Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

How can you know which religion is true?

You have a mind and you have to use it. God gave us free will so that we could choose. Not choosing is not an option either. We cannot sit on the fence. Either God exists or he doesn't. Either Jesus Christ was God or he wasn't.

Each religion has its pluses and minuses. You need to know what they are and evaluate each. Then you can choose the one that best answers the fundamental questions that explain who we are, why we exist, how we came into being, what is the purpose of life and what happens when we die?

From a Christian perspective, we are God's children made by him to be in a loving and personal relationship. This is because God is love. We cannot live without love. We exist because God made us in his image so that we could commune with him. We were made differently from the rest of creation. We alone have God's character. We can think, create and love because made us that way.

The purpose of life is to glorify God. We do that when we put him in his proper place, as our Lord and Father. We enjoy a special relationship as his sons and daughters. He dotes on us and is with us in good times and bad, just as a parent would to a child. He rejoices in our successes and feels our pain when we fall short.

We do not die. Life goes on. We will all stand before God whether we believe or not. We can do it as his adopted sons and daughters and receive the benefits of being an heir of God or we can do it as rebellious outsiders. It is our choice.

Being adopted as his children is made possible by Jesus Christ. He died so that we might know the extent of God's love for us. We did not deserve it, but Jesus died for us anyway. God knew from the beginning that we would err and be self centered. He never forces himself on anyone. He wants us to choose to love him freely. This is why he is willing to pay such a huge cost. Our sin pains him. When we suffer he feels our pain.

We were never able to bridge the gap that separates people from God because we do not know him the way he knows us. He alone can do it. He has never stopped loving us. He knows each person intimately even if we profess not to know him.

So from the beginning he planned to enter into his creation at a time and place of his choosing to give us the message that we rejected from out predecessors. He made it possible for us to be made right with him and to approach him directly. This was through believing in Jesus Christ.

When Jesus died and rose again we were not left on our own. God left part of himself behind in the person of the Holy Spirit. He is inside of each believer. He reminds us of God's love, the teaching of Jesus and empowers us to do the unfinished work of God.

In this way the church has grown from a few individuals to a great religion that is global in scope. It has survived persecution and stood the test of time.

What Christians have that other religions lack is a personal relationship with the God who made the universe. We live in his grace and have his love. We are no better than anyone else. We still make mistakes. The big difference is that we have Jesus on our side. He makes up for what we lack. Through him we have God's forgiveness.

To not have this means that God would have to deal with our sin out of his righteousness and need for justice. We deserve to be punished because he cannot tolerate sin. However, Jesus adds to this God's mercy and love. This tempers God's wrath. When God looks at a believer he does not see the sinner we are, but a righteous person because Jesus stands between us and God.

To a Jew or a Muslim, God is remote and external. To the Christian he is personal and close at hand. To the Jew or Muslim, religion consists of a list of rules which we are incapable of keeping. We are therefore always caught in a cycle with no way out. We sin. We fall short. We need to make amends. To the Christian, the cycle is broken. We still struggle with sin, but Jesus paid the price for us. Our forgiveness is guaranteed.

Hindus and Buddhists are stuck in a karmic cycle. Life brings suffering. The escape is to reach a higher state of being through self discipline. There are penalties for failure, just as there are in other religions. The only escape is to destroy the self and cease to exist. This is in stark contrast to Christianity on so many levels.

For the Christian the journey is outward. For the Buddhist the journey is inward. We look up to God and outward to the world. They look inward to the self and ignore the world. We do not cease to exist at the end, but become new and better people. They desire to reach nirvana when they no longer exist and are one with the universe.

The Christian, the Jew and the Muslim are God centered. He is the maker of the universe and the reason for all life. He is the foundation on which we exist. The Buddhist or Hindu have no need for God. They have no explanation for existence. It merely is.

Each person needs to come to his or her conclusions. We all exist. We can deny God because he gave us that freedom. Believing in him or not believing in him changes nothing but our relationship to God. He is unaffected whether we choose to belive in him or not.

He made us all unique but we are all made of the same things. We have God's DNA. Yet we aren't God. It is what we share that holds us together as people and that also links us to God. That bond is love.

The Buddhist is right about some things. They see the end as being blissful. The sense what Christians sense. The sense that whatever they are heading towards is good and loving. The want to be immersed in that love and goodness. Jews and Muslims are right about some things. They have put God in his rightful place. He is the master of the universe. He is Lord of all.

Yet, each of them is missing some of the pieces. They have a partial view of who God is. He is all of these things, but he is more. Only God could fill in the missing pieces. That is why Christianity alone has all of the pieces. Jesus Christ gave us those pieces. God physically came to earth to give them to us.

Christianity is the complete package. The problem is that when people think of Christianity, they don't think of Christ. They think about people who are flawed and weak. They think of the church and its failures over the ages. Instead they need to look at the one whose name we bear. Where we are lacking, he is not. People need to look to God. While we will fall short, he never will. God never fails to deliver on his promises. Jesus Christ is the fulfillment of God's promises. We can only enjoy and partake of them through him.

