Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

How do we respond to the divine hiddenness argument

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I have come across an Atheist YouTuber named Alex O'Connor and one of his main arguments against the existence of God is the divine hiddenness argument, but how as theists could we address this argument? It has really dealt a blow to my faith and I need advice ASAP.

I have never heard of this argument before.

Gotquestions.com

Divine hiddenness, or the argument from divine hiddenness, is a philosophical approach that attempts to explain why some people do not recognize the existence of God, if God indeed exists. It is also sometimes called the argument from reasonable non-belief because, according to the argument, it is reasonable not to believe in a God you cannot see, even if you want Him to be there. It also suggests that a perfectly loving God would make sure that all His creatures were unable to doubt His existence.

The most widely known modern argument for the hiddenness of God was developed by Canadian philosopher J. L. Schellenberg (b. 1959). Schellenberg argues that God, being perfect and personal, would logically be perfectly loving. Being a loving God, He would therefore seek out (or at least be open to) an emotional connection with all His creatures. So far, this is true and can be supported biblically (see John 3:16 and 1 Timothy 2:4). But Schellenberg goes on to argue that, given God’s character, any person desiring a relationship with God could have it and would therefore be convinced of God’s existence (because you can’t have a relationship with a God you think does not exist).

Schellenberg also observes that, if a God fitting this description were to exist, there would be no “nonresistant nonbelievers.” In other words, there would be no person who both a) would like a relationship with God and b) does not believe in His existence. But, Schellenberg points out, these “nonresistant nonbelievers” do exist. There are people who want to know God and yet find that He is hidden from them. Since, according to the argument, God is loving (and being loving, does not hide Himself from those who desire to know Him), God must not exist.

We should point out that, when the God-man relationship started out, God walked with Adam and Eve in the garden (Genesis 3:8). God was not hidden at all. After man disobeyed God and fell into sin, the man and his wife hid from God. Therefore, it is man who initiated the separation between God and man. We did the hiding, not God.

Furthermore, God has made His existence known through creation (Psalm 19). But man suppresses the knowledge of God in various ways (Romans 1). Now, the “nonresistant nonbeliever” may simply be a person who has grown up in a culture where the philosophies and arguments of resistant unbelievers (those who actively suppress the knowledge of God) are prevalent and taught in school, in media, etc. The man who, in his heart, is not resistant to a relationship with God, yet cannot fathom His existence, has likely been blinded by the lies of those who hate God and want to suppress the knowledge of Him (see 2 Corinthians 4:4). The nonresistant nonbeliever is most likely influenced by philosophies that wickedly hide God’s face from those who might seek to know Him. This is tragic, but it certainly does not prove that God lacks love for His creatures.

In fact, it is God who has reached out to humanity to reconcile the rift between Himself and us caused by sin (2 Corinthians 5:20; Romans 5:10). He promised that, when we seek Him, we will find Him (Jeremiah 29:13). “Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened” (Matthew 7:7–8).

Ironically, in formulating an argument about divine hiddenness, one must rely on biblical revelation of Him. To develop an argument that a perfect Creator does not reveal Himself, we must use God’s own words. The perfect and loving God whom Schellenberg is arguing against is based on a biblical concept of God, that is, the God who is defined in the Bible—Scripture, of course, being itself prime evidence of God’s loving intention to reveal Himself to men.

I have come across an Atheist YouTuber named Alex O'Connor and one of his main arguments against the existence of God is the divine hiddenness argument, but how as theists could we address this argument? It has really dealt a blow to my faith and I need advice ASAP.
I have never heard of that before.

So, do you know that "love" is real ?
You can't see it or hear it...You can't taste it...
But it is real.

You have noted that you are a Christian.
I don't know how long you have defined yourself as such, but did you need to see, or hear God, in order to convert from unbelief and wickedness in the beginning ?
Why do you seek proof of God now ?

is the divine hiddenness argument, but how as theists could we address this argument? It has really dealt a blow to my faith and I need advice ASAP.

As Christian saboteur has said, Why waste your time watching nonsense?

Enrolled in a Christian philosophy course to train yourself how to think about Christianity and philosophy.

An off the cuff answer.
God is not hinded, as psalm say, the sky proclaims the glory of God.
Paul in Romans says that man is without excuse for for not believing in God.
Jerimiah 29:33 I will be found by you, when you seek me with all your heart.

Here's a question.
How urgently does that, or any, atheist search for God?
Do you see them in church or at bible studies and prayer meetings?

