 2003 Mitsubishi Spyder, so it was over 10 years old when he bought it. Paid, I think $3-4k that I loaned him interest free and paid every penny back except the last $500. which I wrote off as a graduation present. All from his part time work. He also saved on insurance, being a student under 26 by being covered under my policy. It was only a couple of hundred dollars a year for him to be covered as an additional driver. That's a good law that was passed a while back that students can ride on their parent's insurance until they're 24 or 26. And yes, his mother and I did pay that bill for him. Like I say, it was only a couple of hundred dollars every 6 months.

Anyway, I'm just saying that we seem to be encouraging young students, who often don't have a lot of financial savvy, to go into some pretty serious debt to go to college. Then when the loan note says you don't have to start making payments until after graduation, they don't. But that interest adds up for those four years on the full amount of the loan and then gets slammed on to the back end and it can be a pretty big debt for a young kid coming out of college. It weighs down their credit rating which also makes it tougher to qualify for a mortgage.

With no real debt, and always paying off his CC each month in full, he was able to buy a $150k dollar house within 2 years of hitting the work force. 10 years ago a $150k house in Columbia SC would have been a fairly nice starter home. But again, everyone's situation in this is different, I just feel sorry for young students that take on so much debt for their college education, and especially, as in your case, don't get a job salary good enough to pay it back comfortably. So, I just encourage, if a student can, to find other ways to pay for college and if they do have to take loans, start paying them back immediately. This also gets one in the habit of making the student loan payment so that isn't a big new surprise after graduation either.

God bless,
Ted

Hi Milk-Drops

Well, I'll tell you how my son made it through college without any bills. First, he got the Palmetto Fellows Scholarship which paid a fixed amount per semester for in-state tuition. So, his school fees were nothing. All he had to pay were his food and housing costs. He rented with two other students and so his rent cost was like $400/month and utilities were less than $100/month. Food likely less than $150/month. He worked part time for the university IT department and made more than enough to cover those costs and his car insurance. He drove a reasonably inexpensive car that he had purchased on his own while in high school. It was an older model Mitsubishi convertible GT. He really liked that car. I have to admit, it was fun to drive in the warm weather with the top down.

But most part time jobs of 20-25 hours per week should net someone over $1500/month. Of course, if you're already married and have real living expenses, then it's going to be more difficult, but that's a situation that doesn't apply to most college age adults.

I assume, however, that you're referring to the loan payments. It's a choice that one has to make. Any extra money that you do have, you apply to your student loan.

Honestly, to pay for a degree to take a $17/hr job, if you're referring to the last 10 years, I would say you wasted your college advantage. I honestly wouldn't encourage college for anyone who doesn't expect to make at least $45k for a starting salary in their field of study. And the 'average' college grad starting salary these days is $55k. I think even most teacher and police positions for college grads pay better than $40k. I think the national average starting teacher salary is about $42k. If one isn't going into a field of study that would start off with at least $50k, then I'd encourage looking into some trade school for training.

It really isn't worth all of the effort and expense, if you're not going to get a better than average salary for your efforts.

God bless,
Ted
Man, you are condescending and assume a lot about me. My degree was in computer science and coding. I started a small IT business when I lived in Nashville and my cousin has the same degree. He makes good money, and I used to as well. The 17 dollar an hour bit was about how when my grandfather was dieing I moved back to Indiana and the most people would pay me around here for computer work was 17 hourly. I went into trades and scraped upto 19.65 before I was canned. Its desperate work out here. My degree doesn't mean much in nowhere Indiana, its all blue collar. I have a house trailer I can't just up and leave and my Mom isn't doing well. I already mentioned in another post that I have plans to go where my boy friend is currently living out in Philly where I can find good work.

The point I was trying to make is that school is expensive and its hard even with a good degree to always find someone willing to pay. I have always understood to go where the money is, but family is important to me and it takes money to move. There are a lot of blue collar areas in this country that have been abandoned and people are going broke, even in the trades.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back