By logic. Logic dictates that Christianity(All historic Christian Churches that acknowledge the Deity Of Christ and the Holy Trinity) is the only True religion. I utilized logical and analytical thinking to ascertain that Christianity is the only True religion.
:microwave:

RobertMazar said:
By logic. Logic dictates that Christianity(All historic Christian Churches that acknowledge the Deity Of Christ and the Holy Trinity) is the only True religion. I utilized logical and analytical thinking to ascertain that Christianity is the only True religion.
:microwave:
There is truth in other religions, but partial truths are as bad as no truth because they can deceive us into feeling complacent and good when we should be concerned about our status with God.

It is not really a question of one true religion. It is more correctly one true path to salvation. The only option God has given us is through Jesus Christ who is God. If God had meant it to come through Mohammad or Buddha then he would have presented himself to the world as them. Instead he presented himself to us in the person of Jesus Christ. If we accept the existence of God then we must determine how he has chosen to reveal himself to the world and proceed from there.

Hi, LuckyFox -

There is a book that has been around since at least the seventies, maybe longer, that will answer your question for you, if you will but read it!

It is called "Evidence that Demands a Verdict" by Josh MacDowell.

May God bless us all,

Pogo

Hi Pogo
Just a quick not to say I'm engaged in a "one on one" at present with Francisdesales.
Continiue keeping the faith--Duval

Hi, duval -

If you are not logged IN, log IN.

Then, simply scroll to the top of any page here.

At mid screen, look to the left-hand side of the page, on the same line where you click to log in/out, where it says (1 new messages), or something similar.

Then, click between the parenthesis'.

Pogo

Free said:
luckyfox said:
With so many choices, how can we know which is the right choice?
One can study the religions--examine their claims and historicity, for example--and use reason to find which one is most rational and coherent and makes the most sense of reality. However, this must be done with a heart sincere in finding the truth of God.

luckyfox said:
Is it possible that all have some aspect of truth, or are all but one false?
Just to try and clarify things a little:

Firstly, to say that "all have some aspect of truth" is not the same as saying all religions are true, which is what it sounds like you are meaning to say (and we actually have more than two choices to start with). If that is not what you meant then you must clarify what you mean by "aspect" as it can mean several things, including "appearance" or "element", and depending on which meaning is used the question changes slightly. From the way the question is worded, I will assume that "element" is more along the lines of the what was intended.

Secondly, as a Christian I believe in the Judeo-Christian worldview and do not separate them into two completely distinct religions.

Having hopefully clarified things somewhat, we essentially have three choices: all religions are false, all religions are true, or one religion is true.

After looking at the fundamental beliefs of many religions we can dismiss the claim that all religions are true--that is an impossibility. It is possible that all religions do, in fact, have at least one element of truth to them but that does not mean that all religions are true. I believe it can also be shown that the belief that more than one religion can be true ends up falling for the same reasons that not all religions can be true.

To say that all religions are false would not only require exhaustive knowledge and experience of every religion, it would require exhaustive knowledge of all things--one would have to be all-knowing. Many atheists claim all religions are false but they have no rational basis for doing so. Strict atheism is untenable and agnosticism would be a much more rational belief.

So while it is possible that no religion is true, the most rational position is that one religion is true.

Great points. I don't get to the "Christianity and Other Religions" topic much.

About the only thing that I would add is that when we study the historicity of religions, we should focus on the founder's and search for motive. No one starts a false religion for no reason. If we look at Mormonism, for example, we see that Joseph Smith and Brigham Young both died rich men with many wives. If you're looking for a reason to found a false religion women, money and property are great motivators.

Contrast that to Christianity where Jesus and the Apostles gave up everything. Jobs, home, money, standing in the community, and ultimately their lives. The strange thing about this Religion is that this is WHAT THEY TAUGHT. This is what Christianity offered. Poverty, chastity, obedience, and eventually martyrdom. To me, this speaks volumes to it's Truth.

"How can I know which religion is true?" The Bible ONLY makes Christians ONLY! Nothing MORE, nothing LESS and nothing DIFFERENT.
Duval

duval said:
"How can I know which religion is true?" The Bible ONLY makes Christians ONLY! Nothing MORE, nothing LESS and nothing DIFFERENT.
Duval

Why do you accept the Bible as the final authority?

Let's just be sure this thread doesn't go toward becoming another Catholic-oriented debate.
Our Statement of Faith is quite clear.
Statement of Faith
"The bible is the inspired, infallible and authoritative Word of God."

Potluck said:
Let's just be sure this thread doesn't go toward becoming another Catholic-oriented debate.
Our Statement of Faith is quite clear.
Statement of Faith
"The bible is the inspired, infallible and authoritative Word of God."

Right, and I truly believe that. My reason for doing so and someone elses might be different, though.

I'm just curious.

Hi dadof10
I accept the Bible as final authority because so far as I know there is no other. Is there?

Back