Hardly a strong argument, though it should be mulled over. After 50 years of leading the case for Atheism, following Aristotle and Einstein Prof. Anthony Flew switched to deism, the idea that God must be but that he is totally hidden in any direct sense. Flew was convinced by understanding the philosophy of science. And after his 2007 book he made it clear that he had neither lost his marbles nor hoped for postmortem life, assertions made by former friends and colleagues who had dropped him like an unclean thing.

The psalms speak of God’s handiwork revealing him—the smoking bullet. On the biosphere, Perry Marshall almost lost his Christian faith until digging into evolution. Realising that both Random Evolutionism and Intelligent Design were dead ducks, he discovered Intelligent Evolution to be the solution. Namely, a designer kicked off a biological computer code, capable of evolving.

To what extent deity may choose to disclose itself is up to it, surely. Deists go so far; Christians go much further, reckoning it’s up close and personal, that human beings may welcome God’s son as messiah, thus being adopted, even born into his family, and open to fellowship with deity. On the other side, it may be a case that some don’t see because they don’t wish to see; hear not because they don’t wish to hear. Would Stalin of the bloody hands have wished to wake up one morning to hear from one who was the judge of all the earth? We can prefer the safety of Atheism, what Freud called wish-fulfilment. Some top-notch debates may be watched on https://www.premierunbelievable.com/shows/unbelievable.

It also suggests that a perfectly loving God would make sure that all His creatures were unable to doubt His existence.
orthodoxcrusader1996 in other words, this argument would take away the free will and make us all moist robots rather than individuals that could love God.

Arguments like this also are just another attempt to be our own god. It goes back to the question presented to Eve, "Did God really say....?" Then, to the original temptation, "If you take of the fruit you will be like God."

It has really dealt a blow to my faith and I need advice ASAP.
Hi orthodoxcrusader1996

For me, the larger question is why your faith would be rattled because some atheist has an argument against there being a God. Honestly, I'd have to ask, what is your faith in? God and His testimony to you? Or some ramblings of a person who admits that they don't believe there is a God. God gave us a test to know that He is. You don't seem to have passed it.

Oh, and the answer is: 'I know that's not true, but you're free to believe it. Can I show you what convinced me that there is a God?" That keeps him from winning you over to Satan and offers you the opportunity to add one to God's kingdom. What do you think?

God bless,
Ted

Hey All,
The “Argument from Divine Hiddenness” or the “Hiddenness Argument” refers to a family of arguments for atheism. Broadly speaking, these arguments try to demonstrate that, if God existed, He would (or would likely) make the truth of His existence more obvious to everyone than it is.

Divine Hiddenness is an older argument from atheism. There are variants, but the basic argument is that if God exists, then every reasonable person should believe in God. But because God is hidden (not known without faith), and reasonable persons have reasonable disbelief, God does not exist.

It was first elaborated in J. L. Schellenberg's 1993 book Divine Hiddenness and Human Reason.
What has become known as Schellenberg's argument, after J. L. Schellenberg, has three main premises:
(1) If there is a God, he is perfectly loving;
(2) If a perfectly loving God exists, reasonable non belief does not occur;
(3) Reasonable non belief occurs.

Do you see the flaw in the second premise?

The imperfect (man) is dictating to the perfect (God) how the perfect should act. God does not have to act the way we say. God wants us to believe by faith; of which He gives everyone a measure.

Also, the premise is easily turned to the believer's favor.
(2) If perfectly loving God exists, reasonable belief occurs.
(3) Reasonable belief occurs.

Of course my second premise is equally flawed. Because God does not have to act the way I say either.

Nothing like this should rock anyone's faith.
God is perfectly loving.
God has made Himself known to reasonable people who seek Him.
Reasonable people find Him, and believe in Him.

Romans 1:18-20 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

"Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them . . . "
Faith, a measure of faith.

"For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made . . . "
What can we (the things that are made) clearly see, but is invisible?
Love.

Bottom line, don't let stuff like this freak you out.

The quick and easy argument to an atheist is:
If my faith is in vain (not real), what have I lost?
I have had a great life, and I am thankful for it every day.
But what if you are wrong, and God does exist? What have you lost all for not exercising your faith.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

Last edited:
"Atheist YouTuber" should be your first clue.I think there is scripture that states not to concern yourself with arguments of non-believers.
But, it is always good to be prepared in or out of season to try and answer questions other might have whether they are God's own or not.

2Tim 4:1 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;
2Tim 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.
2Tim 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;
2Tim 4:4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
2Tim 4:5 But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.

Back