Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

How do you meet Christian people when you don't attend 'Church'

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Hey Guys,

I have been single for around 7 months, and although it doesn't really 'bother' me, I do miss it.. Turns out my boyfriend (even though also a Christian), he liked flirting with many women on line. And explicitly. Didn't cut it for me i'm afraid.. Hurts but never mind!

So, I don't attend a church. I pray and speak with Christ and the father at home and other peaceful places, so I rarely meet other Christians. In fact, it is mostly by fluke!

Are there other places, congregations, etc that people go to? I really need to meet more people who are in Christ. This world is full of wolves in sheeps clothing and sometimes, it saddens me that I can't call upon another like-minded Christians for a talk etc.

Any ideas!? Feels very lonely here in this world without the love of others in Christ.

When I was slack about church, mostly because of social phobia and embarrassment over being unemployed, I found a Bible Study group hosted in a nice woman's house to go to.

May I ask why you don't attend church...what do you do for Christian fellowship?

Sure, I praise Christ and the father in many ways in other places and with others etc as that's how I choose to do it. Where 1 more more are gathered in the name of the father, his spirit is with you. :study

Sure, I praise Christ and the father in many ways in other places and with others etc as that's how I choose to do it. Where 1 more more are gathered in the name of the father, his spirit is with you. :study

OK...I don't know how it is in London...I was in Dublin a few years back and I know that finding a local church was a lot harder there than here in the states. I would encourage you to seek one out though...surely in a city the size of London there has to be some congregations that are worshiping God and Spirit led.

C-E gives good advice...look for a bible study or fellowship group that you can become a part of. Of course, most of these will probably be affiliated with the local churches there.

:) Also, although it doesn't substitute for worship, I'll plug this site. I've developed close friends here...even though I've never met most of them face-to-face, they are special to me and uplift in my walk with God. :thumbsup

OK...I don't know how it is in London...I was in Dublin a few years back and I know that finding a local church was a lot harder there than here in the states. I would encourage you to seek one out though...surely in a city the size of London there has to be some congregations that are worshiping God and Spirit led.

C-E gives good advice...look for a bible study or fellowship group that you can become a part of. Of course, most of these will probably be affiliated with the local churches there.

:) Also, although it doesn't substitute for worship, I'll plug this site. I've developed close friends here...even though I've never met most of them face-to-face, they are special to me and uplift in my walk with God. :thumbsup

Thank you :) I appreciate your suggestions, and yeah, this site surely seems great! :biggrin

That's true but God tells us

"... not forsaking our own assembling together, as the custom of some is, but exhorting one another, and so much the more, as ye see the day drawing nigh." - HEB. 10:25

The assembling is a reference to the local church. Beloved, Jesus promised to build his church in spite of the devil and death (Matt. 16: 18). Jesus did in fact establish his church ("church" is used in the universal sense, Matt. 16: 18, and in the local sense, 1 Cor. 1: 2). Jesus' church is not an amalgamation of all the man-made religions, but is based on the premise of "one faith" and "one body" (Eph. 4: 5, 4, I Cor. 1: 10).

A number of commandments are to be executed in the assembly. The command to sing and make melody in the heart is an assembly command (notice "one to another," Eph. 5: 19, Col. 3: 16). Giving into the treasury of the local church necessitates the assembly (1 Cor. 16: 1, 2). It is in the assembled local church that Christians commemorate Jesus' death and anticipate his return in partaking of the Lord's Supper (Acts 20: 7, 1 Cor. 11: 23-26).

The Lord's church is essential. The common attitude is "going to church has nothing to do with my salvation." Beloved, this attitude is wrong. The writer of Hebrews equates the abandonment of the local church with falling away from Christ. Apart from Christ and his church, "...there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins" (Heb. 10: 26).​

I found my Bible Study group through my therapist, a devout Christian (and minister). Most of the people there were in his church, but some were like me--not going to church regularly for some reason. I think this might be the way to go for you, personally; its intimate, friendly, and you can bounce ideas off of older, more seasoned believers.

Please don't give up on Church though. Our individual walk with God is strengthened by a good church. Also, once God gets a hold of you, its no longer all about you anymore (I have to remind myself of this ALL the time, so don't think I'm talking down to you...this is as much for me as for you). There's a passage somewhere in the OT, I think...as iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. Something like that (I always paraphrase). My therapist always quoted that to me to remind me that when you're saved, the Church becomes your "real" family. You have to deal with other people's idiosyncrasies, and you might have to call somebody out on their behavior (they might correct you, too); its a learning process, a bunch of imperfect humans acknowledging their need for God and one another. It can be rough, but its beautiful nonetheless.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found my Bible Study group through my therapist, a devout Christian (and minister). Most of the people there were in his church, but some were like me--not going to church regularly for some reason. I think this might be the way to go for you, personally; its intimate, friendly, and you can bounce ideas off of older, more seasoned believers.

Please don't give up on Church though. Our individual walk with God is strengthened by a good church. Also, once God gets a hold of you, its no longer all about you anymore (I have to remind myself of this ALL the time, so don't think I'm talking down to you...this is as much for me as for you). There's a passage somewhere in the OT, I think...as iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. Something like that (I always paraphrase). My therapist always quoted that to me to remind me that when you're saved, the Church becomes your "real" family. You have to deal with other people's idiosyncrasies, and you might have to call somebody out on their behavior (they might correct you, too); its a learning process, a bunch of imperfect humans acknowledging their need for God and one another. It can be rough, but its beautiful nonetheless.

Thank you very much for sharing this with me! :) I attended Christian and C of E Primary schools so was always involved with church then, and growing up, I occasionally found myself walking into a Church to find the spirit of the Lord among myself and others.. It was nice, but I wasn't under full comprehension of the Christian faith and didn't know Jesus personally then so I often found myself wondering what was being read etc.

Now I am very keen to start looking for a Christ Church to attend. I haven't been to one as a 're-born' Christian and am very keen to try it for the Lords sake and for the love of sharing the faith among other people.

So thank you, and others who have written on here, for you have helped me more than you know. It's very new to me to be able to talk among other Christians and I am very happy to have come here!

It is times like these I so heavily see Christs hand.

I would recomend just visit a small church of the denomination you prefer.
It is helpful to have a church to find answers in, rather then just a prayer group.

My parents brought me up Christian, but taught me through actions that Christ is good, but organized religion is about the glory and power of the hyporcrits in church. (it was what they experienced in one church)

It took many years to test the waters, and when I found my church, it was amazing. I am a part time attendee now, I go to a larger church to meet more people(well thats the goal, but hasn't really happened yet.), and they have a singles group too. Christian singles doing things together, even if there is no one that interests me...so far. But the singles group is small and in early development.

If you don't go to church, you can only meet Christians with the few Christians you know. ie the more Christians you know, the more you can know.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back